PDA

View Full Version : "The Elite"

soonabooma
06-03-2010, 05:23 PM
I was thinking about the truly elite organizations in the league, and I came to the conclusion that there have only been 4 organizations to make it into the "blessed elite" category since the league was formed.....Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, and Spurs. That's really it. Nobody else is in this group, even those that may have won a title. So I'm wondering, when will the next great franchise come along, when will another team make it to the 1st-tier?

beasted86
06-03-2010, 05:24 PM
You can almost add Pistons. They only have 3 titles... but they dominated 2 short spans of basketball.

But 2010 free agency my birth another dynasty. Can't wait.

soonabooma
06-03-2010, 05:27 PM
You can almost add Pistons. They only have 3 titles... but they dominated 2 short spans of basketball.

I thought about them, but they're still not with those 4, they would be the front of the pack in the 2nd-tier.

Korman12
06-03-2010, 06:11 PM
The Pistons and Bulls were elite at times, but weren't consistent like the Celtics and Lakers are.

I hate admitting it, but organization wise the Lakers and Celtics have always been a tier above everyone else.

hugepatsfan
06-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Tier 1 - BOS, LA
Tier 2 - CHI, SA, DET

BOS and LA have been consistantly dominate (with down periods sprinkled in for both). CHI and SA have each been average excpet for MJ and Duncan eras. That speaks more to the greatness of those players than it does the organizations (although both teams did a great job of surrounding their stars with the right pieces). DET hasn't won enough to be in tier 1.

Ray_R
06-03-2010, 06:40 PM
^^^^^^^^that

GSW Hoops
06-03-2010, 06:42 PM
How elite were the Bulls before Jordan got there? And how elite have they been since?

Celtics and Lakers have been consistently elite (with up and down periods, of course) throughout NBA history. Look at the 1980s: not a single year went by when either the Celts or Lakers were involved in a Finals.

Bulls had an elite team with Jordan, but that doesn't make them an elite franchise.

ldc62
06-03-2010, 06:43 PM
So I guess being "elite" means you just have to semi-dominate a decade...

Kakaroach
06-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Of course there are the Lakers and the Celtics, but you can't forget the Spurs and the Jazz. So rare for small market teams to almost always be in the playoffs and be relevant.

GSW Hoops
06-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Of course there are the Lakers and the Celtics, but you can't forget the Spurs and the Jazz. So rare for small market teams to almost always be in the playoffs and be relevant.

And Houston for at least the past two decades.

mikantsass
06-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Bulls are an elite franchise? No no no no no no no no

RadiantShot
06-03-2010, 07:46 PM
How bout' we just add everyone in to the elite teams list, since that's what the thread's turning out to be. ;)

Truheatfan
06-03-2010, 08:05 PM
And Houston for at least the past two decades.

houston has been pretty succesful and if yao can stay healthy there gonna be really tough to beat

ItsTheLastAce
06-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Other than the Lakers and Celtics I dont think you can call any other organization "elite". Like another person said, some teams were dominate because of an elite player like MJ, Stockton and Malone ect ect. I think in order to be considered an Elite franchise you have to be dominate consistently through out history.

SteveNash
06-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Lakers are the only really elite team. They've only missed the playoffs 5 times. Boston missed the playoffs 16 times.

DCB/LAL
06-03-2010, 09:32 PM
The only time the Bulls were "Elite" was when Jordan was there and MJ isn't walking through their doors to play ever again so I wouldn't really call them "Elite" IMO.

Raoul Duke
06-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Boston and and LA have set themselves apart from the rest of the league. If you base your opinion on rings, then SA and Chicago form the next stratosphere, with everybody else next.

In my opinion, Chicago, SA, Detroit, Portland, Utah and Phoenix are all very respectable franchises that I wouldn't be ashamed to root for. I wouldn't root for Boston or LA unless I lived in one of the two cities.

ldc62
06-03-2010, 11:27 PM
^^^^^
How is Houston not elite? They won during the MJ era (yea yea MJ didn't actually play in the years they won, but it was still his era). 2 championships..... yet the Suns are elite with 0?

soonabooma
06-04-2010, 04:29 AM
We're talking about championships. That's all that matters. So you've either got 4 teams in the top tier, or you put Chicago and San Antonio in the 2nd tier. Either way, these are the clear cut top 4, regardless of how they got there. My question was....who will be next. I didn't know I was asking such a difficult question. Retards are not allowed to even attempt to answer this. Just take your time, clear your mind, get your brain ready, and attempt to give some kind of a legit answer. If it's too tough for you, then don't even try.....don't strain your brain.

abe_froman
06-04-2010, 04:53 AM
How elite were the Bulls before Jordan got there? And how elite have they been since?

