PDA

View Full Version : First time in Chicago

kpetro
06-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Hey Cubs fans,

Every summer, a bunch of friends and I travel to a different city to catch a baseball game or two. Our hope is for one day to visit every stadium (8 down, 22 to go). This August, we plan on flying to Chicago to watch your Cubs at Wrigley, and the White Sox at U.S. Cellular. Our two options are August 14 - August 17, or August 28 - August 31 (Saturday morning to Tuesday night).

I just have a few questions for you if you wouldn't mind. I hope it's okay to post this here.

1. How far are the two airports from the stadiums?
2. What are our transit options to-and-from games/hotel? (bus, train, taxi) **I'm only 23 so we cannot rent a car**
3. Any hotels that you recommend or general areas we should look?
4. Any good bars you recommend?
5. Any big attractions/landmarks that we definitely need to visit?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

From,
kpetro - Mets fan.

P.S. - Psyched for Wrigley.

Matchstckman
06-02-2010, 06:25 PM
1.) Each airport is about a 30-45 minute EL Train ride (Blue line for O'Hare, Orange for Midway) downtown. From there you can hop on the Red Line to either stadium. You can get off at the Addison Blue Line stop and take the Addison Bus to Wrigley if you are going straight to the game from the airport, but I don't know if I'd want to deal with a lot of luggage on that bus.

2.) It depends where your hotel is at but if its downtown/loop it's about a 5 minute ride to U.S. Cellular south on the Red Line and about 10-15 north on the Red to Wrigley.

3.) There are hotels relatively close to Wrigley, but you might be better served to stay closer to downtown. It's still not far from either park and you'll have more varieties of hotels. The one I'd recommend is the Marriot at Grand and Rush, but that's only because it's the only Chicago hotel I've ever stayed at. Not sure about hotels around U.S. Cellular.

4.) Hangge Uppe (Elm and State) for late night...open til 4 or 5 depending on the day of the week. Fun, and always packed and they play oldies/80s music and its a great time. Also anywhere down Lincoln Avenue in Lincoln Park or even just in Wrigleyville.

5.) Just make sure you get some deep dish pizza (I recommend Lou Malnati's but Giordano's or Gino's East are also solid.) Maybe get an Italian Beef at Al's or Portillos. Also, I'd just recommend walking around different neighborhoods and just check out the architecture and such. Some cool ones are Bucktown, Northcenter, Uptown, Lincoln Park, Bronzeville, and the West Loop.

Hope this helps.

scrubs101
06-02-2010, 06:33 PM
priceline a hotel in River North.......you'll be right by a red line stop and in an area that has everything you need

Cub_StuckinSTL
06-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Matchstkman.....you're obsessed with the hangge uppe...its not that great

Matchstckman
06-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Matchstkman.....you're obsessed with the hangge uppe...its not that great

I'm sorry but you're wrong. It really is that great.

Tehjosha
06-02-2010, 07:16 PM
While we're on this topic again, let me ask you local guys a question.

I'll be up there next month for the Phillies weekend series, and I'm flying into Chicago for the first time (always driven).

Is it easier to fly into O'Hare or Midway if I'll be staying downtown, or does it really matter either way?

Matchstckman
06-02-2010, 07:22 PM
While we're on this topic again, let me ask you local guys a question.

I'll be up there next month for the Phillies weekend series, and I'm flying into Chicago for the first time (always driven).

Is it easier to fly into O'Hare or Midway if I'll be staying downtown, or does it really matter either way?

Here's my take: O'Hare's a little bit farther away from the loop, but it's easier to get on the Blue Line at O'Hare. At Midway you have to walk like a mile to get out to the CTA station. But really it's a toss-up. Whereever you get cheaper airfare is the best way to go.

Tehjosha
06-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Here's my take: O'Hare's a little bit farther away from the loop, but it's easier to get on the Blue Line at O'Hare. At Midway you have to walk like a mile to get out to the CTA station. But really it's a toss-up. Whereever you get cheaper airfare is the best way to go.

