PDA

View Full Version : Sources: New Jersey Nets Have Reached Out To Phil Jackson

ko8e24
05-25-2010, 03:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5216961

Although the Nets privately acknowledge the long-shot nature of tempting Jackson away from Los Angeles, given the 64-year-old's recent insistence that he's "90 percent" certain he'll coach the Lakers if he coaches anywhere next season, sources with knowledge of New Jersey's thinking have maintained for weeks that new owner Mikhail Prokhorov is determined to make the splashiest hire he can.

The Nets' association with Jackson certainly doesn't compare to what he achieved with the Bulls, but Prokhorov's presence and presumed willingness to pay top dollar would seemingly give New Jersey -- along with Cleveland's free-spending owner Dan Gilbert -- more hope of meeting Jackson's salary demands that the Bulls, who are regarded leaguewide as reluctant spenders.

With the help of part owner Jay-Z, one of James' closest friends, New Jersey intends to pursue James as hard as Chicago in free agency despite last week's disappointment in the draft lottery, when the Nets -- after going 12-70 -- only landed the No. 3 overall and lost the opportunity to draft Kentucky's John Wall, another James pal. The Nets, like the Bulls and Cavaliers, realize that prying Jackson away from L.A. could be as valuable in the recruitment process as signing another marquee free agent to play alongside James.

But Nets president Rod Thorn told the Newark Star-Ledger in Tuesday's editions that he has yet to schedule an interview for New Jersey's coaching opening. When the Nets finally complete the fact-finding phase of their season, Thorn told the newspaper he intends to interview "four to six" candidates, with sources saying that ESPN analyst Avery Johnson and Boston Celtics assistant coach Tom Thibodeau are already on that list. The Star-Ledger reported that the Nets are also likely to reach out to Mike Brown, who was fired Monday as coach of the Cavaliers.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-25-2010, 03:12 PM
is this aprils fool joke:confused:

arkanian215
05-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Rod Thorn denied the ESPN report that the Nets reached out to Phil Jackson through back channels to gauge his interest in coaching them.

“It’s not true,” Thorn said. “You can quote me on that.”
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/inthezzone/comments/thorn_denies_reaching_out_to_phil/

DCB/LAL
05-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Lebron must REALLY WANT TO PLAY WITH PHIL.......so does that mean if Phil stays a Laker will Lebron force the Cavs hand and become one as well? :shrug:

He's looking for a reason to join LA and Phil is it. :D

DengelBerry
05-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Honestly who wouldn't want to Phil Jackson to coach there team? I would want him or Pat Riley to coach me if i was an athlete.

RaiderLakersA's
05-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Funny that in the year of the Free Agent, one of the biggest ones to possibly "opt out" is Phil Jackson. This just keeps getting better and better!

Kakaroach
05-25-2010, 05:10 PM
If this keeps up we'll have to make a Phil Jackson Official Free Agency Speculation Thread. :laugh:

I don't know who wouldn't want him though besides teams with already solid coaches.

GoatMilk
05-25-2010, 05:15 PM
I dont think Phil is going to want to teach the Triangle to a bunch of youngin's without Tex Winter

this applies to the Bulls as well

td0tsfinest
05-25-2010, 05:24 PM
Wasn't Jackson contemplating retirement?

DaBUU
05-25-2010, 05:24 PM
this all sounds like phils people putting this out there. This is almost identical to the "Bulls reach out to Phil" story. Phil doesnt want to leave LA, but he also doesnt want a pay cut so he's negotiating through the media, it's all for leverage.

The Final Boss
05-25-2010, 05:28 PM
No way in hell he goes to New Jersey. Everyone in the state wants to leave, so why would he want to go there?

RadiantShot
05-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Don't see why Phil would leave...I would think Phil wants to finish out his career as a head-coach strong, in the place where he's arguably been the most successful, Los Angeles. Either way, if he was going to leave, he wouldn't go to an underachieving Nets' franchise, for any other reasons, besides cash.

MJ-BULLS
05-25-2010, 05:42 PM
i just cant see him in NJ, no way he goes there.

theres a better chance he comes to Chicago.

nbafan63
05-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Don't see why Phil would leave...I would think Phil wants to finish out his career as a head-coach strong, in the place where he's arguably been the most successful, Los Angeles. Either way, if he was going to leave, he wouldn't go to an underachieving Nets' franchise, for any other reasons, besides cash.

Cash can buy you just about anything. The new owner is worth 15 billion. If he REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted Lebron, then he needs to get Phil first. If he tossed $60 million to Phil's face (3 yr contract), im pretty sure Phil is leaving LA. And this would set him up to get Lebron as well.

avrpatsfan
05-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Cash can buy you just about anything. The new owner is worth 15 billion. If he REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted Lebron, then he needs to get Phil first. If he tossed $60 million to Phil's face (3 yr contract), im pretty sure Phil is leaving LA. And this would set him up to get Lebron as well.

20 million is too much. More like 12 million.

SaimoNETS
05-25-2010, 06:17 PM
No way in hell he goes to New Jersey. Everyone in the state wants to leave, so why would he want to go there?

What makes you think that everyone wants to leave NJ? :eyebrow:

nbafan63
05-25-2010, 06:20 PM
20 million is too much. More like 12 million.

Phil gets 12 mill now. Why would he move to NJ for 12 mill? Even if Lakers cut his salary to 10 mill, he'll still stay in LA. But if you offer some ridiculous amout, you can get phil to move.

BlueJayFanDan
05-25-2010, 06:22 PM
I see no reason for Phil to leave L.A. and 12 mil. I see no reason to go to a team that won like 1 game this season.

nbafan63
05-25-2010, 06:27 PM
I see no reason for Phil to leave L.A. and 12 mil. I see no reason to go to a team that won like 1 game this season.

what happened this year has nothing to do with next year. a lot can change over this summer. the nets have 32 mill in cap room to spend on 2 FAs + #3 pick. The celtics went from like 20 wins to championship in 1 summer.

Evolution23
05-25-2010, 06:57 PM
If he goes to any team besides the Lakers (fat chance), it would be the Nets becuse the Russian billionaire throws money around like its nothing.

KeithLBC
05-25-2010, 07:02 PM
It's funny how 3 months ago Phil Jackson couldn't do anything right and now everybody wants him :rolleyes:

JNA17
05-25-2010, 07:14 PM
It's funny how 3 months ago Phil Jackson couldn't do anything right and now everybody wants him :rolleyes:

when your a big time player or coach, and your on the market, 0% and 100% dick sucking goes on. on the lakers, hated on a regular basis. It's a simple formula :D