SLY WILLIAMS
06-01-2010, 02:03 PM
NBA “Free Agent Summit” Not Happening
Published: Tuesday, 1 Jun 2010 | 1:12 PM ET
Text Size
By: Darren Rovell
CNBC Sports Business Reporter

There is no free agent summit.

LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Amar’e Stoudamire aren’t meeting in some undisclosed location to sit down and plan the future of the NBA.

Wade’s agent Henry Thomas told Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that last week, but, for some reason, the news hasn’t spread to most of the media who continue to talk about what was shaping up to the greatest NBA meeting of all time.

Today, we spoke to Thomas, who also counts Bosh as a client, to clear things up again.

“Dwyane never made reference to a summit,” Thomas told me. “He said that he’d have conversations with some of these guys and that still will happen. These guys came into the league at the same time and they’re in similar situations, so it’s unrealistic to think that they won’t talk. But there’s no summit of any kind planned where they’ll all be in the same location.”

Thomas laughs at how big the story has become. A Google search of "free agent summit" pulls up 61,000 hits.

“The way it was first characterized and the way it continues to be characterized – as if the only thing left to determine is a date and a location – is not the reality,” Thomas said.

Happy Walters, the agent for Stoudamire, also called the summit idea out of hand.

"They're all friends and they all talk," Walters said. "But the idea that they're all in this together and they're going to say, 'OK, you go here and I go there,' that's not happening. People just need something good to talk about."

Just as there are tampering rules with owners, there are also tampering rules with players, though that’s harder to regulate if the players aren’t commenting about it in the media.

"We have a rule that prohibits players from tampering with other players,” NBA spokesman Mike Bass said. “With that said, we understand that players talk and interact with each all the time and there's no real way to regulate that. We therefore reserve discipline only for the most egregious player tampering cases."

The other talk has been about the sports agency CAA and the control that they wield in the free agent negotiations. Thomas works for CAA as does Leon Rose, who represents LeBron James.

“To some extent, we do have control because we’re all under the same umbrella,” Thomas said. “We’re going to have really solid information on what’s going on that will clearly benefit our guys. And that’s the goal - to get our players the best deals they can get.”

The great free agent class shaped up the way it did because James, Wade and Bosh didn’t sign max contracts when they could have in 2006.

“The only reason this is happening is that, at least with my guys, we wanted to give them the best flexibility at the very prime of their careers, which is now,” Thomas said. “We also wanted to do it when we knew what the rules were going to be and by that I mean that we’re still under the current Collective Bargaining Agreement. And they understood that.”http://www.cnbc.com/id/37450738

heathonater
06-01-2010, 03:26 PM
even if this meeting doesnt occur, im sure they will all contact each other and figure out their respective plans for this summer's free agency.

Raoul Duke
06-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Am I the only one who assumed they were all going to talk on cell phones? It's not like they have to meet up in a war room or some such nonsense...

arkanian215
06-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Am I the only one who assumed they were all going to talk on cell phones? It's not like they have to meet up in a war room or some such nonsense...

I thought they'd all go down to Miami on vacation and relax and call it a summit.

So there is a player tampering rule...I definitely didn't know that. It makes sense though.

Sadds The Gr8
06-01-2010, 03:40 PM

this is what I originally thought too, until this whole "meeting" thing came up...

RaiderLakersA's
06-01-2010, 03:41 PM

That was the impression that I had. Not a formal conference, or even a conference call, but simply connecting with each other at various times via the phone or what have you to discuss their thought processes. I think the media took Wade's statement and contorted it. No surprise there.

Rego247
06-01-2010, 03:47 PM
i feel this meeting has been hyped like a mafia style sitdown.

all the heads of the 5 families meeting in an undisclosed location. lol

MaHaRaJaH
06-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Or l Freemasons lol ^^^

BkOriginalOne
06-01-2010, 03:57 PM
It was never going to be televised anyway so why is this news.
We all Know Lebron is going to leave.
Wade will Stay.
Amare will probably stay.
BOSH. Joe Johnson and Boozer will probably move.

iggypop123
06-01-2010, 03:58 PM
i think they had to cancel it once joe jonhson invited himself.

RadiantShot
06-01-2010, 04:09 PM
If T.J. Ford, and Mike James met up, this wouldn't even be a discussion

NY Till I Die
06-01-2010, 04:15 PM
I personally like this to a degree. It could send messages to owners that the players are together and speaking and those little dark organizational secrets will be let out and factored into the decision making process.

