PDA

View Full Version : Free agents meeting up illegal...???

rapsallday
05-29-2010, 08:38 PM
I am not equipped with the knowledge on the exact definition of game/championship fixing and th legality of it ...but isn't super stars gathering together to plot a location to start a powerhouse seem a bit ...i don't know illegal to a certain extent....or sum sort of fixation what you guys think??

Imagine M.J,Bird and Magic...meeting up come free agency:confused::confused:

SteveNash
05-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Yes, it's goes directly against the US constitution.

mia305king
05-29-2010, 08:40 PM
No, they're friends, Is it Illegal for friends to talk ?

BALLER71
05-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Yeah, lets say they met up at a party in South Beach... How in the hell can you tell the Commish that meeting up is illegal?

jimm120
05-29-2010, 09:18 PM
But he specifically said to talk about free agency.

Though I don't think its collusion. What he said sounded like he just wanted everyone to lay out the teams that they're thinking about...not even ranking them (though with Bosh its 100% not Toronto and with Wade, its a big possibility to go back to the Heat).

pistonsfanomg
05-29-2010, 09:38 PM
This is going to be very interesting

Remember all of the players have a players option...

It would be smart is if they all accept their players options including Stoudemire and Dirk and the rest of them and just wait out a year just stay with their current teams.

Then in 2011 go after Free Agency because then Carmelo will be a Free Agent (Possibility)

I think that would be the best idea for all the free agents.

jimm120
05-29-2010, 10:14 PM
This is going to be very interesting

Remember all of the players have a players option...

It would be smart is if they all accept their players options including Stoudemire and Dirk and the rest of them and just wait out a year just stay with their current teams.

Then in 2011 go after Free Agency because then Carmelo will be a Free Agent (Possibility)

I think that would be the best idea for all the free agents.

People do NOT want to be free agents next year.

Next year is the new collective bargaining agreement...and according to rumors and sources, the salaries will STILL go down... lockout or not.

So, No one wants to become a free agent in 2011. There is a reason why so many players had deals that ended in 2010 and with player options for 2011. If things seemed optimistic (for player contracts) about the new agreement, then they'd pick up their player options and play for next year. If things seemed bleak for player contracts, then they'd become free agents in 2010.

So, considering all of the rumors and economy going down the toilet, its a veracious conclusion that they'd opt to become free agents now. This is the last chance to get this amount of years and money. Rumors have it that contracts will be around 4 years max (maybe more for "bird rights" players) and less max money ($12 - $15, instead of the $16 - $22).

I like Melo, but he should have also signed to have free agency this year. His agent didn't inform him well enough.

Kakaroach
05-30-2010, 01:01 AM
From what I understand the league has to have hard proof they were talking about where they will go and what they will do to consider in tampering. Which is close to impossible, just like the other posters have already mentioned. Thats why D. Wade got off the hook.

RaptorizedKevin
05-30-2010, 01:04 AM
theyre friends though, what can david stern do. he fines peoples hundreds of thousands of dollars for things like this and it all goes into his pocket..

RaiderLakersA's
05-30-2010, 01:31 AM
Once they're free agents or have opted out of their contracts, I have no problems with it. It's not illegal or against any NBA policy or collective bargaining agreement as far as I know. Let the players meet and determine where they feel is their best chance to win championships. I see nothing wrong with it.

USMCLaker
05-30-2010, 05:08 AM
All is fair in love and war.

Niro
05-30-2010, 08:12 AM
haha you gotta be kidding me why would it be illegal, everybody does that after highschool...didnt you talk to your friends to which college your gonna go?

ccugrad1
05-30-2010, 10:19 AM
They can have all the meetings they want to, but at the end of the day, it will be all about the same thing, THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus, like they said on the Sports Reporters this morning, there are really only two that people are highly interested in, Lebron James and Dwayne Wade. After watching Amare Stoudamire in the Lakers series, it should be BUYER BEWARE!

Joe Johnson continuously disappeared in the playoffs when it mattered most, so people aren't going to be breaking the doors down for him.

Chris Bosh is intriguing, but he is only a fall back option if teams miss out on Lebron and D-Wade.

It is real simple-- Whomever is offering the most money is where you will see these guys sign!

Beengully26
05-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Once they're free agents or have opted out of their contracts, I have no problems with it. It's not illegal or against any NBA policy or collective bargaining agreement as far as I know. Let the players meet and determine where they feel is their best chance to win championships. I see nothing wrong with it.

Well said....close this piece of ***** thread

jtrinaldi
05-30-2010, 10:49 AM
They can have all the meetings they want to, but at the end of the day, it will be all about the same thing, THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus, like they said on the Sports Reporters this morning, there are really only two that people are highly interested in, Lebron James and Dwayne Wade. After watching Amare Stoudamire in the Lakers series, it should be BUYER BEWARE!

Joe Johnson continuously disappeared in the playoffs when it mattered most, so people aren't going to be breaking the doors down for him.

Chris Bosh is intriguing, but he is only a fall back option if teams miss out on Lebron and D-Wade.

