PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on ESPN and the NBA

Kakaroach
05-31-2010, 04:41 PM
So I've read a lot over the past year on the NBA forum about how people think ESPN and the NBA mix/don't mix so I figured we could have a thread where people could express their opinion on how ESPN covers the NBA.

Does it cover it well or bad or just eh? Do you like all of the analysts, some of them, or none of them? Same question with the commentators.

king4day
05-31-2010, 04:43 PM
I never heard this before.
I have no problem with the two since ESPN's commericals aren't as long as TNT's

DeyAce
05-31-2010, 04:50 PM
ESPN is Lebron's network

B.JenningsMVP
05-31-2010, 04:51 PM
Tnt > espn/abc

ManRam
05-31-2010, 04:55 PM
TNT is better.

But the biggest criticism people have about ESPN, is that they cater to the biggest stars. But what do people expect from them? They are a national sports channel. In order to appeal to the largest crowd, they must focus on the biggest names. People seem to expect them to focus on Brook Lopez and Monta Ellis as much as they focus on LeBron and Kobe...and frankly, that's down right hilarious. It's a business. They've been successful because they report on what the majority of people want to here: whether that's LeBron, Favre, steroids, Tiger etc. If you want news that talks about what you want to hear, check out your local news station, or go online.

ESPN is great at what it does. However, I do just like TNT better. Better personalities. But there is a reason ESPN is ESPN, and TNT isn't.

bahama0811
05-31-2010, 04:56 PM
Doris Burke is horrible!

superkegger
05-31-2010, 04:56 PM
Espn's pregame coverage is crap. NBA Fastbreak is a complete joke. Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy suck.

Sadds The Gr8
05-31-2010, 04:57 PM
Doris Burke is horrible!

100% agreed.

ESPN's NBA coverage sucks...TNT is way better.

Sixerlover
05-31-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm fine with ESPN. It isn't your local sports network nor are they a NBA only channel, so of course they'll cater more to the stars than the regular players. Their coverage is cool with me.

ManRam
05-31-2010, 04:58 PM
Espn's pregame coverage is crap. NBA Fastbreak is a complete joke. Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy suck.

Van Gundy is pretty much the only thing I like about ESPN. He knows a ton about the game, and he isn't boring either. He's very vocal and never shy about saying what's on his mind. I think he's very entertaining.

But since I prefer entertaining, that's probably why I like TNT better. EJ/Kenny and Chuck are great. They kill it.

llemon
05-31-2010, 05:01 PM
Shills for the NBA, I watch their telecasts with the 'mute' on as much as possible.

They will talk through one or two plays about some rant they are on, not describing what is going on at all.

Bring back the days of Jack Twyman.

Damn, I'm old.

td0tsfinest
05-31-2010, 05:03 PM
I could care less what they say during the games but their analysts are a joke at times though. Guys like Jalen Rose and Jon Barry make me laugh with the stuff they say.

KB24PG16
05-31-2010, 05:04 PM
i dont like mike breen espn would be better off with just svg and mark doing the commentating. all he says is BANG and oh, pretty play!

superkegger
05-31-2010, 05:05 PM
Van Gundy is pretty much the only thing I like about ESPN. He knows a ton about the game, and he isn't boring either. He's very vocal and never shy about saying what's on his mind. I think he's very entertaining.

But since I prefer entertaining, that's probably why I like TNT better. EJ/Kenny and Chuck are great. They kill it.

I can stacnd JVG. I respect his knowledge of the game, and about 1/3 of the time, he does a good job. But the 2/3 he's talking about lord knows what, that has little or nothing to do with basketball or the game at hand. I just can't stand him. He's not as bad as the mark jackson though. Mark Jackson is a ****ing ******.

KaganRS
ABC is a joke , they have one game a week during the regular season ? Realllllllly !?! i remember when nbc had triple headers , or double headers on Saturday and Sunday !

If it's not Marv Albert calling the game you aren't getting the best play by play , even Dick Stockton would be better.

And ESPN/ ABC (owned by Disney) is full of shameless promoting.

Also , their pregame intros are a joke - along with their finals theme songs.

I could go on forever! Those of you that watched the NBA on NBC know what i'm talking about !

KB24PG16
o yea and he says *player name* puts it in!

PHX2daDEATH
05-31-2010, 05:07 PM
I don't have a problem with ESPN.. they do have the best color commentator ever in Hubie Brown (For basketball that is)..

PHX2daDEATH
05-31-2010, 05:08 PM
Oh yeah Breen sucks.. Who's calling the finals Breen and Hubie?

PHX2daDEATH
05-31-2010, 05:09 PM
I can stacnd JVG. I respect his knowledge of the game, and about 1/3 of the time, he does a good job. But the 2/3 he's talking about lord knows what, that has little or nothing to do with basketball or the game at hand. I just can't stand him. He's not as bad as the mark jackson though. Mark Jackson is a ****ing ******.

