PDA

View Full Version : What is our biggest need and how can we address it?

Cubsfan365
05-31-2010, 08:09 PM
This team is obviously under-performing, and some combination of moves must be made if we are going to compete. What do you guys think our biggest need or needs are, considering there is definitely more than one? What would you like to see the team do in order to address those needs, whether it be in house or before July 31?

Tabou71
05-31-2010, 08:21 PM
well offense is a must...timely hitting....i would love to see some more speed....i love how byrd plays....so much hustle.....he leaves it out on the field...as a position player....its a tough call for me....rammy is my favorite player...i would hate to replace him...however, he is not producing like he should...im hoping he snaps out of it soon.

3rd or 2nd base....if this is the trend for the remaining of the year, i wouldnt even worry about trying to fix, i would unload.

gocubs2118
05-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Our biggest need is for Rammy and Lee to get their head out of their *****. They are killing us right now.

ChiCubsFan
05-31-2010, 09:12 PM
Our biggest need is for Rammy and Lee to get their head out of their *****. They are killing us right now.

this is it

daddies3angels
05-31-2010, 09:51 PM
its OVER

croce_99
05-31-2010, 10:04 PM

Exactly.

Starting pitching is perfectly fine.
Bullpen destroyed us to start the season. They have looked better (you can not blame the loss on the bullpen today)

Closer is completely fine.

Now that Grabow is gone for a few weeks, the bullpen will be better.

The offense is just killing us right now. 3-4-5 hitters (as a group) are NOT driving in the runs.

Lee and Ramirez can NOT bat back-to-back in the 3rd and 4th spot. I don't give a **** about salary or about how many years they have been in the league. The last 10 years mean nothing to me. "What have you done for me lately" is my attitude. And this year, they are absolutely killing us.

We aren't trading Lee and we aren't trading Ramirez...that's a fact. And you know damn well they're not going to be benched.

So it's as simple as those 2 players playing to their career average. And that doesn't look like it'll happen anytime soon.
Also, it doesn't help when Soto is struggling, too.

NORTH10
05-31-2010, 10:05 PM
Starting pitching has been great.

Bullpen has stepped it up.

Aramis, DLee sucking *** doesn't help. They start getting hot, everything falls into place.

Vandelay16
05-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Angels are looking for a 1B, Lee could be shipped there...

Guy Montag
05-31-2010, 10:49 PM
I know DLee has been bad so far, but he really doesn't worry me as much as Aramis. The former has shown some positive signs lately, and other than not hitting with runners in scoring position, this is fairly close to what he did last year before he shaped up and had a great year.

Aramis, on the other hand, looks lost out there. I can't help but think of the things people were saying about Ortiz earlier this year, only at that time Ortiz breaking out of his funk seemed much less likely to me than Aramis breaking out of his.

Now I wish the two could swap May stats.

DamnGoat
05-31-2010, 11:07 PM
A manager that isn't scared to move Ramirez out of the cleanup spot. Just swapping him and Soriano would help this offense quite a bit IMO, but it won't happen. So Aramis just needs to start hitting and judging by how he's looked through the first couple months I don't see him hitting any time soon, so we'll keep on having these low scoring, inconsistent offensive games.

ty_smitty21
05-31-2010, 11:09 PM
It's ridiculous that it's the last day of May, and Lee and Ramy are still hitting 3rd and 4th. They've been our 2 worst starting players all season long. Who cares if they are big names... they ain't producing. Move them down in the order!

The pen might be in good shape if Cashner does well. Let's hope Big Z gets it going in the rotation as well.

The offense consistently gets 8 or 9 hits, but only 1 or 2 runs. I think Colvin deserves more playing time. But bottom line: this team will live or die on Lee and Ramirez. That's enough to scare ya for this season.

ty_smitty21
05-31-2010, 11:11 PM
A manager that isn't scared to move Ramirez out of the cleanup spot. Just swapping him and Soriano would help this offense quite a bit IMO, but it won't happen. So Aramis just needs to start hitting and judging by how he's looked through the first couple months I don't see him hitting any time soon, so we'll keep on having these low scoring, inconsistent offensive games.

yep. Follow @FakeSweetLou on twitter.

