PDA

View Full Version : Cashner called up, Grabow to DL

gocubs2118
05-31-2010, 10:49 AM
Grabow to DL (knee). Cashner recalled. Top 2008 draft pick goes to bullpen.

CST Twitter

Jilly Bohnson
05-31-2010, 11:55 AM
Transactions get their own thread, you made the right move.

I like this obviously because it helps the pen, but damn I really would have liked to moved a starter.

ty_smitty21
05-31-2010, 12:04 PM
I called this one. Even the Cubs wouldn't be dumb enough to send down Russell and keep Grabow considering their numbers. This is definitely a fake DL stint.. but too bad Grabow... You've been beyond terrible this season.

homestarunner93
05-31-2010, 12:26 PM
"Knee Tendonitis"...more like hurt feelings.

1908_Cubs
05-31-2010, 12:46 PM
I like the move, honestly. It's worked with many of the game's top pitchers; think Zambrano and Wainwright.

Jilly Bohnson
05-31-2010, 12:48 PM
I like the move, honestly. It's worked with many of the game's top pitchers; think Zambrano and Wainwright.

Billingsley, Hughes, Joba(debatable I guess), and Schilling too. They'll have to be conscious to get him as many innings as possible, but assuming they use him like they used to use Marmol this is a great move.

Vandelay16
05-31-2010, 12:50 PM
Sweet!

1908_Cubs
05-31-2010, 12:51 PM
Billingsley, Hughes, Joba(debatable I guess), and Schilling too. They'll have to be conscious to get him as many innings as possible, but assuming they use him like they used to use Marmol this is a great move.

Agreed. It's obvious in his case he's ready for something more than AAA. And it's not like we have a rotation spot open right now (considering we're already struggling what to do with our starters). I like to see him up here. And I think he'll quickly establish himself as our top righty in the pen leading to Marmol. Not that it'd be hard to beat out Howry and Stevens, imo.

CUBDOM4life
05-31-2010, 12:51 PM
Hoppfully he stays hurt forever.

CUBDOM4life
05-31-2010, 12:52 PM
So what's the plan with Howry?

Jilly Bohnson
05-31-2010, 12:56 PM
Agreed. It's obvious in his case he's ready for something more than AAA. And it's not like we have a rotation spot open right now (considering we're already struggling what to do with our starters). I like to see him up here. And I think he'll quickly establish himself as our top righty in the pen leading to Marmol. Not that it'd be hard to beat out Howry and Stevens, imo.

I actually like Stevens, but yeah, your point stands. As a two inning guy he can be an impact immediately while still building up innings to hopefully start next year. And it's not like he was doing anything in AAA that he can't do here. He was putting up nearly Strasburg-ian numbers down there, might as well call him up and see if he can keep it up here.

1908_Cubs
05-31-2010, 12:59 PM
I actually like Stevens, but yeah, your point stands. As a two inning guy he can be an impact immediately while still building up innings to hopefully start next year. And it's not like he was doing anything in AAA that he can't do here. He was putting up nearly Strasburg-ian numbers down there, might as well call him up and see if he can keep it up here.

Agreed on all accounts. I do like Stevens, but lets not pretend he's got fastball-slider like Cash has. And agreed on the Strasburgian numbers. I've been telling people about Cashner all season with the sick numbers he was putting up. And I was using Stras as my point of comparison for numbers.

EJS2590
05-31-2010, 01:04 PM
is cashner in the rotation to start the season next year?

MJ-BULLS
05-31-2010, 01:05 PM

Also Johan Santana.

he got his feet wet before being a top notch starter and one of the best in the league.

Jilly Bohnson
05-31-2010, 01:05 PM
Agreed on all accounts. I do like Stevens, but lets not pretend he's got fastball-slider like Cash has. And agreed on the Strasburgian numbers. I've been telling people about Cashner all season with the sick numbers he was putting up. And I was using Stras as my point of comparison for numbers.

Yeah, I'm really excited. And suddenly, our bullpen's looking pretty good. Marmol and Marshall have been monster's so far, and Cashner has potential to be just as good. Plus Gorzelanny, Russell, and Stevens. If Stevens keeps up what he's done so far and Cashner's as good as we're hoping we suddenly have a lock-down bullpen.

Jilly Bohnson
05-31-2010, 01:07 PM
is cashner in the rotation to start the season next year?

Hopefully. Lilly's gone after this year, and I'd imagine there's a decent chance Silva or Gorzelanny is too. That leaves a spot open for one of Cashner/Jackson/Samardzija/Coleman, and I think Cashner would have to be considered the favorite for that spot.

Also Johan Santana.

he got his feet wet before being a top notch starter and one of the best in the league.

Oh yeah, that's another really good one.

MJ-BULLS
05-31-2010, 01:10 PM
I dont want shark anywhere close to the rotation until he learns how to throw strikes consistently.

and yeah, cahsner should be the fav to for the spot though.

Mell413
05-31-2010, 01:16 PM
I like this move. Our bullpen has been pitching well lately with the exception of Grabow. Cashner/Marshall,Marmol is pretty good. Stevens, Russell, and Howry(if he stays) is not awful either. I also like that they put Grabow on the DL. It's good to see the best players getting to keep their spots.

THE_G.O.A.T.
05-31-2010, 01:44 PM
I hope we never ever ever see John Grabow again..!

CubsFan619
05-31-2010, 02:33 PM
Good. GTFO Grablow.