Cheapest airfare it is, thanks dude.

gocubs2118
06-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Whatever you do, don't go to Hugo's Frog Bar!

ggross
06-02-2010, 07:40 PM
priceline a hotel in River North.......you'll be right by a red line stop and in an area that has everything you need

This! Gold Coast area is my favorite. Once you're at the hotel, take the red line to and from the game. Great food and bars all around... The hotel guys can tell you exactly where to go.

chitowncubears1
06-02-2010, 09:00 PM
if you going to wrigley field stay at the "W" Center hotel on 172 West Adams Street. is next to the blue line/brown line and the willis tower (formerly knows as the sears tower) is one block away on adams street.

AllStar44
06-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Next time I'm coming to Chicago, i'm gonna ask some questions. Last time I went to Chicago it was for the first time since I was a little kid and somehow we ended up in (not sure how to spell it but) ceicero.

I felt a little outta place. No offense to anybody living there.

Diehdcubsfan2
06-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Next time I'm coming to Chicago, i'm gonna ask some questions. Last time I went to Chicago it was for the first time since I was a little kid and somehow we ended up in (not sure how to spell it but) ceicero.

Haha, Cicero. I've been there before. Its just a bunch of wanna bees trying to bang and ****.

I live about one hour away from Wrigley, so honestly I have no idea what hotel to stay at. I would go O'hare instead of Midway.

And Uno's downtown is a must.

scrubs101
06-03-2010, 12:48 AM
if you going to wrigley field stay at the "W" Center hotel on 172 West Adams Street. is next to the blue line/brown line and the willis tower (formerly knows as the sears tower) is one block away on adams street.

but there really isn't anything to do over there...

jacquewho?
06-03-2010, 01:30 AM
i remember my first time in chicago...but then my mom got a job.

croce_99
06-03-2010, 04:35 AM
Just priceline a hotel downtown. If you're only going to be in Chicago for a couple days, stay somewhere nice and use public transportation. Driving in Chicago sucks, so let some taxi dude drive 100 mph and get honked at. Pay the extra money so you're not stressed out with the traffic :laugh2:

Not even kidding, took me 1 hour 45 minutes to get from the Cubs Irving Parking Lot to I-90 last week.
Yes....just under 2 hours. I don't know the distance, but I know it's not more than 15 miles.

Cub_StuckinSTL
06-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Just priceline a hotel downtown. If you're only going to be in Chicago for a couple days, stay somewhere nice and use public transportation. Driving in Chicago sucks, so let some taxi dude drive 100 mph and get honked at. Pay the extra money so you're not stressed out with the traffic :laugh2:

Not even kidding, took me 1 hour 45 minutes to get from the Cubs Irving Parking Lot to I-90 last week.
Yes....just under 2 hours. I don't know the distance, but I know it's not more than 15 miles.

you coulda made it a lot faster if you didn't drive like my grandma

poodski
06-03-2010, 08:35 AM

Don't both airports have cabs that you can get that will take you right to Wrigley field?

Yagyu+
06-03-2010, 10:51 AM

I used to work in a warehouse in Cicero, repairing election machines. But really all we did was play a lot of spades, shoot dice out back on paydays, and drink heavily while we rode the pink line back into the city.

You can do all this and more with two degrees in International/Intercultural Studies and Sociology.

Yagyu+
06-03-2010, 10:53 AM
i remember my first time in chicago...but then my mom got a job.

Let's be realistic, it's not really a job if she can't file it on a W2.

She was putting in work though.

Yagyu+
06-03-2010, 11:16 AM
kpetro,

No reason to bore you with Chicago steak houses and some other big city odds and ends since you live in New York -- y'all have Keen's and Peter Luger's.

Bari and J.P. Graziano's though have some mean sandwiches. Both are Italian grocers in the West Loop. Worth it if you can get over there.

If you miss New York style pizza, go to Santulo's on North Avenue. It's right by a three-way intersection in Bucktown/Wicker Park with Damen and Milwaukee. There's some decent night life around there. If you want a prohibition era coctail that takes 10 minutes to make go to Violet Hour -- it doesn't have a sign, but there's a lightbulb above a door that blends into the wooden, non-windowed facade. Worth it.