Lou needs to try and do more to shake things up.

Instead, he says things like "Colvin deserves to play," then doesn't play him. Or yesterday he said, "Changes are coming to the lineup," and the only change was Fontenot for Theriot.

HotRuta
05-31-2010, 11:22 PM
Time to get serious ... this team isn't going to win a playoff slot, let alone the Division. Even if they did --- does anyone really think that this team could win a World Series? The goal is to be the best team in baseball, NOT just get into the playoffs where "anything can happen".

Under any sensible scenario, A-Ram would have lost his job weeks ago. D-Lee should be battling to hold on to his. And we need to build for the FUTURE, not keep thinking that we can just patch up a team that peaked two years ago.

You wanna get aggressive? Put Soriano at third (I know, I know ... but he HAS played Third before); put Chad Tracy at first (while he's still hot); and put Colvin in LF so he can continue to grow. Bring up more youngsters as soon as they show they've got a shot at making it. After all --- the youngsters were the ones that made the team successful in Spring Training; this team lost its heart when we sent them back down and plugged the veterans back in.

We need to stop worrying about getting playing time for guys that won't be here two years --- or even one year --- from now.

DamnGoat
05-31-2010, 11:25 PM
yep. Follow @FakeSweetLou on twitter.

Lou needs to try and do more to shake things up.

Instead, he says things like "Colvin deserves to play," then doesn't play him. Or yesterday he said, "Changes are coming to the lineup," and the only change was Fontenot for Theriot.
He a giant puss. If he really wanted to make changes he'd take two of our least productive hitters this season and move them out of the 3-4 spot and give someone else a chance there. There's absolutely no reason to be 1-6 against a terrible team like the Pirates, but when you're manager just keeps throwing the same crap out there every day then what do expect?

toovey107
05-31-2010, 11:26 PM
It's too bad Soto is slumping now too , a switch of Sori to the 3 and Soto batting clean up would def be more effective. IDK Lee and especially Ramirez need to be moved down.

zambo4president
05-31-2010, 11:29 PM

Yupp, your "stars" will carry you.

hoggin88
05-31-2010, 11:52 PM
You wanna get aggressive? Put Soriano at third (I know, I know ... but he HAS played Third before); put Chad Tracy at first (while he's still hot); and put Colvin in LF so he can continue to grow. Bring up more youngsters as soon as they show they've got a shot at making it. After all --- the youngsters were the ones that made the team successful in Spring Training; this team lost its heart when we sent them back down and plugged the veterans back in.

Yikes, if they were to do something like that, I would at least hope they would put Sori at second at Fontenot at 3rd or something more like that. Soriano has 65 career innings at 3B and over 6,700 at 2B. Granted, he was supposedly a pretty awful second baseman but right now I honestly wouldn't give a **** if they decided to try it out.

toovey107
06-01-2010, 12:16 AM
Putting Soriano anywhere besides maybe 1B in the future is beyond stupid.

hoggin88
06-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Putting Soriano anywhere besides maybe 1B in the future is beyond stupid.

So... Sori at 1B, Colvin in LF, Fontenot at 2B, Koyie Hill at 3B. Since Koyie is a switch hitter he basically fills every need you would ever have. Plus he doesn't get paid much which means he'll hustle more and probably outproduce 2008 Aramis.

That is my plan and I'm going to tell Lou about it.

HotRuta
06-01-2010, 12:26 AM
Yikes, if they were to do something like that, I would at least hope they would put Sori at second at Fontenot at 3rd or something more like that. Soriano has 65 career innings at 3B and over 6,700 at 2B. Granted, he was supposedly a pretty awful second baseman but right now I honestly wouldn't give a **** if they decided to try it out.

