PDA

View Full Version : Wold LeBron's legacy be hurt if he does not stay with Cleveland?

RaysFan
05-27-2010, 09:32 AM
What do you think? He would have spent 7 years with the franchise that drafted him. He is essentially the captain of the ship that is docked in his home-town. If he jumps ship without winning even 1 game in the NBA Finals, will that forever damage his legacy? Now he will still go down as an All-Time great, but would the failure in Cleveland ultimately prevent him from ever passing Bill Russell and Michael Jordan?

I think it would tarnish his legacy by a little bit. I think that is something that is weighing heavily on his mind. The media, more or less, has given him a pass and blamed EVERYTHING on the Cavalier organization, but the historians of the game understand what it means to be a leader of a team.

DengelBerry
05-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Yes because he promised the whole state of Ohio that he would win them a Championship and would stop until he did. They are the only team that can give him the most money too, so with that being said he stay with the Cavs and do what he promised them.

NYtilIdie
05-27-2010, 09:48 AM
If he wins a championship elsewhere it'll be like he never even played in Cleveland

RadiantShot
05-27-2010, 09:48 AM
He wants to win a Championship, and clearly, he's wasting his time in Cleveland, looking for one. It's harsh, but it's true. Until LeBron pairs up with another dominant force, he won't be able to get a Championship. Shaq wasn't enough. Mo isn't enough. None of those guys are enough to help him win. I think he's getting tired of waiting. You can't expect someone to play their whole career for one team, when they're not getting anywhere. He's had two or three phenomenal seasons, and has turned Cleveland around, but he hasn't been able to win the whole thing, so that's the problem.

RipVW
05-27-2010, 09:56 AM
If he wins a championship elsewhere it'll be like he never even played in Cleveland

This.

See Shaquille O'Neal

Sly Guy
05-27-2010, 09:58 AM

this. He's young enough to still play the majority of his career somewhere else.

Raoul Duke
05-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Not a bit.

Personally, I see no problem with him leaving if that's what he thinks is the smartest move. If he were to get injured or if he just fell off and wasn't the same player, how much loyalty would his organization show him then?

TheWatcher34
05-27-2010, 10:08 AM
1) apparently no one of the big free agents wants go to join him in CLE. (which would be
necessary for him to finally win)

2) what NYtilIdie said

3) in the end it comes down to what the meida and cooperate sponsorships makes out
of LeBron, and he has always had talents for selling his name. a championship or two
surely would help.

JNA17
05-27-2010, 10:31 AM
if he won a title elsewhere, no way.

Hawkeye15
05-27-2010, 10:36 AM
nope. It would be hurt by staying. Cleveland doesn't have the means or brainpower to give him the talent to win a ring. So he would go ringless for the forseeable future. At this point, his numbers are locking him into the top 10 AT LEAST down the line. Now he needs to start getting some rings. That can't be done in Cleveland in any form for some time.

tr4shb0t
05-27-2010, 10:41 AM
There has to be a legacy before it can get hurt.

prodigy
05-27-2010, 10:47 AM
1) apparently no one of the big free agents wants go to join him in CLE. (which would be necessary for him to finally win)

Well thats up to Lebron. When he talks people listen. I believe the Cavs could get Johnson in a sign and trade. I talked about it in another topic.

The Hawks would do it because they could get some expirings and a choice of a couple young players like Green, Bobbie, Powe etc... Joe would do it because it would land him more money.

Giaps
05-27-2010, 10:50 AM
This.

prodigy
05-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Not a bit.

Personally, I see no problem with him leaving if that's what he thinks is the smartest move. If he were to get injured or if he just fell off and wasn't the same player, how much loyalty would his organization show him then?

Great point. The Cavs fans and organization would still love him. Lebron is Cleveland, He is Ohio. Blue collar kid who grew up to be a great player. But you put him in NY, Chicago or LA. omg the media would kill him. They would stalk his family etc.... Thats what they do.

Sixerlover
05-27-2010, 11:19 AM
It wouldn't be hurt, but he'll have to win fast wherever he goes.

RaiderLakersA's
05-27-2010, 11:22 AM
What do you think? He would have spent 7 years with the franchise that drafted him. He is essentially the captain of the ship that is docked in his home-town. If he jumps ship without winning even 1 game in the NBA Finals, will that forever damage his legacy? Now he will still go down as an All-Time great, but would the failure in Cleveland ultimately prevent him from ever passing Bill Russell and Michael Jordan?

I think it would tarnish his legacy by a little bit. I think that is something that is weighing heavily on his mind. The media, more or less, has given him a pass and blamed EVERYTHING on the Cavalier organization, but the historians of the game understand what it means to be a leader of a team.

Did Shaq tarnish his legacy when he left Orlando?

And the argument can be made that what LeBron achieved in Cleveland wasn't much of a legacy to begin with...not when you compare it to the other great players in the league historically.

LeBron is only 25. His legacy is yet to be written.

shep33
05-27-2010, 11:31 AM
There was a good discussion on Jim Rome yesterday... he was talking about how Cleveland was too nice of a city. It's almost as if it was okay for LBJ to fail with them, just as long as he stayed. So what this one writer on his show was suggesting is that he needs to go to NY, Chicago, etc. where writers and fans will tear him up if he underachieves... its kind of an interesting thought.

boolish
05-27-2010, 11:39 AM
no CLE will be long forgotten by the time his career is over. he will be measured by how many rings he is wearing.

