PDA

View Full Version : Rivalries that could be renewed next year?

Boston Faithful
05-29-2010, 03:39 AM
I was thinking, the Celtics vs. the Lakers is the only historic rivalry going right now in the NBA. Rivalries are really good for the NBA and if the Knicks or Bulls can become good again, that certainly would spice up the NBA.

What can be renewed next year?

Finals-wise, the possibilities include: Knicks/Lakers (3 really historic matchups) Celtics/Rockets (if the Rockets get better) rivalry (2 previous matchups) and Bulls/Lakers (one Magic-Michael meeting in the Finals)

I would say 76ers/Lakers, but the 76ers are a long way from becoming a good team again.

As far as historic conference rivals: The Knicks and the Bulls, the Knicks and the Heat, the Celtics and the Knicks, the Celtics and the Bulls.

Again, I would say Bulls/Pistons or Knicks/Pacers, but the Pistons/Pacers are far from being good.

Any other ideas?

kArSoN RyDaH
05-29-2010, 04:01 AM
for conference rivals id like to think the lakers will meet OKC again later on in the playoffs next year. utah we have dominated for the past 3 years so its nothing big. but other than that nuthin else IMO

Raph12
05-29-2010, 04:08 AM
We could see a potential Magic-Rockets Finals series rematch but this time with Dwight-Yao highlighting instead of Hakeem-Shaq, but that's only if the Rockets can land a superstar.

OA SLAY
05-29-2010, 04:09 AM
Heat v Knicks

kArSoN RyDaH
05-29-2010, 04:10 AM
We could see a potential Magic-Rockets Finals series rematch but this time with Dwight-Yao highlighting instead of Hakeem-Shaq, but that's only if the Rockets can land a superstar.

i highly doubt the rockets will land a star anytime soon.

OA SLAY
05-29-2010, 04:11 AM
Bulls v pacers, Bulls v Jazz once Bozzer flips teams.

asandhu23
05-29-2010, 04:15 AM
Warriors.... oh who the hell am I kidding? :sigh:

LkrLand
05-29-2010, 04:47 AM
I was thinking, the Celtics vs. the Lakers is the only historic rivalry going right now in the NBA. Rivalries are really good for the NBA and if the Knicks or Bulls can become good again, that certainly would spice up the NBA.

Finals-wise, the possibilities include: Knicks/Lakers (3 really historic matchups) Celtics/Rockets (if the Rockets get better) rivalry (2 previous matchups) and Bulls/Lakers (one Magic-Michael meeting in the Finals)

I would say 76ers/Lakers, but the 76ers are a long way from becoming a good team again.

As far as historic conference rivals: The Knicks and the Bulls, the Knicks and the Heat, the Celtics and the Knicks, the Celtics and the Bulls.

Again, I would say Bulls/Pistons or Knicks/Pacers, but the Pistons/Pacers are far from being good.

Any other ideas?

I think the Lakers/Bulls matchup would be sick in the Finals, but only if they landed Lebron.

WatWoudJordanDo
05-29-2010, 07:14 AM
i still would love to see this scenario play out...lakers win title this year, phil resigns with the lakers for 1 more year, bulls sign lebron, bulls now try to stop phil from going for 3peat #4 in the finals...

but back to topic... Cs and bulls we restarted last playoffs, at least amongst the fans here
if lebron+1 to NY:
NY and CHI would be back as bulls already battle for playoffs and come to compete
IND is still just too far away from competing win anyone in the playoffs let alone the LeBrons

nothing else really pops out to me...maybe a CHI/UTA...if HOU adds one more solid piece and stay healthy a HOU/LA or HOU/SA

JordansBulls
05-29-2010, 08:41 AM

Any other ideas?

Bulls vs Knicks hopefully and Bulls vs Heat.

Raoul Duke
05-29-2010, 09:11 AM
I hate the idea of re-hashing old rivalries. The new Bulls teams are never going to hate the Pistons, or vice versa, like those two teams did back in the day. I'd like to see some good new rivalries start after this summer's free agent frenzy. LA/OKC could be a great one if they can meet in the playoffs a couple more times, and soon.

But seriously, I don't see any real, palpable hate like there used to be. Today's NBA players all look at eachother as co-workers now. It's too business-like.

Slimsim
05-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Bulls vs the Knicks

LBJ and rose VS melo and Cp3

Kakaroach
05-29-2010, 09:40 AM
We could see a potential Magic-Rockets Finals series rematch but this time with Dwight-Yao highlighting instead of Hakeem-Shaq, but that's only if the Rockets can land a superstar. Thats a very interesting idea and that would be pretty cool. But to me the Rockets team is good enough to make the Finals if Yao is 100% healthy, which unfortunately is never for sure.

king4day
05-29-2010, 09:49 AM
If Amar'e stays, than it may be LA/PHX again.
Boston/LA isn't a rivalry. If they didn't have a past, no one would be talking about them.

mser58
05-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Sixers Celtics

chitownbulls
05-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Heat vs Bulls

xabial
05-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Im surprised no one said Knicks/Celtics

Most New York and Boston fans hate each other in all things sports.

ZioAx
05-29-2010, 12:20 PM
If Amar'e stays, than it may be LA/PHX again.
Boston/LA isn't a rivalry. If they didn't have a past, no one would be talking about them.

Boston has won 9 out of the 11 times we've met in the Finals. You're right, not much of a rivalry when Boston has dominated.

tennisoscar1
05-29-2010, 12:37 PM
sixers vs celtics could be good again.

Sadds The Gr8
05-29-2010, 12:41 PM
NBA is puss nowdays....no rivalries at all. To have a rivalry, you need players from opposing teams that despise each other and hate losing against that opposing team. No one does that in today's NBA.

mser58
06-01-2010, 09:06 AM
NBA is puss nowdays....no rivalries at all. To have a rivalry, you need players from opposing teams that despise each other and hate losing against that opposing team. No one does that in today's NBA.

totally agree, everyone is too nice!

NHL playoffs, teams hate eachother, fans hate eachother, that ferocity makes the NHL so much better then the NBA

Sly Guy
06-01-2010, 09:50 AM
I don't want to see old rivalries renewed, I just want to see good teams, or teams that are playing out of their skulls to make the finals next year. Celts-Lakers yawn!

RaiderLakersA's
06-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Heat v Knicks

This. And can we get Jeff Van Gundy back into the coach's chair again? Long overdue.

RaiderLakersA's
06-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Boston has won 9 out of the 11 times we've met in the Finals. You're right, not much of a rivalry when Boston has dominated.

Well, considering that you've been to the Finals 20 times, and we've been there 31, who else were you going to play against? :)

And even if the Batman defeats the Joker a hundred times over, it doesn't mean that he takes the Joker lightly. Ever.

Sometimes a rivalry is about more than the win-loss record. It's about the bad blood that arises during the heat of competition. The fans on both sides know it; they feel it in their bones. Why else did we hear "Beat LA!" and "We want Boston!" chants long before either Conference series had been decided?

Face it, my friend, this isn't a rivalry, this is the stuff of legend. Thursday is almost here.

RipVW
06-01-2010, 02:39 PM
What about the Sixers and Lakers? They faced each other in the finals as often as the Celtics and Lakers did but with the Lakers winning 2 out of 3.

KaganRS
06-01-2010, 02:44 PM
NBA PLAYERS vs. FAKE SYNTHETIC BASKETBALL

LTS
06-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Kings v lakers you know in a couple mor eyears .....hopefully

Southsideheat
06-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Bulls Knicks.

97NYer
06-01-2010, 04:11 PM
EC rivalry:Bulls and Knicks