I don't think Soriano can do 2B anymore --- and I would hate to have him screw up Castro's pivot on DPs. 1B is more demanding than 3B (requires holding runners on, and mental participation in every play); Sori has a solid, accurate arm that would be better utilized at Third. But I wouldn't rule out either corner --- starting next year; I wouldn't want to have to watch him learning 1B over the next 100 games.

I would like him to not be playing LF next year --- he has an ongoing aversion to walls ...

hoggin88
06-01-2010, 12:35 AM
I don't think Soriano can do 2B anymore --- and I would hate to have him screw up Castro's pivot on DPs. 1B is more demanding than 3B (requires holding runners on, and mental participation in every play); Sori has a solid, accurate arm that would be better utilized at Third. But I wouldn't rule out either corner --- starting next year; I wouldn't want to have to watch him learning 1B over the next 100 games.

I would like him to not be playing LF next year --- he has an ongoing aversion to walls ...

True, it would be pretty ugly seeing Sori at 2B, I just think 3B would be so brutal to watch. I can't even think about it without starting to gag. But let's be honest, he won't be playing either of those positions as a Cub, and it's probably for the best.

HotRuta
06-01-2010, 12:46 AM
True, it would be pretty ugly seeing Sori at 2B, I just think 3B would be so brutal to watch. I can't even think about it without starting to gag. But let's be honest, he won't be playing either of those positions as a Cub, and it's probably for the best.

Watching the Cubs these past two years, we've all had to learn to deal with gagging ...

StrandedCub
06-01-2010, 12:53 AM

This. If they ever turn on the switch, then we will be fine.

Jaisdaddy
06-01-2010, 08:35 AM
one of two things needs to happen... 1. Lou finally says enough is enough with Rammy's thumb injury and they put him on the 15 day DL and let him heal up %100 or 2. Rammy says you know I'm doing more damage than good right now... I'm not hitting, my defense hasn't been horrible but it hasn't been to the caliber that I usually play at... I'm going to take myself out of the equation for a little bit and heal up and fix my hitch in my swing... All though it is AAA ball the scouts are saying that Chad Tracy is ripping the cover off of the ball... bring him up to spell Rammy and if he continues to do well while he's up send down someone else like Baker...

cowboydoc45
06-01-2010, 08:44 AM
one of two things needs to happen... 1. Lou finally says enough is enough with Rammy's thumb injury and they put him on the 15 day DL and let him heal up %100 or 2. Rammy says you know I'm doing more damage than good right now... I'm not hitting, my defense hasn't been horrible but it hasn't been to the caliber that I usually play at... I'm going to take myself out of the equation for a little bit and heal up and fix my hitch in my swing... All though it is AAA ball the scouts are saying that Chad Tracy is ripping the cover off of the ball... bring him up to spell Rammy and if he continues to do well while he's up send down someone else like Baker...

Normally, I would call this a bad idea, however, this might just be what needs to happen. Honestly, it is June now, and Ramierez is nowhere near where he should be. He is hurting the team more than helping. I don't want to think of Tracy as a long term answer, but short term he might be what the team needs.

Another thing that needs to happen is when Lou says he is going to make a lineup change, he needs to make more than one move. Getting Fontenot in yesterday was a good start, but honestly, Colvin should have probably been in there as well. The OF is in a strange situation where they are all playing well enough to warrant playing time.

Jaisdaddy
06-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Normally, I would call this a bad idea, however, this might just be what needs to happen. Honestly, it is June now, and Ramierez is nowhere near where he should be. He is hurting the team more than helping. I don't want to think of Tracy as a long term answer, but short term he might be what the team needs.

Another thing that needs to happen is when Lou says he is going to make a lineup change, he needs to make more than one move. Getting Fontenot in yesterday was a good start, but honestly, Colvin should have probably been in there as well. The OF is in a strange situation where they are all playing well enough to warrant playing time.

i would say it might be time to give Marlon a breather for a game too... can't say anything bad about this guys effort and what he brings to the team but he has been slumping a bit lately... maybe it's time for a day off and get Colvin out there in CF a bit...

