PDA

View Full Version : Was Mike Brown a Good Coach?

OT Thriller
05-26-2010, 05:48 PM
On the wake of his firing, I wonder to myself if Mike Brown was actually a good coach or not. What do you think: was Mike Brown a good coach or did he hold back the Cavaliers from greater success?

Raoul Duke
05-26-2010, 05:54 PM
He was a good coach, just not a great coach.

His team needed it's best player to score 30+ppg, pull down 8+rpg, and dish out 7+apg in order for them to succeed. That alone should pretty much tell you that they had serious flaws to begin with.

Fireworld
05-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Yes he was, but I couldn't stand his mouth movements/gestures when he talked.

Melo15
05-26-2010, 05:57 PM
I would say he is an average coach. He is a very nice and like-able guy but not the best coach out there. The past two years in the playoffs he was outcoached by Doc Rivers and Stan Van Gundy. He is a great defensive mind but wasn't able to adjust in the 7 game series format. He is an awesome assistant coach to have but at best an average head coach.

DeyAce
05-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Just ask yourself, how good he would be without Lebron?

Raph12
05-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Is Brown a good coach, maybe, but did Brown do a good coaching job with the Cavs, no. That has a lot to do with Lebron walking all over him, LBJ had no respect for Brown and knew that mgmt would do w/e he told them to. Brown never had full control of the Cavs, Lebron wanted to do more, he wasn't satisfied doing less, a big reason why he'd still be playing 8-10mins in the 4th when the Cavs were up 15+pts... With that being said, I stilll don't think Brown could ever outcoach Doc to beat the Celts.

tredigs
05-26-2010, 06:05 PM
82games.com has a stat that follows how a team fairs the play just after a timeout is called. Cavs were among the very last or last in the league in this category year after year. As a top level team in the league, that should tell you a lot about his play calling capabilities. Seemed like a nice guy, horrible coach.

NYtilIdie
05-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Great assistant coach, but horrible head coach. He never ran plays for anyone else but Lebron which is why the Jamison experiment failed. Plus he could never keep a steady 8 man rotation.

Although he was a great defensive coach.

Kakaroach
05-26-2010, 06:08 PM
He is a pretty good defensive coach, but doesn't know anything about offense. More of a good assistant coach than head coach.

Jays Claw
05-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Mike Brown was a product of LeBron James.

RaiderLakersA's
05-26-2010, 06:14 PM
He never ran plays for anyone else but Lebron which is why the Jamison experiment failed. Plus he could never keep a steady 8 man rotation.

I distinctly recall them running plays for someone other than LeBron during the season and in the playoffs. The problem is, Jamison didn't exactly earn his stripes. He came up really small in the Celtics series.

I agree on the rotation issue, but when they were first considering bringing in Shaq, anyone with any basketball IQ predicted that it wouldn't make for the best sub rotations. There are just too many players on the Cavs that you can't have on the floor at the same time as Shaq, whether you're talking LeBron, Big Z, or whomever. It's easy to fault Brown for that, but I'd rather put the blame on the GM. They should have added Amare or someone equally athletically gifted and mobile.

jrm2054
05-26-2010, 06:14 PM
he was a bad bad bad head coach no offensive gameplan no control over his players and lebron made him look good but he sucked *** as a coach nice guy though

Korman12
05-26-2010, 06:15 PM
An average coach at best. Most of us seem to agree that his defensive philosophies weren't bad, but he struggled on the other end of the floor. My biggest problem with Brown was that he rarely ever (and I'm not sure if I did see it happen) changed his offensive schemes to handle an in-game situation better. It appeared whenever they struggled on the other end, LeBron took charge and there wasn't anything else that would change.

And if that didn't work, well, they would try the same thing over and over again until it ultimately failed like it did in Orlando series in 09' and against the Celtics.

No good team suffered more from mismatches than Cleveland - a pretty good mark of coaching inefficiency.

MU and UW Fan
05-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Nothing special. He did fine in the regular season. But when it came to the playoffs he and his team choked and he did not make the necessary adjustments to have successful results.

maddBat
05-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Just ask yourself, how good he would be without Lebron?

i think you should ask yourself.. how hasnt he won a ship with lebron? top 2 player in the league WITH a more than decent supporting cast. any average coach should win a ship.

wizardsfan3
05-26-2010, 06:24 PM
I agree with artest_kobe, mike brown is a terrible coach. If Lebron wasn't there, the Cavs would be absolutely ****

Giantwarrior
05-26-2010, 06:34 PM
NO! he only had one good play.

