PDA

View Full Version : How much power does David Stern have?

Vincent33
05-24-2010, 11:42 AM
President Obama is pushing for Lebron to join the Bulls. I thought the Commish said talking about Lebron and his impending Free Agency on where he could go was a BIG :no: until 1 July.

Stern should keep his word and fine POTUS for throwing his support of Lebron to Chicago. ;)

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/05/23/obama.lebron.ap/index.html

RaptorizedKevin
05-24-2010, 11:43 AM
isnt obama tampering just like waht kerr and cuban did? obama just wants lebron there because obamas from chicago.. hell no.

king4day
05-24-2010, 11:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dJolYw8tnk

PostingMachine
05-24-2010, 11:57 AM
It's not the same at all, Obama is a fan of the game, technically, while Kerr and Cuban are actually affiliate with an NBA team, there is nothing Stern can do, he can't punish a fan.

RaptorizedKevin
05-24-2010, 12:05 PM
It's not the same at all, Obama is a fan of the game, technically, while Kerr and Cuban are actually affiliate with an NBA team, there is nothing Stern can do, he can't punish a fan.

agreed.

JNA17
05-24-2010, 12:54 PM

that and the fact that obama is the ****ing president :laugh:

ldc62
05-24-2010, 12:55 PM
President Obama is pushing for Lebron to join the Bulls. I thought the Commish said talking about Lebron and his impending Free Agency on where he could go was a BIG :no: until 1 July.

Stern should keep his word and fine POTUS for throwing his support of Lebron to Chicago. ;)

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/05/23/obama.lebron.ap/index.html

Are you serious? Are you dense or did you not realize that Obama isn't working/owning a team. How can Stern start fining fans? I wonder how Stern would look if he wanted to fine the President...

Caps1989
05-24-2010, 01:14 PM

Oh yes he can, I'll use the Minnesota Timberwolves as an example of how Stern can punish fans.

JNA17
05-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Oh yes he can, I'll use the Minnesota Timberwolves as an example of how Stern can punish fans.

humor me.

BradyIsTheMan12
05-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Obama can say whatever he wants. Am I going to get in trouble if I make a youtube video telling Lebron to come to Portland? No..

Vincent33
05-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Are you serious? Are you dense or did you not realize that Obama isn't working/owning a team. How can Stern start fining fans? I wonder how Stern would look if he wanted to fine the President...

Did you not see the ;) !?! Of course I'm serious ;)

RadiantShot
05-24-2010, 02:06 PM
LeBron has already stated he doesn't want to go to the Bulls, because they're a 'rival' team.

NYMETS2889
05-24-2010, 02:17 PM
goodell should just take over as comish for all the leagues he takes **** from nobody

Miami_Megatron
05-24-2010, 02:26 PM
wayyyy too much power!

Cubsfan365
05-24-2010, 02:31 PM
LeBron has already stated he doesn't want to go to the Bulls, because they're a 'rival' team.
Oh really??? I think everyone would agree that recent events would suggest that LeBron would be perfectly happy going to Chicago.

The Final Boss
05-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Not even David Stern could get Lebron a ring...

GspLAL
05-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Yeah Stern has so much power he's gonna bring down the President.

gwrighter
05-24-2010, 07:28 PM
It's not like he can fine Obama but i mean i wish NBA TV would air an interview with the prime minister of canada stating reasons why lebron will sign with the raptors.

PLAYERS FAN
05-24-2010, 07:39 PM

If you give David Stern the keys to rule a nation it will be Communism or Zionism:D

francium34
05-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Actually, Stern must be delighted. If the president is NBA, a lot of not-so-fervent people will too. That's a great free commercial.

But YES I would like to see him fine Obama. It would be more fun than some playoff series this year.

Draco
05-24-2010, 09:33 PM

Obama doesn't represent a team and isn't a player. Not sure how you didn't notice that a lot of people are talking about where Lebron might or should go.

94. What is tampering?

Tampering is when a player or team directly or indirectly entices, induces or persuades anybody (player, general manager, etc.) who is under contract with another team to negotiate for their services. The NBA takes tampering very seriously and may impose stiff penalties if it is discovered, however the league will not investigate unless another team files tampering charges. Here are some examples:

* The Miami Heat were discovered to have tampered with Pat Riley in 1995 by negotiating with Riley while he was still head coach of the New York Knicks. The Heat "settled," and avoided league-imposed penalties, by compensating the Knicks with $1 million and their first round draft pick in 1996.
* After Will Perdue left San Antonio in the 1999 offseason to sign with Chicago, he commented to the press about the possibility of the Bulls signing Tim Duncan and/or Grant Hill in 2000. The league considered this to be tampering, and issued Perdue a warning.

You may have noticed that when general managers and other team personnel talk to the press, they are careful to avoid talking about specific players who play for other teams. They do this in order to avoid tampering.
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q94

td0tsfinest
05-24-2010, 09:48 PM
There have been reports of David Stern lobbying executive positions for some teams. So he definitely has some power but at the end of the day, this is Lebron's decision.

