PDA

View Full Version : Stop the old-guy talk, Kobe is better than ever

DitchDat
05-24-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm a Celtic fan, but all the "Kobe-is-too-old" talk is getting boring. His team is in the Conference Finals once again, and his shooting percentages are among his career-highs, he only averaged more assist only once, all while playing less than 40 minutes for the first time since 99-00.

His team is doing it with Bynum injured once again, while he is pretty banged up himself.

Bring on the Finals rematch , Beantown vs. Hollywood !!!!

Oh, and on a siden note, would anyone also like to see lineups of Perk, Sheed, KG, Pierce, Ray vs. Bynum, Pau, Odom, Artest, Kobe ? Just for the sake of having so much size on the floor? I know I would

thephoenixson28
05-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Nope I rather see the Suns vs. Boston ;)

thephoenixson28
05-24-2010, 11:26 AM
I thought Kobe was going to drop 60 last night the way he was shooting.

kArSoN RyDaH
05-24-2010, 11:28 AM

yeaa in that first quarter he dropped 15 he was on pace to do it too but idk why phil jackson toook him out until like 7 left in the 2nd. i was madd..

Sinattle
05-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Yeah he really hasn't slowed down or anything yet. In fact I'd say Kobe is still at his peak.

BOSTON617
05-24-2010, 11:38 AM
sun vs boston ;) i disagree with that line up rondo is going to make or break the series he controls the tone of the game and without rondo the celtics would be pretty screwed

RaptorizedKevin
05-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Nope I rather see the Suns vs. Boston ;)

i want the suns to win it all. but bostons defense will lock the suns down.. and i dont want to see the celtics win it all .

RaptorizedKevin
05-24-2010, 11:42 AM

i thought he was gonna drop 81 like he did to the raptors.

BOSTON617
05-24-2010, 11:45 AM
i want the suns to win it all. but bostons defense will lock the suns down.. and i dont want to see the celtics win it all .

:mad: oooo we will :cool:

PostingMachine
05-24-2010, 11:49 AM
I don't think most people are saying that his skills have gone down with his age, but the guy isn't getting older. Kobe is one of my favorite players, and I still have to admit that sooner or later he's going to start showing his age, but think about it, why is Phil Jackson giving him all those rests? So he can keep playing, and he's not just thinking about this postseason, he's thinking about farther into the future.

Kobe isn't ever going to go downhill too much, he'll always be one of the better players in the NBA, simply because of his basketball IQ, but in the next few years he's not going to be the guy that hits every crazy clutch shot. Don't get me wrong, he's still going to put up a good 18-23 PPG, but he's not going to take over games quite as much late in the fourth quarter.

sixerfixer
05-24-2010, 11:55 AM
When the NBA Body goes, it goes. Sorry to be the one to tell you that. But Kobe has MAYBE one more good year, and then after that,,it's gonna be downhill FAST!
I mean if you look at ALL the past NBA players built like Kobe, in the 6ft5 to 6ft 7 range, like MJ. They were all good, and looked at the top of their games to. But once they all hit that 1000 to 1100 games played mark, they ALL suddenly dropped way off in production, health, ect. Kobe after this season is just over 1,020 games played. And if he plays a full season next year he will be over 1100 games played.

Go and check the stats of MJ, and a player who I think is VERY Simular to Kobe, and that is Clyde Drexler. He played 1086 games, and about 38,000 minutes, and he suddenly went from a productive super star at 22 Pts a game, to nodda the next season.

Trust me, it's gonna happen to Kobe, and soon. He may still play another 5 years. But he may only be the elite star that he is for next year, maybe 2 more years tops.

thephoenixson28
05-24-2010, 12:00 PM
i want the suns to win it all. but bostons defense will lock the suns down.. and i dont want to see the celtics win it all . I think that we match up pretty well with the celtics. We beat them 2-0 in the season series. Arizona would go crazy if the Suns won the championship. Especially this year cuz it would have so much meaning to it. Everyone said no playoffs. We advance to the 2nd round, to not only beat the Spurs but sweep them. Also if we come back and win the series against the lakers after being down 2-0. That would be a championship for us, but if the Suns were to win it all Arizona would Go crazy.

FOBolous
05-24-2010, 12:07 PM
one good game than all of the sudden and "kobe is still as his peak." c'mon people. he's had more bad games this whole season than good games. good games from Kobe are a rare occurrence these days.

hugepatsfan
05-24-2010, 12:20 PM
I'm not a cocky Celts fan - I though we would struggle w/ MIA, lose to CLE, lose to ORL. If we play the Lakers, I think we lose (I'm a pessimist). But if we play the Suns I think it would be a sweep.

td0tsfinest
05-24-2010, 12:36 PM

they did beat boston twice in the season so far but this Celtics team is playing on an entire new level than they did in the season.

