PDA

View Full Version : OKC Thunder...

HouRealCoach
05-25-2010, 05:38 PM
I think that after this offseason that this team will end up being the second best in the West.

First off they have to find pieces to beat the Lakers. Now that the Sixers have the chance to get Turner they might be willing to deal Iggy. IMO he holds some of the best defense on Kobe that I have ever seen. Maybe they can trade Harden for him. Another piece they will need is a legit Big Man... The first two that come to mind is Thabeet or Gasol. They will need a legit Center and then sign 2 or 3 veterans(Jarvis Hayes, Brad Miller, etc) with MLE I think that this will allow them to surpass the Lakers...

What are your thoughts?

RadiantShot
05-25-2010, 05:42 PM
I like your case, but I'm not sure OKC will be ranked second in the Western Conference next season...They're still relatively young. I know people will disregard what I'm saying and say, "They brought the Lakers to 6 games in the Playoffs!" Well, that's not all you have to consider. The Lakers are old, and OKC is really young and energetic. Later on, OKC will need some experience to get to the final pedestal of the Playoffs, meaning the WCF, and the Finals. I still think Denver, or Dallas will end up outplaying them next season, but I think OKC can sneak past Utah, Portland, and all the other Western teams, just like this season.

I've never thought about Iggy going to OKC. Would provide some lock-down defense..But I don't know if Iggy is what they need. I think they should focus on bringing in a big man who can strengthen their interior defense. Ibaka isn't working much. He's decent on offense, but if they get an experienced big man, I could see them going further in the Playoffs.

ko8e24
05-25-2010, 05:48 PM
OKC needs a scoring big man and a few more shooters.

USMCLaker
05-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Great thread, btw.

OKC won me over in round 1, I hope they do well. Although, second, of course is about as well as I hope they do. But, I love their heart, played like men, they didn't lose their composure and actually played pretty consistent defense. I wish them well.

ItsTheLastAce
05-25-2010, 06:18 PM
i like them, i dont think they'll be 2nd but definitely top 5 imo. they just need experience and a big man. if they can develop bj mullens right or sign a big name big man, they will be very very scary

tredigs
05-25-2010, 06:19 PM
They need a knockdown shooter to open up the floor for Durant, bad. It's possible that Harden will develop into this, but he is not there yet. A young guy like Anthony Morrow would be ideal. And obviously yeah, they need a solid big who can not only score, but play some solid post D. A player like Bogut would be pretty ideal.

They do have 4 picks in this draft and a generous amount of cap space, so they'll probably be looking to trade a couple of these to pick up these missing links. But I think they're going to be very good to upper-elite next season if they acquire even one of these pieces.

BlueJayFanDan
05-25-2010, 06:20 PM
OKC is gonna be a great team down the road. Will it happen by next season? I dunno. But with that core that they are building I can only imagine 2 or 3 years they will be a top 3 or 4 team.

iggypop123
05-25-2010, 06:56 PM
okc has no post game. another thing is they avoided injuries all season long. they will probably not have that great luck next season. another is they wont sneak up on people anymore

BAMF
05-25-2010, 07:34 PM
great! Let okc pick up a big in the draft.

JNA17
05-25-2010, 07:44 PM
okc=title contenders in 2011

bgut222
05-25-2010, 07:53 PM
A move that could bring the Thunder over the top would be to sign forward superstars Chris Bosh or Amare Stodomire. With a lineup where you have to worry about Amare and Kevin Durant would be unstoppable. If the Thunder are smart in the offseason they could become a championship caliber team.

barreleffact
05-25-2010, 07:56 PM
i like them, i dont think they'll be 2nd but definitely top 5 imo. they just need experience and a big man. if they can develop bj mullens right or sign a big name big man, they will be very very scary

DUDE! your sig is badass

fromtheD
05-25-2010, 08:01 PM
they should make a trade for rip hamilton to add a knock down shooter. not as great as he was but can knock down shots still probably get hamilton for pick or something then they can just add a MLE big man of some sort (camby, miller or somebody) then they could easily in my mind be rite up there with LA

Burkey3472
05-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Another piece or two they would contend next year but it's more realistic to say they will be series title contenders in 2-3 years.

king4day
05-25-2010, 08:43 PM
would LA trade them bynum for green? would OKC do it?
Move pau to center and green starts @ PF.

td0tsfinest
05-25-2010, 08:50 PM
They got a lot of good pieces but they're going to have to get rid of one of them, if they're thinking of contending. Jeff Green seems to be the odd man out of the core group. Unless, OKC is comfortable with having KD play the 2 and Green play the 3, the team should look to move Green for a big man.