Across the street from Violet Hour is a specialty taco/whiskey/tequila bar called Big Star. It's owned and run by a group who runs some of the nicer restaurants in town. They make their su chefs prepare the tacos, which are ******* gourmet. They've got draft Schlitz for a dollar.

North of there is a bar called Silver Cloud. Homemade Sloppy Joe's. From scratch. You can get stuffing and tater tots with any item on the menu. It's all comfort food. It's all good.

Urban Belly, Belly Shack, Smoque, Hot Doug's, Kuma's, Lula's, Tank Noodle, San Soo Gab San are all great.

Smart Bar, in the basement of the Metro -- which is right across Clark from Wrigley Field -- has just about the best sound system in the city if you like to go out clubbing.

Salt & Pepper Diner just south of Addison on Clark is my pre-Cubs game tradition. That and a flask of Jameson. And a pitcher.

Gigi's is a sex shop located on Armitage and Pulaski. Careful though, the Four Corner Hustlers are waring on the West Side. And if you find yourself in the Wild Wild 100's, make sure you stop by Old Fashioned Donuts for an apple fritter or glazed croissant.

At the very least, it's hard to beat the lakefront during the warmer months. Millennium/Grant Parks are free, and it'll be perfect outside.

Matchstckman
06-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Don't both airports have cabs that you can get that will take you right to Wrigley field?

Oh sure. It'll cost you more but that's obviously always an option.

ggross
06-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Oh sure. It'll cost you more but that's obviously always an option.

Nobody is going to take a cab from the airport straight to the park. What would you do with the luggage?

kpetro
06-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks so much for all the responses. I really appreciate it.

We just purchased our plane tickets to Midland Airport. We're going August 13th (Friday) to August 17th (Tuesday).

Games:
Saturday- White Sox vs. Detroit
Monday- Cubs vs. the Padres.

Looking forward to it!

croce_99
06-04-2010, 03:59 PM

We just purchased our plane tickets to Midland Airport. We're going August 13th (Friday) to August 17th (Tuesday).

Games:

Looking forward to it!

Don't buy your Cubs/padres tickets until the night before the game.
August + Monday = You'll get very nice seats for very little money

kpetro
06-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Don't buy your Cubs/padres tickets until the night before the game.
August + Monday = You'll get very nice seats for very little money

Alright, thanks. We wanted to go to a day game at Wrigley but none of the dates in August worked for us.

Matchstckman
06-05-2010, 02:13 AM

Games:

Looking forward to it!

I hope you mean Midway or God knows where you end up.

Cess
06-05-2010, 10:32 AM
First time I went to Chicago, I took the bus from the hotel to Wrigley. Traffic was slow because of all the pedestrians around the park, so I got off the bus a couple stops early and ran the rest of the way. Even though it wasn't anywhere near my seat, I went in a gate under the red sign. It gave me goosebumps.

I was glad I still had my sunglasses on, because when I walked up the steps and saw the field, I have to admit I teared up a little. I'm a girl, so I can get away with these things.

So my advice is to wear sunglasses just in case.

ggross
06-05-2010, 11:36 AM
First time I went to Chicago, I took the bus from the hotel to Wrigley. Traffic was slow because of all the pedestrians around the park, so I got off the bus a couple stops early and ran the rest of the way. Even though it wasn't anywhere near my seat, I went in a gate under the red sign. It gave me goosebumps.

I was glad I still had my sunglasses on, because when I walked up the steps and saw the field, I have to admit I teared up a little. I'm a girl, so I can get away with these things.

So my advice is to wear sunglasses just in case.

I wish I still had your enthusiasm...

jacquewho?
06-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Nobody is going to take a cab from the airport straight to the park. What would you do with the luggage?

Or perhaps...what WOULDN'T you do with the luggage? ;)

scrubs101
06-07-2010, 12:19 PM

sure if you like sitting in traffic for hours and paying out your *** for the ride

kpetro
06-09-2010, 07:04 PM
I hope you mean Midway or God knows where you end up.

Haha, yes, I meant Midway.

I'll be back closer to travel time with a few more questions if you all don't mind. Again, I really appreciate all your help and suggestions.