PDA

View Full Version : Should players be suspended due to accumulating technical fouls in the play-offs?

CB29
05-27-2010, 08:09 PM
By now i'm sure you all know about the Kendrick Perkins situation. I was just thinking that its kind of sucks that a player can get suspended if they pick up 7 technicals in the play-offs... There's a couple of reasons that i think this.

1) Players are emotionally vested into the game. Their emotions can often get loose and they may be called for the odd technical. This does not necessarily mean that they are trying to make a dirty play or are a loose cannon. This especially should not matter as if a player is playing dirty the nba has the right to suspend a player. So if one argues that a player who has 7 technicals is a "loose cannon" or is a dirty player well then the NBA can suspend them for their actions.

2) 7 technicals take time to accumulate. It doesn't just happen in a series. Usually if a player is on the verge of their seventh technical, then its probably the Conference final or the NBA finals and that can seriously hurt a team's chances of winning and somewhat make a series less interesting.

3) If you still want some kind of penalty then you should make it a large amount of salary as a fine. Maybe like 20%. Player makes 5 million, then loses 1 million.

4) It's not a flagrant foul. Flagrant fouls are more violent acts that can hurt another player. Generally, technical fouls are outbursts towards referees or perhaps a light elbow or shove. I understand that they can take away from the integrity of refs but they have a penalty in terms of the game so really 7 extra free throws should not carry equal weight as a one game suspension in a crucial game in the playoffs.

So what do you think? Agree? Disagree?

Raph12
05-27-2010, 08:29 PM
7 techs for a potential 28 games (four 7-gm series) is more than enough.

JNA17
05-27-2010, 08:40 PM

this

RadiantShot
05-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Yes.....If there weren't suspensions for technical fouls, players would be racking em' up like it was candy on Halloween.

SteveNash
05-27-2010, 08:56 PM
It should be based on how far you go.

Why should someone on a garbage team about that will get swept in the first round be allowed the same number of techs and flagrants as a player who makes it to the finals?

RadiantShot
05-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Sorry Steve, but we're all equal in this league.

Super.
05-27-2010, 09:01 PM
While i think 7 is more than enough

The fact that Perkins received two and Dwight not getting ANY is what really upsets me.

CB29
05-27-2010, 09:10 PM

but how many teams would go 7 games 4 times.... its just you know the playoffs are more intense and i think that if the nba feels that the player is deserving then he should be suspended... it shouldn't just be 7 techs and you're banned

JasonJohnHorn
05-27-2010, 09:11 PM
I dont think there is an issue with suspending people for accumulated techs, but i do think there is a HUGE problem with the consistency of techs handed out. Guys like Perkins, or mid-level talent guys and bench players get techs way more often and for far less than guys like Bryant, James and Wade. Players should get the same treatment regardless of the names on their jersey. Once they get that worked out... go ahead with the suspencions.

jetsfan28
05-27-2010, 09:12 PM

Why should someone on a garbage team about that will get swept in the first round be allowed the same number of techs and flagrants as a player who makes it to the finals?

I mean, I guess they could give you two per series, but that would be way too low, get a double tech in game 1 and you need to pretty much sprint away from conflict for the rest of the series.

RadiantShot
05-27-2010, 09:15 PM
I dont think there is an issue with suspending people for accumulated techs, but i do think there is a HUGE problem with the consistency of techs handed out. Guys like Perkins, or mid-level talent guys and bench players get techs was more often and for far less than guys like Bryant, James and Wade. Players should get the same treatment regardless of the names on their jersey. Once they get that worked out... go ahead with the suspencions.

..Perkins mouthed off, and flapped his arms, and got a technical foul. That's all there is to it. I've seen Tim Duncan get thrown out from sitting on the bench. That was a lot less likely, than getting a technical from cussing at the refs. It does state, in another forum (In which ManRam quoted) the NBA rules for a technical, which include profanity towards a ref, or misbehavior.

Just saying, there's not much protecting him in this scenario. I did think the technical was wrongfully called, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kobe got called for the same thing. He has before. LeBron too.

jetsfan28
05-27-2010, 09:19 PM
To me, the problem is (and I've been saying this long before yesterday) that officials feel every minor conflict needs to be solved with a double technical. First of all, most of the time, a no call would make more sense. Second of all, it's equal punishment when the actions normally aren't equal. And third, it basically rewards teams for having ****** players try to get in scuffles with better players, the kind of thing the NBA has tried for years to stop.

The rule isn't the problem, the handing out of the T's is.

hugepatsfan
05-28-2010, 12:11 AM
It's the double techs that are the problem. The isiot refs call them for no reason. Plus you have attention whores like Joey Crwaford who call them to just get recognized.

69centers
05-28-2010, 12:28 AM
They should be per series. You accumulate x amount in that series, and you can get a suspension in that series only. This way, teams that move on won't be penalized as they are now (the longer you are in it, the more chances you have to get suspended).