NORTH10
05-31-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm a little bit worried. Don't get me wrong, I love what Cashner can bring to the pen. Yet, he hasn't racked enough innings as a starter in the minors. Wainwright did when he went to the pen his rookie year, Zambrano did, Johan did. If we are grooming him to become a starter, it is a little worrisome to think that this could hinder his development.

zambo4president
05-31-2010, 03:00 PM
Thinking about it now, our bullpen could be really sick pretty soon. I think Stevens as the set-up and Cashner to close would be light's out in a couple years.

redwhitenblue
05-31-2010, 03:02 PM
Thinking about it now, our bullpen could be really sick pretty soon. I think Stevens as the set-up and Cashner to close would be light's out in a couple years.
Cashner will be starting in a couple years.

zambo4president
05-31-2010, 03:03 PM
Grabow to the DLs an addition by subtraction so hopefully Cashner can be effective now and make this a 2 point swing.

mg420
05-31-2010, 03:03 PM
time to DL aram & bring up tracy too.

zambo4president
05-31-2010, 03:04 PM
Cashner will be starting in a couple years.

I'm holding out hope.

Cubby
05-31-2010, 03:04 PM
So what's the plan with Howry?

Mascot probably.

Cubs420
05-31-2010, 04:41 PM
I dont want shark anywhere close to the rotation until he learns how to throw strikes consistently.

and yeah, cahsner should be the fav to for the spot though.

True that, Hell I don't want him in the Bullpen either... Guy has been a epic bust up to this point.

giventofly
05-31-2010, 05:09 PM
Bullpen would be amazing if Guzman was still around. Of course, who knows if we'd have seen Cashner so early?

Ron!n
05-31-2010, 06:08 PM
Im actually a bit worried by this move. Cashner sounds ecstatic to be back in the pen and based on what Len and Bob have said the Cubs could keep him in the pen if he does good.

We could be wasting our best prospect chance at an ace in the pen, and frankly thats worrisome.

MJFan1
05-31-2010, 06:11 PM
I can't wait to see Cashner pitch, solid move.

BDawk4Prez
06-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Grabow gets Grablowed.

Who gets the task of pleasing sweet Lou now?

poodski
06-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Russell is probably so happy not having to be the ***** of the bullpen anymore.

hrubes20
06-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Im actually a bit worried by this move. Cashner sounds ecstatic to be back in the pen and based on what Len and Bob have said the Cubs could keep him in the pen if he does good.

We could be wasting our best prospect chance at an ace in the pen, and frankly thats worrisome.

It was the only way he could reach the majors this year. He knew this. By getting called up, he essentially just made himself around $250,000 more than he would have if he stayed in AAA. I'd be ecstatic too.

poodski
06-01-2010, 11:01 AM
It was the only way he could reach the majors this year. He knew this. By getting called up, he essentially just made himself around $250,000 more than he would have if he stayed in AAA. I'd be ecstatic too.

I would be ecstatic to carry a pink back pack around and catch for celebrities for 250K a year as well.

MJ-BULLS
06-01-2010, 12:06 PM
i just hope if he does do well in the pen, they do put him into the rotation.

Str1fe5
06-01-2010, 12:06 PM

I don't think Cashner's excitement over being called up has much bearing on the issue. I mean, the Zambrano fiasco gives me pause, but I just can't underestimate Hendry & co's competence so much that they really are content with keeping Cashner as a set up reliever, not after all of their stubbornness all of last year and his success this year in the rotation. And this is unlike Joba in the sense that Marmol is clealry a fantastic closer, but unlike Rivera, Marmol is years away from considering retirement. Cashner wouldn't even be a closer-in-waiting - he'd be a set up guy until the Cubs moved him or Marmol. This has always had the feel as an emergency decision in light of how we have struggled to find a good bridge to Marmol.

Although its all moot now, this offense isn't even close to as good as I thought it would be. Lee and Ramirez have cratered. Although Lee's LD% of 23% leads you to think he's due to break out soon.

windycityD
06-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Grabow = Miles. I would bet we don't see Grabow again until mid July, if then.

Despite the fact that this was the absolute best and right move for the pen, evidently, Hendry will always have the DL to fall back on when way overpriced & over-valued players he signs that are doing nothing are "hurt."

poodski
06-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Grabow = Miles. I would bet we don't see Grabow again until mid July, if then.

Despite the fact that this was the absolute best and right move for the pen, evidently, Hendry will always have the DL to fall back on when way overpriced & over-valued players he signs that are doing nothing are "hurt."

No Grabow has had success in the past. I think its pretty obvious he is hurt.

As much as people hate him Grabow is very very good vs LHH, he isnt the set up man he was signed to be, but he is good at what he is good at.

Miles on the other hand, had a really good 2008 and got paid for it. Miles though isnt as bad as he was in 2009.

windycityD
06-03-2010, 01:35 PM
No Grabow has had success in the past. I think its pretty obvious he is hurt.

As much as people hate him Grabow is very very good vs LHH, he isnt the set up man he was signed to be, but he is good at what he is good at.

Miles on the other hand, had a really good 2008 and got paid for it. Miles though isnt as bad as he was in 2009.

2008 Fukudome
2009 Miles
2010 Grabow

The common theme here is that Hendry over-paid for only taking care of one side of the plate. Obviously, Fukudome brings good OBP and defensive prowess to the dish. Still, that contract for what we're getting overall is pretty eh.

I'm not 100% sold on Grabow being injured. If that were the case, why was he not put on the DL a month ago when it was clear there was an issue? Russell was/ is doing fine and we have left handed depth if needed via Gorzo. Really odd to me.