JNA17
05-24-2010, 12:46 PM
in before lock

DengelBerry
05-24-2010, 01:09 PM
I think that we match up pretty well with the celtics. We beat them 2-0 in the season series. Arizona would go crazy if the Suns won the championship. Especially this year cuz it would have so much meaning to it. Everyone said no playoffs. We advance to the 2nd round, to not only beat the Spurs but sweep them. Also if we come back and win the series against the lakers after being down 2-0. That would be a championship for us, but if the Suns were to win it all Arizona would Go crazy.

You cant compare the season to the playoffs:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

maddBat
05-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Yeah he really hasn't slowed down or anything yet. In fact I'd say Kobe is still at his peak.

hes slowed down in certain aspects. he doesnt drive as much as he use 2. his knees sometimes get 2 him. BUT his midrange shot gets him anything he wants. if u giv him 2 much space its buckets in ur face. play 2 tight he'll burn u off the dribble 2 get space n pop it from there. his fadeaway is what makes him almost impossible 2 guard. he has a real high basketball IQ. thats what makes him STILL one of the greatest. :D

whitemamba33
05-24-2010, 01:16 PM
He is getting older..obviously that is fact. If you watched him when he was younger and if you are watching him now, he is a very different player. He is much more likely to settle for the jump shot now than he was when was 25. he is much more likely to post up his defender, when before he would have took the ball to the hole. So his game is obviously changing with age and as his athleticism slows. But his effectivness is just as high as it has always been. And to me, this is how you seperate the guys who can play the game from the guys who are getting by on pure athleticism.

Jordan made a similar transformation to the one Kobe is making now. And it works for both of them because they have develop their jump shot into an unstoppable weapon and they can both close out a game like no other. In contrast, Vince Carter used to get by on pure athletcisim, and now that his athletcism has slowed, it has become obvious that he can't shoot the ball worth a damn. It'll be interesting to see what side of the coin LeBron lands on..and same with Wade. Because right now they are making a living out of being able to get to the basket. So when their athletcism slows like Kobe's is now, they better hope that they have a jumper to fall back on. Or else we will have a few more Vince Carter's on our hands.

maddBat
05-24-2010, 01:23 PM
He is getting older..obviously that is fact. If you watched him when he was younger and if you are watching him now, he is a very different player. He is much more likely to settle for the jump shot now than he was when was 25. he is much more likely to post up his defender, when before he would have took the ball to the hole. So his game is obviously changing with age and as his athleticism slows. But his effectivness is just as high as it has always been. And to me, this is how you seperate the guys who can play the game from the guys who are getting by on pure athleticism.

Jordan made a similar transformation to the one Kobe is making now. And it works for both of them because they have develop their jump shot into an unstoppable weapon and they can both close out a game like no other. In contrast, Vince Carter used to get by on pure athletcisim, and now that his athletcism has slowed, it has become obvious that he can't shoot the ball worth a damn. It'll be interesting to see what side of the coin LeBron lands on..and same with Wade. Because right now they are making a living out of being able to get to the basket. So when their athletcism slows like Kobe's is now, they better hope that they have a jumper to fall back on. Or else we will have a few more Vince Carter's on our hands.

:laugh: hilarious. but it was a sad transition 4 VC (me being a nets fan). i was hoping this was the year he was gonna get a ring. guess not.

sep11ie
05-24-2010, 01:32 PM
I don't think most people are saying that his skills have gone down with his age, but the guy isn't getting older. Kobe is one of my favorite players, and I still have to admit that sooner or later he's going to start showing his age, but think about it, why is Phil Jackson giving him all those rests? So he can keep playing, and he's not just thinking about this postseason, he's thinking about farther into the future.

Kobe isn't ever going to go downhill too much, he'll always be one of the better players in the NBA, simply because of his basketball IQ, but in the next few years he's not going to be the guy that hits every crazy clutch shot. Don't get me wrong, he's still going to put up a good 18-23 PPG, but he's not going to take over games quite as much late in the fourth quarter.

So he's getting younger?:confused:

CowboysKB24
05-24-2010, 01:39 PM
I'm a Celtic fan, but all the "Kobe-is-too-old" talk is getting boring. His team is in the Conference Finals once again, and his shooting percentages are among his career-highs, he only averaged more assist only once, all while playing less than 40 minutes for the first time since 99-00.

His team is doing it with Bynum injured once again, while he is pretty banged up himself.

Bring on the Finals rematch , Beantown vs. Hollywood !!!!

