PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Andrew Cashner up Monday?

hawkeyefootball
05-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Current rumor is that #Cubs bring up Andrew Cashner on Monday.

http://twitter.com/Kevin_Goldstein/statuses/14986947781

Ron!n
05-29-2010, 01:28 PM
This just keeps getting more confusing. If we have an extra starter why would we call up Cashner? Unless someone from the pen is going down then we'd still have an extra starter.

brandonwarne52
05-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Well I just raced to pick him up in my dynasty league. Don't let me down!

Ron!n
05-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Well I just raced to pick him up in my dynasty league. Don't let me down!
He probably wont be starting anyways.

StrandedCub
05-29-2010, 02:29 PM
The Cubs are very confusing... I'm to the point where I am going to stop trying to guess what they are gonna do.

brandonwarne52
05-29-2010, 02:32 PM
He probably wont be starting anyways.

Doesn't matter. This is a 100% keeper league. I dropped D. Willis for him.

bulldog312
05-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Wait, I'm confused? First we call up Castro when our middle infielders are playing some of the best baseball on the team, and now we are going to call up a starter when we already have 6 (and our bullpen has been pretty good lately). Unless some people are going to be traded in the near future I'm really not liking a lot of these moves.

brandonwarne52
05-29-2010, 02:43 PM
From what I read he is or was transitioned to the pen, which makes a little more sense.

Ron!n
05-29-2010, 02:47 PM
From what I read he is or was transitioned to the pen, which makes a little more sense.
Yeah but we already have extra pitchers so there really is no sense in bringing him up unless theres some move in the waiting.

Jilly Bohnson
05-29-2010, 03:03 PM
So does this mean Howry gets cut or a starter gets traded?

Acronym
05-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah but we already have extra pitchers so there really is no sense in bringing him up unless theres some move in the waiting.

Everybody needs to pray to their God as well as every pagan heretic deity there has ever been that the corresponding move is to take John Grabow out to a pasture and shoot him in the head.

Mell413
05-29-2010, 03:06 PM
I'm okay with this if it means they are sending Grabow down. He's a replacement level RP and they have 2 good lefties in the pen now. I hope it's not Stevens or Russell that's sent down. With Hendry's job on the line you would hope he would keep the best relievers up here.

Jilly Bohnson
05-29-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm okay with this if it means they are sending Grabow down. He's a replacement level RP and they have 2 good lefties in the pen now. I hope it's not Stevens or Russell that's sent down. With Hendry's job on the line you would hope he would keep the best relievers up here.

Grabow's a vet that's not an option. It has to be one of three things:

1. A starter gets traded
2. Howry gets cut
3. Stevens or Russell gets demoted

I'm hoping it's both of the first two and someone else comes up with him(Blake Parker?) or someone comes back in the trade, but most likely it's either 1 or 2. Probably 2.

Mell413
05-29-2010, 03:27 PM

1. A starter gets traded
2. Howry gets cut

I'm hoping it's both of the first two and someone else comes up with him(Blake Parker?) or someone comes back in the trade, but most likely it's either 1 or 2. Probably 2.

I forgot you can't send Grabow down. As long as Lou doesn't use him in high leverage spots I can tolerate him being up here. I'd have no problem with Howry getting cut. Maybe he was just here to buy some time until someone was ready to come up. We do have a surplus of arms so hopefully we can turn it into something. Parker has not been walking guys lately so maybe he is turning the corner in that regard.

Doogolas
05-29-2010, 03:30 PM
I forgot you can't send Grabow down. As long as Lou doesn't use him in high leverage spots I can tolerate him being up here. I'd have no problem with Howry getting cut. Maybe he was just here to buy some time until someone was ready to come up. We do have a surplus of arms so hopefully we can turn it into something. Parker has not been walking guys lately so maybe he is turning the corner in that regard.

Yeah Parker hasn't walked anybody in, I believe, 8IP now.