If they do try to go after a guy like Chris Bosh, Jeff Green maybe the guy to come over in a S&T.

soonabooma
05-25-2010, 10:44 PM
They got a lot of good pieces but they're going to have to get rid of one of them, if they're thinking of contending. Jeff Green seems to be the odd man out of the core group. Unless, OKC is comfortable with having KD play the 2 and Green play the 3, the team should look to move Green for a big man.

If they do try to go after a guy like Chris Bosh, Jeff Green maybe the guy to come over in a S&T.

That could be true, but there's also a chance that we could bring in a true center or maybe a super power forward and make Green our 6th man, kinda like what LA did with Odom, basically a starter caliber player giving us a huge spark off the bench. We're not gonna get Bosh or Amare, but let's say we did....if we got either of those two guys, Jeff would be coming off the bench. And even if we were to bring in a true big man, Jeff could still be forced to take on that roll if we feel Ibaka would be more effective as the starter at PF. Obviously, we're gonna have to make some tough choices for financial reasons, but if we could find some good pieces by way of free agents/trades that would allow us to still keep our core group together, then I would think it would be well worth paying a luxury tax, even in a smaller market. You've gotta spend money to win, and I'm hoping we'll be willing to do that before we go and trade away any of our young "team chemistry" guys. Now if we get the opportunity to bring in a special player and it costs us a guy like Green or Harden, then we might not have any choice but to do it. But if we can sign a good free agent or two and trade away some draft picks, allowing us to keep this group intact, then that would be great. ;)

timz-a-changin
05-25-2010, 11:13 PM
So I am a Kings fan but think you have a great team and future. I dont know what your salary situation looks like but I think that of all the teams OKC should have the best chance to land a top tier FA simply based of all the young players and quality of the team. If you were to add Bosh to play center or PF that would give a post scorer who can rebound.

I think Amare is overrated.... but Lebron would be a huge addition and if he truly wants to win he could fit your style of play and help. That would also be a big lineup....

Another scenerio would be attempting to steal away Gay and attempting to sign Tyson Chandler .... Defensive Center and a big sg/sf that can shoot the three. There is a lot of possibilities of what can be done...

Kakaroach
05-25-2010, 11:16 PM
The one thing they need to be a contending team is an offensive big man who can score in the post. Not David Lee or someone like him.

It would also help if James Harden emerged as a legit 6th man scorer off of the bench.

Duncan = Donkey
05-26-2010, 12:20 AM
i dont think top 2 top 4/5 seems more accurate.

i still think the lakers, suns, jazz, mavs will all be better.

Duncan = Donkey
05-26-2010, 12:21 AM
but in like 2/3 years, they could easily be the 2nd best and possibly the best

OT Thriller
05-26-2010, 03:03 AM
they should make a trade for rip hamilton to add a knock down shooter. not as great as he was but can knock down shots still probably get hamilton for pick or something then they can just add a MLE big man of some sort (camby, miller or somebody) then they could easily in my mind be rite up there with LA

Great first post! I think Rip would fit well in OKC as a veteran leader. But they have to send someone to Detroit so the salary works but that would be cool to see.

kjdills13
05-26-2010, 04:03 AM
how about the sign a guy like jermain oneil or joe pryzbilla

sventhedog
05-26-2010, 07:38 AM
i'm not sure they can be second to the lakers but i can be sure that a very young set of players will push them deep in the playoffs. a young players priority is financial stability. so it would be very difficult to keep the roster intact when most of your players would be looking for a bigger contract instead of settling for being a role player on the team to win championships. that's just the way it is. championship rings won't feed your family.

okc has a lot of assets to trade if they want to improve the team.

Corey
05-26-2010, 08:01 AM
I like this team so much. Bringing Harden off the bench is fantastic for them, allowing Sefolosha to be their shut down defender in the starting line.

