PDA

View Full Version : Concerned about Wells?

ty_smitty21
05-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Today was the second start this season in which randy Wells had NOTHING on the mound. Batting practice pitches in those 2 outings. Is anybody else concerned about this? I know Wells has been very solid outside of those 2 starts, but this definitely has me concerned. It's one thing to not have your good stuff... it's another thing to have absolutely nothing.

Leave it to the Cubs to quickly let you down when you get any hope at all.

Let's hope we can bounce back tomorrow with Silva.

CubbieSteve
05-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Bullpen

BDawk4Prez
05-28-2010, 03:31 PM
In before close.

Mell413
05-28-2010, 03:32 PM
No.

ty_smitty21
05-28-2010, 03:35 PM
so this won't be in the back of your mind the next time Wells takes the ball in a big game? The fact that he might be throwing 86 MPH, no movement pitches right over the plate even with 2 strikes?

Kirel
05-28-2010, 03:41 PM
so this won't be in the back of your mind the next time Wells takes the ball in a big game? The fact that he might be throwing 86 MPH, no movement pitches right over the plate even with 2 strikes?
It isn't on my mind for every other pitcher in the game, even though every other pitcher has terrible stuff from time to time.

GOCUBSGO20
05-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Unfortunately, I have a feeling this will result in Wells moving to the 'pen for the time being. I feel that he is more likely to be sent to the pen over Gorzelanny because he has prior pen experience and we already have three left-handers in the pen.

redwhitenblue
05-28-2010, 03:47 PM
It isn't on my mind for every other pitcher in the game, even though every other pitcher has terrible stuff from time to time.
Ding.

Not to mention, lately our BP has been surprisingly decent.

ty_smitty21
05-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Unfortunately, I have a feeling this will result in Wells moving to the 'pen for the time being. I feel that he is more likely to be sent to the pen over Gorzelanny because he has prior pen experience and we already have three left-handers in the pen.

We don't need a wells type pitcher in the pen... we need a righty that can throw gas. Cashner is going to be called up next week to try and fill that role. Gorzelanny has been bad in 2 of his last 3 outings as well... he will also be headed to the pen.

redwhitenblue
05-28-2010, 04:34 PM
We don't need a wells type pitcher in the pen... we need a righty that can throw gas. Cashner is going to be called up next week to try and fill that role. Gorzelanny has been bad in 2 of his last 3 outings as well... he will also be headed to the pen.
So now we're going to take any slumping starter and make him our new BP arm?

Great. The Cubs have taken their usual overreaction to "slumping" positional players and put it onto the pitchers as well. That's a recipe for failure.

KOENIG
05-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Why not platoon Wells and Gorzelanny in the rotation? Look at the upcoming games and tell one or the other when they'll start. Have the other one get his between starts work out of the bullpen.

ty_smitty21
05-28-2010, 05:12 PM
So now we're going to take any slumping starter and make him our new BP arm?

Great. The Cubs have taken their usual overreaction to "slumping" positional players and put it onto the pitchers as well. That's a recipe for failure.

Gorz was a longshot to even make the rotation this year... He was even MORE of a long-shot to stay in the rotation when Lilly got back. He's had a good year.. but realistically, he's our worst starter. Z is going to do fine when he gets back in the rotation.

They moved Cashner to the pen in Iowa... it makes sense that Gorz will be the one going to the pen along with Cashner next week.

I didn't say he should go there just because he's slumping... I was responding to another poster who thought Wells would get sent to the pen because of today's start.

Mell413
05-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Gorz is not our worst starter. I still say that Silva takes that title. Not that he's pitched bad. No one in the rotation has, but I still think Silva is the worst guy.

Cubby
05-28-2010, 09:12 PM
^Yes but his record is 6-0. We keep winning when he's on the bump. You have to keep him there until he starts going backwards.

semperfi
05-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Gorz is not our worst starter. I still say that Silva takes that title. Not that he's pitched bad. No one in the rotation has, but I still think Silva is the worst guy.

I'll take Silva over Gorzelanny any day of the week. Not to mention you don't take a pitcher out of the rotation that hasn't lost a single game.

majestic
05-28-2010, 10:14 PM
any chance he is tippin his pitches? today was brutal..

writ42
05-28-2010, 10:59 PM
There is no need to worry about Wells or move him to the bullpen. By moving him to the bullpen you will only hurt his confidence more, which is exactly what we don't need. He'll be fine as a starter for the rest of the season, everyone has their off-days.

Jilly Bohnson
05-28-2010, 11:23 PM
You realize he just kicked the Rangers' ***** in Arlington not even a week ago right? The timing of this one could not have sucked worse, but what can you do? He's been awesome this year.

TrialNError04
05-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Completely off-topic, I knkow, but any chance the team designates Grabow after two more earned runs or do they keep him and demote Russell?

Solid Snake
05-28-2010, 11:48 PM
Completely off-topic, I knkow, but any chance the team designates Grabow after two more earned runs or do they keep him and demote Russell?

Yea, this Grabow signing is wearing on me. I hated it when they signed the deal, so this isnt second-guessing or I told ya so. It was a horrible way to spend 7 million dollars, and it's moves like that that keep Hendry around the middle of the pack as far as ranking the GM's. He's still a pretty decent talent evaluator, something the stats nerds at FanGraphs don't give him enough credit for.

But he strikes out alot by spending lots of money on replacement level to below replacement level relievers and utilitymen.

ty_smitty21
05-29-2010, 01:12 AM
Yea, this Grabow signing is wearing on me. I hated it when they signed the deal, so this isnt second-guessing or I told ya so. It was a horrible way to spend 7 million dollars, and it's moves like that that keep Hendry around the middle of the pack as far as ranking the GM's. He's still a pretty decent talent evaluator, something the stats nerds at FanGraphs don't give him enough credit for.

But he strikes out alot by spending lots of money on replacement level to below replacement level relievers and utilitymen.

All of Hendry's moves are either great, or terrible. For instance this year: Silva and Byrd.. great.. Grabow... terrible. It goes back for all of his years that way too.

If you take Grabow's stats out of the equation, the Cubs bullpen has a slightly better than league average bullpen ERA. Grablow has got to go.