CowboysKB24
05-27-2010, 11:47 AM
It all depends if he wins when he leave Cleveland. If he leaves and wins, than it was the best move of his career. If he doesn't win than yes, there will be debates on what would have happened if he stayed there. He is leaving a team that won the most games two years straight.

mizo21
05-27-2010, 11:50 AM
Chuck wasnt from Phili but it didnt hurt him and I think he'll get as many rings as him

jackdawson
05-27-2010, 12:04 PM
without a doubt. Shaquille O'neal would be considered the greatest laker of all time if he stayed there for rest of his career.

beasted86
05-27-2010, 12:24 PM
There has to be a legacy before it can get hurt.

:clap:

JordansBulls
05-27-2010, 12:52 PM

I always felt that winning with an organization that has never won anything enhances your legacy more so.

Examples:

Mikan with the Lakers in the 50's.
Russell with the Celtics in the 60's.
MJ with the Bulls in the 90's
Isiah with the Pistons in the late 80's
Hakeem with the Rockets in the mid 90's.

To me that means more than other guys who go to winning organizations from the get go and win. It basically means the guys above turned losing organizations into champions on multiple occassions.

JNA17
05-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Great point. The Cavs fans and organization would still love him.

Even if he leaves? :eyebrow:

znick21
05-27-2010, 01:02 PM
I always felt that winning with an organization that has never won anything enhances your legacy more so.

Examples:

To me that means more than other guys who go to winning organizations from the get go and win. It basically means the guys above turned losing organizations into champions on multiple occassions.

i couldn't agree more. winning a championship for his hometown city that hasn't won anything since 1964 would be the best possible thing he could do for his legacy.

LTS
05-27-2010, 01:11 PM
I think it will show disloyalty but if he wins he still has a legacy just not as good of one as if he had one on his own in CLE

magicdouglas
05-27-2010, 01:11 PM
OMG another lebron thread lol

His legacy is not being able to win the big one. Oh and being a one man team.

Raoul Duke
05-27-2010, 01:40 PM

Examples:

That's a great point, but it's the same case for Pau Gasol, Shaq, and KG. It hasn't hurt any of their legacies, and I don't think most fans (other than T-Wolves fans) would've blamed KG had he left earlier.

The fact that James has such deep ties to Ohio makes it a little different, but not much. Thirty years from now, no one will remember how much money he made, nor will they care where he played. He needs hardware.

hugepatsfan
05-27-2010, 01:42 PM
It would help his legacy more if he won in CLE. But it doesn's hurt it if he wins elsewhere.

JordansBulls
05-27-2010, 02:26 PM
That's a great point, but it's the same case for Pau Gasol, Shaq, and KG. It hasn't hurt any of their legacies, and I don't think most fans (other than T-Wolves fans) would've blamed KG had he left earlier.

The fact that James has such deep ties to Ohio makes it a little different, but not much. Thirty years from now, no one will remember how much money he made, nor will they care where he played. He needs hardware.

It doesn't hurt them, but it doesn't help them in comparisons among guys who turned franchises that never won anything into multiple time champions.

prodigy
05-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Even if he leaves? :eyebrow:

Of course not, he would've stabbed us in the back. But if he plays for us and suffers a bad injury or what not, Cleveland fans would always have his back. unlike other places that would just throw him out and get someone else.

TopsyTurvy
05-27-2010, 03:18 PM
without a doubt. Shaquille O'neal would be considered the greatest laker of all time if he stayed there for rest of his career.

Don't want to derail the thread but Shaq wasn't even the most dominant big in franchise history. No disrespect to Shaq or what he accomplished with LA, but he's not Kareem.

Lebron does not tarnish his legacy by leaving Cleveland -- if anything, his move will start a new legacy somewhere else.

Raph12
05-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Definitely, he said he wouldn't leave Cleveland without delivering them a championship, it would just be another thing he lied about.

Bruno
05-27-2010, 04:15 PM
No, see Shaq.

still1ballin
05-27-2010, 04:24 PM
It is always nice to have a player stay with one team for his entire career like Dirk, Kobe, Duncan

Raph12
05-27-2010, 04:40 PM
It is always nice to have a player stay with one team for his entire career like Dirk, Kobe, Duncan

Dirk says he wants to opt out of his contract this season.

MaHaRaJaH
05-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Cleveland would just making excuses to hate Lebron because they had the best NBA player and couldn't win a thing.

heathonater
05-27-2010, 05:10 PM
i think lebron's legacy would be hurt even more if he left cleveland and never won a title. he would have left his homestate and joined another team because he felt that cleveland couldn't get the players necessary to win the title. if he joins new york or chicago with another star and doesnt win a title, his legacy would be severely tarnished.

Raph12
05-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Cleveland would just making excuses to hate Lebron because they had the best NBA player and couldn't win a thing.

Yeah it had nothing to do with Lebrons 15pt 3-14 shooting game in a pivotal Game 5 or his poor shooting ability and ineffectiveness off-ball... :rolleyes:

td0tsfinest
05-27-2010, 05:48 PM
See I don't think it will. Just look at the Great One. I know its a different sport but Wayne Gretzky ended up playing for the Oilers, Kings, Blues and Rangers over his illustrious career. But despite playing for numerous teams, he still regarded as the greatest hockey player of all time.

I don't see why it would be any different for Lebron. The great thing for Lebron is, he didn't win a title in Cleveland when he "left".