Hope mark gets a coaching job so he can quit filling my ears with crap while im trying to watch a basketball game

KaganRS
05-31-2010, 05:10 PM
I don't have a problem with ESPN.. they do have the best color commentator ever in Hubie Brown (For basketball that is)..

hahah i agree with that , he's very knowledgeable.

Also , there should be an official Hubie Brown "high percentage" comment counter in the bottom of the screen.

heyman321
05-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Jeff Van Gundy is hilarious. He should be on TNT, I would love that. Mike Breen should serously STFU. All he does it say... BANG! when someone gets a shot in. That's stupid. Also STFU Mark Jackson. "Mama, there goes that man, again". STFU.

heyman321
05-31-2010, 05:15 PM
Also , their pregame intros are a joke - along with their finals theme songs.

I could go on forever! Those of you that watched the NBA on NBC know what i'm talking about !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AQ3IAriL0k&feature=related

^^ Ahhh the good old days. This NBA on NBC song will be dear to my heart forever

JNA17
05-31-2010, 05:19 PM
TNT is the ****

maddBat
05-31-2010, 05:19 PM
i think TNT is better. alot more funnier atleast. esp when they photoshop pix of barkley. LOL

PHX2daDEATH
05-31-2010, 05:27 PM
ah how I miss the days the of Steve "Snapper" Jones

KaganRS
05-31-2010, 05:39 PM
ah how I miss the days the of Steve "Snapper" Jones

Whatever happened to him ?

NBAfan4life
05-31-2010, 05:48 PM
The one good thing as a basketball fan we should be thankful is at least espn does show us highlights. I don't like hockey at all, but some of my other relatives do and they are always complaining they only get to see basketball highliights with very little hockey.

Rivera
05-31-2010, 06:00 PM
TNT has farrrrr moreee better coverage and personalities

ESPN just has breen JVG and mark jackson the most entertaining broadcast team in the NBA

carter15
05-31-2010, 06:01 PM
I personally really like the ESPN trio of commentators in Breen, Jackson and Van Gundy. They are my favorite commentating crew that's out there now actually.

yanks 4lif3
05-31-2010, 06:08 PM
I always felt as if the NBA on NBC and TNT defined basketball at its height in the 1990's and early 2000's.

ESPN's NBA coverage has been a joke and is an embarrassment. It seems like they could never get a host of the pregame show who couldn't wet their panties over LeBron James or Shaq.

That said, Hubie Brown is a great color commentator and the trio of Van Gundy, Jackson and Mike Breen is solid. However, I greatly miss the days of when Marv Albert called the NBA Finals games with Doug Collins or Bill Walton. Hell, the Bob Costas-Isiah Thomas-Collins trio was great also.

wileyisTOFU
05-31-2010, 06:36 PM

Id rather have jackson , van gundy booth with the TNT halftime show and Craig Sager

superkegger
05-31-2010, 06:41 PM
Hope mark gets a coaching job so he can quit filling my ears with crap while im trying to watch a basketball game

I doubt he gets a coaching gig anytime soon.

He essentially has no resume other than having played. I don't believe he has any prior coaching experience. He's not going to get a head coaching job unless its with the Clippers, they'd be dumb enough to give someone with no coaching experience the lead job.

MSG34
05-31-2010, 06:47 PM
Get Mark Jackson out of there. I can't stand listening to him.

Lakers4ItAll
05-31-2010, 08:12 PM
ESPN is on Lebrons nutts too much.

TNT > ESPN

smith&wesson
05-31-2010, 08:27 PM
i like tnt better but I really hate kenny the jet smith. He is arogant and always talking in a condesending fashion, specially towards sir charles. news flassh kenny your a clown.

Raoul Duke
05-31-2010, 08:49 PM
The color guys are a crapshoot on either network. One game you'll have great color commentary, the next it's complete crap. I like JVG, Marv, Pubie, Collins, and Walton.

TNT has much better pregame and halftime stuff because they have Barkley. When Barkley isn't there and they try to ham it up with C-Webb as the stunt-Barkley, it's kinda lame.

97NYer
05-31-2010, 09:03 PM
I prefer TNT to ESPN.

RipVW
05-31-2010, 09:21 PM
TNT actually gets talent to do their games. ESPN just sticks with their own internal people, like Tirico (in football and basketball) and Chris Berman (baseball). TNT gets real announcers like Stockton, Albert, and Harlan...all of which are better than anything ESPN has...BY FAR.

And then where analysts are concerned, Hubie Brown is the best thing ESPN has and theyre not smart enough to put him as their main analyst. Instead were stuck with two passive aggressive, agenda driven ex-Knicks.

And espn is really a regional network pretending to be a national network.

fadedmario
06-01-2010, 12:17 AM
ESPN is on Lebron's nuts.