PDA

View Full Version : Is the Summer of 2010 talk hurting the Legacy of these Free Agents?

ko8e24
05-27-2010, 05:25 PM
When you look back at the careers of certain players, they are defined by certain things. For instance, guys like Shaq, Duncan and Kobe will be known as multiple time NBA Championships who put their franchises on the map for well over a decade. Duncan will be known as a CLASS A guy who made the Spurs, a team in a small market like San Antonio, relevant in the framework of NBA galore. Shaq and Kobe will always be together known as bitter rivals who couldn't get along and perhaps lost a few chances of winning more titles together. They will be looked upon as positively and negatively.

And then you have guys like D-Wade, LeBron, Bosh, Amare, Boozer and Joe Johnson. LeBron has been a HS phenom and a 2x MVP. D-Wade is a 1x champion and finals mvp, Bosh has made a big name for himself with the Raptors, Boozer has helped the Jazz stay respectable along w/ D-Will in the post-malone/stockton era, and Joe Johnson has become a rising star. And Amare along w/ Nash has made the Suns a West powerhouse.

But to me, 10 yrs from now, these guys will be known as "Oh, those were the guys that were part of that 2010 exciting offseason". We have these reports that all these guys are willing to talk to each other and see what the other one does. But I think that up to this point, this 2010 offseason has been what has defined these guys for most of their career, especially with the last 3+ yrs of speculation about all of this (Since the 2007season, everyone started talking about SUmmer of 2010). These guys are not going to be known as putting their franchises on the maps by winning a championship (D-Wade won a title yes, but Heat have been so horrible last 4 yrs it never even seemed like the Heat were ever a championship contending team in recent memory. It was a team that had the right amt of vets and clicked at the right time). I think up to this point of each guy's respective career, they will be known as the "2010 GUYS", and I think all these reports and the 3+ yrs of speculation and all of that has actually hurt each guy's legacy, because for almost half of their careers, they've been talked about in the breath of "2010 free agency".

What are your guys' thoughts on how this 2010 free agency speculation has affected each guys' career?

ko8e24
05-27-2010, 05:34 PM
OH btw, this is not a free agency speculation thread or a comparisons thread or anything or that sort, this is the perception of fans on "how" these guys have been connected to this free agency talk for almost half of their NBA careers.

heattiltheend94
05-27-2010, 05:47 PM
I agree, but everyone you mentioned (besides Boozer) is young, and has a long career ahead of them. They still have time to prove themselves (LeBron and Wade have already proved themselves in my opinion)

td0tsfinest
05-27-2010, 05:54 PM
what's with these "Legacy Hurting" threads?

I think with the talk of Lebron, Wade and Bosh, it is hurting some of the lesser known free agents that could still end up making an impact on a teams.

Guys like Brendon Haywood (UFA), Anthony Morrow(RFA), Luis Scola(RFA), Travis Outlaw(UFA) are free agents that could be key pieces to some playoff teams but are rarely being talked about.

LTS
05-27-2010, 07:15 PM
I think who ever follows Lebron unless its wade will lose in chace of having a legacy and if Lebron or Wade (I belive johnson will leave) choose to stay they will retire with thre original team and be considered a classy guy. BUt same time maybe Lebron will never be able to earn that title because he acts like a diva and hsowed such disloaylty to CLE while he was still signed

soonabooma
05-27-2010, 11:25 PM
They're all clowns. They don't respect anything but themselves, and it's gonna be funny when they continue to get their butts kicked by teams like LA, Boston, and Orlando, as well as new bloods like OKC. They think they're really cool, but I guarantee you....their peers are gonna lose respect for them becuz they go out of their way to make a production out of everything, and people don't respect that. Lebron has become a total clown, and now all the other guys are trying to follow his lead. :facepalm:

Showmeyourtds
05-28-2010, 12:02 AM
I would love nothing more than Lebron to go to a team and have them be a lottery team. I think the Knicks would be a horrible situation for him but knowing Lebron his ultimate goal is to be a world figure not a championship winner. I don't think it will tarnish the way they will be remembered but I think it takes away from what they've done if they rig together a nba 2k roster by taking less money but I would be really impressed with any player willing to take a paycut because it almost never happens.

USMCLaker
05-30-2010, 05:34 AM
Personally, I don't think so. They should be able to do what they want just like ownership.

PrettyBoyJ
05-30-2010, 07:41 AM
I think the whole FA thing is jus something sports reporter and the media are hyping up because it was so anticipated, once they sign to their contracts the talk is gonna be what team missed out and if those teams made the right move and if they're gonna win a ring.. As far as this FA class go this will always be part of there legacy but I dont think it will hurt them cuz its not that big of a deal..

blastmasta26
05-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Legacy? Those guys have almost a decade of play left before they finish their careers.

Mochalman
05-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Legacy? Those guys have almost a decade of play left before they finish their careers.

exactly. the only one that has any kind of legacy right now is DWade with his one ring.

Dieselpi
05-30-2010, 11:57 AM
who cares? its too early to tell
so much can happen, some of these guys will go on to play another 10-15 years

and wherever they go they can create a legacy in that town

Reversed86Curse
05-30-2010, 12:17 PM
All of this 2010 FA talk is overrated IMO. In July we'll find out who's in it to win and who's in it for money

The[chi][town]
05-30-2010, 12:33 PM
who cares about legacy's

win games

win series

win championships
=
becoming a legend

no ones going to care who went to what team or what was going on in the summer of 2010 when 10+ years from now some of these players have championship rings. everyone will just say 'oh look they couldnt get it done on one team, they switched it up and look how it payed off'

DenButsu
05-30-2010, 08:59 PM
For any of them that win rings, none of this will matter.

For those that don't, their legacy will be about why they didn't. And I guess this could be a short chapter in that story. But at the end of the day, it still will mostly be about what they left on the basketball court.

The Final Boss
05-30-2010, 09:35 PM
To be honest if these guys never played again in their lives, not one of them would have left a legacy.

FarOutIos
05-30-2010, 10:20 PM
To be honest if these guys never played again in their lives, not one of them would have left a legacy.

I don't know if legacy is the right word to use... but whichever way you put it, I disagree. If Lebron were to never play another game in his life- he would definitely leave an imprint and forever be etched in history as potentially the greatest player to ever play the game. He has unlimited potential. When the outcome is unknown, you can only imagine as to the vastness of the greatness.

Look at a player like Len Bias... we always refer to him in a positive light and wonder at how great he could have been. His name is still remembered, yet he never earned a legacy in the nba.

The only thing that can really limit his "legacy" is mediocrity. Perhaps, not winning championships. Which is why Lebron and others are trying to put themselves in the best positions to win. We cannot fault them for trying to achieve this goal, just as the masses do not diminish Kobe or Jordan for what they have accomplished.

Do you think that either Kobe or Jordan would have won the title if they had Lebron's supporting cast...? How about if Lebron swithched places with Kobe right now... Lebron with Pau, Lamar, Artest, etc... How would they fare?

It is not the fault of the listed players that they were drafted by teams that do not have the luxuries of that the other players enjoyed.

I think it would be fun to watch the free agents team up on ONE team and dominate the Celtics and Lakers for a few years... but thats just me. And that's the legacy I'd enjoy watching.