PDA

View Full Version : Jameer Nelson's playmaking

ayuntalo
05-23-2010, 02:46 PM
i have watched some games and i feel like with nelson running the point, the offense in orlando seems to be going no where..:confused:

he calls for a pick and then after moving through the pick, he will just pick up the ball and look to pass around the perimeter (away to the basket)..

i mean come on..is that good playmaking??
if i was a big man like howard i will not be wasting my energy and risking my fouls on setting up picks for nelson because he doesnt do anything with the pick..:mad:

just wanted to know if you guys like how he is running the point in orlando..
or would you prefer jayson williams/anthony johnson/reddick..

RadiantShot
05-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Mmm. Nelson is good for us right now. He's not the best play-maker, but he does drive, and he's a great shooter. Solid from the line, and he's got a great relationship/chemistry with Dwight. I think we need to focus on the SG/PF spots..

shep33
05-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Van Gundy made a great point that I agree with... Nelson is not a great passer for a pg. I like him as a player but playmaking for other guys is not his strongpoint. But that doesn't mean he doesn't create offense, i actually think he's been there best player off the dribble in this series either attacking or creating space for a jumper.

ko8e24
05-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Jameer needs to work on his point guard skills during the offseason, but he has a bright future in NBA and with the Orlando Magic's organization. Dwight MUST work with Hakeem and stop doing McDonald's commercials and 3rd rate class basketball movies during the summertime. He's not Shaq where he can improve his game and still be Mr. Hollywood all at the same time. No more clownin around, grow the **** up, and stay in the gym 24/7. Eat and sleep there if you have to Dwight! And no more working with Patrick fatbutt Ewing, gotta work with the Dream. The 2x NBA CHampion.

thekmp211
05-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Mmm. Nelson is good for us right now. He's not the best play-maker, but he does drive, and he's a great shooter. Solid from the line, and he's got a great relationship/chemistry with Dwight. I think we need to focus on the SG/PF spots..

he has been effective, no doubt. but i see his success in the mold of ben gordon in 2009. he really is a scorer first and foremost. this team really needs a guy who can create and get things moving. i really dont like turkoglu but at least he could run the pick-and-roll. nowhere to be seen with rashard and nelson/vc. you have to imagine they'd be running it if they felt it worked well, but they aren't and that really hurts lewis in particular.

ayuntalo
05-23-2010, 02:59 PM

how often is that?
doesnt he tend to just stop after going thru a pick most of the time?
i've seen your other posts and felt like most of the time we have the same view..but perhaps not on this one..

but yeah, he is a good shooter, kinda remembered the stretch where he was their best scorer last year during the 3rd (or 4th quarter..sorry im not sure)

Stunner
05-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Nelson and 2 1st round picks for Devin Harris?

RadiantShot
05-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Nelson and 2 1st round picks for Devin Harris?

I don't even think we have first round picks. I'm pretty sure we traded them. I'd probably do it, but I'd miss Jameer a LOT. I don't want to give him up yet. I really don't.

RadiantShot
05-23-2010, 03:05 PM
how often is that?
doesnt he tend to just stop after going thru a pick most of the time?
i've seen your other posts and felt like most of the time we have the same view..but perhaps not on this one..

but yeah, he is a good shooter, kinda remembered the stretch where he was their best scorer last year during the 3rd (or 4th quarter..sorry im not sure)

He's a great jumpshooter, but he does drive. He turns on a dime, cuts corners, and gets to the basket pretty easily. I'd say it's 60/40. He takes the shot 60% of the time, and drives the other 40%.

Sports Illustrator
05-23-2010, 03:06 PM
I do think the Magic would be a better team with a better play making point guard. Don't get me wrong, he is skilled but with all of the offensive weapons that the team has, I think he should be a little bit better to say the least.

ayuntalo
05-23-2010, 03:11 PM
I do think the Magic would be a better team with a better play making point guard. Don't get me wrong, he is skilled but with all of the offensive weapons that the team has, I think he should be a little bit better to say the least.

this! a great point guard utilizes most the weapons he has

ayuntalo
05-23-2010, 03:15 PM
He's a great jumpshooter, but he does drive. He turns on a dime, cuts corners, and gets to the basket pretty easily. I'd say it's 60/40. He takes the shot 60% of the time, and drives the other 40%.

sorry but...what im saying is..
when he calls for a pick..
how often does he make a move towards the basket or try to get a shot?
i feel like after he takes the pick he just stops to pick up the ball..he does that most of the time..putting no pressure on the defense..