BUD Bleachers
06-01-2010, 10:42 AM
It's ridiculous that it's the last day of May, and Lee and Ramy are still hitting 3rd and 4th. They've been our 2 worst starting players all season long. Who cares if they are big names... they ain't producing. Move them down in the order!

The pen might be in good shape if Cashner does well. Let's hope Big Z gets it going in the rotation as well.

The offense consistently gets 8 or 9 hits, but only 1 or 2 runs. I think Colvin deserves more playing time. But bottom line: this team will live or die on Lee and Ramirez. That's enough to scare ya for this season.

Colloquially stated, but valid.

Why is it that this always happens to the Cubs and not other teams? Can you imagine if Jeter and A-Rod didn't produce for this long of a time? Or Pujols and Holiday?

Somehow, I cannot see any of the aforementioned four players only hitting .162/.233 for a two month stretch. I don't even care about OBP and SLG with these guys at this point; all their numbers are poor. All bets are off when poor batting averages are this low. I mean, these guys are down there with the pitching staff.

Basically, the two best hitters on the Cubs really haven't shown up thus far in 2010.

If Ramirez is injured, then put him on the DL and get someone in there that can put the ball in play.

With all of that crap stated, the biggest need is to change the uniforms.

The Cubs need a new look.

cowboydoc45
06-01-2010, 10:48 AM

Why is it that this always happens to the Cubs and not other teams? Can you imagine if Jeter and A-Rod didn't produce for this long of a time? Or Pujols and Holiday?

Somehow, I cannot see any of the aforementioned four players only hitting .162/.233 for a two month stretch. I don't even care about OBP and SLG with these guys at this point; all their numbers are poor. All bets are off when poor batting averages are this low. I mean, these guys are down there with the pitching staff.

Basically, the two best hitters on the Cubs really haven't shown up thus far in 2010.

If Ramirez is injured, then put him on the DL and get someone in there that can put the ball in play.

New uniform = easy world series :laugh2:

BDawk4Prez
06-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Biggest need - Need to win

How to do it - Score more runs then the other team on any given day.

Simple really.

hoggin88
06-01-2010, 11:32 AM

Well if they were hitting .227/.356/.537 like Carlos Pena did last year I think I could handle the low batting average a little more. :D Unfortunately they just flat out suck.

Biggest need - Need to win

How to do it - Score more runs then the other team on any given day.

Simple really.

Do the Cubs know about this strategy?

Jilly Bohnson
06-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Dan Uggla makes a lot of sense.

As does DL'ing Rammy.

BDawk4Prez
06-01-2010, 12:54 PM
My vote goes to Uggla.

Mell413
06-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Our biggest need is production from our corner infield spots. I would DL Aramis. Then bring up Tracy. Statistically it looks like Lee is coming around. His LD% is at 23. So it looks like a breakout from him is possible. If Aramis does not come around and we are still in contention I would look at Uggla and/or Wigginton or Lowell

NORTH10
06-01-2010, 02:32 PM
The next few weeks will determine how this season will end up....contending or selling.

So, if Aramis and Lee continue to struggle in these upcoming weeks, the entire season will be lost.

gocubs2118
06-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Our biggest need is production from our corner infield spots. I would DL Aramis. Then bring up Tracy. Statistically it looks like Lee is coming around. His LD% is at 23. So it looks like a breakout from him is possible. If Aramis does not come around and we are still in contention I would look at Uggla and/or Wigginton or Lowell

Wigginton would be interesting. Definitely wouldn't cost as much as Uggla and is putting just about the same numbers as him.

Jilly Bohnson
06-01-2010, 03:33 PM

Uggla's nice because you put him at 2b and fix the hole there, and then if a DL trip doesn't help Ramirez you put Uggla at 3b and play Fontheriot at 2b.

Mell413
06-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Uggla's nice because you put him at 2b and fix the hole there, and then if a DL trip doesn't help Ramirez you put Uggla at 3b and play Fontheriot at 2b.