Oh, and on a siden note, would anyone also like to see lineups of Perk, Sheed, KG, Pierce, Ray vs. Bynum, Pau, Odom, Artest, Kobe ? Just for the sake of having so much size on the floor? I know I would

If that is what it is.. Lakers v Boston... it will be insane. And I would love that match up on the court for most of the series, anything that keeps Rondo off the court lol. That is our best squad versus not your best IMO.

CowboysKB24
05-24-2010, 01:42 PM
And Kobe isn't old yet. He is coping with his age better than anyone I have seen. He is still a great player. I think he will fall next year and into the year after that, IDK really though. I am just basing it off of the big 3. At about 33-34 is when things change. Rondo improvements has covered up the big 3's slight fall. It isn't really a bad thing, this team they have right now is healthy and could be better than the team they had when they won the championship. More experience together and mesh real well. They dominating these teams that are "suppose" to be great. The championship year was all 7 game series basically.

Dee_Edge
05-24-2010, 01:55 PM
As much as I love to hate that man...(cause I'm from Houston)
I still know he is the best in the league...

RadiantShot
05-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Kobe is still amazing, in short. I'll be rooting for HIM in the Finals, if they get there. However, I still haven't made up my mind on if I want to root for Boston, or LA. ;)

Dee_Edge
05-24-2010, 01:57 PM
As much as I love to hate that man...(cause I'm from Houston)
I still know he is the best in the league...

...but I'm still going for BEANTOWN!!!

Raoul Duke
05-24-2010, 02:01 PM
He's leveled off physically, but he's smarter than ever, more motivated than ever, and he's probably in as good a shape as anyone who's ever played in the NBA.

You'd have to be a copmplete moron to label him "old and washed up" just because of his birth date. Jordan won three titles after he was 33 yrs old.

1-800-STFU
05-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Kobe is too old.

ballpd05
05-24-2010, 02:08 PM
hes slowed down in certain aspects. he doesnt drive as much as he use 2. his knees sometimes get 2 him. BUT his midrange shot gets him anything he wants. if u giv him 2 much space its buckets in ur face. play 2 tight he'll burn u off the dribble 2 get space n pop it from there. his fadeaway is what makes him almost impossible 2 guard. he has a real high basketball IQ. thats what makes him STILL one of the greatest. :D

This is why he has a lot of production left in him. I think he'll still have his fadeaway until he retires much like Jordan did. If he plays until over 35 or 36 then maybe he will have to switch to more of a second option.

But having Pau Gasol helps, because he doesn't have the world on his shoulders anymore.

bedelato2
05-24-2010, 02:12 PM
The fact of the matter is Kobe is getting old. He has just adjusts his game to his body. Hes the best at it. You can tell he his getting old by the lift he gets on his jump shots. some of his shots seem flat, and he cant jump as high on his jump shots therefore he relys on that fall away. He works hard to improve so we have to give him respect. My question is tho who is D'ing up Rondo? and if Fish gaurds allen, Ray-Ray is running circles around him. Start Brown for the finals.

thephoenixson28
05-24-2010, 02:14 PM
You cant compare the season to the playoffs:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: Why not explain to me. Just as much celtics uped there game, so did the suns. Im not saying the suns would whoop up on the celtics, but they won't be no pushover.

sixerfixer
05-24-2010, 02:21 PM
He's leveled off physically, but he's smarter than ever, more motivated than ever, and he's probably in as good a shape as anyone who's ever played in the NBA.

You'd have to be a copmplete moron to label him "old and washed up" just because of his birth date. Jordan won three titles after he was 33 yrs old.

Ah, the LAST Title Chicago won was in 98, and MJ turned 34 during that season. He won none after that. And after that season in 98, MJ had played 930 NBA games, and the next season he played he fell off dramatically. He went from a 465 shooting % to 41, and his scoring dipped 8 Pts. He retired the very next season. Kobe right now has 920 games played. And if MJ fell off after 930 games, what do you think Kobe will do ? And MJ unlike Kobe had a two year REST away from the game. And MJ was in ALOT better condition, and was physically stronger than Kobe. Look I like Kobe, and I think he can possibly domiante another season. But after 1000 NBA games, and alot more playoff games,,,Kobe IS going to break down.

It has happened to players JUST as good as Kobe will ever be.

madiaz3
05-24-2010, 02:26 PM
one good game than all of the sudden and "kobe is still as his peak." c'mon people. he's had more bad games this whole season than good games. good games from Kobe are a rare occurrence these days.