RadiantShot
05-23-2010, 03:20 PM
sorry but...what im saying is..
when he calls for a pick..
how often does he make a move towards the basket or try to get a shot?
i feel like after he takes the pick he just stops to pick up the ball..he does that most of the time..putting no pressure on the defense..

He does, but what I'm saying is, he's extremely capable of driving. He doesn't always do it, but he's great at driving. Probably the best at penetrating on the Magic.

While I do agree a pass-first point-guard might be better suited for this team, I'm not sure letting Jameer go NOW would be in our best interest. I still really think Jameer can turn it up. He just started heating up in the Playoffs, and I have a feeling he'll be like that all of next season. I'm still sticking with him.

Big Quett
05-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Jameer needs to work on his point guard skills during the offseason, but he has a bright future in NBA and with the Orlando Magic's organization. Dwight MUST work with Hakeem and stop doing McDonald's commercials and 3rd rate class basketball movies during the summertime. He's not Shaq where he can improve his game and still be Mr. Hollywood all at the same time. No more clownin around, grow the **** up, and stay in the gym 24/7. Eat and sleep there if you have to Dwight! And no more working with Patrick fatbutt Ewing, gotta work with the Dream. The 2x NBA CHampion.

What? He is 28 and this is his 6th season in the league. He pretty much is all he is going to be right now

ayuntalo
05-23-2010, 03:31 PM
He does, but what I'm saying is, he's extremely capable of driving. He doesn't always do it, but he's great at driving. Probably the best at penetrating on the Magic.

While I do agree a pass-first point-guard might be better suited for this team, I'm not sure letting Jameer go NOW would be in our best interest. I still really think Jameer can turn it up. He just started heating up in the Playoffs, and I have a feeling he'll be like that all of next season. I'm still sticking with him.

so whats the sense of having the skill if you wont show it???

but i agree with you..i think nelson can turn it up BUT HE HAS TO!!
i also believe nelson is the leader of this team..composure wise..
i mean look at dwight...tick tacky fouls..too kind for a big man (seems like)
look at vince..always has a tired-lazy-quitting look (im a fan of he and he's cousing btw)

Sadds The Gr8
05-23-2010, 03:34 PM

Hakeem is already takin by Al Jefferson. lol

thescore53
05-23-2010, 03:35 PM
hmmm this kinda makes me want hedo more

kEviN21
05-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Jameer does just as good as Fisher put it as that lol

RadiantShot
05-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Jameer does just as good as Fisher put it as that lol

Haha. Be quiet. That's not funny.

RadiantShot
05-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Hakeem is already takin by Al Jefferson. lol

In the mean-time, while Al Jefferson is hitting the weights, Dwight can have him. ;)

RaptorizedKevin
05-23-2010, 04:03 PM
yu guys need turkoglu for your playmaking. give us back vc :D

RadiantShot
05-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Stop with the Hedo comments. It's your guys fault for signing him for 5 years, to a huge contract.

carter15
05-23-2010, 04:08 PM

Listen, everyone looked good early in the playoffs, but EVERYONE looks crap now. I know you don't like VC and he's easy to single out because you don't like him like the other guys since he's new to the team. But Nelson has been every bit as bad as VC has this series, but it's hard to judge guys just from this series since everyone has been just awful, so I don't know. But there's no defense for Jameer's play on either end of the court during this series, he's been terrible just like to rest of the team.

RadiantShot
05-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Listen, everyone looked good early in the playoffs, but EVERYONE looks crap now. I know you don't like VC and he's easy to single out because you don't like him like the other guys since he's new to the team. But Nelson has been every bit as bad as VC has this series, but it's hard to judge guys just from this series since everyone has been just awful, so I don't know. But there's no defense for Jameer's play on either end of the court during this series, he's been terrible just like to rest of the team.

