PDA

View Full Version : Having Fun a bad idea?

_KB24_
05-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Interesting discussion I had with a couple of my office buddies during lunch today. We had somewhat of a heated debate over how in recent times the teams that generally like to have fun and fool around, can't win on the biggest stage of them all. Teams like this Orlando team and Cleveland team are very talented and good squads, with great guys on both teams, but seem to crumble when it counts. I remember the Kings earlier in the decade loved to have fun as well, with their pre-game rituals and bench antics(used to hate it as a Lakers fan), and they never won a ring.

Teams like the 04 Pistons and Spurs were always what I like to call "business-oriented" teams who were always serious it seemed, even in practices. The Lakers and Celtics also fit into this mold with both teams always, always saying to themselves that they are going to win a ring these past 3 years.

Do you guys agree that it is somewhat of a knock to have too much fun for a team?

RapOZo
05-23-2010, 11:48 PM
you don't have to be fooling around to enjoy your game, stay focus, you are on a mission, is a job after all. you gotta keep your con-posture no matter how good you are.

stupid rituals and clown dances.

what is that good for?

Absolutely Nothing!

IAmKira
05-23-2010, 11:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5DzoRnu3jA
Enough said.

gwrighter
05-23-2010, 11:51 PM
You can have fun but it all comes down to focus in the end. Every day the players in the nba practice, but they only practice for lets say 2-4 hours per day. the other 22-20 hours in the day they come into contact with people that try to influence them in different ways. I think it all comes down to who can be focused enough through all 82 games and the playoffs.

ChiSox219
05-23-2010, 11:55 PM
The most fun I ever had around basketball was on a team that overachieved and beat multiple teams that were more talented and experienced.

But that's only High School, NBA is a different animal.

The Celtics are healthy with fairly fresh legs, not to different from the 07-08 team except Rondo and Perkins have developed. As much as I hate the Celtics, they don't get enough credit.

_KB24_
05-23-2010, 11:56 PM
Not to mention you can look like total asswipes when you do lose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ncabVB_X0Q

streetballa
05-24-2010, 12:00 AM
I think the reason they fail is because they try to be something they are not. Lebron, Howard, and others tried to flip a switch from fun to serious that was not there. They get too focused on being focused they get uncomfortable.

Players and team need to be who they are and not change, if it wins you 50+ games in the regular season, why **** with the formula.

tredigs
05-24-2010, 12:06 AM
Interesting discussion I had with a couple of my office buddies during lunch today. We had somewhat of a heated debate over how in recent times the teams that generally like to have fun and fool around, can't win on the biggest stage of them all. Teams like this Orlando team and Cleveland team are very talented and good squads, with great guys on both teams, but seem to crumble when it counts. I remember the Kings earlier in the decade loved to have fun as well, with their pre-game rituals and bench antics(used to hate it as a Lakers fan), and they never won a ring.

Teams like the 04 Pistons and Spurs were always what I like to call "business-oriented" teams who were always serious it seemed, even in practices. The Lakers and Celtics also fit into this mold with both teams always, always saying to themselves that they are going to win a ring these past 3 years.

Do you guys agree that it is somewhat of a knock to have too much fun for a team?

That Kings team was the best team in the league, and got completely ****ed out of that Western Conference Finals. Bad example.

Lebron doesn't dance or even really smile in the playoffs, probably another poor example. The Magic are playing a team that is much better than them, so it's tough to say whether Dwight truly lacks the competitive fire in this case, though I think that he probably does.

_KB24_
05-24-2010, 12:11 AM
That Kings team was the best team in the league, and got completely ****ed out of that Western Conference Finals. Bad example.

Lebron doesn't dance or even really smile in the playoffs, probably another poor example. The Magic are playing a team that is much better than them, so it's tough to say whether Dwight truly lacks the competitive fire in this case, though I think that he probably does.

That one series for the Kings doesn't discount for the rest of their playoff disappointment. I know your an older cat so you as long as I both remember the "mentally weak" label they got. You can't deny that.

As for Bron and Orlando, I could care less about their attitude in the playoffs. The point was if having too much fun and fooling around throughout a season could prove to be detrimental for you in the end. It looks that way right now for both of them.

Sixerlover
05-24-2010, 12:11 AM
I think it has to do with the mindset more than having fun. I'm sure Boston is "having fun" by beating the crap out of the Magic, they just aren't dancing and taking air pictures to show their fun. As long as a team is winning they are having fun. The professionalism is what your bringing into question, and that is mindset. Which also comes with age. LeBron and Dwight are the leaders of those two teams you mentioned and both are so young, and have a different mentality than a Kobe, Paul Pierce, KG or Ray Allen.

Before I begin to rant, it's all about mindset and maturity.

Korman12
05-24-2010, 12:15 AM
In the NBA, yeah.

MLB - no.
NFL - most of the time.

hugepatsfan
05-24-2010, 12:15 AM
I think it has to do with the mindset more than having fun. I'm sure Boston is "having fun" by beating the crap out of the Magic, they just aren't dancing and taking air pictures to show their fun. As long as a team is winning they are having fun. The professionalism is what your bringing into question, and that is mindset. Which also comes with age. LeBron and Dwight are the leaders of those two teams you mentioned and both are so young, and have a different mentality than a Kobe, Paul Pierce, KG or Ray Allen.

Before I begin to rant, it's all about mindset and maturity.

Well said.

Public Enemy #1
05-24-2010, 12:16 AM
you don't have to be fooling around to enjoy your game, stay focus, you are on a mission, is a job after all. you gotta keep your con-posture no matter how good you are.

stupid rituals and clown dances.

what is that good for?

Absolutely Nothing!

Don't know how to spell composure do you? wow :facepalm:

I expect nothing more from a Laker fan...

ryder78c
05-24-2010, 12:16 AM
the big there first title they were havin fun the pistons championship team was always havin fun lakers with shaq and there 3peat they was havin fun it doesnt matter about fun it jus matters if the fun ruins your game

ryder78c
05-24-2010, 12:18 AM

naw he ment con-posture its when a prison inmate slouches con-posture lol

RaptorizedKevin
05-24-2010, 12:19 AM

they didnt win it because that game was hella fixed. its all david sterns fault and his qoute" it would be in e veryones best interest if there was a game seven" the lakers got to the line 40 times and kobe knocks down bibby and bleeds and they dont call a foul? like wtf. it was all rigged. idc waht anyone says, the kings really deserved to win david stern jsut wanted game 7 to get a high tv rating, so more money for him,

RapOZo
05-24-2010, 12:24 AM

whoa, i saw that coming, didnt know, thank you for teaching me
english is my third language so is always like this with some words.

I apologize!
please dont shoot!

ryder78c
05-24-2010, 12:28 AM

I apologize!
please dont shoot!

hahaaa i thought it was funny dont apologize con-posture you just made up a new word im gonna say alot now hahahaaaa

IAmKira
05-24-2010, 12:38 AM

I apologize!
please dont shoot!

:guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:
Call the Arizona Police department!!

_KB24_
05-24-2010, 12:39 AM
they didnt win it because that game was hella fixed. its all david sterns fault and his qoute" it would be in e veryones best interest if there was a game seven" the lakers got to the line 40 times and kobe knocks down bibby and bleeds and they dont call a foul? like wtf. it was all rigged. idc waht anyone says, the kings really deserved to win david stern jsut wanted game 7 to get a high tv rating, so more money for him,

I've already said that they still couldn't win besides that series. We already know Donaghy's little "transactions". But unfair or not, they were deemed mentally soft back then.