You could say the same of Garnett and we give them both passes because they were injured and we know it's the playoffs and their true capabilities come out.

kobelaughsatall
05-24-2010, 02:39 PM

one good game? you do realize he had a string of six 30 point games and is currently averaging 32 points against the suns. while he is also averaging 28 points in the playoffs as a whole

JNA17
05-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Kobe is still amazing, in short. I'll be rooting for HIM in the Finals, if they get there. However, I still haven't made up my mind on if I want to root for Boston, or LA. ;)

why root for the team that kicked your ***? Just saying :p

JNA17
05-24-2010, 02:52 PM

noob.

Raoul Duke
05-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Ah, the LAST Title Chicago won was in 98, and MJ turned 34 during that season. He won none after that.

He was born February 17, 1963. He won his fourth ring, and the first of his second three-peat, in 1996.

You'd have to be a copmplete moron...

...to misspell "complete". I suck.

97NYer
05-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Better than ever? No. Towards end of prime I would say.

king4day
05-24-2010, 04:01 PM
I'm not a cocky Celts fan - I though we would struggle w/ MIA, lose to CLE, lose to ORL. If we play the Lakers, I think we lose (I'm a pessimist). But if we play the Suns I think it would be a sweep.

Nah I think boston could make it a series ;)

But seriously, with how dominant Orlando was leading up to this series, crazier things have happend. You're hot one minute and shut down the next.

_KB24_
05-24-2010, 04:20 PM

You must not be watching the playoffs then kid.

DCB/LAL
05-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Kobe isn't the same player he use to be doesn't do all the same things and has tried to evolve his game and he has the guy seems like a bottle of fine wine that gets better with age actually.

smith&wesson
05-24-2010, 04:33 PM
sun vs boston ;) i disagree with that line up rondo is going to make or break the series he controls the tone of the game and without rondo the celtics would be pretty screwed

I agree

rondo is the man in boston why would he ever be benched .. certanly not for size.

smith&wesson
05-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Why not explain to me. Just as much celtics uped there game, so did the suns. Im not saying the suns would whoop up on the celtics, but they won't be no pushover.

boston vs phx series would be the same as orlando vs boston.

phx and orlando arguably have the best offense in the league. Boston has the best defence in the leugue. defence wins always wins.

that being said, im not knocking the suns. they have been my fav team to watch in the playoffs because no on expected them to get this far.

nash & amare are sick!!

ko8e24
05-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Ah, the LAST Title Chicago won was in 98, and MJ turned 34 during that season. He won none after that. And after that season in 98, MJ had played 930 NBA games, and the next season he played he fell off dramatically. He went from a 465 shooting % to 41, and his scoring dipped 8 Pts. He retired the very next season. Kobe right now has 920 games played. And if MJ fell off after 930 games, what do you think Kobe will do ? And MJ unlike Kobe had a two year REST away from the game. And MJ was in ALOT better condition, and was physically stronger than Kobe. Look I like Kobe, and I think he can possibly domiante another season. But after 1000 NBA games, and alot more playoff games,,,Kobe IS going to break down.

Are you high???

MJ retired with the Bulls in 98 after the 6th title....

And then went on to own part of the Washinton Wizards...

And then made a comeback in the 2001-2002 sesaon.

What the hell do you mean "the next season MJ fell off"...

HELLLOOO! He retired!!!!!!!!! He didn't play in the '98-'99 season.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Kakaroach
05-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Kobe has been great all season long, he's proved he still has it and he is still proving it in the playoffs.

heathonater
05-24-2010, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=sixerfixer;13429103]Ah, the LAST Title Chicago won was in 98, and MJ turned 34 during that season. He won none after that. And after that season in 98, MJ had played 930 NBA games, and the next season he played he fell off dramatically. He went from a 465 shooting % to 41, and his scoring dipped 8 Pts. He retired the very next season. Kobe right now has 920 games played. And if MJ fell off after 930 games, what do you think Kobe will do ? And MJ unlike Kobe had a two year REST away from the game. And MJ was in ALOT better condition, and was physically stronger than Kobe. Look I like Kobe, and I think he can possibly domiante another season. But after 1000 NBA games, and alot more playoff games,,,Kobe IS going to break down.

It has happened to players JUST as good as Kobe will ever be.[/QU
:facepalm:

DitchDat
05-24-2010, 05:42 PM
I agree

rondo is the man in boston why would he ever be benched .. certanly not for size.

I'd just like to see all that size on the court at the same time, I know Rondo is the catalyst.

montafan
05-24-2010, 05:52 PM
yeah
that crossover he had on jared dudley was soooooooo tight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNSBWFTkM4k

Bishnoff
05-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Kobe is a machine, but his shot did deteriorate last night as the game wore on. I put this down to his knee as opposed to his age. He did play the entire 2nd half however.

It's not just his scoring; his passing in this series has been amazing.