I didn't even bring the Playoffs into the equation. Why'd you just come in, and randomly throw Vince into this. That's why arguments start.

RaptorizedKevin
05-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Stop with the Hedo comments. It's your guys fault for signing him for 5 years, to a huge contract.

fine. imo though turkoglu would be a better fit though.

RadiantShot
05-23-2010, 04:12 PM
fine. imo though turkoglu would be a better fit though.

Well, so be it. Hedo's not getting any younger, and I know you guys will be pissed once you get Vince back.

carter15
05-23-2010, 04:14 PM
I didn't even bring the Playoffs into the equation. Why'd you just come in, and randomly throw Vince into this. That's why arguments start.

Because I was quoting ur thing saying we need work on our SG/PF positions and not PG.

RadiantShot
05-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Because I was quoting ur thing saying we need work on our SG/PF positions and not PG.

I guess, but Vince has been terrible this whole season. I didn't even care much about the regular season, but Vince has been stinking it up in the Playoffs, even though you guys preached, "He's saving it for the Playoffs." I don't know what Playoffs you're talking about. The one he didn't show up to. Nelson's been just fine. He's scored, and done his thing. He may not have made many plays, but hey, he's doing his job, and pretty damn well. Vince was suppose to be "That guy" and he's not.

carter15
05-23-2010, 04:30 PM
I guess, but Vince has been terrible this whole season. I didn't even care much about the regular season, but Vince has been stinking it up in the Playoffs, even though you guys preached, "He's saving it for the Playoffs." I don't know what Playoffs you're talking about. The one he didn't show up to. Nelson's been just fine. He's scored, and done his thing. He may not have made many plays, but hey, he's doing his job, and pretty damn well. Vince was suppose to be "That guy" and he's not.

It you think Vince sucked this year your crazy. He had a rough start, but in the 2nd half of the year and during that stretch we went 28-3 he was playing great. 18-19 PPG on 50% shooting, I don't know what else you want considering we were blowing teams out. Against the Bobcats he didn't really show up, against the Hawks he was very very good. This series he's been pretty crap, but as I said EVERYBODY has. Nelson hasn't been scoring this series, he hasn't been playmaking and hasn't been playing D. Dude you know I respect you and I'm not some random poster from PSD, but the fact is EVERYONE is being shut down this series. Nobody is playing close to 50% of what they should. And before this everything was great. Vince wasn't playing at a superstar level but since Febuary he had been 50% shooting and about 19 PPG. And Nelson tore it up the first 2 rounds, but now simply nothing is working and nobody get's a free pass for what they did vs. Atlanta or the Bobcats. Nobody is getting it done now, not Nelson, not Vince, not Dwight and certainly not Shard.

With that being said, I'm not giving up until we lose the 4th game. I've seen how all our guys can play, if they just come around one of these days I still have faith.

RadiantShot
05-23-2010, 04:34 PM
It you think Vince sucked this year your crazy. He had a rough start, but in the 2nd half of the year and during that stretch we went 28-3 he was playing great. 18-19 PPG on 50% shooting, I don't know what else you want considering we were blowing teams out. Against the Bobcats he didn't really show up, against the Hawks he was very very good. This series he's been pretty crap, but as I said EVERYBODY has. Nelson hasn't been scoring this series, he hasn't been playmaking and hasn't been playing D. Dude you know I respect you and I'm not some random poster from PSD, but the fact is EVERYONE is being shut down this series. Nobody is playing close to 50% of what they should. And before this everything was great. Vince wasn't playing at a superstar level but since Febuary he had been 50% shooting and about 19 PPG. And Nelson tore it up the first 2 rounds, but now simply nothing is working and nobody get's a free pass for what they did vs. Atlanta or the Bobcats. Nobody is getting it done now, not Nelson, not Vince, not Dwight and certainly not Shard.

With that being said, I'm not giving up until we lose the 4th game. I've seen how all our guys can play, if they just come around one of these days I still have faith.