Ron!n
05-29-2010, 03:34 PM

1. A starter gets traded
2. Howry gets cut

Well trading for another pitcher doesnt really help our logjam unless we trade for someone and cut Howry.

Jilly Bohnson
05-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Well trading for another pitcher doesnt really help our logjam unless we trade for someone and cut Howry.

That's a good point, if it's just the trade then we couldn't bring back a pitcher.

Dmac
05-29-2010, 05:18 PM

They can't send him down, but they could DL him with an "injury". My guess is Z goes to the rotation, Gorzo goes to the pen, Cashner comes up, and Grabow goes on the DL. It would solve the problem of having too many lefties in the pen, and they would get rid of Grabow for a few weeks.

Ron!n
05-29-2010, 06:45 PM
They can't send him down, but they could DL him with an "injury". My guess is Z goes to the rotation, Gorzo goes to the pen, Cashner comes up, and Grabow goes on the DL. It would solve the problem of having too many lefties in the pen, and they would get rid of Grabow for a few weeks.
You still have an extra starter that way. If Cashner comes up at least 2 guys have to move.

KOENIG
05-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Hendry is in FULL PANIC MODE.

Matchstckman
05-29-2010, 07:05 PM
I think it's going to be Russell down, Gorz to pen, Cashner with him.

StrandedCub
05-29-2010, 07:11 PM
I think it's going to be Russell down, Gorz to pen, Cashner with him.

Agreed, which sucks because Russell doesn't deserve to be the odd man out.

Matchstckman
05-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Agreed, which sucks because Russell doesn't deserve to be the odd man out.

Not at all. ****in' Grabow.

theSPECIALKID
05-29-2010, 07:27 PM
That would be stupid as **** to send Russel down. Put Grablow on the DL please..

Dmac
05-29-2010, 07:45 PM
You still have an extra starter that way. If Cashner comes up at least 2 guys have to move.

No, you don't. Gorzo goes to the pen, Z takes his spot. Cashner would replace Grabow in the pen. Gorzo and Z are currently on the roster, they are just switching roles, they are only adding one more pitcher to the team, so they only have to remove one from current team.

Dmac
05-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Not at all. ****in' Grabow.

I don't think Russell goes down. He has pitched too well. I think his four scoreless innings yesterday solidified his spot in the pen. I still think they will come up with an injury for Grabow. They have to. Sending Russell down and bringing Cashner up really doesn't help the pen the way Russell has pitched. He has been pretty solid all year.

StrandedCub
05-29-2010, 07:54 PM
I don't think Russell goes down. He has pitched too well. I think his four scoreless innings yesterday solidified his spot in the pen. I still think they will come up with an injury for Grabow. They have to. Sending Russell down and bringing Cashner up really doesn't help the pen the way Russell has pitched. He has been pretty solid all year.

I agree with you that this is what should happen but I don't think it will. You are thinking way too logically. Lol Since when do we do things that make sense?

Acronym
05-29-2010, 08:06 PM
I agree the Grabow needs to be the man who is cut (or Howry) but I'm almost sure it will be Russell.

Lou seems attached to Grabow's immense suckitude, and that means if Russell stays there are just too many lefties. So Russell goes down until Lilly murders Grabow.

Dmac
05-29-2010, 08:20 PM
I agree with you that this is what should happen but I don't think it will. You are thinking way too logically. Lol Since when do we do things that make sense?

Yeah, I know. I am just hoping they do what is best for the team and DL Grabow. If they really want to improve the pen, Cashner replacing him and keeping Russell on the roster is the best way to go.

If they were really set on Cashner joining the pen, he should have been relieving a few weeks ago, and brought up when we signed Howry instead. So the odds of them doing the logical move this time around are not in their favor.

Matchstckman
05-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Is it wrong that I wish Grabow pulls a Cory Lidle?

CycloneSig
05-29-2010, 08:34 PM
I like the idea of bringing up Cashner, but I do not suspect he'll have instant success. He will be at the back of the line in the bullpen. Some left-hander besides Marshall is leaving, but it doesn't much matter. The bullpen will still be a carousel for the younger players, I guarantee it.

