PDA

View Full Version : Cavs coach Mike Brown fired

ElFuturoDeESPN
05-24-2010, 02:39 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5213917

The Cleveland Cavaliers have fired Mike Brown, a source close to the head coach told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

The Cavaliers had a midnight deadline on Sunday to fire the coach or pay him his full $4.5 million salary for next season.

Cleveland was ousted from the playoffs two weeks ago by the Boston Celtics, who upset the NBA's top regular-season team in six games.

Unexpected after what management said last week. Who replaces him?

AI4MVP
05-24-2010, 02:41 AM
came in here to post this u beat me to it! anyways. ill be interested to see who they bring in. ***** really falling apart in cleveland

abe_froman
05-24-2010, 02:43 AM
ehh,we had threads on it happening so much only to find out it didnt,so i'm gonna wait before i believe/react this time

ldc62
05-24-2010, 02:45 AM
Who wants to replace him? A lebron-less Cavs team is worse than garbage since a team with him is garbage.

Bulls_fan90
05-24-2010, 02:46 AM
ehh,we had threads on it happening so much only to find out it didnt,so i'm gonna wait before i believe/react this time

He's done. Tonight was the deadline to fire him. No way they want to pay him 4.5mill next season.

MaHaRaJaH
05-24-2010, 02:48 AM
They should get Phil Jackson, lol

BradyIsTheMan12
05-24-2010, 03:02 AM
He wasn't a bad coach or a good coach so whatever. I have no clue what their next step will be though, they need to make a splash in time to get Lebron to stay on board in my opinion.

montybeasty
05-24-2010, 03:11 AM
Good...

B.JenningsMVP
05-24-2010, 03:15 AM
if they want Bron to stay, PAT RILEY imo haaa

xBLAMEITON24x
05-24-2010, 03:26 AM
it was only a matter of time, somebody had to be the scapecoat for the cavs effortless play

soonabooma
05-24-2010, 03:32 AM
It was long overdue. He pretended to be a coach for too long and the whole world believed it. He slipped through the system, that's all. He's like that really dumb kid at school that cheats his way through, and then they eventually find out he's a fraud who can barely spell his own name. But it finally caught up to him. I hope he enjoys his next gig saying "welcome to Taco Bell, can I take your order please?"

Spurred1
05-24-2010, 03:35 AM
They'll hire whoever LBJ wants-this may be an attempt to placate him and get him to stay. Granted, the Cavs FO will have to make other moves aside from this.
Is Pat Riley interested in returning to coaching? Does he want to coach a team other than the Heat?
Why does Avery Johnson come to mind?

ttomea
05-24-2010, 03:38 AM
Not really unexpected, as I figured he would be canned this offseason. Not a matter of if, in my opinion, but just a matter of when, and it looks like the time has come.

Anyway, I am a student at American University entering my sophomore year this fall and am writing for the American University television station's sports blog at sportszone.auatv.com. I'm trying to build my readership and would encourage you guys, the ProSportsDaily readers, to head over and check out my post on the '09-10 Cavs. I'd like to hear your comments/thoughts/criticisms/likes/ dislikes on my post and future posts all throughout the summer. I am new to this site, and look forward to contributing posts in the future. I feel you guys would be interested in my latest post. Feel free to contact me on this site or through my email, tylertomea@gmail.com. Thanks a bunch and keep making this site what it is- I look forward to hearing from you and your thoughts!

AI4MVP
05-24-2010, 03:49 AM
Not really unexpected, as I figured he would be canned this offseason. Not a matter of if, in my opinion, but just a matter of when, and it looks like the time has come.

Anyway, I am a student at American University entering my sophomore year this fall and am writing for the American University television station's sports blog at sportszone.auatv.com. I'm trying to build my readership and would encourage you guys, the ProSportsDaily readers, to head over and check out my post on the '09-10 Cavs. I'd like to hear your comments/thoughts/criticisms/likes/ dislikes on my post and future posts all throughout the summer. I am new to this site, and look forward to contributing posts in the future. I feel you guys would be interested in my latest post. Feel free to contact me on this site or through my email, tylertomea@gmail.com. Thanks a bunch and keep making this site what it is- I look forward to hearing from you and your thoughts!

ill def look into it. good for u man

PrettyBoyJ
05-24-2010, 04:00 AM
The Best thing that happen for them this season was firing him.. He was never a good coach.. and def relied on LBJ to get him out of jams.. he was like LBJ big fat cheerleader on the sideline wanted to hug him after evry play.. Im happy they got rid of him they needed a coach tht wasnt afraid to tell Lebron what to do..