Fair enough, but still, Vince isn't close to what you guys made him out to be. If there was one thing I'd want Vince to do well, it's get us buckets when we needed them in the Playoffs. I don't even care if we skate through the regular season with Vince as a major negative, I only care if he plays well, and performs to the best of his ability during the times that it matters, and he hasn't done it, so that's why he's being bashed.

And as for me, I'm not giving up, even if we lose the fourth game. Always stick by Orlando.

carter15
05-23-2010, 04:41 PM
Fair enough, but still, Vince isn't close to what you guys made him out to be. If there was one thing I'd want Vince to do well, it's get us buckets when we needed them in the Playoffs. I don't even care if we skate through the regular season with Vince as a major negative, I only care if he plays well, and performs to the best of his ability during the times that it matters, and he hasn't done it, so that's why he's being bashed.

And as for me, I'm not giving up, even if we lose the fourth game. Always stick by Orlando.

I expected him to be able to make the big buckets, I expected Rashard to be able to get more then 5 points a game, I expected Dwight to be a force down low. I know Vince hasn't lived up to expectations, but I'm just saying nobody has in this series. He played a solid game 1 and we lost, nothing he could have done in game 3 would have changed anything, he did choke in game 2 however. But overall, it's just our overall team that has choked and fallen apart and I did not expect any of it to happen.

And if we are eliminated, I still don't think we should blow it up. We won 59 games with all the injuries this year and the adjustements to new players. We just need work on our offense, I still think we can beat anyone, it's just one of those series'. I think people are over-exagerating a bit because it's in the moment, and how we've been beaten. But let's not forget what this team accomplished to this point. With Lebron probably leaving and the Celtics older again and Ray Ray and Pierce in FA, why should we blow it up? But that's getting a bit off topic here. Let's win game 4 first :D.

francium34
05-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Nelson is pretty good for his contract, if I remember correctly. No great point guards are on the market. (If you can get Paul, everyone would agree to blow up the team, but it's not possible) The Magic should find a way to get another creator/play maker that can pass the ball around. Sadly, that's basically Hedo, but he was getting old, and wanted a big contract.
I;m not saying you should have kept Hedo, but finding a replacement for him is the way to go. Carter is just a different type of player.

RadiantShot
05-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Nelson is pretty good for his contract, if I remember correctly. No great point guards are on the market. (If you can get Paul, everyone would agree to blow up the team, but it's not possible) The Magic should find a way to get another creator/play maker that can pass the ball around. Sadly, that's basically Hedo, but he was getting old, and wanted a big contract.
I;m not saying you should have kept Hedo, but finding a replacement for him is the way to go. Carter is just a different type of player.

Don't know if Paul is completely out of the question, but he sure is close to it.

Raph12
05-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Definitely needs to go or hit the bench, he's not a good passer and don't bring up the assist numbers, even VC had high assist numbers his whole career, when you handle the ball as much as those guys do/did, it's hard not to get assists.

We need a pass-first, defensive-minded point, someone like Hinrich to control the offense.

thescore53
05-23-2010, 08:37 PM

not its bc's fault, we had nothing to do with it :)

nbafan63
05-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Nelson is not your #1 or #2 option. The problem is your #1 and #2 option, which is Dwight and VC

Shadee
05-23-2010, 08:49 PM
He is just too short to have the vision to make some passes and isn't a great passer.

He is a great scorer but needs a playmaker like Hedo to play alongside him.

gwrighter
05-23-2010, 09:17 PM
i'm not sure if there is a place for jameer nelson in the starting five, his lack of playmaking is really hurting the whole team. The magic need a true ball handler, Hedo was obviously that guy in the past. nelson would play well along side guys like, Hedo, Iguadala and Lebron james. Guys that can distribute as well as score. Jameer can defend better then most pg's which is his upside. This might be the right time to trade jameer, i would assume his trade stock would be high right now as he has proven is ability to score the ball.

RadiantShot
05-23-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm so sick of hearing about Hedo. Sick, sick, SICK.

nbafan63
05-23-2010, 09:22 PM

Why? because he was your teams best player and you guys let him walk to pick up a washed up VC? lol. HEDO HEDO HEDO...WOOT WOOT WOOT!!

thescore53
05-23-2010, 09:22 PM

ball...... i got nothing else to say

RadiantShot
05-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Why? because he was your teams best player and you guys let him walk to pick up a washed up VC? lol. HEDO HEDO HEDO...WOOT WOOT WOOT!!

