PDA

View Full Version : How the Nets Could Sabotage the Knicks

jmastert
05-23-2010, 04:58 PM
How the Nets Could Sabotage the Knicks' Plan for LeBron James

Chris Sheridan writes Sunday about a perfectly plausible plan that could sabotage the Knicks' plan to sign LeBron James and another free agent while improving their own roster at the same time.

Sheridan notes the news that Chris Bosh would welcome a sign-and-trade with the Knicks. The likeliest scenario, he writes, would be Bosh for David Lee. "Presumably, James would tell the Knicks who he would want to play alongside him, and if James asks for Bosh, the Knicks really have no choice but to go along," he opines. The Knicks could at that point offer Lee a sweet deal, say "a six-year deal with a $10 million starting salary and 10.5 percent annual raises, which would add up to nearly $76 million, and then trade him to Toronto".

But he suggests Rod Thorn could throw a monkey wrench into the mix. "Imagine the Nets told Lee: 'Look, David. We are willing to give you a five-year contract with a $13 million starting salary with 8 percent annual raises (which adds up to $75.4 million), but we need an answer in the next hour. You going to take it? Or leave it?'" If Lee accepted, the Nets would still have enough cap space to sign a maxed out player...and Bosh would be unlikely to accept $30 million less to sign as a free agent with the Knicks. It'd also make New York less attractive for LeBron.

Far-fetched? Thorn once gave Mikki Moore a half-hour to decide on an offer and the Suns made Steve Nash such an offer in 2004.

If this went down and the Nets have the ability to sign a max free agent id say this play is a home run. Considering Lee is the 2nd or 3rd best player to surround Lebron James according to John Hollinger.

Tblaze
05-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Well, I kind of doubt Toronto would like to add such a big contract with the length of 6 years to their payroll for lee...

Robbw241
05-23-2010, 05:43 PM
I wouldn't be against signing Lee completely but I don't want to give him anything close to a max.

$KnicksAndKobe$
05-23-2010, 05:44 PM
If it's about more money then he will stay in Toronto.
If he wants a potential contending team in a great city, then he will want a S&T or just sign.

But,

Toronto won't help Bosh S&T if there gonna get crap back from the Bulls or anyone else, I can only see them being interested in players they like that can also benefit them like Lee from the Knicks or Bynum from the Lakers.

Bosh has the power though to just sign with any team who has the cap room, but if he wants a S&T for more money then Toronto is in control with a decision as well on players they want or might as well be better off letting him go then take a bad contract.

joe j.09
05-23-2010, 06:01 PM
nets would be screwing themselves....if they want to get to nba championship level, theyll be worried about themselves, not what the knicks do!

igPay atinLay
05-23-2010, 06:15 PM
If it's about more money then he will stay in Toronto.
If he wants a potential contending team in a great city, then he will want a S&T or just sign.

But,

Toronto won't help Bosh S&T if there gonna get crap back from the Bulls or anyone else, I can only see them being interested in players they like that can also benefit them like Lee from the Knicks or Bynum from the Lakers.

Bosh has the power though to just sign with any team who has the cap room, but if he wants a S&T for more money then Toronto is in control with a decision as well on players they want or might as well be better off letting him go then take a bad contract.

Most money made in the NBA for top players is endorsement money both in the States and intentionally. Guys who make the playoffs regularly sell more jersey and get more endorsements than players that don't. Players that are in the conference and league finals and win titles make a ton of money on endorsements and jersey sales internationally.

If Bosh goes to a team and wins a ton of games and has a ton of playoff success that will open up China that literally has as many NBA fans as we do citizens in our the United States, than you factor in Europe and the Unites States a guy like Kobe can make almost as much money as we wants or could imagine in endorsement money.

While its true Toronto could offer Bosh the highest base he certainly wouldn't make us money playing for with limited success in Toronto than he would playing along side Wade, Lebron, or with the young guys in Chicago.