JayBandit
05-29-2010, 09:22 PM
people need to relax on grabow. You don't cut a guy 2 months after signing him to a multi-year contract when he has a record of being a good player. We have to wait him out, as painful as that may be. Just like Ramirez, we have to let him play it out.

Gorzy is clearly going to the pen to switch with Z, and obviously Cashner is coming for one of the lefties.

Acronym
05-29-2010, 09:28 PM
people need to relax on grabow. You don't cut a guy 2 months after signing him to a multi-year contract when he has a record of being a good player. We have to wait him out, as painful as that may be. Just like Ramirez, we have to let him play it out.

Gorzy is clearly going to the pen to switch with Z, and obviously Cashner is coming for one of the lefties.

Grabow has never been nearly as good a RP as Ramirez has been a 3B. Irrelevant comparison.

Matchstckman
05-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Grabow has never been nearly as good a RP as Ramirez has been a 3B. Irrelevant comparison.

Then why is Grabow consistently called "The Aramis Ramirez of LOOGYs?"

Doogolas
05-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Then why is Grabow consistently called "The Aramis Ramirez of LOOGYs?"

Grabow isn't even a LOOGY. :laugh2: I am aware you're kidding. Yes.

semperfi
05-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Come on now, Grabow is Mariano Rivera esk(however the **** do you spell that).

Dmac
05-29-2010, 11:22 PM

Nobody said anything about cutting him. That obviously isn't going to happen. He has been ineffective though, and it's not unrealistic to think that they could put him on the DL with some phantom injury so he can work on whatever problems he is having of getting people out consistently.

bullcubbear23
05-30-2010, 12:04 AM
How bout Stevens down, Grabow to DL, Cashner up?

Acronym
05-30-2010, 12:09 AM
How bout Stevens down, Grabow to DL, Cashner up?

I'd be okay with that but I don't see it happening since the Cubs are too dumb to get rid of Grabow.

BobTheAutomator
05-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Come on now, Grabow is Mariano Rivera esk(however the **** do you spell that).

I believe it's Rivera-esque

ST.maarten'stop
05-30-2010, 02:53 AM
I say designate Gaybrow for assignment.. that way we only would suffer one year with is contract..he clears waivers then we drop him AAA..if not and another team takes him then we still loose his salary..

dabears2010
05-30-2010, 03:01 AM
This just keeps getting more confusing. If we have an extra starter why would we call up Cashner? Unless someone from the pen is going down then we'd still have an extra starter.

Cashner moved to the Bullpen in AAA for a reason. He's getting acustomed to that role. The rotation will probably be Zambrano, Dempster, Lilly, Silva, Wells. Gorzellanny will be moving to the pen more than likely. This creates an overload of LHP in the pen (4 I believe). Hopefully Cashner replaces Grabow, but I doubt that'll happen cause they are paying him so much to be their veteran LHP setup man. To tell you the truth, the worst Relief pitchers on the Cubs are Grabow, Howry and that's about it. Unless they do something that surprises us all and get rid of both of them for the youngsters Cashner and Jackson (which I'm all for), I have no idea what they're going to do. Russell has been outstanding and so has Marshall. Marmol has been the best closer in the majors in my opinion. Stevens has done a nice job in his short time. Stevens will probably be the odd man out, but that doesn't solve having too many lefties.

dabears2010
05-30-2010, 03:07 AM

I wouldn't wait Ramirez OR Grabow out if it was my team. They are both playing horribly and not at all helping the team OR earning their salaries. I'd trade them both. Surely another team needs a LHP and a 3B. Ramirez is on a downslope of his career. If you compare this year to his second in the majors, you will see common ground, although this year is even worse than then. I'd have Vitters up starting with Fontenot backing up SS and 3B. Zambrano would be gone and Cashner would take his place. Grabow's spot would be occupied by Jackson. I think a team with all youngsters from the farm system, except Byrd, maybe Soriano, and the rest of the pitchers (minus Z and Grabow) would be a far better team than what they have right now.

dabears2010
05-30-2010, 03:14 AM
This is the starting team I'd be putting out on the field on a daily basis:

LF Soriano
CF Byrd
RF Colvin
3B Chad Tracy (.456 AVG through 16 AAA games)
SS Castro
2B Theriot w/ Fontenot possibly getting AB's here vs RHPs
1B Lee
C Hill and Soto depending on matchups cause Soto has sucked since the first month.