They have some room to get someone like David Lee, and if they make a move like that...they can easily become a top 3 team in the West.

This year they were supposed to be 9-10th in the West, and they made the playoffs and won 50 games. Add another year of experience for their core, and another offseason to build chemistry and this team can be very scary. They now have the post season experience they didn't previously have.

Mr.ATLHawks
05-26-2010, 08:37 AM
I like David Lee on this team...he is someone who can score but doesnt need the ball in his hands. Maybe even possibly Shaq who, yes is over the hill, but can give them some inside toughness at a reasonable price and he has the experience. Shaq will not be looking to re-sign with Cleveland if Bron bolts....Utah will not be better then OKC if Boozer leaves, and the Mavs will be looking to massivey shake their roster, yet again, so I think potentially OKC could slide right in to that number 2 with some subtle additions..

Carey
05-26-2010, 08:40 AM
I think we will bring in a mid level vet big and grab a shooter, that big will act as a bridge to Byron Mullens and whoever we get in the draft. I know people think we are so small but once guys develop we are gonna have a pretty big and talented frontcourt seeing that i expect us to take another one with the 4 picks we have in this draft and we are developing Ibaka and Mullens. What sets us apart is chemistry and defense and that will jus get better when we get another guy that will rebound and defend the paint and all our guys are still years away from their prime.

dstruong
05-26-2010, 10:32 AM
i wish all the luck to OKC as KD is my favorite player.. but look what happen to Portland the past 2-3 years. and New Orleans after the 07-08 campaign. these were suppose to be the future dynasties of the league. Now, New Orleans in looking to rebuild, and Portland cant keep 5 players on the floor.

Lets not judge based off one year of success.

KnicksorBust
05-26-2010, 11:25 AM
i wish all the luck to OKC as KD is my favorite player.. but look what happen to Portland the past 2-3 years. and New Orleans after the 07-08 campaign. these were suppose to be the future dynasties of the league. Now, New Orleans in looking to rebuild, and Portland cant keep 5 players on the floor.

Lets not judge based off one year of success.

Now it is important to recognize that both of those teams got hurt tremendously by injuries but I actually agree completely your point. The way OKC is constructed right now has put a ceiling on them. They need to make a big splash this summer. Package players, take back extra salary in trades and GET SOME MORE VET TALENT ON BOARD. One of the biggest mistakes I feel you can make is to waste time when you have a player like Durant. IMO, he is already a top 5 player in the league. He's your #1. You are blessed from above. You have this superstar to carry you. GET HIM A #2! Westbrook, Harden, Green, Ibaka, etc are young and talented. NONE OF THEM ARE #2's. Trade one/two/three of them if you have to and get a legit big man to play inside/out with Durant. Carey knows his stuff but if you waste money on signing some mid-level big man like Brad Miller and wait for Mullens to come through then I think that's a waste of time, money, and Durant. Before the season I made a thread suggesting that they should package Westbrook to get Nash, Green to get Chris Kaman, and sign David Lee. People thought it was a horrible idea. Some people probably still do. However, that lineup could have BEAT the Lakers and probably wouldn't have been playing them in the first place. I think it's fun to root for the Thunder too but in my opinion we won't get to root for them in May and June unless they make some strong power moves this summer.

The MVBP
05-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Trading Harden for Iggy is stupid! This is coming from a Sixer & Thunder fan. Harden had a great year & can shoot more efficiently than Iggy. Plus the Sixers will want more than Harden for Iggy. The Thunder just need to stay in tact. They're young & was the 8 seed, no way they'll just jump to 2 seed maybe 5 or 6 next year that is based on team development, draft & FA signings. All they need to do is sign a legit big man (by the way Thabeet is NOT), a veteran scorer off the bench & a shooter. They will be fine.

The MVBP
05-26-2010, 11:30 AM
What's wrong with letting the team develop?! You guys realize this team you're trying to change surprised everyone & made it in the playoffs as an 8 seed & took it even further by pushing the defending champion Lakers to 6 games almost 7! You guys are acting like they're all retiring next year, they just need a few players 2 or 3 not including a draft pick.