I know there is an article out there about the international endorsement money that top stars and players on championship teams gets and if I come across it than I'll post the link....If anyone else knows what I'm talking about than please post it...I think it was from espn.com but I could be wrong.

thescore53
05-23-2010, 06:27 PM
i rather let bosh walk then get lee for 10 mill 6 year deal

Slimsim
05-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Screw NY more Knick Hate. I'm starting to Hope LBJ goes to the Bulls. With or without LBJ the Knicks would be a much better team . Let see how many people will be excited to see Rose and LBJ post every other millisecond starting the new season.

AddiX
05-23-2010, 06:29 PM
This guy should be banned from writing for this. I don't think I've ever read something so stupid and outlandish in my life.

SluggeR
05-23-2010, 06:40 PM
why give lee all that scratch when the nets can just draft favors? that would be alot of money being issued to the PF position.

JOSKOMANG4
05-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Maybe it's me, but I honestly believe David Lee is worth 10-12 million per season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/leeda02.html

As you can see, in the past 2 seasons, he's put up 20 PPG & 12 Rebounds per game. He's a great fit in a fast pace offseason scheme; similar to what Phoenix plays.

If I were the Knicks:

1) I think the Knicks can work out a S&T w/the Suns to get A'Mare Stoudamire in exchanged for david Lee

2) Sign SG Joe Johnson 5yr 82.5 mill(16.5 mill per season).

3) Maybe a trade of bad contracts: Knicks can offer the Bulls the expiring contract of Eddie Curry(C) in exchanged for SG/PG K.Hinrich(3 yrs remaining). I honestly believe the Bulls would take this deal b/c with salary off, they can renegotiate a contract with star PG D.Rose.

4) Sign PF Al Harrington to the MLE.

5) With 2 2nd rd picks, the Knicks can draft a future PF & PG

My picks:

Stanley Robinson, PF UConn & PG S.Reynolds, Villanova.

Lineup Outlook:

C) A'Mare / J.Collins(FA Signing)
PF) Al Harrington/ S.Robinson(rookie)
SF) D. Gallarari / W.Chandler(6th man) / B.Walker
SG) J.Johnson / T.Douglass / Jr Giddens
PG) K.Hinrich / S.Rodriguez / S.Reynolds

IMO, they would not only contend in the Eastern Conference, but possible the Atlantic Division as well. I say 4-5th seed.

maddBat
05-23-2010, 06:54 PM
why give lee all that scratch when the nets can just draft favors? that would be alot of money being issued to the PF position.

exactly. but there are other teams that can "sabatoge" the knicks. basically whoever gets lee "sabatoges" the knicks.:shrug:

PatelJ1010
05-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Maybe it's me, but I honestly believe David Lee is worth 10-12 million per season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/leeda02.html

As you can see, in the past 2 seasons, he's put up 20 PPG & 12 Rebounds per game. He's a great fit in a fast pace offseason scheme; similar to what Phoenix plays.

If I were the Knicks:

1) I think the Knicks can work out a S&T w/the Suns to get A'Mare Stoudamire in exchanged for david Lee

2) Sign SG Joe Johnson 5yr 82.5 mill(16.5 mill per season).

3) Maybe a trade of bad contracts: Knicks can offer the Bulls the expiring contract of Eddie Curry(C) in exchanged for SG/PG K.Hinrich(3 yrs remaining). I honestly believe the Bulls would take this deal b/c with salary off, they can renegotiate a contract with star PG D.Rose.

4) Sign PF Al Harrington to the MLE.

5) With 2 2nd rd picks, the Knicks can draft a future PF & PG

My picks:

Stanley Robinson, PF UConn & PG S.Reynolds, Villanova.

Lineup Outlook:

C) A'Mare / J.Collins(FA Signing)
PF) Al Harrington/ S.Robinson(rookie)
SF) D. Gallarari / W.Chandler(6th man) / B.Walker
SG) J.Johnson / T.Douglass / Jr Giddens
PG) K.Hinrich / S.Rodriguez / S.Reynolds

IMO, they would not only contend in the Eastern Conference, but possible the Atlantic Division as well. I say 4-5th seed.

:facepalm::laugh::laugh::laugh::violin:

wow No comment