PDA

View Full Version : Big Name Free Agents vs. Role Player Free Agents

JasonJohnHorn
05-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Everybody had been making noise about all the big names out there on the market, LBJ, Wade, Bosh, Joe Johnson and potentially guys like Amare and Dirk. But in years past we have seen guys who didn't get a lot of attention make big impacts with teams they signed with. James Posey for example when he signed with the Celtics (and not so much when he signed with the Hornets), or players like Chauncey Billups when he first signed with Detroit.

There are a lot of names out there that could make a huge impact if they sign with the right teams, Brad Miller has a great skill set, John Salmons, and many others. Which role players do you guys think will make the biggest impact next season and where would you like to see some of these talented guys go?

ldc62
05-29-2010, 07:55 PM
David Lee will make an impact somewhere. Not good enough to be a 1st or 2nd option tho.

astrosmaniac
05-29-2010, 07:58 PM
i think brendan haywood if he goes to the right spot. somewhere like houston where he would get a significant amount of minutes backing up yao ming

Chill_Will_24
05-29-2010, 08:10 PM
I think Ray Allen will make a huge impact wherever he goes. I dont think he stays in Boston. He is still playing at a high level and if he ends up in a team that will reduce his minutes he still has a couple of years left. NJ seems like a good fit. They are young and need a good veteran like him. He could start and share minutes with Terrence Williams and Courtney Lee. Minny would also want him. How much money would he be asking for thou?

acehole
05-29-2010, 08:12 PM
I think Ray Allen will make a huge impact wherever he goes. I dont think he stays in Boston. He is still playing at a high level and if he ends up in a team that will reduce his minutes he still has a couple of years left. NJ seems like a good fit. They are young and need a good veteran like him. He could start and share minutes with Terrence Williams and Courtney Lee. Minny would also want him. How much money would he be asking for thou?

really? so Ray ray would leave a championship contender for possibly the next 1-2 years to go to a rebuilding project such as the nets or twolves?

one would think otherwise..

Montana_Rob
05-29-2010, 08:14 PM

I know this would never happen but Ray Ray would be a great fit with the Lakers MLE. He went to UConn and im sure will stay in Boston for relatively cheap

Giannis94
05-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Ray stays in boston or possibly goes to new York if Tmac resigns cheap, they resign lee and get 2 max fa's. That would be ideal for them

xabial
05-29-2010, 08:34 PM
1. David Lee
2. Ray Allen
3. Brandon Haywood.
4. John Salmons
5. T Mac?

bkmikeyy
05-29-2010, 08:51 PM
David Lee hopefully will be part of the trade that brings Chris Bosh to New York. Lee and some cap relief (maybe in a Curry for a player with some years left on his contract) should be a nice consolation prize for Toronto if he decides to leave.

JasonJohnHorn
05-29-2010, 08:57 PM
T-Mac is certainly a wild card, depending on what his game is like, he could be a non-factor and tip the scales in favour of a team building a contender, or he could implode a team like Iverson almost did with Memphis.

I'm looking forward to see what David Lee does. He could be a HUGE help to a team like the Thunder, who need a hardnosed rebounder and a teamminded player who doesn't mind not being the first option, and Lee is exactly that.

Ray Allen is also a huge potential scale tipper. I see him likely staying with the Celtics, but they may get some offers on his expiring contract before free agency opens, so his "Bird" rights may end up belonging to a team that has no interest in re-signing him.

I'm also curious as to where Brad Miller will end up because he has a sweet stroke that makes him very effective on the high pick-and-roll, great passing, can rebound and is a big body to put in the lane and everybody needs one of those. He may be too slow for Phoenix, but his skill set fits them well, and he could thrive with the Spurs who are sorely lacking a legit center.

I believe Josh Childress may be headed back to the NBA, his contract is up, and he could provide much needed help to teams lacking a true shooting guard like the Cavs were this year, though i've never gotten to watch him play much so I can't say.

Raymond Felton is also up. I'm curious to see where he will go.

Big Z and Shaq are both up, and both would make a seriously great back-up center.

Drew Gooden has been known to provide consistent double-doubles in the past. The thunrder could also use him as well as David Lee.

Louis Scola is a restricted free agent.

Jermaine O'Neal and Udonis Haslem are both up, and Haslem certainly could help out teams like the Thunder or the Spurs since he got a lot of time at center.

Al Harrington. Hughes. Darko? Amir Johnson. Mike Miller could be huge for a number of teams.

And anybody hear what is going on with Sean Williams? I know he wasn't panning out exactly, but his size and athleticism seems to make him worth at least the league minimum to somebody.

PC
05-29-2010, 09:04 PM
I think in the right situation, Randy Foye could really thrive

JasonJohnHorn
05-29-2010, 09:18 PM
I think in the right situation, Randy Foye could really thrive

You sir, are very right. He has game for sure and potential that has not yet been fully tapped. I thought he and Mike Miller and a healthy Arenas would really put the Wizards in the race for the division title....:facepalm: Shows what I know.

I wonder what the ideal situation would be for him though?

fadedmario
05-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Ray Allen will end his career in Boston for sure. I'm a Detroit fan and I'd love to see Brendan Haywood starting at center for us.

ManRam
05-29-2010, 09:24 PM
I think guys like JJ Redick, Randy Foye, Amir Johnson, Hakim Warrick, Luke Ridnour, Marvin Williams, Steve Blake, Haywood and Roger Mason are the stud role players out there. There is a lot of depth to this FA class too. It isn't just top heavy.

pistonsfanomg
05-29-2010, 09:26 PM
I think John Salmons can make a great impact to a team....

