PDA

View Full Version : Congress not pursuing perjury in Sosa's steroid testimony

turnaround3
05-27-2010, 02:39 AM
washington -- sammy sosa will not face a perjury investigation for his remarks to congress about performance-enhancing drugs.

The house committee on oversight and government reform said wednesday the panel has decided not to have the justice department look into whether sosa lied at a march 2005 hearing, when the longtime slugger stated: "i have never taken illegal performance-enhancing drugs."

last june, the chairman of the committee said he would look into the matter after sosa's name was reported to be on a list of baseball players who allegedly failed drug tests in 2003.

"after a review of the matter, we will not be taking any action," committee spokeswoman jenny thalheimer rosenberg said.

Rosenberg had no further comment, but the committee might have been influenced by a five-year statute of limitations in such perjury cases. Under that time limit, the deadline to press charges expired in march.

sosa therefore avoids the type of perjury investigation currently surrounding roger clemens, who told congress in 2008 that he had not used steroids or human growth hormone. Clemens' testimony was contradicted by his former personal trainer, and a grand jury has been hearing evidence for more than a year as it decides whether to indict the seven-time cy young award winner.

Sosa, who hit 609 home runs over 18 major league seasons, was part of one of the most infamous sports-related congressional hearings on march 17, 2005, when he testified alongside mark mcgwire, jose canseco and rafael palmeiro.

"everything i have heard about steroids and human growth hormones is that they are very bad for you, even lethal," sosa said in his prepared testimony that day. "i would never put anything dangerous like that in my body."

"to be clear," he added, "i have never taken illegal performance-enhancing drugs. I have never injected myself or had anyone inject me with anything. "

- espn

croce_99
05-27-2010, 02:45 AM
Is this really an article from ESPN?

I'm not one to make fun of others when it comes to capitalization or grammar....but man...if this is really from a journalist, that is horrible.

Edit- Just found the article on ESPN and everything that should be capitalized is capitalized there. Hmm

semperfi
05-27-2010, 07:32 AM
I have never injected myself or had anyone inject me with anything.

Did you use the cream Sammy?

BDawk4Prez
05-27-2010, 10:04 AM
I knew Slammin Sammy was all-natural!!!

Jilly Bohnson
05-27-2010, 12:34 PM
I still love how there's nothing against Sammy except for he got bigger, yet he's one of the guys that it's just taken for granted that he took them. Do I think he took them? Of course I do, but it's hardly a McGwire/Bonds/A-rod situation where we actually have legit evidence of it.

jiggin
05-27-2010, 12:51 PM
whew....I can sleep at night now.

Marlin Bystro
05-27-2010, 01:02 PM
I still love how there's nothing against Sammy except for he got bigger, yet he's one of the guys that it's just taken for granted that he took them. Do I think he took them? Of course I do, but it's hardly a McGwire/Bonds/A-rod situation where we actually have legit evidence of it.

Well he was on that list of 95 or whatever it was so I wouldn't say there's nothing.

redwhitenblue
05-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Well he was on that list of 95 or whatever it was so I wouldn't say there's nothing.
Supposedly.

That list has yet to actually find a public eye.

Jilly Bohnson
05-27-2010, 01:10 PM

Was he? I thought he was on the fake one that leaked and had like Pujols and others on it but not the real one. Do you have a link?

StrandedCub
05-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Was he? I thought he was on the fake one that leaked and had like Pujols and others on it but not the real one. Do you have a link?

NEW YORK -- Sammy Sosa tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug in 2003, The New York Times reported Tuesday on its Web site, the latest in a string of baseball stars implicated in the sport's steroids scandal of the past decade.

The Times said Sosa is one of 104 players who tested positive in baseball's anonymous 2003 survey, which has been the subject of a protracted court fight. The paper did not identify the drug.

It cited lawyers with knowledge of the 2003 drug-testing results and reported they spoke on condition of anonymity because they did not want to publicly discuss material under court seal.

The rest of the article is here...

ESPN: Sosa Tested Positive? (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4264062)

redwhitenblue
05-27-2010, 01:18 PM

ESPN: Sosa Tested Positive? (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4264062)
A few things you have to consider.

A) The test was anonymous, as in it wasn't recorded who gave what sample.
B) There were no repercussions for the test, so how does anyone know who tested positive.
C) This "list" was never released, it was solely mentioned by "lawyers speaking on the condition of anonymity"

I can be about as credible as the NYT was with this.

Jilly Bohnson
05-27-2010, 01:19 PM

Oh yeah, that's right. I mean it's hard to take at face value when there's not really any proof, basically they go "Oh yeah, we talked to a lawyer, so it's legit." But yeah, I had totally forgotten about this.

StrandedCub
05-27-2010, 01:27 PM
A few things you have to consider.