Celtics and Lakers have been consistently elite (with up and down periods, of course) throughout NBA history. Look at the 1980s: not a single year went by when either the Celts or Lakers were involved in a Finals.

Bulls had an elite team with Jordan, but that doesn't make them an elite franchise.

not to call bulls elite.but are getting undersold,the bulls of the early/mid 70's were somewhat akin the suns or mavs this decade.in the upper echelon(awesome regular season teams averaging over a .6oo win% each season).getting close ,but never making the dance.
as well though not great or even elite they have made it above board(making the playoffs)on a pretty regular basis in recent years.

as well there isnt/hasnt been that much championship pedigree among org's,winning them in different eras(i can count on one hand the number that have),so almost every ring that has been won for a org has only gotten them with their one guy as well(like.all of the rockets championships are hakeem's,all of ny's came from that one group,all of the spurs have been won during tim's era,ect.),so that all the rings being mj's isnt that odd when speaking of nba franchise's and the championships they have

like i said,not calling them elite.but there seems to be a need for some things to think about/know,for a more informed discussion

xBLAMEITON24x
06-04-2010, 05:49 AM
Lakers are the only really elite team. They've only missed the playoffs 5 times. Boston missed the playoffs 16 times.

This

RNess78c
06-04-2010, 06:00 AM

Jazz :shrug: and san antonio are on different levels

Bulls are elite it took them time to make a come back but thats because they lost there whole team in 98-99 if rodman pippen and others stayed they would of made it to the playoffs still! maybe even championships

Elite Lakers Celtics Bulls Spurs

Semi Elite Miami Detroit Houston

Great franchises Jazz,Suns,Blazers,Mavs,Knicks ETC

GSW Hoops
06-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Jazz :shrug: and san antonio are on different levels

Bulls are elite it took them time to make a come back but thats because they lost there whole team in 98-99 if rodman pippen and others stayed they would of made it to the playoffs still! maybe even championships

Elite Lakers Celtics Bulls Spurs

Semi Elite Miami Detroit Houston

Great franchises Jazz,Suns,Blazers,Mavs,Knicks ETC

Miami is semi-elite? Wow.

Lakers and Celtics are elite. Period.

BOSTON617
06-04-2010, 10:17 AM

who has more championships :rolleyes:

GSW Hoops
06-04-2010, 12:22 PM
who has more championships :rolleyes:

Exactly. Making the playoffs consistently doesn't make a team elite, winning titles does.

Raoul Duke
06-04-2010, 03:22 PM
We're talking about championships. That's all that matters. So you've either got 4 teams in the top tier, or you put Chicago and San Antonio in the 2nd tier. Either way, these are the clear cut top 4, regardless of how they got there. My question was....who will be next. I didn't know I was asking such a difficult question. Retards are not allowed to even attempt to answer this. Just take your time, clear your mind, get your brain ready, and attempt to give some kind of a legit answer. If it's too tough for you, then don't even try.....don't strain your brain.

You can't judge a franchise based solely on championships. If you do, then Phoenix and Utah are the same as Minny and Memphis. Plus, it's not really a discussion that way. If you're judging based on rings then don't ask for opinions, just look it up on wikipedia and theres your answer.

RaiderLakersA's
06-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Tier 1 - BOS, LA

Agree.

I would define a "blessed Elite" as an organization that has double-digit championship titles. Any organization with 5-9 championships falls into a second caste; below 5 championships, into a third caste; etc., etc.

Bruno
06-04-2010, 04:12 PM

But 2010 free agency my birth another dynasty. Can't wait.

Yeah, I was gona say Detroit would be #5.

CANOWNED
06-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Are you a Bulls fan? The NBA Elite are the Lakers and Celtics, that's it.