AsfanSince99
05-24-2010, 04:05 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5213917

Unexpected after what management said last week. Who replaces him?

Larry Brown?

PHX2daDEATH
05-24-2010, 04:12 AM
^~~~~~ thats what i thought too they tried to get him awhile back but he couldnt get out of contract or something.....Whats the Calipari mess im hearing about LeBron wanting him to be his coach?.. Calipari cannot coach in the NBA i think he proved that 10 years ago

Jahari Kavi
05-24-2010, 04:23 AM
didn't know a lick about offense and had horrible rotations.............Mike would be a nice assistant, but not a guy you want as a head coach to lead you to the promised land.

abe_froman
05-24-2010, 04:25 AM
^~~~~~ thats what i thought too they tried to get him awhile back but he couldnt get out of contract or something.....Whats the Calipari mess im hearing about LeBron wanting him to be his coach?.. Calipari cannot coach in the NBA i think he proved that 10 years ago

calipari and lebron are close and are connected under the same guy,worldwide wes.where calipasri goes(if its back in the nba)thats where lebron goes

_KB24_
05-24-2010, 05:04 AM
Who the hell is going to want to go to Cleveland of all places to a potential Lebron-less Cavaliers team? Is their a suicide clause? LOL ;)

jackdawson
05-24-2010, 05:19 AM
I really hope LeBron stays put even though I am not a cavs fan. Cavs will be destroyed without the King.

sventhedog
05-24-2010, 07:15 AM
captain obvious. i thought they were going to fire lebron.

kingkenny01
05-24-2010, 07:32 AM
have mj be the coach forget owning a team
jk
they really should get duke coach, coach k

spoonhoops
05-24-2010, 09:15 AM
The Cavs need a bigger name to get LeBron to come back so I believe it is a good move.

Melo15
05-24-2010, 09:19 AM
I think they have to get someone like Coach K to convince LeBron to stay.

todu82
05-24-2010, 09:48 AM
They need a coach who has won in this league. If Phil Jackson leaves L.A. maybe they could convince him to go to Cleveland.

aperichak
05-24-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm hearing Lenny Wilkins' name in there right now.

akay47
05-24-2010, 11:09 AM
**** Lenny Wilkins..

Phil Jackson, Byron Scott, Coach K, Mike Budenholzer or Jeff Van Gundy.

Too bad the 76ers already took Doug Collins, I'd love to have him

JOSKOMANG4
05-24-2010, 11:19 AM
I hope the Nets get Mike Brown to be their new HC

CrotchetyOldMan
05-24-2010, 11:34 AM
HOORAY!!!!! Lebron or no the Cavs might finally run an offensive play...I'd actually love to see Jeff Van Gundy...He seems like the only guy with enough experience and clout that IS AVAILABLE!!!...Obviously I'd love to see Phil Jackson but i guarantee that won't happen, Coach K is not leaving Duke, Pat Riley is not leaving the Heat, and LBJ does not like Larry Brown, and I hope to god they are not considering Calipari...He is a great college recruiter not a great coach...I can't think of anybody else Lebron would play for and respect the resume enough to be coached as opposed to adored...so in the end I hope we see JVG and LBJ winning the ECF...

RaptorizedKevin
05-24-2010, 11:35 AM
pat riley. get rid of delonte too.

BOSTON617
05-24-2010, 11:41 AM
The Best thing that happen for them this season was firing him.. He was never a good coach.. and def relied on LBJ to get him out of jams.. he was like LBJ big fat cheerleader on the sideline wanted to hug him after evry play.. Im happy they got rid of him they needed a coach tht wasnt afraid to tell Lebron what to do..

this!!!!!!!!

Infamous916
05-24-2010, 11:44 AM
It was long overdue. He pretended to be a coach for too long and the whole world believed it. He slipped through the system, that's all. He's like that really dumb kid at school that cheats his way through, and then they eventually find out he's a fraud who can barely spell his own name. But it finally caught up to him. I hope he enjoys his next gig saying "welcome to Taco Bell, can I take your order please?"

:clap::clap:

PostingMachine
05-24-2010, 11:52 AM
The only surprise about this was that it took the Cavs this long to fire him. Was it just me or was all the LeBron was different talk the same with Mike Brown except most of the playoffs?