Uggla has never played 3B before so I don't know if I feel too comfortable putting him there.

poodski
06-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Wigginton would be interesting. Definitely wouldn't cost as much as Uggla and is putting just about the same numbers as him.

And hasnt Wigginton just about played every position on the field?

Kirel
06-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Uggla has never played 3B before so I don't know if I feel too comfortable putting him there.
Then you put Fontenot or Theriot at 3B. It's relatively irrelevent who plays where.

Kirel
06-01-2010, 03:43 PM
And hasnt Wigginton just about played every position on the field?
He's also 32 and has almsot no long term value.

Wigginton is a pickup you make when you are a winning team. He's a bad buy for the Cubs.

Ugglas not much better, but he's atleast got a year or two of value left.

poodski
06-01-2010, 03:45 PM
He's also 32 and has almsot no long term value.

Wigginton is a pickup you make when you are a winning team. He's a bad buy for the Cubs.

Ugglas not much better, but he's atleast got a year or two of value left.

I didnt realize he was that old. I didnt really look anything up just was going off of memory.

Brad IBCB
06-01-2010, 03:47 PM
The next few weeks will determine how this season will end up....contending or selling.

Everyone keeps saying that. But I don't remember Jim Hendry ever "selling".

Rndy
06-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Uggla would look nice offensively at 2b. I'm just not to sure I want to trade any of our top prospects. Even with Uggla I don't see us winning it all this year. In a few years who knows where players like Castro, Jackson, Jackson, Hak Lee,and the list just goes on. I'd much rather build around the young guys and hopefully maintaining a 100+ million dollar payroll to add to them. It very well could be huge.

Although I still see us as a 500. team. 08 is over and I believe we missed our chance.

socherball
06-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Our biggest hole is in the players' swings when there are runners on base.

What do we do to fix it? NOTHING. If you want to tinker with some things (i.e. calling up Tracy) fine. But I don't want Hendry trading away ANY prospects in the name of trying to win now. This team is not good enough. Dare I say it, even if Lee and Ramirez were healthy/producing. The time has come to take our medicine, don't compound the problem by mortgaging the future.

ChicagoWind1
06-02-2010, 12:19 AM
We need to stop acting like we're rebuilding and stop bringing all these triple A players up to test em and see if they have talent.We need to get Z goin,we need to get rid of Jim Hendry(Didn't John McDonough name him GM),many questions need to be answered. We need to make some changes(I think manager ain't one of em).

ReJo
06-02-2010, 10:15 AM
The biggest need is for this team to have fun.

How to address it? Hire Billy Heywood as the manager and have him give his famous speech(with a few tweaks. Replace the Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park part with Wrigley Field)

“Maybe the problem is you guys forgot how much fun this is. You’re Major Leaguers. I mean you’re on baseball cards. What could be better? Don’t you understand? You guys get to play baseball every day. You get to go to Yankee Stadium and play in the same outfield as Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle. You get to go to Fenway Park, step into the same batter’s box as Ted Williams. Look, from now on, stop worrying about winning and losing. Just go out and play and have fun. You make an error forget it. You strike out? Who cares, just as long as you hustle.”

cowboydoc45
06-02-2010, 10:48 AM
The biggest need is for this team to have fun.

How to address it? Hire Billy Heywood as the manager and have him give his famous speech(with a few tweaks. Replace the Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park part with Wrigley Field)

“Maybe the problem is you guys forgot how much fun this is. You’re Major Leaguers. I mean you’re on baseball cards. What could be better? Don’t you understand? You guys get to play baseball every day. You get to go to Yankee Stadium and play in the same outfield as Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle. You get to go to Fenway Park, step into the same batter’s box as Ted Williams. Look, from now on, stop worrying about winning and losing. Just go out and play and have fun. You make an error forget it. You strike out? Who cares, just as long as you hustle.”

we would have a team of Theriots... that would win the world series for sure :laugh:

Jilly Bohnson
06-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Uggla would look nice offensively at 2b. I'm just not to sure I want to trade any of our top prospects. Even with Uggla I don't see us winning it all this year. In a few years who knows where players like Castro, Jackson, Jackson, Hak Lee,and the list just goes on. I'd much rather build around the young guys and hopefully maintaining a 100+ million dollar payroll to add to them. It very well could be huge.