ISO Lebron James

JNA17
05-26-2010, 06:38 PM
is this a trick question?

COBY KARL
05-26-2010, 06:39 PM
its a tragedy that he won Coach of the year in the 08-09 season...and Sloan never won once

bkmikeyy
05-26-2010, 06:40 PM
extremely overrated... some stupid team is going to sign and overpay him based on his record and be very disappointed.

gcoll
05-26-2010, 06:40 PM
On the wake of his firing, I wonder to myself if Mike Brown was actually a good coach or not. What do you think: was Mike Brown a good coach or did he hold back the Cavaliers from greater success?

No. He was terrible.

TheKing23
05-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Defensively - Very good.

Everything else - Mediocre.

ManRam
05-26-2010, 06:47 PM
I really would be surprised if he got another head coaching job anytime soon. I'll just leave it at that.

TheWatcher34
05-26-2010, 06:50 PM
probably not, but i still believe we will see his true skills when coaching another team that doesnt have LeBron on the roster. you should have added a poll.

thescore53
05-26-2010, 06:54 PM
offensively he's a plain ******

NiTEFuRY
05-26-2010, 06:56 PM
I would take Brown over John Kuester... and a few others in the league... I absolutely would have hired him over Doug Collins.

jackdawson
05-26-2010, 07:24 PM
yes he was, but i couldn't stand his mouth movements/gestures when he talked.

THIS^^^. I love you.

thescore53
05-26-2010, 07:26 PM
lol thought i was the only one who noticed

jackdawson
05-26-2010, 07:31 PM
One thing I know for sure that LeBron never gave a **** on Brown. Brown was always scared of pissing the king off and thus losing his job. I liked his defensive schemes though (credits to pop for sure). LeBron needs a Pat Riley or Phil Jackson type coach. I don't think any other coaches could control him 100% (may be popovich and larry brown too).

Truheatfan
05-26-2010, 07:40 PM
no hes not a good coach his whole gameplan is lebron if you notice every time they win he says lebron is phenominal, lebron played outstanding and so on lebron is the reason he is relevant.

fadedmario
05-26-2010, 07:52 PM
He was and is a great coach. Lebron is to blame. He is a choke-artist.

topdog
05-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Not especially.

0nekhmer
05-26-2010, 07:54 PM
i've seen a lot of cavs games and he has done a decent job with rotations. In late game situations, He seems really hesitant and skeptical of what to do, not looking like a coach, and more like Lebron's B!tch. The cavs did have the best record, and just lost to a more championship hungry team.

CowboysKB24
05-26-2010, 08:01 PM
He did a poor job in the playoffs with Cavs. During the regular season the Cavs were great, they played great against good teams and won most of the series the past few years. Playoffs are a different story and it sometimes gets overlooked during the long season. The past two years ESPN and the media portrayed the Cavs as the favorite to win the title, but they failed twice. So it shows how different the playoffs and regular season is. It is two different types of coaching IMO. Overall, Mike Brown is an average coach who specializes in defense. He would be an elite defensive coach (assistant coach). During the playoffs he did a bad job of fixing his teams mistakes offensively against the Celtics. He didn't get his bench guys ready or change his gameplan. He has faced no adversary all year until the Celtics. He wasn't ready for it. He isn't a great coach, average coach.

CowboysKB24
05-26-2010, 08:06 PM
i've seen a lot of cavs games and he has done a decent job with rotations. In late game situations, He seems really hesitant and skeptical of what to do, not looking like a coach, and more like Lebron's B!tch. The cavs did have the best record, and just lost to a more championship hungry team.

He did a good job of that until the playoff series against the Celtics. He did a bad job of game planning the offense against the Celtic's defense. Cavs continuously had nothing change. It was get LeBron going, get LeBron going. He never got going. Cavs got destroyed. He should have found other way to score points without relying on LeBron.

The Lakers don't always win because of Kobe. Kobe needs everyone else to get going or the Lakers aren't a great team. Celtics don't always rely on Rondo. Ray, Pierce, KG and the rest get going or at least a few of them. The Cavs didn't get Jameson going early or Mo (except the last game).

ldc62
05-26-2010, 08:20 PM
His D. schemes were ok. But overall I would say hes a less than average coach.

MrFastBreak
05-26-2010, 08:27 PM
He isnt one of the game's best coaches. Sure his tenure with the Cavs was successful, but that was largely in behalf of Bron's prodigious talents. Bron, the player who's talents Mike Brown relied too much on and didnt even realize it or didnt care to regard it. When the Cavs postseason runs flamed out earlier than expected twice in a row, he was an obvious scapegoat. Im not sure if that was fair. But what I am sure of is how superior his coaching on defense was relative to offense which makes sense given his background as an assistant coach with Indiana and San Antonio.