He's usually a much more involved coach than the staring off into space coach that he was, especially in the Boston series, but maybe that's just me. Now I'm a Pacers fan, and there's been some rumblings on radio sports talk shows, and on message boards that after the Pacers' current coach Jim O'Brien's contract runs out, they might turn and go after Mike Brown. That definitely is interesting, and I guess I want to put another discussion question out there for you guys, how would Mike Brown do with the Indiana Pacers if he ended up there?

GSW Hoops
05-24-2010, 11:55 AM

Kinda harsh for a 60-win coach...though he probably isn't qualified to be an NBA head coach.

dukejazz
05-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Mike brown was a good coach for them and brought them there best winning seasons ever. Should not of been fired because lebrawn doesnt know how to win a championship.

champ101695
05-24-2010, 12:06 PM
its about time. It shouldve been sooner.

beasted86
05-24-2010, 01:17 PM
This is Erik Spoelstra if he remains the Miami Heat head coach.

He will similarly just never get it done, even though he's a good defensive coach.

NBAfan4life
05-24-2010, 01:23 PM
I think any proven coach will want to wait to know if Lebron is back before they sign. An unproven coach one that is not for sure to be able to get a job will take before they know if Lebron will be back.

RipVW
05-24-2010, 01:26 PM
The only surprise about this was that it took the Cavs this long to fire him. Was it just me or was all the LeBron was different talk the same with Mike Brown except most of the playoffs?

He's usually a much more involved coach than the staring off into space coach that he was, especially in the Boston series, but maybe that's just me. Now I'm a Pacers fan, and there's been some rumblings on radio sports talk shows, and on message boards that after the Pacers' current coach Jim O'Brien's contract runs out, they might turn and go after Mike Brown. That definitely is interesting, and I guess I want to put another discussion question out there for you guys, how would Mike Brown do with the Indiana Pacers if he ended up there?

Thats an excellent question. The more time someone thinks about leaving, you have to worry about them arriving at a point where theyve already left, emotionally or whatever...if that hasnt happened already.

I remember seeing Gilberts end of season press conference where he seemed bemused by the idea that they were in a LeBron sweepstakes and also Gilbert seemed to reluctant that the franchise is about one guy. And he mentioned how theyll be doing their due diligence and so forth. But when you have a player of James' caliber who is considering leaving, this due diligence mantra starts to seem a little naive. Gilbert really seemed to want to down play the urgency of moving on this in order to hold the position that its about the organization more than one player. Again, you have to wonder if this wasnt a little naive because in the meantime, LeBron may have moved on.

hugepatsfan
05-24-2010, 01:27 PM
He was Lebron's puppet. Nothing more.

Dee_Edge
05-24-2010, 01:31 PM
...now release Delonte West & hire Byron Scott!

IN THAT ORDER!!!

ShakeN'Bake
05-24-2010, 02:12 PM
he was lebron's puppet. Nothing more.

+1

Melo15
05-24-2010, 02:39 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself.

RaiderLakersA's
05-24-2010, 04:10 PM
I thought he would have been fired last year, to be honest. I'm not saying that Mike Brown was a bad coach, but it was clear to me that the Cavs weren't going to get to that next level with him at the helm. Coaching matters, even if you have one of the top 2 best players on your squad.

Who replaces him? Larry Brown in Cleveland makes sense to me, whether LeBron stays or not. Byron Scott isn't a possibility, because he is more of a staunch disciplinarian in the Pat Riley mold. All of the clowning around that the Cavs do with LeBron would end and LBJ would be put on notice: "Win and cut out all of the shenanigans. This isn't your team any more. It's my team." No sure LBJ (if he were to stay) would sign on for that.

Finally, as for Phil Jackson, he won't go to Cleveland, with or without LeBron. You'd have to know Phil and his disdain -- at this point in his career -- of smallish markets.

smith&wesson
05-24-2010, 04:27 PM
its about time. mike brown is a terrible coach. his offence consist of "passs it to lebron"

Kakaroach
05-24-2010, 04:27 PM
It was expected. I thought they were gonna fire him after last year's loss, but this year should have been no doubt.

Now I expect them to go after a big marquee coach. Avery Johnson perhaps?

Yanks All Day
05-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Calipari won't leave UK and Coach K won't leave Duke. Phil Jackson sure wouldn't leave LA unless there was a guarantee that LeBron will be a Cav. Coaching wise, I think the Cavs are down to options D, E rather than A,B.

Player wise, even if they are to retain LeBron, they still lack long, athletic big men to compete with the C's and Magic and a legitimate #2 option. Mo and Jamison are too streaky. I have said it before. They should have pulled the Amar'e deal. That's a legit #2 right there.