Although I still see us as a 500. team. 08 is over and I believe we missed our chance.

We'd have Uggla next year too. So then this winter you have the option of holding on to him if you want to go for it in 2011 or dealing him if you don't.

poodski
06-02-2010, 01:58 PM
we would have a team of Theriots... that would win the world series for sure :laugh:

All the stats in the world will never make me get over a baseball player not hustling.

Nothing irritates me more than seeing a Cub lollygag it to first base after hitting a grounder. Nothing.

BDawk4Prez
06-02-2010, 02:05 PM
All the stats in the world will never make me get over a baseball player not hustling.

Nothing irritates me more than seeing a Cub lollygag it to first base after hitting a grounder. Nothing.

I.Agree

Even in men's rec league softball it kills me to no end.

Seyton
06-05-2010, 12:28 PM
The problem with this year's team is that we get zero production out of too many positions:

Catcher - Soto appears to have been a one year wonder and Hill can not hit at all, though the team does appear to do better when he catches and he supposedly calls great games. Still, offensively this position is a black hole.

First Base - This is the third consecutive year Lee has started off slowly. Last year he was able to salvage things in a spectacular fashion but as I've mentioned previously the damage was done. The Cubs couldn't rebound how they had to and the result was not even coming close to the playoffs. No team can afford to have its no. 3 hitter continue to have piss poor first halves if they expect to contend. The season is gone for the Cubs and it has a lot to do with Lee. So, if he winds up getting his numbers so what? They didn't come when we needed them.

Second Base - If Theriot is not going to take walks and change his style such that his average is .260 - .270 then it is pointless to have him out there. He provides zero offensively if he is not simply shooting line drives to right field, which he can do to the tune of .300 - .315 if he puts his mind to it.

Third Base - .150 - 4 - 20 never, ever works from your clean up hitter. Combine Ramirez with Lee and there's no way this team is going anywhere with such horrible play from their three and four hitters.

Carlos Zambrano - just because he is making 18 million doesn't mean he should be pitching - anywhere. The fact is he hurts you more often than not. Money is not an excuse to knowingly lose, which has become the case when Zambrano takes the mound.

If it's not Soriano, it's center field not being solidified. If it's not that, it's Fukudome with his can't-possibly-work, idiotic spin-o-rama going bust. If it's not that then it's DLee floundering or Ramirez all of the sudden going from one of the better run producers to Andruw Jones. If you're counting on Theriot to hit .300 then of course he hits .260. Zambrano's not an ace. Dempster sometimes looks like an ace but he's really more of a no. 2 1/2 such that when he struggles it's a little more frustrating, but really he's doing his job very well.

This team has a lot of holes and it's because the players are failing the organization. They were good players and now they're not. I'm not sure what you can do when that happens, but I would call a spade a spade and try to upgrade at catcher and second base. I would not resign Lee and I would shut down Ramirez for the rest of the year in hopes that he can come back next year as his normal self.

I would try to trade Zambrano but I think most people see through him at this point, but I would still try very hard. I would try to re-sign Lilly and I would not trust Randy Wells or Tom Gorzelanny.

I would also try to trade Fukudome and replace him with Colvin. At worst, Colvin appears to be able to at least replicate .257 - 10 - 55 which is where Fukudome will inevitably wind up. (I know those aren't the stats you all look at but you get the point)

I don't know that you can trade the people I've mentioned, but it's time to give up on Soto and Theriot and replace them with viable offense. Trade Lee if you can, otherwise ride out this nowhere season with him and let him go. Shut down Ramirez.