Squad13
05-24-2010, 05:55 PM

Wow, you sir are a moron.

sp1derm00
05-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Kobe is a machine, but his shot did deteriorate last night as the game wore on. I put this down to his knee as opposed to his age. He did play the entire 2nd half however.

It's not just his scoring; his passing in this series has been amazing.

Kobe's shooting deteriorated because he cooled down for so long on the bench. PJ needs to stop keeping Kobe on the bench for so long. Kobe is younger and in better shape than Nash. Keep Kobe in the game while Nash is off the court and force Gentry to play Nash more.

Bishnoff
05-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Kobe's shooting deteriorated because he cooled down for so long on the bench. PJ needs to stop keeping Kobe on the bench for so long. Kobe is younger and in better shape than Nash. Keep Kobe in the game while Nash is off the court and force Gentry to play Nash more.

Perhaps, but I think playing the whole 2nd half in an up-tempo game with a sore knee would have had some impact on his shooting.

Kobe can play more minutes than Nash, but I wouldn't say that he is in better shape. Nash is a fanatic when it comes to his fitness and diet. Kobe is extremely focused as well however.

Gentry won't play Nash more just because Kobe is on the court. If Dragic is getting it done for us, he will rest Nash at the same points as he does in nearly every game. Personally I'd rather have Dragic on the court when Kobe is on if we are playing man defense since Dragic is a much better defender than Nash and will cover guys like Fisher or Farmar and prevent Kobe finding them for open 3's.

In my opinion, Kobe is still the best player in the game and is a born winner. He constantly plays through injuries and doesn't appear to be slowing down. He can still get any shot he wants, which is pretty damn good for a SG, albeit a 6'6" one. It's much easier for a big guy to get any shot he wants due to size and being able to finish with contact. That's why I hold Kobe in higher regard than LeBron.

stawka
05-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Well if Kobe is still at his prime and we don't know if LeBron has peaked yet (while he is better than Kobe) that says A LOT for that young guy

I never understood the "Kobe is old" talk. Because he doesn't have a 40" vertical and doesn't dunk like he used to, he's not in his prime?

sventhedog
05-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Well if Kobe is still at his prime and we don't know if LeBron has peaked yet (while he is better than Kobe) that says A LOT for that young guy

says a lot for a young guy but doesn't say much for what they are claiming to be the best player. he clearly is ahead if you compare him to young players but he can't match kobe at this point. potential is nothing until it's realized.

honestly, nba media people is fooling not-so-smart fans by always saying that lebron is the best player in the nba. lebron is the best ----in fantasy leagues or video games. although i understand that what their doing is for business/profit.

Nirvanaskurdt
05-24-2010, 07:05 PM
I dont think hes too old :shrug:

He still plays like an MVP caliber player in the nba :)

Bruno
05-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Bryant started off the season shooting a career high FG% while Pau was out. He was having one of his best years ever until the injury. To say Kobe is too old is choosing to ignore the fact that he's been playing injured all season long. Any player, no matter how old will look more frail and less athletic when injured- obviously.

The injury coincides with the fact that he is 31 and has around 1,000 games under his belt, which is why we are even having this discussion-- but to say "he's dropped off" is a statement that should be made when he fails to do what he's always done.

Over the four games sweep of Utah Bryant averaged his second highest FG% in a best of seven ever:

52.3% FG (46/88), 32 ppg, 5.8 apg.
His 128 points on 88 FGA averages out to 1.46 points per shot. Also his 2nd highest p.p.s. in any best of seven where he averaged above 50% FG.

So far in the WCF Bryant is averaging:

32.2 PPG, 9.7 APG, 6.3 RPG, 8 FTA per game, and 51.5% FG shooting (34/66).
Statistically he is dominating and controlling the triangle like never before.

He has lost some athleticism and quickness, but he has become extremely efficient, and he is further developing as a great basketball mind.

Jamiecballer
05-24-2010, 07:56 PM
he's just the best player on a really good team, in my opinion.

michelangelo
05-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Kobe doesn't have the vertical or quickness he used to have: the athletic explosiveness is largely gone. BUT, he still has skill. SKILL. He can actually play the game of basketball (hear me, Dwight? :p).

Plus, he's developed an outstanding mid range jump shot, much like Jordan did.

So it's really not declining athleticism that's the issue right now, as much as it is the accumulation of nagging injuries. If and when he allows himself to heal, he'll be back to being a monster for at least one more season, probably two.

I expect a much steeper decline for LeBron at a similar age as Kobe at the same point in their careers (early 30's): LeBron still ignores his mid range game, and relies very heavily on brute strength, ridiculous speed and superior vertical. The man can play some basketball, but his skillset is inferior to Kobe's (except for passing) when you subtract the crazy athleticism (if that's even possible).

lakersdude
05-24-2010, 08:09 PM
kobe is getting more matured and is nore efficient

shep33
05-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Kobe brings it still... not many players in the league work harder than him, and he's fundamentally sound.