This lineup would be better than any Pinella has fielded yet this year.

dabears2010
05-30-2010, 03:26 AM
Pitching staff SHOULD BE:

#1 Dempster
#2 Silva
#3 Lilly
#4 Zambrano (wishful thinking is he gets traded and Cashner is here)
#5 Wells

Relievers:

Long Relief-- Gorzellanny

Short relievers:

James Russell (LHP-2.33 ERA in 17 games)
Randy Jackson (RHP-2.19 ERA in 13 games for AAA)
Jeff Stevens (RHP-0.00 ERA in 4 games)

Setup Pitchers:

Sean Marshall (LHP -1.82 ERA in 26 games)
Andrew Cashner (RHP-.86 ERA in 5 games for AAA)

Closer:

Carlos Marmol (RHP- 1.46 ERA in 23 games)

dabears2010
05-30-2010, 03:28 AM
Notice 2 names not in the relievers list of mine........? Yeah that's right.......Howry and Grabow both suck. Cashner and Jackson stole their jobs.

Chicago657
05-30-2010, 04:19 AM
Notice 2 names not in the relievers list of mine........? Yeah that's right.......Howry and Grabow both suck. Cashner and Jackson stole their jobs.

I couldn't take a word you just said seriously after you said you would have Vitters starting right now :facepalm:

EDIT: You also said "Randy Jackson" in place of "Jay Jackson". This is a simple typo and I thought it was funny and wanted to point it out. Get that American Idol **** out of here.

semperfi
05-30-2010, 08:44 AM
This thread made me laugh...multiple times.

Tyking4
05-30-2010, 10:46 AM

LF Soriano
CF Byrd
RF Colvin
SS Castro
1B Lee
C Hill and Soto depending on matchups cause Soto has sucked since the first month.

That's terrible. We wouldn't even win like 50 games with that.

Matchstckman
05-30-2010, 11:05 AM

LF Soriano
CF Byrd
RF Colvin
SS Castro
1B Lee

I'd move Hill up to the 5 hole and maybe call up Hoffpauir to replace Lee, but other than that this looks pretty good.

cowboydoc45
05-30-2010, 11:16 AM
I'd move Hill up to the 5 hole and maybe call up Hoffpauir to replace Lee, but other than that this looks pretty good.

Don't forget to call up Fuld... he's super scrappy

Acronym
05-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Don't forget to call up Fuld... he's super scrappy

Fuld? Please.

This lineup needs Bobby Scales.

Yagyu+
05-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Fuld? Please.

This lineup needs Bobby Scales.

I'd rather see if we can swing a deal with the Rangers. I hear good stuff about Andres Blanco.

Tyking4
05-30-2010, 11:55 AM
I'd rather see if we can swing a deal with the Rangers. I hear good stuff about Andres Blanco.

Not Corey Patterson?

Yagyu+
05-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Not Corey Patterson?

A fine idea. Mr. Patterson would give us that veteran presence in the bullpen that we so desperately need.

Also, Dontrelle Willis.

Cubby
05-30-2010, 12:33 PM

LF Soriano
CF Byrd
RF Colvin
SS Castro
1B Lee

Lou? Is that you?

RedHeadsRule
05-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Kaplan said again that Cashner will be up for the game tomorrow, but he doesn't know what the corresponding move will be.

Something has to be done with one of the lefties in the pen, either a Gorzelanny trade, a Grabow fake injury, or Russell getting sent down even though he doesn't deserve it. I think Howry and Stevens are safe. We don't need 4 lefties.