Hedo wasn't our best player. We picked up a washed-up Vince Carter, who did basically the same thing Hedo did, and now has a smaller contract. Oh, don't forget, Hedo signed with Toronto for a whopping 60 Million Dollar Contract, for 5 years. Have fun T-Dot!

PostingMachine
05-23-2010, 09:27 PM
He's never been a playmaker, and probably never will be, but he is one of the most fundamentally sound point guards in the entire NBA. Not many guys his height especially can balance scoring and passing the same as Nelson, and that does fit very well with Orlando.

I don't think you can say that they should get a different PG simply because this series hasn't been his best. If any team needs a point guard change looking at one series, it's probably Mo Williams for the Cavs, he always disappears in the postseason.

Nelson hasn't been the only one to not show up. Think about Howard (who hasn't really played all that strong all postseason), Rashard Lewis, and even the bench guys like Macin Gortat and JJ Redick....it's not Nelson, in fact he practically carried the Magic in a couple games in the second round.

Overall I see what your saying about his playmaking ability, but not many point guards are blessed with that talent. Steve Nash, Rajon Rondo (who is really making you see it because he is one of the best playmakers in the league, and your watching him compared to Nelson), Jason Kidd, Derrick Rose, Deron Williams, Chris Paul, and there's a couple more, but there are only a handful of actual playmaking point guards in the NBA. Just don't give up on him because he isn't a Rajon Rondo type of player, he's still a very good NBA point guard.

RadiantShot
05-23-2010, 09:28 PM
I agree with PostingMachine.

nbafan63
05-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Hedo wasn't our best player. We picked up a washed-up Vince Carter, who did basically the same thing Hedo did, and now has a smaller contract. Oh, don't forget, Hedo signed with Toronto for a whopping 60 Million Dollar Contract, for 5 years. Have fun T-Dot!

What Hedo did was help set up the offense efficiently for Dwight and other players. Hedo also was clutch. What VC does is take difficult difficult shots one after another and force nelson to become a true pg play maker. Smaller contract or not, he was one of the puzzle to last yrs success. He did more arguably than your #1 paid player in Shard, so salary is irrelevant in this argument.

AddiX
05-23-2010, 09:31 PM
VC is a cancer, hes like a bigger Stephon Marbury.

The guy simply does whatever he wants. Even when he was with Jason Kidd he didn't excel the way most athletic players do when they are receiving passes from Kidd.

There's not a person in the arena who knows what VC is going to do when he gets the ball including VC.

nbafan63
05-23-2010, 09:33 PM
VC is a cancer, hes like a bigger Stephon Marbury.

The guy simply does whatever he wants. Even when he was with Jason Kidd he didn't excel the way most athletic players do when they are receiving passes from Kidd.

There's not a person in the arena who knows what VC is going to do when he gets the ball including VC.

dude...what are you talking about? Everyone knows what he is going to do!!
He is going to take a bad shot!! :clap:

gwrighter
05-23-2010, 10:16 PM
He's never been a playmaker, and probably never will be, but he is one of the most fundamentally sound point guards in the entire NBA. Not many guys his height especially can balance scoring and passing the same as Nelson, and that does fit very well with Orlando.

I don't think you can say that they should get a different PG simply because this series hasn't been his best. If any team needs a point guard change looking at one series, it's probably Mo Williams for the Cavs, he always disappears in the postseason.

Nelson hasn't been the only one to not show up. Think about Howard (who hasn't really played all that strong all postseason), Rashard Lewis, and even the bench guys like Macin Gortat and JJ Redick....it's not Nelson, in fact he practically carried the Magic in a couple games in the second round.

Overall I see what your saying about his playmaking ability, but not many point guards are blessed with that talent. Steve Nash, Rajon Rondo (who is really making you see it because he is one of the best playmakers in the league, and your watching him compared to Nelson), Jason Kidd, Derrick Rose, Deron Williams, Chris Paul, and there's a couple more, but there are only a handful of actual playmaking point guards in the NBA. Just don't give up on him because he isn't a Rajon Rondo type of player, he's still a very good NBA point guard.