Not like it wasn't happening before but the owners have meetings, so why not the players.

Its 2010, they can video conference this "meeting". They dont have to physically be in the same place at the same time. Just log in at the designated time.

Hopefully Wade, or Stoudamire want to come to NY, Chicago seems like they are not the favorite anymore with the way they treat their former players.

smith&wesson
06-01-2010, 04:51 PM
How do we know all these guys like eachother any ways ?
if i was drafted with so and so player it wouldnt mean that im automatically friends with them would it ?

97NYer
06-01-2010, 05:18 PM
They are still going to talk so this isn't really news.

thescore53
06-01-2010, 05:29 PM
yea espn makes it seem he said they'll meet up before july 1st and sit and talk, wtf i read wade said and i'm thinking to myself when did he mention a summit, really espn is like a gossiping girl who wont shut the **** up

Kakaroach
06-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Their still gonna talk it over with one another I think, but its just not gonna be the get-together in some hotel room in Las Vegas that ESPN is making it out to be.

Raoul Duke
06-01-2010, 06:10 PM
I can't fathom any scenario in which they don't talk to eachother about their options. I mean, these guys are friends and co-workers. If you were making a major work related decision, wouldn't you talk to your friends and co-workers about it?

kozelkid
06-01-2010, 06:30 PM
I personally like this to a degree. It could send messages to owners that the players are together and speaking and those little dark organizational secrets will be let out and factored into the decision making process.

Not like it wasn't happening before but the owners have meetings, so why not the players.

Its 2010, they can video conference this "meeting". They dont have to physically be in the same place at the same time. Just log in at the designated time.

Hopefully Wade, or Stoudamire want to come to NY, Chicago seems like they are not the favorite anymore with the way they treat their former players.

Hate to break it to you, but that was complete BS by Wade.
In fact Chicago has probably the most ex-players working in their FO. And for the record, Pippen also writes for the Bulls. The only one that was true was MJ, and that's cause he wanted to own a team... and given his history with management and evaluating players, I'm happy he's in no way controlling Bulls moves.
Also the irony is that Miami has the least ex-players working for them (all minor roles too) AND Wade is talking about loyalty yet he is yet to mention that he will stay in Miami.

beasted86
06-01-2010, 06:45 PM
yea espn makes it seem he said they'll meet up before july 1st and sit and talk, wtf i read wade said and i'm thinking to myself when did he mention a summit, really espn is like a gossiping girl who wont shut the **** up

Chris Broussard really annoys me the most. His sources are complete s__t. I still recall him going live on ESPN saying 'Kobe Bryant will never play another game in a Laker jersey' :facepalm:

Anyway, all these guys will still talk and try and find out what team which guy is going to, or try to convince eachother and recruit for the team they are going to.

td0tsfinest
06-01-2010, 06:49 PM
They will talk. Maybe they called it off cause Amare wanted in ;)

thescore53
06-01-2010, 07:09 PM
i wonder who chris boussards sources are

gwrighter
06-01-2010, 08:14 PM
I could see all of their agents getting together to talk, considering it is their job. Some of the FA's will prob get together as a couple of them are a little bit more then acquaintances.

Rego247
06-01-2010, 08:33 PM
i wonder who chris boussards sources are

chris boussard. lol.

dbeastly
06-01-2010, 08:38 PM
How do we know all these guys like eachother any ways ?
if i was drafted with so and so player it wouldnt mean that im automatically friends with them would it ?

I know at least Wade and Lebron are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX-zzQs0aks

Raps08-09 Champ
06-01-2010, 08:45 PM
They trying to throw you off. They gotta talk in downtown Toronto but they telling us it's actually the G8 and G20 summit.

thescore53
06-01-2010, 08:46 PM
ye bosh already said him and wade arent close friends

Raps08-09 Champ
06-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Just cuz they aren't close friends doesn't mean they can't meet up and talk.

It's like in school when you have a project. You still gotta meet up to work on it even if you don't talk to them a lot.

BaustinSali08
06-01-2010, 08:49 PM
I envision them sitting at round table wearing silver plated armor, all the while John Clayton serves drinks.

King Drew
06-01-2010, 09:15 PM
im pretty sure they never had plans of actually meeting up somewhere hidden and talking like mobsters.

Jetracer
06-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Come on guys, lebron and company are just getting together so they can go butterfly catching and weave baskets amid the scenic grassy meadows.