A) The test was anonymous, as in it wasn't recorded who gave what sample.
B) There were no repercussions for the test, so how does anyone know who tested positive.
C) This "list" was never released, it was solely mentioned by "lawyers speaking on the condition of anonymity"

I can be about as credible as the NYT was with this.

Oh yeah I agree completely... I was just showing what Marlin Bystro was talking about.

Marlin Bystro
05-27-2010, 01:32 PM
If it smells like a rat.....

redwhitenblue
05-27-2010, 01:35 PM
It could be a mouse that just naturally is bigger.

Don't be dumb. If you go by the "if it smells like a rat" form, then go grab a picture of young Marlon Byrd and start calling him a roider too.

Jilly Bohnson

Here's the thing with the steroids era though. You either have to assume everyone did them, or you have to go with an innocent until proven guilty approach. The problem comes when people go "Oh Sosa definitely used steroids, he's disgracing the game unlike Greg Maddux." When we have no way of knowing if Maddux used them or not. Not saying you're in this camp, but the majority of fans and media employ a double standard on this issue. Not even mentioning how the NFL gets a complete pass.

redwhitenblue
Here's the thing with the steroids era though. You either have to assume everyone did them, or you have to go with an innocent until proven guilty approach. The problem comes when people go "Oh Sosa definitely used steroids, he's disgracing the game unlike Greg Maddux." When we have no way of knowing if Maddux used them or not. Not saying you're in this camp, but the majority of fans and media employ a double standard on this issue. Not even mentioning how the NFL gets a complete pass.
It is pretty convenient that Maddux seemed to never get injured.

Marlin Bystro
05-27-2010, 01:38 PM

Agreed on the NFL...Not sure why people don't care about that.

I wouldn't assume everyone did steroids in baseball, but I honestly would think that 50-60 percent of players at least dabbled in it. Some were obviously better chemists than others.

The only guy I'm sure didn't is Mark Grace since he didn't want to mess with his sex life, which from all indications, was pretty ridiculous.....Just ask Sandra Bullock about him.

Jilly Bohnson
05-27-2010, 01:38 PM
It is pretty convenient that Maddux seemed to never get injured.

:nod:

Jilly Bohnson
05-27-2010, 01:40 PM

I wouldn't assume everyone did steroids in baseball, but I honestly would think that 50-60 percent of players at least dabbled in it. Some were obviously better chemists than others.

The only guy I'm sure didn't is Mark Grace since he didn't want to mess with his sex life, which from all indications, was pretty ridiculous.....Just ask Sandra Bullock about him.

I agree that that's probably about how many did them, I just think since there's no way of knowing the best way to go about it is an all or none type approach.

And that's a good point on Grace, I never thought about that :laugh2:

Ron!n
05-27-2010, 01:48 PM

:laugh:

Thats hilarious.

I totally agree with you Jilly. Out of the big guys (Bonds, Ortiz, A-Rod, McGwire) Sammy is the one with the least amount of evidence against him. Canseco never fingered him and he wasnt in the Mitchell report. Yet it seems hes the poster boy for steroid abuse.

I mean, was Sammy that much smarter than all of them? Not saying that he definitely didnt do them, but its just funny/interesting how hes the one with the least amount of evidence.

Also am I the only one that thinks that Frank Thomas saying he hates people who use steroids doesnt take him off the hook?

Marlin Bystro
05-27-2010, 02:09 PM
:laugh:

Thats hilarious.

I totally agree with you Jilly. Out of the big guys (Bonds, Ortiz, A-Rod, McGwire) Sammy is the one with the least amount of evidence against him. Canseco never fingered him and he wasnt in the Mitchell report. Yet it seems hes the poster boy for steroid abuse.

I mean, was Sammy that much smarter than all of them? Not saying that he definitely didnt do them, but its just funny/interesting how hes the one with the least amount of evidence.

Also am I the only one that thinks that Frank Thomas saying he hates people who use steroids doesnt take him off the hook?

Well Ortiz was outed by the same material that Sosa was outed with.

Ron!n
05-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Yeah but Ortiz came out and admitted it.

Marlin Bystro
05-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah but Ortiz came out and admitted it.

Doesn't that add validity to the report?

Ron!n
05-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Doesn't that add validity to the report?
Possibly, but you never know if the NYT was just making stuff up or not.

Dmac
05-27-2010, 05:08 PM

So was ARod.

writ42
05-31-2010, 11:23 PM
I for one will admit that I loved watching and rooting for Sosa, but with that said there is no way I can convince myself that the man did not take steriods just like I have a hard time believing that he had a corked bat for BP only and grabbed it by accident. Sosa has only escaped extreme public scrutiny because of guys like Bonds, Clemens and McGuire taking all the heat off of him.

In all honesty, I did not really care about steriods being in Baseball. As many people have pointed out, cheating has always been involved in Baseball, so more power to you IF you can get away with it.