What puts Kobe over the top, love him or hate him, is his WILL to win... unlike so many NBA players who coulda mailed it in after the multitude of injuries he had this year, he kept going.

To me thats why he's the best player in the league IMO... I know, I know i'll get busted up about not saying Lebron, but to me Kobe's intensity puts him over the top.

You can be big, strong, jump high.. but you can't teach the Will to Win, you either have it or don't, and Kobe has it.

TheGsw
05-24-2010, 11:42 PM
:facepalm:

whitemamba33
05-25-2010, 12:02 AM

You do know he played for Washington...right?

lakerboy
05-25-2010, 12:24 AM

You do know he played for Washington...right?

Did he win a championship for Washington? Read his statement again.

lakerboy
05-25-2010, 12:27 AM
BTW MJ was 35 in 98

Raph12
05-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Kobe's still got it, but he has to beat the Celts in the Finals to retain his #1 player in the league position, IMO of course. Beating the inexperienced Thunder, beaten up Jazz and undersized Suns combined, wouldn't be as impressive as beating the Celts in the Finals.

ko8e24
05-25-2010, 02:37 AM
Kobe's still got it, but he has to beat the Celts in the Finals to retain his #1 player in the league position, IMO of course. Beating the inexperienced Thunder, beaten up Jazz and undersized Suns combined, wouldn't be as impressive as beating the Celts in the Finals.

Don't worry, I think he has those damn leprechauns figured out. The Black Mamba will kill all those damn leprechauns! :mad:

Raph12
05-25-2010, 02:39 AM
Don't worry, I think he has those damn leprechauns figured out. The Black Mamba will kill all those damn leprechauns! :mad:

That's not what I'm afraid of, I think Pau will crumble under the physicality of the Celts bigs. He's not a tough player, if Gasol can be Gasol and not Gasoft, I think LA can win it... Kobe can't do everything on his own.

kblo247
05-25-2010, 06:34 AM
Kobe ay 31 has played with the playoffs included:
- 1,209 games
- 44,776 minutes

Plus International Ball for 2 straight years

He brings the age vs miles paradox into great question, and quite honestly even though most will admit he had a down year due to injuries/age/whatever he still produced

27 ppg - on par with his mvp season and above his career average
5 rpg - his career average
5 apg - his career average
2 spg - his career average
46% fg - his career average

He was still mentioned in the discussion of best player in the league behind only Lebron, he won 7 games this year which was the difference between 1st and 8th out west, and his play has elevated in the playoffs.

Lets be real here and say none of us will agree on when he will decline or how steep it will be, but I think we should all give him credit for playing at the level he is at this stage of his career while there are others who came in before, with, and after him who can't say the same about themselves.

His play and our most of the time inflated expectations of him is a testament to just how truly hard he works and how dedicated he is to the sport of basketball, and it is sad to say most won't even know what they are missing until he hangs them up and they begin to ask why isn't this guy or that guy doing the same.

MickeyMgl
05-25-2010, 07:35 AM
one good game than all of the sudden and "kobe is still as his peak."

"One good game"!?!?! Pay attention.

c'mon people. he's had more bad games this whole season than good games. good games from Kobe are a rare occurrence these days.

Oh, I get it now. This is a joke.

MickeyMgl
05-25-2010, 07:42 AM
Ah, the LAST Title Chicago won was in 98, and MJ turned 34 during that season.

35, actually.

Jahari Kavi
05-25-2010, 02:10 PM
still a great player (don't think anyone is denying that) but everyone slows down with age....he can no longer string together multiple 50 point games or go for 80, but he doesn't have to........

Raoul Duke
05-25-2010, 02:16 PM
EDIT: Uselss post, I F%&$ED up and read somebody's response wrong. Please delete this if you're a moderator.

DitchDat
05-26-2010, 02:51 AM
still a great player (don't think anyone is denying that) but everyone slows down with age....he can no longer string together multiple 50 point games or go for 80, but he doesn't have to........

I think he is a more balanced player now if that makes sense. He isn't dunking over people anymore, but he has a great post-up game, racks up assists, shoots the ball better and is well-conditioned. His game has changed, and I think it will allow him to play at a high level for 2 or 3 more years.

_KB24_
05-26-2010, 03:18 AM
He is playing like the best basketball player in the world right now.

whitemamba33
05-26-2010, 03:29 AM
Did he win a championship for Washington? Read his statement again.

No...try to follow this time.