Lakersfan2483
05-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Stern doesn't have the power to punish the president of the United States. What's he going to do with the Commander and Chief? lol

Kakaroach
05-24-2010, 10:01 PM
I think he has all the power when it comes to fining and suspending people. But as for major decisions he needs all of the owners' help as well. He does have a lot of power though.

Reyes6
05-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Obama will use his power as commander in chief and move LeBron to Chicago, because during a time of war (which is basically always with America) a president has full power.

jackdawson
05-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Obama is just a fan. Why would Stern do that? Even if he tries to fine the most powerful man on the planet, we can say goodbye to stern.

Vincent33
05-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Even the guys on PTI mentioned that the fines for Cuban and Kerr were ridiculous and jokingly asked if Stern would fine President Obama as well.

effen5
05-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Stern has more power then the commander in chief...

There are actually rumors that it was Stern who decided to invade Iraq, not Bush.

The Jokemaker
05-25-2010, 11:19 AM
I think Stern has sizable pull considering the work being done to make sure its Lakers-Celtics final. Anybody else see that clock freeze at 8.5 seconds?

hgtiger32
05-26-2010, 11:41 PM
maybe it's just my frustration pouring out, but i'm known as a person who keeps his cool, is calm, and never releases my frustration. well tonight i let loose

*begining to think that tim donaghy is more credible than David Stern.

*maybe the NBA is losing more money than we thought with the way stern is trying to lengthen the playoffs

*little bit of a side note with tonights game, **** you not i got out the stopwatch and timed how long dwight was in the paint. longest i got was 9.6 and there were PLENTY of 5-6 seconds in paint

*there HAS to be a rule change regarding technicals and flagrents. if the NBA could have 3 guys at each game that could dispute whether it was a worthy tech or flag then we wouldn't have the problem of a player being ejected & not being able to play when he should've. **if perks techs get taken away it's a slap in the face to the celtics. "yeah sorry boston, we got it wrong when we kicked your player out for most of the game and even though we realize it cost you the game, nothing can be done." seriously wtf?

*my friend is convinced that because most of the series have been so short that the NBA wants a celtics - lakers finals but in doing so both the ECF & WCF will go 7. i unfortunatly agree with him.

*i'm also surprised that stern didn't stretch out the cavs & celtics series so people could watch more lebron. but im guessing lebrons elbow was so messed up that when stern found out he wanted to get James his rest, creating suspision that he's gng to NY to get more money (which would bring the NBA more $$$ too). **heck stern prolly created the delonte west-mama lebron relationship story.

***overall this is frigen pathetic and i am NOW convince that stern controls what the heck happens in the NBA. i wonder where he'll push the FA's to sign with
_*_*_*thoughts? anyone agree?

AZCardsFan
05-26-2010, 11:44 PM
maybe it's just my frustration pouring out, but i'm known as a person who keeps his cool, is calm, and never releases my frustration. well tonight i let loose

*maybe the NBA is losing more money than we thought with the way stern is trying to lengthen the playoffs

*little bit of a side note with tonights game, **** you not i got out the stopwatch and timed how long dwight was in the paint. longest i got was 9.6 and there were PLENTY of 5-6 seconds in paint

*there HAS to be a rule change regarding technicals and flagrents. if the NBA could have 3 guys at each game that could dispute whether it was a worthy tech or flag then we wouldn't have the problem of a player being ejected & not being able to play when he should've. **if perks techs get taken away it's a slap in the face to the celtics. "yeah sorry boston, we got it wrong when we kicked your player out for most of the game and even though we realize it cost you the game, nothing can be done." seriously wtf?

*my friend is convinced that because most of the series have been so short that the NBA wants a celtics - lakers finals but in doing so both the ECF & WCF will go 7. i unfortunatly agree with him.

*i'm also surprised that stern didn't stretch out the cavs & celtics series so people could watch more lebron. but im guessing lebrons elbow was so messed up that when stern found out he wanted to get James his rest, creating suspision that he's gng to NY to get more money (which would bring the NBA more $$$ too). **heck stern prolly created the delonte west-mama lebron relationship story.

***overall this is frigen pathetic and i am NOW convince that stern controls what the heck happens in the NBA. i wonder where he'll push the FA's to sign with

Magic were up by 10 when he was ejected. It was a horrible call but saying thats the reason the Celtics lost the game is just a bad excuse.

CowboysKB24
05-26-2010, 11:48 PM

This could be the stupidest thread and post I have ever seen.

You can't fine a fan of the game for speaking on the free agency. It is like fining ESPN for talking about LeBron... give me a break man. What the hell are you thinking?

tredigs
05-26-2010, 11:48 PM

You don't know what you're talking about, and no.

Wisdom Listens
05-26-2010, 11:54 PM
This could be the stupidest thread and post I have ever seen.

You can't fine a fan of the game for speaking on the free agency. It is like fining ESPN for talking about LeBron... give me a break man. What the hell are you thinking?

I'm pretty sure he was joking.

jackdawson
05-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Stern has enough power to make a playoff game look ugly, dirty, and rigged. We have seen that tonight and I not a celtics fan (Actually hate them, but truth be told).