He still is an above avg. pg no doubt, its just that he cant make the same passes that hedo can make to dwight because of his size. with out the ball movement its easier for the celtics to shut down the magic's 3 point shooting because jameer can't jet a pass from one side to the opposite side of the court over the defense like hedo can.(just an example) I knew it was a bad idea to sign vince, the man hasnt worked hard a day in his life.

ldc62
05-23-2010, 10:19 PM
His play making is avg at best... if a guy is open, he could obviously hit him with a good pass; but he can't envision the open guy before the guy totally gets open. His D is pretty bad, but he has Dwight. Magic need a pass first PG who can also hit open shots.

gwrighter
05-23-2010, 10:21 PM
His play making is avg at best... if a guy is open, he could obviously hit him with a good pass; but he can't envision the open guy before the guy totally gets open. His D is pretty bad, but he has Dwight. Magic need a pass first PG who can also hit open shots.

hmm, how about jose calderone? ;), he can do both...

PostingMachine
05-23-2010, 10:24 PM
I don't see why you guys are mixing up Nelson with Carter. Vince Carter has been the only one that I've really seen playing decently well consistently for the Magic, and so what if he forces up a bad shot? Is anyone else making anything? The answer is no, and Carter has worked extremely hard to get to where he is, just honestly, when nothing else is working, every player that plays ball is going to jack up some shots. Granted, VC does jack up more than most, but don't get on him to simply because the series is going bad, he's been a huge addition all year, and everyone slamming him in this thread knows it.

RadiantShot
05-23-2010, 10:25 PM
hmm, how about jose calderone? ;), he can do both...

From what I've heard, and correct me if I'm wrong, don't you guys NOT like Calderon? Just wondering. I've heard many Raptors fans said they don't necessarily like Calderon. I wouldn't give up Nelson for Calderon. I just couldn't do that.

bagwell368
05-23-2010, 10:30 PM
The man is not a PG. He is a very short SG in a PG sized body, hence the way he is used. He is not a Championship caliber PG, not at all.

gwrighter
05-23-2010, 10:33 PM
From what I've heard, and correct me if I'm wrong, don't you guys NOT like Calderon? Just wondering. I've heard many Raptors fans said they don't necessarily like Calderon. I wouldn't give up Nelson for Calderon. I just couldn't do that.

I can't speak for every raptor fan but i can help generalize it for you.

We don't mind calderone, its just that on our team right now, it seems that him and Hedo can't coexist very well together. They are both great playmakers who need the ball in their hands to produce. The raptors have bad defense and he isnt a very gifted defender because he lacks lateral quickness. This year though, Calderone and Amir Johnson have been playing excellent together in the pick and role. i think the magic can benefit from his playmaking abilities and his low assist to turnover ratio.

RadiantShot
05-23-2010, 10:38 PM
I can't speak for every raptor fan but i can help generalize it for you.

We don't mind calderone, its just that on our team right now, it seems that him and Hedo can't coexist very well together. They are both great playmakers who need the ball in their hands to produce. The raptors have bad defense and he isnt a very gifted defender because he lacks lateral quickness. This year though, Calderone and Amir Johnson have been playing excellent together in the pick and role. i think the magic can benefit from his playmaking abilities and his low assist to turnover ratio.

I see what you mean. Do you think Calderon could ever be a back-up Point-guard, because this season, Jason Williams will probably leave. He's made it apparent. We'll need another young guy, because Anthony Johnson is still a bit old. Would there be any possibility of a S&T including him?

RadiantShot
05-23-2010, 10:39 PM
The man is not a PG. He is a very short SG in a PG sized body, hence the way he is used. He is not a Championship caliber PG, not at all.

Not to be subjective or anything, but nobody thought Derek Fisher was a Championship point-guard either, but he surely has had his fair-share. All I'm saying is, the point-guard position isn't the only position, and I think Jameer plays well for his role on the team.

gwrighter
05-23-2010, 11:01 PM
I see what you mean. Do you think Calderon could ever be a back-up Point-guard, because this season, Jason Williams will probably leave. He's made it apparent. We'll need another young guy, because Anthony Johnson is still a bit old. Would there be any possibility of a S&T including him?