My point is, he played for Washington..which was a TERRIBLE team. You can't really fault him for not winning a championship with this squad. There is nobody in the world that could have gotten that team a trophy...so it's a weak argument against him.

autechre
05-26-2010, 03:40 AM
kobe's still the best player in basketball on most nights. Lebron has the brute strength, and athletic ability. Kobe focuses more on his finesse. They're two different b-ball players that are men amongst boys in man to man play. Growing up watching Jordan though, man was he special. Kobe and Lebron will be known as the new Magic-Bird rivalry for the next few years. Kobe has another solid 4 years of elite basketball to play. Lebron will refine his game and get his championship soon once he gets another great player next to him like kobe's had in shaq, and now gasol.

Jahari Kavi
05-26-2010, 03:57 AM
No...try to follow this time.

My point is, he played for Washington..which was a TERRIBLE team. You can't really fault him for not winning a championship with this squad. There is nobody in the world that could have gotten that team a trophy...so it's a weak argument against him.

the squad was weak yes...but jordan was not the same player in Washington.....not even close...........

ko8e24
05-26-2010, 04:00 AM
With Rondo's recent 9 pts 8 asst brain fart piss poor passive performance in a 96-92 OT home loss to Orlando (where Boston failed to sweep and risked extending the series)....

Kobe Bryant has now officially become the best player of the 2010 NBA playoffs!

kblo247
05-26-2010, 11:37 PM
I was just wondering how he has progressed year by year and round by round in the postseason in his career as well since we can easily find his career season stats and got these numbers for those interested

1998 WCQF: 25.8 MPG 11.3 PPG (42.1 FG% 50.0 3P% 73.3 FT%) 3.0 RPG 3.0 APG 0.25 SPG 1.00 BPG
1998 WCSF: 10.0 MPG 3.7 PPG (50.0 FG% 33.3 3P% 50.0 FT%) 0.7 RPG 0.0 APG 0.33 SPG 0.80 BPG
1998 W.C.F: 21.8 MPG 10.0 PPG (36.7 FG% 0.0 3P% 69.2 FT%) 1.8 RPG 1.0 APG 0.25 SPG 0.50 BPG

1999 WCQF: 37.0 MPG 18.3 PPG (40.9 FG% 36.4 3P% 93.8 FT%) 7.3 RPG 5.8 APG 2.00 SPG 2.00 BPG
1999 WCSF: 41.8 MPG 21.3 PPG (44.7 FG% 33.3 3P% 68.4 FT%) 6.5 RPG 3.5 APG 1.75 SPG 0.50 BPG

2000 WCQF: 38.6 MPG 27.8 PPG (49.6 FG% 33.3 3P% 77.8 FT%) 4.4 RPG 3.6 APG 1.20 SPG 0.60 BPG
2000 WCSF: 37.2 MPG 21.0 PPG (45.2 FG% 15.4 3P% 73.0 FT%) 3.8 RPG 3.4 APG 2.00 SPG 1.40 BPG
2000 W.C.F: 43.1 MPG 20.4 PPG (43.9 FG% 52.2 3P% 72.5 FT%) 4.9 RPG 5.9 APG 1.57 SPG 2.14 BPG
2000 Finals: 35.2 MPG 15.6 PPG (36.7 FG% 20.0 3P% 90.9 FT%) 4.6 RPG 4.2 APG 1.00 SPG 1.40 BPG

2001 WCQF: 39.7 MPG 25.0 PPG (48.1 FG% 33.3 3P% 75.0 FT%) 4.3 RPG 7.7 APG 2.33 SPG 0.0 BPG
2001 WCSF: 43.3 MPG 35.0 PPG (47.3 FG% 20.0 3P% 86.4 FT%) 9.0 RPG 4.3 APG 1.25 SPG 0.50 BPG
2001 W.C.F: 42.0 MPG 33.3 PPG (51.4 FG% 35.7 3P% 76.9 FT%) 7.0 RPG 7.0 APG 1.50 SPG 0.75 BPG
2001 Finals: 46.8 MPG 24.6 PPG (41.5 FG% 33.3 3P% 84.2 FT%) 7.8 RPG 5.8 APG 1.40 SPG 1.40 BPG

2002 WCQF: 44.0 MPG 26.0 PPG (35.3 FG% 40.0 3P% 82.8 FT%) 5.7 RPG 5.0 APG 2.00 SPG 1.67 BPG
2002 WCSF: 43.8 MPG 26.2 PPG (45.5 FG% 23.1 3P% 58.1 FT%) 5.4 RPG 4.8 APG 1.00 SPG 0.20 BPG
2002 W.C.F: 43.9 MPG 27.1 PPG (41.9 FG% 36.8 3P% 79.6 FT%) 6.3 RPG 3.9 APG 1.43 SPG 1.14 BPG
2002 Finals: 43.8 MPG 26.8 PPG (51.4 FG% 54.5 3P% 80.6 FT%) 5.8 RPG 5.3 APG 1.50 SPG 0.75 BPG