Not sure about Brad Miller though

HouRealCoach
05-29-2010, 09:33 PM
I want Knicks to sign Bosh, Lee, B. Miller, M. Miller, Kapono, Korver, and Allen

HouRealCoach
05-29-2010, 09:34 PM
I like the Free Agents alot... I wanna see if these teams can get the right role players to put around the stars

xwashableclothx
05-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Its all about the role players getting with the right coaches/teams.

If Luke Ridnour could end up on the Knicks, playing for Dantoni he could go crazy.

If David Lee can get on a team where hes a PF next to a shot blocking center I think he would do really well.

Chill_Will_24
05-29-2010, 11:17 PM
I think Ray Allen would leave if the situation bebefits his family. Hes a professional not a competitor. I dont think hes looking for a legacy or anything. NBA players are not stupid. They can certainly look past records and present situations. Any person here that truly believes the Nets will be bottom dwellers again next year are blind. They are in position to make a lot of noise next year. Surely free agents can see that.

JasonJohnHorn
05-29-2010, 11:53 PM
I think Ray Allen would leave if the situation bebefits his family. Hes a professional not a competitor. I dont think hes looking for a legacy or anything. NBA players are not stupid. They can certainly look past records and present situations. Any person here that truly believes the Nets will be bottom dwellers again next year are blind. They are in position to make a lot of noise next year. Surely free agents can see that.

You are right. There are a lot of reasons to be excited about the Nets next season. They have a solid center in Lopez, which is one of the harder positions to fill, they have some solid backcourt players in Courtney Lee, Douglas-Roberts and Harris (though Harris needs to bring his FG% back up), and they have the cap space to sign a big name free agent (or two if they can work a sign-and-trade), and will be able to pick up somebody with the MKE as well, to go a long with a high draft pick. I'm not saying they will get all the pieces they need to get back in the playoffs this year, but they certainly have the ability to make a dramatic turnaround if they make the right choices. And I kinda like Josh Boone too. That guy is a work horse on the glass.

Kakaroach
05-30-2010, 12:10 AM
Yeah this free agent class is so great not just because of all the elite players at the top, but also those second-tier free agents that are make big impacts too. Guys like Brendand Haywood, Kyle Korver, John Salmons, Brad Miller, Ray Allen, and Rudy Gay just to name a few.

soonabooma
05-30-2010, 12:32 AM
I'd love to get Lee in OKC. He'd be a great fit on our team. I swear, I'm gonna punch the next one of our fans that says they don't want him becuz he doesn't play defense. Hello.......the guy plays for Mike D'Antoni in NEW YORK. They don't play defense there. Lee shouldn't get a bad rap becuz of the system he plays in. Put him on a good team that actually plays team ball and he'll be fine. He's carrying the entire Knicks team on his back. Let him play on a team where he doesn't have to do everything. He's a heck of a player, and he still has plenty of room to grow. I'd love to see him in a Thunder jersey next year.........and Haywood too.;)

PrettyBoyJ
05-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Guy like Rudy Gay.. If he decides to leave Memphis where ever goes he will add length and athleticism on the wing..

robdog_5
05-30-2010, 01:59 AM
Louis Scola is a favorite of mine. If he went to a contender who didn't overpay and he could play his role he has now with a good supporting cast he could be a huge asset.

If you need bench hustle guy, Louis Admundson is a cheap fit.

Thunder who after this season is a team I will follow from a far, could use a shooter like Reddick or Korver off the bench, and add a C like Brenden Haywood would make them a legit contender IMO

eso
05-30-2010, 04:33 AM
it wont happen but i think Randy Foye would become all he can be with the Lakers, playing the point in the triangle would suit him to a tee ala ron harper.. just my two cents.

abe_froman
05-30-2010, 04:43 AM
i thought this was a thread about guys like tyson chandler,morrow or jj reddick?

i cant exactly call lee(all star last year) or ray allen(star/superstar,albeit fading ,in twilight)roleplayers

J-Relo
05-30-2010, 05:03 AM
i think brendan haywood if he goes to the right spot. somewhere like houston where he would get a significant amount of minutes backing up yao ming

are you joking???

Corey
05-30-2010, 07:42 AM
I don't know why, but I think Ray will stay in Boston.

We made a finals appearance with him as a starter, and he's arguably in better shape than anyone not named Rondo. (on the Celtics).

He could potentially play effectively until he's 40 because of his style of play.

hugepatsfan
05-30-2010, 08:06 AM
I hope the Celts resign Ray, sign John Salmons to the MLE, resign Nate (or another 10-15 minute backup PG), and draft a developmental wing for the future at #19

PG: Rondo, Nate
SG: Ray, Salmons, pick #19
SF: Pierce, Salmons, pick #19
PF: KG, Baby
C: Perk, Sheed

That's 10 players right there. Then they could resign Scal to the league minimum (knows the system, good team defender in certain spots). Maybe look to add another big in FA (like they did this year with Sheldon Williams or Patrick O'Bryant the year before). Then add another 1-3 cheap FAs for depth.

astrosmaniac
05-30-2010, 10:58 AM
are you joking???

why? houston will definitely be monitoring Yao's minutes, and hes a defensive, rebounding center, which is what they need when yao is not on the court. if haywood had been on the team this year instead of hayes they would have made the playoffs

97NYer
05-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Ray stays in boston or possibly goes to new York if Tmac resigns cheap, they resign lee and get 2 max fa's. That would be ideal for them

With our billions of dollars in cap space right? We have enough for two maxes. No room for Lee and T-mac and Ray would have to sign for exeptions.