PDA

View Full Version : Cubs' Zambrano to hospital; Baker loses vision

cheerio
05-27-2010, 06:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5226999

CHICAGO -- Cubs pitcher Carlos Zambrano spent Thursday at the hospital being evaluated and treated for "appendicitis-type symptoms," manager Lou Piniella said.

Cubs medical personnel said tests for appendicitis proved negative, and the team listed him as day to day.

"He's got some pain in his ... where appendicitis is," Piniella said, pointing to his lower-right abdomen. "He was at the hospital all day."

The Cubs beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 1-0 on Thursday.

Zambrano is scheduled to return to the starting rotation during a road series in Pittsburgh, which is from May 31-June 2.

Cubs infielder Jeff Baker, who started at third base on Thursday, also experienced a physical ailment. Piniella said Baker couldn't see out of his right eye and had to be taken out of the game to be evaluated by an eye doctor.

"It was a little scary," Piniella said. "He had no vision at all out of his right eye."

"We had to get him out of there."

Baker was lifted in the eighth inning after he didn't even make a move on a ball hit to his left.

Ron!n
05-27-2010, 06:45 PM
I thought this was an Onion article or something. Scary stuff.

cheerio
05-27-2010, 06:51 PM
i wouldn't post anything that crazy

Tehjosha
05-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Wow. Let's hope both of them are alright.

Chicago657
05-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Vision losses are some of the scariest potential injuries. Nobody wants to lose vision. At least a fractured wrist can simply heal. I don't wanna **** with eyes. Who was it that had a vision issue in one of the past couple years? Ramirez? Maybe Murton or Lee?

Yagyu+
05-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Vision losses are some of the scariest potential injuries. Nobody wants to lose vision. At least a fractured wrist can simply heal. I don't wanna **** with eyes. Who was it that had a vision issue in one of the past couple years? Ramirez? Maybe Murton or Lee?

Lee's daughter.

CubsRule08
05-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Lee's daughter.

I think he meant a Cubs player, because this happened to someone else within the last couple of years

EDIT: Wasnt it DeRo that it happened to?

semperfi
05-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Well I think the rotation just worked itself out.

Cubby
05-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Baker could have been killed (not really, but maybe) if it was going towards his head at a very fast pace and plunked him in the head. That's scary as ****.

zambo4president
05-27-2010, 10:49 PM
Yeah I was just thinking good thing for Baker someone didn't rip a liner and take his head off. That'd be ****in scary

Chicago657
05-28-2010, 02:25 AM
I think he meant a Cubs player, because this happened to someone else within the last couple of years

Correct! It was DeRo. Thank you.

And Lee's daughters situation sucks. I hate to see **** like that.

Ron!n
05-28-2010, 03:11 AM
Baker could have been killed (not really, but maybe) if it was going towards his head at a very fast pace and plunked him in the head. That's scary as ****.
He was almost hit? I wasnt watching at that point.

Buckcub
05-28-2010, 06:27 AM
He was almost hit? I wasnt watching at that point.

It was a couple feet away from him. At the time, I thought he had just fallen asleep or wasn't paying attention. Turns out it's a lot worse.

I was all like :mad: and :eyebrow:, now I'm all like :( and :speechless:

Ron!n
05-28-2010, 06:40 AM
It was a couple feet away from him. At the time, I thought he had just fallen asleep or wasn't paying attention. Turns out it's a lot worse.

I was all like :mad: and :eyebrow:, now I'm all like :( and :speechless:
Oh that play, yeah i remember him just standing there with his feet open. Didnt even move towards the ball.

Milnertime
05-28-2010, 08:30 AM

DeRosa had an ocular migraine, which often results in loss of vision for a short time, then once vision returns, a blinding headache.

I get them, too and they suck.

Acronym
05-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Casey Blake is making voodoo dolls of our players to get back at Lilly.

jiggin
05-28-2010, 11:15 AM
I didn't realize that z's ego was in his abdomen...

BDawk4Prez
05-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Uggla please.

poodski
05-28-2010, 11:42 AM
I wont lie. When I saw what happened from the stadium I figured Lou just now figured out he started Baker instead of Fontenot.

There was ZERO reason for Baker and Nady to be started yesterday over Colvin and Fontenot.

Jilly Bohnson
05-28-2010, 12:52 PM
I wont lie. When I saw what happened from the stadium I figured Lou just now figured out he started Baker instead of Fontenot.

There was ZERO reason for Baker and Nady to be started yesterday over Colvin and Fontenot.

Ely has reverse splits, and Fontenot was banged up from the HBP the night before.

windycityD
05-28-2010, 02:20 PM
We have three guys on the active roster now who can't really play, all this going into the Cards series. Great.

CubbieSteve
05-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Too bad I didn't lose my vision before today's game