Ron!n
05-30-2010, 01:58 PM
It could be a good sign that we havent heard any rumors from anyone. Hendry always seems to surprise when he makes a trade/move.

Chicago657
05-30-2010, 02:11 PM
It could be a good sign that we havent heard any rumors from anyone. Hendry always seems to surprise when he makes a trade/move.

Yeah thats the best part about his trades. The ones in the media don't happen like Peavy and Roberts, but then I wake up one morning and see OMFG WTF RICH HARDEN?!?!?! It makes you feel so much better.

Yagyu+
05-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Yeah thats the best part about his trades. The ones in the media don't happen like Peavy and Roberts, but then I wake up one morning and see OMFG WTF RICH HARDEN?!?!?! It makes you feel so much better.

Like when Hendry jumps out of a cake. That too always seems to be a surprise.

StrandedCub
05-30-2010, 02:58 PM
I couldn't take a word you just said seriously after you said you would have Vitters starting right now :facepalm:

EDIT: You also said "Randy Jackson" in place of "Jay Jackson". This is a simple typo and I thought it was funny and wanted to point it out. Get that American Idol **** out of here.

His real name is Randy Jackson... No joke.

Randy "Jay" Jackson (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=543351)

Wackoman1
05-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Its confirmed Cashner will come up tomorrow, per Muskat's twitter

Jilly Bohnson
05-31-2010, 12:33 AM
Kaplan said again that Cashner will be up for the game tomorrow, but he doesn't know what the corresponding move will be.

Something has to be done with one of the lefties in the pen, either a Gorzelanny trade, a Grabow fake injury, or Russell getting sent down even though he doesn't deserve it. I think Howry and Stevens are safe. We don't need 4 lefties.

Or maybe they'll just eschew the whole lefty/righty thing, realizing that Marshall, Gorz, Grabow when he's right, and early on at least Russell don't have big platoon splits...

Oh, wait, Lou's our manager :laugh2:

Jilly Bohnson
05-31-2010, 12:35 AM
His real name is Randy Jackson... No joke.

Randy "Jay" Jackson (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=543351)

Dammit, I knew of this, but had been keeping it under my hat hoping to get the first Randy Jackson sig when he got called up. Possibly a gif of that part in Step Brothers with the samurai sword.

BobTheAutomator
05-31-2010, 10:06 AM
According to Bruce Levine's twitter, Cashner is up and Grabow to the DL.

cowboydoc45
05-31-2010, 10:11 AM

Welcome to Heilman/Miles syndrome Grablow...

Ron!n
05-31-2010, 10:11 AM
:dance2:

Yagyu+
05-31-2010, 10:13 AM
Per Bruce Levine (http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5235631):

Chicago Cubs left-handed reliever John Grabow was put on the 15-day disabled list on Monday with knee tendinitis, and in a corresponding move, the team has selected the contract of top pitching prospect Andrew Cashner from their Triple-A Iowa roster.

...Grabow missed time earlier this month with the same knee problem. The veteran pitcher, who signed a two-year contract with the Cubs in the offseason, has been ineffective most of the 2010 season. Grabow's role was to be the primary setup man for closer Carlos Marmol. That role has been taken over by Sean Marshall...for the past three years.

hawkeyefootball
05-31-2010, 11:00 AM
I hope we 'Jon Lieber' Grabow.

s2obed
05-31-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm glad management did something right. WTF is wrong with Grabow, he's given up at least a run in his last six outings. He's been terrible.

CubbieSteve
05-31-2010, 11:36 AM
Cool. Can't wait to see him throw.

northsider
05-31-2010, 11:44 AM
And with that ends the chapter of Grablow well at least for now.

Dmac
05-31-2010, 11:46 AM
Welcome to Heilman/Miles syndrome Grablow...

That's what I figured would happen. It was the most logical move. They couldn't send Russell down. Hopefully Grabow can right whatever is wrong while he is "injured".