The MVBP
05-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Now it is important to recognize that both of those teams got hurt tremendously by injuries but I actually agree completely your point. The way OKC is constructed right now has put a ceiling on them. They need to make a big splash this summer. Package players, take back extra salary in trades and GET SOME MORE VET TALENT ON BOARD. One of the biggest mistakes I feel you can make is to waste time when you have a player like Durant. IMO, he is already a top 5 player in the league. He's your #1. You are blessed from above. You have this superstar to carry you. GET HIM A #2! Westbrook, Harden, Green, Ibaka, etc are young and talented. NONE OF THEM ARE #2's. Trade one/two/three of them if you have to and get a legit big man to play inside/out with Durant. Carey knows his stuff but if you waste money on signing some mid-level big man like Brad Miller and wait for Mullens to come through then I think that's a waste of time, money, and Durant. Before the season I made a thread suggesting that they should package Westbrook to get Nash, Green to get Chris Kaman, and sign David Lee. People thought it was a horrible idea. Some people probably still do. However, that lineup could have BEAT the Lakers and probably wouldn't have been playing them in the first place. I think it's fun to root for the Thunder too but in my opinion we won't get to root for them in May and June unless they make some strong power moves this summer.

Trading Westbrook/Harden/Green/Ibaka/etc in a package deal of 2 or 3 will mess up the team. The team is young give them time someone will step up! Plus you aren't thinking realistically these trades you are coming up with are like you are playing a video game

Stunner
05-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Oh yeah forgot about BJ Mullens they need to train him right and get him on the floor. I feel he was better than Nenad last year.

KnicksorBust
05-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Trading Westbrook/Harden/Green/Ibaka/etc in a package deal of 2 or 3 will mess up the team. The team is young give them time someone will step up! Plus you aren't thinking realistically these trades you are coming up with are like you are playing a video game

:laugh: How about you actually explain your point rather than making some dismissive statement about how I'm "playing a video game?" Which one isn't realistic? Jeff Green for Kaman or Westbrook for Nash?

For the first trade, Jeff Green is younger and had a much better season than Kaman last year. Green's value was very high and Kaman's was low. The Clippers had an overloaded frontcourt that included Marcus Camby, Zach Randolph and an incoming Blake Griffin. For the second trade, you need to realize that Nash was a FA last summer and almost didn't re-sign. The Suns would have jumped at a S&T for Westbrook. When I posted the thread last summer everyone thought the Thunder were getting ripped off. This lineup:

PG - Steve Nash
SG - Thabo Sefolosha
SF - Kevin Durant
PF - David Lee
C - Chris Kaman

6th man - James Harden

could have made a legit run in the postseason RIGHT NOW and imo is a title contender for the next 4-5 years with Nash being the only one whose skills will start to diminish (although the way he stays in shape, he's like Stockton Part 2).

If the Miami Heat had worried about this they would have held on to Caron Butler and Lamar Odom and never won an NBA title. Just because a player is young and good doesn't mean you can't trade him. The Thunder need to make a power move to get over the hump because this team is not a title contender.

Carey
05-26-2010, 03:27 PM

While i dont agree with your trade proposals i do get the message i really do. Presti's goal from day one has been sustained success, he wants a team to be in the mix year in and year out. We have a core in place that can be competitive for the next 10 years. I agree that Center is the glaring hole and i think Presti will look around for better options but its not alot of true productive NBA centers floating around and they are certaintly not gonna be given away thats why i said that getting a mid level type of center is more realistic while we develop younger guys. Plus we want the financial flexibility to re-sign guys down the road. Looking at our team i see Ibaka and Harden as double figure scorers in the near future, KD, Jeff and Westbrook will all improve on what they've done. I'd like to see one post scorer, doesnt have to be 20 and 10 but a steady 10 and 10 would be nice. Maybe thats Mullens in 11"-12"? Maybe its done thru trade? Maybe its a guy we take this year? But if you look at all the playoff teams in the West they all have 5 double figure scorers except us. We had 3 with Harden at 9 ppg. I think he'll go over that this coming year, Ibaka will get closer to 10 and continue to develop because he has some upside as a post player.

loki34
05-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Max offer to boozer and you'll probably get him...green should go to the bench he'd be a top 5 6th man. Not to many players can in the game for 3 different positions.