Kakaroach
05-28-2010, 12:32 AM
To me, the problem is (and I've been saying this long before yesterday) that officials feel every minor conflict needs to be solved with a double technical. First of all, most of the time, a no call would make more sense. Second of all, it's equal punishment when the actions normally aren't equal. And third, it basically rewards teams for having ****** players try to get in scuffles with better players, the kind of thing the NBA has tried for years to stop.

The rule isn't the problem, the handing out of the T's is. Yeah totally agreed. They have done a much better job this year but I think the heat of the moment just takes over some refs. I mean Perkins was yelling and screaming but he didn't face the official. I think the ref still feels like its directed to him so he calls the tech.

As for the double technicals, I think every case is different so you can't generalize those.

gcoll
05-28-2010, 12:33 AM
No. They give techs easier now. For just throwing your arms around after a call. A bunch of those should not equal a suspension.

JordansBulls
05-28-2010, 08:18 AM

I agree. However I disagree on you getting suspended in important games. If it is a game 7, I would say no, but then again in 1997 between the Knicks and Heat Ewing was suspended in game 7 and in 1998 1st round game 5 Mourning was suspended in game 5.

GrumpyOldMan
05-28-2010, 08:50 AM
If you average a technical foul every four games (minimum) you deserve the suspension. I do agree however that the refs need to be a little less sensitive about giving them out.

Anon
05-28-2010, 08:57 AM
You get 16 for the entire regular season. 7 is plenty for the playoffs.

phi2134
05-28-2010, 08:57 AM
While i think 7 is more than enough

The fact that Perkins received two and Dwight not getting ANY is what really upsets me.

I think something that relates to this quote is when you look at the attitudes of both of these players. I am neither a Celtics or Magic fan and I am not a Dwight Howard fan either, but Kendrick Perkins is probably one of the biggest complainers I have ever seen play. After receiving any foul, turn over or call that doesnt go his way, he get's this mean angry look on his face, complains and then just drops the ball or goes after the ref. I feel like because of his attitude and constant behavior he is targeted by the refs and can receive a technical a lot faster than any other player. Dwight Howard is a physical player, but also has a bit cooler head than Perkins, plus Dwight Howard being considered a superstar goes in his favor too.

phi2134
05-28-2010, 09:03 AM
You get 16 for the entire regular season. 7 is plenty for the playoffs.

x2

subroc
05-28-2010, 09:16 AM
I don't know. should a player get ejected for knocking a guys teeth out?

RaiderLakersA's
05-28-2010, 11:17 AM

Blame players like 'Sheed in his hey day for that.

DengelBerry
05-28-2010, 02:44 PM

Totally agreed.

SteveNash
05-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Sorry Steve, but we're all equal in this league.

Not really, for example, teams that have never won a championship are not equal to teams that have.

Blame players like 'Sheed in his hey day for that.

Blame should be placed on Artest.

RadiantShot
05-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Not really, for example, teams that have never won a championship are not equal to teams that have.

Blame should be placed on Artest.

Looks like Steve Nash can be placed in this category as well, if you were trying to hint something.

SteveNash
05-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Looks like Steve Nash can be placed in this category as well, if you were trying to hint something.

I think the hint is that I'm not a fan of Steve Nash. Or the Suns, although if we were to rank the loser teams that haven't won, Suns would be at the top.

RadiantShot
05-28-2010, 06:37 PM
I think the hint is that I'm not a fan of Steve Nash. Or the Suns, although if we were to rank the loser teams that haven't won, Suns would be at the top.

Really..?
Sure.
You're not a fan of Steve Nash, SteveNash.
Haha.
:laugh:

bigsams50
05-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Really..?
Sure.
Haha.

CLASSOF72
05-28-2010, 06:46 PM
The threshold should be smaller, but the fouls should have to be flagrants like 3 or 4 should get you benched and to hell with the "if it's a big game BS" If you can't contain yourself you should have to take the hit.

Niro
05-28-2010, 06:49 PM
there shouldnt be so many techs in the playoffs. i mean when like when ron ron starts beating the hell out of fans yeah but otherwise let them play with emotions

RadiantShot
05-28-2010, 06:51 PM
there shouldnt be techs in the playoffs. i mean in some cases like when ron ron starts beating the hell out of fans okay maybe a tech is okay but otherwise let them play with emotions

Disagreed.

The Final Boss
05-28-2010, 06:53 PM
yes

SteveNash
05-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Really..?
Sure.
Haha.

:laugh: Look at my post history.

The only thing positive I remember posting about Steve Nash was that he was better than AI. JB even banned me after I said I wasn't a fan of Steve Nash after he repeatedly tried to bait me by bashing Nash.

My handle is meant to be ironic dude.

RadiantShot
05-28-2010, 07:10 PM
:laugh: Look at my post history.

The only thing positive I remember posting about Steve Nash was that he was better than AI. JB even banned me after I said I wasn't a fan of Steve Nash after he repeatedly tried to bait me by bashing Nash.

My handle is meant to be ironic dude.

So, what exactly is your purpose on this forum?
Who DO you like, in the NBA, team-wise, and player-wise?