Bottom line, LeBron or not, the Cavs have some problems.

soonabooma
05-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Kinda harsh for a 60-win coach...though he probably isn't qualified to be an NBA head coach.

The dude was a smelly coach. Forget about the wins, he never proved he could actually coach. He was blessed with the most freakish player in the league and a DECENT supporting cast that was capable of playing well when their star would get them going. They made that fool look much better than he really was. He never made one bit of difference when it really mattered. He got his butt outcoached when they really needed him. If you want a good comparison....think Brad Childress of the Vikings.

:dance:

td0tsfinest
05-24-2010, 04:41 PM

+ 1

Lebron needs a coach, not a pal.

MJ-BULLS
05-24-2010, 05:00 PM
terrible coach. expected.

Sixerlover
05-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Very expected. But knowing the NBA coaching carousel he'll get a head coaching spot somewhere else sometime in the next month.

carterrose
05-24-2010, 05:06 PM
who replaces him?

TheWatcher34
05-24-2010, 05:59 PM
who replaces him?

it will depend on LeBron's FA decision

Akshay
05-24-2010, 06:03 PM
If LeBron James stays, Ferry will try his best to get a Callipari type coach. If he goes, all hope will probably be lost and they'll hire a Eddie Jordan type coach.

RaiderLakersA's
05-24-2010, 06:03 PM
I have said it before. They should have pulled the Amar'e deal. That's a legit #2 right there.

Agree. But hindsight is...

SeoulBeatz
05-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Brown was a P.O.S coach. He let Lebron control the team. he treated him like a friend, and in the end it backfired. a coach has to be able to keep a player in line. u can be friendly, but Mike brown literally rode lebrons dick throughout their time together.

i cant stand the guy, he's just blatantly an idiot.

MrFastBreak
05-24-2010, 06:34 PM
He unnecessarily scrambled his usage patterns and shook up a team that was doing fine already, plus they prolly think firing him might increase Bron's chances of staying.

ChiCityNuffSaid
05-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Brown was a P.O.S coach. He let Lebron control the team. he treated him like a friend, and in the end it backfired. a coach has to be able to keep a player in line. u can be friendly, but Mike brown literally rode lebrons dick throughout their time together.

i cant stand the guy, he's just blatantly an idiot.
Yeah he was a dick rider but can u blame him? He can't coach 4 **** & all I hear 2day is Jalen Rose saying how he won 60 gms back 2 back yrs so what? He a regular season coach & he kept saying how great he was LOL!!! put this fool on another team & watch him blow up cause he doesn't have James as an option n e more. I can't stand his press conferences, thankfully no more of those. The Cavs need more than a coach, how about some players that aren't old & that can play. I'm sorry but VARE***** is an overrated player wait when James leaves how his stats will go down significantly. Noah better than him with an average cast, imagine if he has other good big men around him in the future :p

Bishnoff
05-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Ha! Didn't he win Coach of the Year a couple of seasons ago? I think the Cavs will have a hard time finding a better coach. Or maybe he didn't deserve that award...

JWO35
05-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Another "Coach of the Year" fired

If you win this award its basically a warning you're going to get fired within 2yrs...

SaimoNETS
05-24-2010, 06:58 PM
I hope the Nets get Mike Brown to be their new HC

No, just...no. Avery Johnson>>>>>>Mike Brown

Dawgpound3
05-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Wow, what a surprise!(sarcasm)
http://www.gifsoup.com/view/343112/shockedkitty-o.gif

Mikey Brown flat out lost that team during game 3 and could not recover it.

PLAYERS FAN
05-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Y all people are idiots! Last time I check he coached a far less talented team that went to the Finals! Mike Brown is a great defensive coach!

SaimoNETS
05-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Y all people are idiots! Last time I check he coached a far less talented team that went to the Finals! Mike Brown is a great defensive coach!

They also had a guy named LeBron James

xabial
05-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Maybe its not him maybe the team didnt have enough talent and he did all he could do

StickyGreenFan
05-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Who wants to replace him? A lebron-less Cavs team is worse than garbage since a team with him is garbage.

thats not true at all. cavs are an excellent team.... till playoffs start lol

iFYouSeekAmy
05-24-2010, 09:48 PM
Warriors fire Don Nelson.
Warriors hire Avery Johnson or Byron Scott or Keith Smart.
That's if Uncle Larry buys the team already.. Dammit Larry.

Cleveland hires Nellie. Rofl. Good luck with Small Ball. No threat intended.