This team has just seemed incomplete since they inexplicably blew up a 97 game winner. There are nice pieces in place though, there's just too big of a drop off from those pieces.

I think the biggest thing that can help this team is to view its personnel realitstically which, traditionally, has not been their strong suit.

Ron!n
06-05-2010, 12:37 PM
It could be worse....Aaron Miles could still be a Cub.

Getting rid of Miles alone makes Hendry a genius.

Mell413
06-05-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm not sure if getting rid of a catcher who puts up an OBP in the 400s is a good idea. This season is on Ramirez and Lee. Blame anywhere else is misguided IMHO.

pakman23
06-05-2010, 01:23 PM
We need to start parting ways with a few of these guys, try to get some prospects and move on. this team will not "win it all" so start building one that will. Imho

pakman23
06-05-2010, 01:24 PM
It could be worse....Aaron Miles could still be a Cub.

Getting rid of Miles alone makes Hendry a genius.

Getting Miles in the first place makes him look stupid.

Seyton
06-05-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm not sure if getting rid of a catcher who puts up an OBP in the 400s is a good idea. This season is on Ramirez and Lee. Blame anywhere else is misguided IMHO.

I agree with you - the majority of this season is on Lee and Ramirez, but, Soto's average has been falling steadily since he hit about .340. I know that .340 is nowhere close to what he would be able to sustain, but I was hoping for him to stabilize around .275 - .280. He's not hitting at all anymore, similar to last season and I don't think walks are enough to make up for that.

But you're right - Lee and Ramirez have brought this club to its knees.

KOENIG
06-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Ricketts needs to fire Hendry and Piniella and trade the underachieving, overpayed "talent" and rebuild this team from the bottom (player development) up.

toovey107
06-05-2010, 05:39 PM
I agree with you - the majority of this season is on Lee and Ramirez, but, Soto's average has been falling steadily since he hit about .340. I know that .340 is nowhere close to what he would be able to sustain, but I was hoping for him to stabilize around .275 - .280. He's not hitting at all anymore, similar to last season and I don't think walks are enough to make up for that.

But you're right - Lee and Ramirez have brought this club to its knees.
Yes he has been slumping, but you used average to make a point and for that reason alone ... you lose.

Flamarlins21
06-05-2010, 08:43 PM
I saw someone mention Uggla. What would you be willing to give up for him?

StrandedCub
06-05-2010, 09:58 PM
I saw someone mention Uggla. What would you be willing to give up for him?

Croce maybe? :shrug:

Seyton
06-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Yes he has been slumping, but you used average to make a point and for that reason alone ... you lose.

No I win because I said he's stopped hitting all together. Neither walks nor stats fill fix that. And while batting average isn't quite as relevant as it used to be it's still useful information - you know, how many times does a dude gets a hit. Kind of useful to know sometimes....

chitown 4 life
06-07-2010, 03:47 AM
Im so sick of hearing maybe next year fire henry and give me the job ill make this team a winner oh and rothchild has to go should have been gone!!!!!!!!

Guny Highway
06-07-2010, 10:59 AM
We need to bench our high priced, under acheiving talent. Let the young guns play. Colvin should be an everyday starter.

Captain Obvious
06-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Im so sick of hearing maybe next year fire henry and give me the job ill make this team a winner oh and rothchild has to go should have been gone!!!!!!!!

Henry > You. I don't even know who Henry is either.

cowboydoc45
06-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Right now, Silva has been one of our (if not our best) pitcher. As hard as it was for me to type that, it is true. He attributes his success to having his mother with him (and Jimenez has mentioned that he enjoys having his mother around to cook for him...) the answer is simple, HIRE ALL OF THE CUBS MOMS!!!

Crazy idea, but have all of the "Team Moms" get on a plane and come to Wrigley (with enough luggage to last the rest of the season) and move in with their respective player... if the player likes it, tell him that if he plays well, momma stays, and if the player doesn't, tell them that if he plays well, momma gone...

:fistpump: it will work