Like I said, he might not be the coach you'd say is beyond comparison nor did/does his COTY selection call for applause, but that isnt to say the coach who takes his spot would be an upgrade over him either.

TheKing23
05-26-2010, 08:32 PM
He was and is a great coach. Lebron is to blame. He is a choke-artist.

My sarcasm detector isn't beeping, so my moron detector is going crazy.

smith&wesson
05-26-2010, 08:39 PM
NO!! he was a terrible coach. but i heard he was a good camra man before he got the coaching gig.

his defensive coaching wsnt bad. his offensive coaching was just brutal.

"PASS IT TO LEBRON" yeah thats not gonna cut it there mr brown.

ldc62
05-26-2010, 10:07 PM
NO!! he was a terrible coach. but i heard he was a good camra man before he got the coaching gig.

his defensive coaching wsnt bad. his offensive coaching was just brutal.

"PASS IT TO LEBRON" yeah thats not gonna cut it there mr brown.

Sadly passing it to Lebron might be the best option coaching option... but any coach in this league could get the Cavs to win 60 games with Lebron.

IversonIsKrazy
05-26-2010, 11:45 PM
He is not a BAD coach. Not great either. He is in between Average and Good.

Sadds The Gr8
05-27-2010, 12:11 AM
**** no. He's horrible

Jaji
05-27-2010, 12:17 AM
I think Mike Brown is a good coach but just not good for the Cavs. He seemed too interested in appeasing Lebron. We'll find out soon enough because he will get another gig, although I think he'll take next year off.

thekmp211
05-27-2010, 12:37 AM
No. He was incapable of creating an offense beyond LeBron. Jordan ran the triangle, Kobe has his variation on it, the Celtics run probably the most structured offense still playing (and in the league besides Utah)....great talent only gets you so far.

Perhaps Jamison wasn't the greatest fit and he certainly was just a bad matchup against KG, but the fact that a 20-10 pf with a jumper went silent on this team speaks volumes. I think he can succeed as a d-coordinator type a la Thibodeau.

soonabooma
05-27-2010, 01:00 AM
I'll just put it this way........if it wasn't for Lebron, Brown would have been washing cars or working at a freaking Wal-Mart. That's about how good of a coach he was. He proved that he didn't know how to actually coach. It takes a heck of a lot more than "Lebron, go play" to have any REAL success. You think Phil Jackson uses the "Kobe, go play" strategy? Hell no, he actually coaches, he incorporates everybody, he brings out the best in his players, he understands how to utilize players strengths and mask their weaknesses, he knows offense AND defense, and most importantly, he knows how to make the necessary adjustments that a head coach should know how to make. And there are plenty of other coaches that know how to do that. The Cavs once again had the best record in the league, and had back to back 60 win seasons but got dumped on when it really mattered. So either Brown was a good coach and they were just unlucky, or he simply had the most freakish player in the league and a supporting cast that did all the work. I'm gonna go with option B. He stunk to high heaven......:facepalm:

PatelJ1010
05-27-2010, 01:17 AM
I actually think he was an ok coach. He knew how to play even when Lebron was hurt and some coaches need help in order to fill in their super stars shoes I.E Chris Paul .>Darren Collison (spelled wrong)...but no rings, and only made it to the finals once and could not make it to the conference finals since

iFYouSeekAmy
05-27-2010, 01:26 AM
Hmm.. did Mike Brown actually win games, or did Lebron just drag him towards winning games?

DengelBerry
05-27-2010, 10:30 AM
He was a good coach, just not a great coach.

His team needed it's best player to score 30+ppg, pull down 8+rpg, and dish out 7+apg in order for them to succeed. That alone should pretty much tell you that they had serious flaws to begin with.

agreed

Hawkeye15
05-27-2010, 10:40 AM
he was a good defensive coach. But he may have been the worst adjuster of anyone in the league. He literally made terrible adjustments to other team's style of play. I think overall, he was an average coach. Anyone with LeBron in the east could win 55 games or more, sorry

FairWeatherFan?
05-27-2010, 02:14 PM
If Mike Brown could have learned to call a time out 4-5 points sooner, he would have been a great coach.

The success of the last two seasons is not a result of him, but the talent he had. With that said the success of his first three seasons is a result of him, despite the talent he had.

LTS
05-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Average but i have feeling that locker room was lebrons not his and that will probably continue no matter hwere he goes unless Riley or Jackson or the coachs names