SteveNash
05-28-2010, 07:24 PM
So, what exactly is your purpose on this forum?
Who DO you like, in the NBA, team-wise, and player-wise?

Well I tend to like teams more than individual players.

Just going down the list of teams, I mostly enjoyed watching the

Celtics
Bobcats
Nuggets
Lakers
Grizzlies
Bucks
Timberwolves
Trail Blazers
Jazz

This season.

I don't enjoy watching players/teams over handling the ball. Which is why I'm not a fan of Nash.

CrotchetyOldMan
05-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Honestly 7 techs is plenty but they shouldn't count the double technicals towards the seven...If you fart in another players direction and that player scrunches his nose in detest its a double tech...it's gotten ridiculous...like perkins arm slipping off of pierce and gently touching gortats belly and gortat knocking the ball away...really a double t for that ridiculousness...gortat shouldn't have been up on perkins *** like that in the first place...trying to rub up on him when he's helping up a teammate...what was that?...either way it shouldn't have been a t on either of them...
By the way on another topic, anyone who thinks Dwight Howard has such little control of his body that he's "inadvertently" elbowing guys in the face and neck like 10 times a game really has their head way up their ***!...At some point between games 3 and 4 he spent a couple hours with Bill Laimbeer...Before anyone gets started I am NOT a celtics fan and could care less who wins the series...It would actually be real interesting to see the last sport without a 3-0 comeback go down...

RadiantShot
05-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Honestly 7 techs is plenty but they shouldn't count the double technicals towards the seven...If you fart in another players direction and that player scrunches his nose in detest its a double tech...it's gotten ridiculous...like perkins arm slipping off of pierce and gently touching gortats belly and gortat knocking the ball away...really a double t for that ridiculousness...gortat shouldn't have been up on perkins *** like that in the first place...trying to rub up on him when he's helping up a teammate...what was that?...either way it shouldn't have been a t on either of them...
By the way on another topic, anyone who thinks Dwight Howard has such little control of his body that he's "inadvertently" elbowing guys in the face and neck like 10 times a game really has their head way up their ***!...At some point between games 3 and 4 he spent a couple hours with Bill Laimbeer...Before anyone gets started I am NOT a celtics fan and could care less who wins the series...It would actually be real interesting to see the last sport without a 3-0 comeback go down...

You are definitely living under a rock if you think what he did to Big Baby Davis was intentional. He wasn't even LOOKING at Big Baby Davis. This is getting ridiculous.

CrotchetyOldMan
05-28-2010, 07:56 PM
You are definitely living under a rock if you think what he did to Big Baby Davis was intentional. He wasn't even LOOKING at Big Baby Davis. This is getting ridiculous.

I'm not necessarily saying each individual one is an attempt to blast a guys face but overall when you elbow people the number of times he does in a game, it's a pattern...He is wantonly loose with his elbows...Not saying he's malicious just purposefully careless...eventually there's gonna be a glen davis type incident the way he's playing...I know he has better body control than that, he's just choosing to let his elbows fly and land where they may...He's NEVER looking at the guy who's got his elbow buried in his neck and getting driven into the ground...If he was he'd be getting flagrants left and right...Again i don't think he's purposefully elbowing...I think he's being purposefully careless with his elbows...Kind of like if you were standing on top of a building just throwing quarters off the edge...You wouldn't mean to hit someone in the head on purpose you're just choosing to be careless...but eventually somebody's gonna have a hole in their head...

RadiantShot
05-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Dwight Howard has not been 'Purposefully Careless.' Not sure what other way to put it.

CrotchetyOldMan
05-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Dwight Howard has not been 'Purposefully Careless.' Not sure what other way to put it.

You really think that after his 100th elbow to somebody's face or neck in this playoffs...you think that Dwight Howard one of the most physically gifted athlete's in the world is just accidently burying his elbows into other players around 8 times a game...

RadiantShot
05-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Show me three elbows thrown by Dwight this season. You're COMPLETELY over-exaggerating.

Niro
05-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Disagreed.

i forgot the so many in my post, of course there should be techs:p

what i wanted to say is that they shouldnt call techs so easy like they do in the ecf

RadiantShot
05-28-2010, 08:07 PM
i forgot the so many in my post, of course there should be techs:p

what i wanted to say is that they shouldnt call techs so easy like they do in the ecf

You're forgiven. :)

CrotchetyOldMan
05-28-2010, 08:09 PM
Show me three elbows thrown by Dwight this season. You're COMPLETELY over-exaggerating.

I could show you at least 6 just from game 5 where he either "accidently" elbows someone or throws them to the ground with his armpit to the face technique while "rebounding"...I could be exaggerating since I actually didn't see him start playing that way til after his head to head with Laimbeer between games 3 and 4...so maybe it was just his 12th or 13th...:)

RadiantShot
05-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Go ahead. Show me. You won't be able to.

xBLAMEITON24x
05-28-2010, 08:21 PM
nba players need to feel the negative effects of their actions even in the playoffs.
i see no problem in suspended players for game in the playoffs the only person they can blame is themselves.