It is real simple-- Whomever is offering the most money is where you will see these guys sign!
isn't the max contract worth the same amount of money no matter which team they go to except if they resign?

igPay atinLay
05-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Nothing is wrong with what they are doing and here is why.

- they all fulfilled their contractual agreements
- the contract is to play basketball and they have done that and have no games left on their contracts
- in a few weeks their contracts are officially expired
- they are simply planning what to do when they officially become unemployed and what they want to do next in their careers

* had these conversations happened a month ago when Lebron and Wade where playing it would be against there contract and rather immoral

igPay atinLay
05-30-2010, 10:56 AM

Not necessarily true....the real money in the NBA is made by winning in the playoffs every year, being one of the best players in the league, and being a threat for a title. If the fans are buying your jersey and you have the international exposure winning brings than you open up the endorsement markets of Europe and China and China literally has more NBA fans than we have citizens in the US....According to an article I read a while back China has over 500 million NBA fans (the population of the entire US is 300 - 400 million), if I stumple across the article I'll post it.

If one team is going to pay 20 million and another 25 million but your going to be winning and getting more exposure at 20 million you'll more than make up the difference in international endorsements, that is where the real money comes from.

****not the link I was thinking of the idea is still there and it briefly mentions the idea, if I find the exact article I'll post the link, but forbes knows money and business****

http://www.forbes.com/global/2009/0622/china-india-adidas-nba-next-frontier.html

thunderforce
05-30-2010, 11:26 AM
if they can do that then the owners should be able to meet and stack one of their teams too , they could have 1 team get all the best players one year the another team the next , heck if the players can do it why not the owners .

Dieselpi
05-30-2010, 11:44 AM
if im not mistaken there was a story a while back about how lebrons agent had signed on with the same management team that covers bosh and wade, so in theory no there is no issue with agents talking to their clients about each other.

Hindy27
05-30-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't know why an extra 1 or 2 million a year is going to make any difference to some of these guys, surely they make way more from endorsements. I know it's an ego thing to be earning more than others, but so is getting championships and creating a dynasty. Also with the dynasty comes even more endorsements that will dwarf the NBA contract.

If I was LeBron or Wade I'd rather get together and both sign on for 12-14mil each knowing we were on the same team rather than take max and have no decent sidekick.

Maybe they are going to do that and we'll see LeBron, Wade and Bosh at the Nets, Knicks, Bulls or Miami and all earning only $8mil each.:D

Giantwarrior
05-30-2010, 01:57 PM
dumb question. think before you speak.

Joker23
05-30-2010, 02:35 PM
There is no way to stop this from happening. I guaranty this is not the first time it has taken place and I assure you it will not be the last.

beasted86
05-30-2010, 03:24 PM
There is no way to stop this from happening. I guaranty this is not the first time it has taken place and I assure you it will not be the last.

Not unless they make a rule change in the next collective bargaining agreement

igPay atinLay
05-30-2010, 03:37 PM
Not unless they make a rule change in the next collective bargaining agreement

You can make a rule and they can follow but the problem is that when July 1 hits they would have no contract, thus the terms of the cba don't matter.

If they have this conversation when their seasons are over and the contracts are about to expire it doesn't really matter if they have it then or on July 1 it is essentially the same thing.

rapsallday
05-30-2010, 05:10 PM
dumb question. think before you speak.

...I wasn't speaking I was typing..dumb comment...think before you type...:facepalm:

PrettyBoyJ
05-30-2010, 05:26 PM
I think all of them goin to meet up and tlk is stupid.. even tho there friends, there also competitors.. teaming up and leaving some teams with nothin is goin to hurt the league.. the amount of teams thats gonna be under 500 next season especially in the east is gonna be overwhelming to the league, there gonna lose a lot of money.. and with the CBA comin owners who lost money are not gonna wanna dish out 20 mil a season anymore

Lakerfrk
05-30-2010, 05:42 PM
theyre friends though, what can david stern do. he fines peoples hundreds of thousands of dollars for things like this and it all goes into his pocket..

All fines that are given by the NBA office go DIRECTLY to charities...

Lakerfrk
05-30-2010, 05:44 PM
...I wasn't speaking I was typing..dumb comment...think before you type...:facepalm:

Really... ur serious?

DeyAce
05-30-2010, 05:50 PM
All i Know is Wade is a peice of shyt

Niro
05-30-2010, 05:51 PM
the free agent meeting isnt illegal penis postings are though

MacFitz92
05-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Meeting up with friends?

Highly illegal in 49 of the 50 states. However it is perfectly legal in Neverland.

igPay atinLay
05-30-2010, 06:30 PM
All fines that are given by the NBA office go DIRECTLY to charities...

link please

poster below me thanks for posting the link and I'm guessing your Lakerfrk and you made a new account to post the link for some strange reason.

Archie909
05-30-2010, 07:35 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/nba/s/2001/0406/1168454.html

shen
05-30-2010, 07:45 PM
The NBA said there is no problem with the players meeting. It is a bunch of friends meeting up to talk about what is in the best interest of themselves. Players who are FA after this year are kicking themselves. It has been said by several people that salaries will be drastically cut and years will be lowered as well.