2003 WCQF: 45.2 MPG 31.8 PPG (43.0 FG% 35.7 3P% 86.5 FT%) 5.2 RPG 6.7 APG 1.33 SPG 0.0 BPG
2003 WCSF: 43.3 MPG 32.3 PPG (43.4 FG% 44.1 3P% 78.8 FT%) 5.0 RPG 3.7 APG 1.00 SPG 0.17 BPG

2004 WCQF: 44.4 MPG 24.4 PPG (38.6 FG% 21.1 3P% 90.9 FT%) 5.6 RPG 6.2 APG 2.80 SPG 0.20 BPG
2004 WCSF: 44.2 MPG 26.3 PPG (46.2 FG% 32.0 3P% 73.2 FT%) 6.3 RPG 5.8 APG 1.67 SPG 0.17 BPG
2004 W.C.F: 42.5 MPG 24.3 PPG (41.4 FG% 26.7 3P% 75.0 FT%) 4.0 RPG 5.5 APG 1.50 SPG 0.33 BPG
2004 Finals: 46.2 MPG 22.6 PPG (38.1 FG% 17.4 3P% 92.0 FT%) 2.8 RPG 4.4 APG 1.80 SPG 0.60 BPG

2006 WCQF: 44.9 MPG 27.9 PPG (49.7 FG% 40.0 3P% 77.1 FT%) 6.3 RPG 5.1 APG 1.14 SPG 0.43 BPG

2007 WCQF: 43.0 MPG 32.8 PPG (46.2 FG% 35.7 3P% 91.9 FT%) 5.2 RPG 4.4 APG 1.00 SPG 0.40 BPG

2008 WCQF: 39.3 MPG 33.5 PPG (50.0 FG% 33.3 3P% 73.7 FT%) 5.3 RPG 6.3 APG 1.50 SPG 1.50 BPG
2008 WCSF: 41.2 MPG 33.2 PPG (49.1 FG% 20.8 3P% 83.3 FT%) 7.0 RPG 7.2 APG 0.83 SPG 0.17 BPG
2008 W.C.F: 40.2 MPG 29.2 PPG (53.3 FG% 33.3 3P% 90.9 FT%) 5.6 RPG 3.8 APG 1.60 SPG 0.0 BPG
2008 Finals: 43.0 MPG 25.7 PPG (40.5 FG% 32.1 3P% 79.6 FT%) 4.7 RPG 5.0 APG 2.67 SPG 0.17 BPG

2009 WCQF: 40.6 MPG 27.4 PPG (46.6 FG% 35.3 3P% 89.7 FT%) 5.0 RPG 5.6 APG 2.40 SPG 0.40 BPG
2009 WCSF: 38.0 MPG 27.4 PPG (45.3 FG% 34.4 3P% 83.3 FT%) 5.0 RPG 3.7 APG 2.00 SPG 1.29 BPG
2009 W.C.F: 42.0 MPG 34.0 PPG (48.1 FG% 34.4 3P% 93.1 FT%) 5.8 RPG 5.8 APG 0.83 SPG 0.50 BPG
2009 Finals: 43.8 MPG 32.4 PPG (43.0 FG% 36.0 3P% 84.1 FT%) 5.6 RPG 7.4 APG 1.40 SPG 1.40 BPG

2010 WCQF: 36.8 MPG 23.5 PPG (40.8 FG% 42.9 3P% 72.1 FT%) 4.0 RPG 4.3 APG 1.33 SPG 0.33 BPG
2010 WCSF: 41.0 MPG 32.0 PPG (52.3 FG% 25.0 3P% 86.8 FT%) 3.8 RPG 5.8 APG 0.75 SPG 0.75 BPG
2010 W.C.F: 41.5 MPG 33.8 PPG (55.7 FG% 46.2 3P% 89.3 FT%) 6.5 RPG 9.8 APG 0.75 SPG 0.75 BPG

Couldn't find 97 numbers by round so if anyone has them please add them.

kimchi'sworld
05-27-2010, 01:36 AM
With Rondo's recent 9 pts 8 asst brain fart piss poor passive performance in a 96-92 OT home loss to Orlando (where Boston failed to sweep and risked extending the series)....

Kobe Bryant has now officially become the best player of the 2010 NBA playoffs!

I disagree. Kobe played well the last 2 games but the Lakers didn't win. Pau Gasol is the best player on the Lakers team in this years play-offs. He's stunk it up last 2 games, but it seems when the offense is carried through him the Laker's are unstoppable.