Yeah, Jose Calderone is an excellent back-up PG. I don't think he minds being in that position as well. He is a great team player. Jose is an expensive player but in the right situation i think he could be really effective. i think he makes about 8mil next season. In terms of a S&T, i think that it would not work if your talking about packaging him with bosh. Bosh would be a max player and orlando wouldnt be willing to give up 28mil in contracts that the raptors could use in other trades right. the guys u dont want are VC and rashard and we couldnt really use them in trades.

hugepatsfan
05-24-2010, 01:01 AM
Not to be subjective or anything, but nobody thought Derek Fisher was a Championship point-guard either, but he surely has had his fair-share. All I'm saying is, the point-guard position isn't the only position, and I think Jameer plays well for his role on the team.

If Jameer had Kobe and Shaq/Pau he would be championship caliber.

RadiantShot
05-24-2010, 10:17 AM
If Jameer had Kobe and Shaq/Pau he would be championship caliber.

Okay, then you're basically contradicting yourself.

GodsSon
05-24-2010, 10:30 AM
This is where the Magic miss Turk...Jameer is best served as a pure scorer with someone else facilitating the offence, something that Turk had mastered off the high screen and roll with Dwight...With that said, I offer Turkoglu for Carter straight up

ballpd05
05-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Jameer Nelson is a scorer. JVG pointed that out and the more I noticed it from then on. He does a poor job of anticipating the open man, looking off defenders, and probing the defense. He is an explosive scorer though, but I think ^ hit it on the head. Turkoglu was the real point guard of last years team, and now because he's gone it has forced Jameer to try and make plays.

In the half court the magic can't get a quality shot because they do not have a guy who can get others open shots off the dribble. Vince was supposed to do that but he looks old and just takes fadeaway after fadeaway.

PostingMachine
05-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Turkoglu was the real point guard of last years team because Nelson was hurt! I mean seriously, this is just sad to see you guys all of the sudden turning on him just because the series is a blow-out fest for Boston.

Nelson probes the defense more than most point guards do, just watch him drive to the middle of the lane, circle around, and then keep doing that, and then hitting an open shooter. It's kind of hard to make amazing plays with a team that stands around the perimeter and then Dwight Howard who posts everyone up.

I'm not saying that Nelson is a flashy point guard, because he's not, but I don't think you can say that he isn't a point guard, that's just not knowing what your talking about. No offense but if you think Nelson is more of a shooting guard than a point guard, then you need to go back and watch some game film....because obviously you haven't been paying attention to how he runs the Magic.

ballpd05
05-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Turkoglu was the real point guard of last years team because Nelson was hurt! I mean seriously, this is just sad to see you guys all of the sudden turning on him just because the series is a blow-out fest for Boston.

Nelson probes the defense more than most point guards do, just watch him drive to the middle of the lane, circle around, and then keep doing that, and then hitting an open shooter. It's kind of hard to make amazing plays with a team that stands around the perimeter and then Dwight Howard who posts everyone up.

I'm not saying that Nelson is a flashy point guard, because he's not, but I don't think you can say that he isn't a point guard, that's just not knowing what your talking about. No offense but if you think Nelson is more of a shooting guard than a point guard, then you need to go back and watch some game film....because obviously you haven't been paying attention to how he runs the Magic.

A number of point guards do that. Watch Steve Nash, Darren Williams, and Chris Paul play. They are deadly in the pick and roll because once they run it they create a play somewhere. Either they score or hit the roll man, and if the weakside helps then they hit a 3 point shooter.

Jameer Nelson in this series is proving that he has trouble making the right decision at the right time or finding the open man. He is still a great player and better than alot of PGs out there, but he is still a scoring point guard. Either that or not a very good playmaking one. Good playmakers get those guys standing on three point line good shots, making a team pick their poison. To be a great playmaker you have to make a team decide how to beat you stay home and kill his man or help and have my shooters/roll man finish my plays.

So far the magic have not been able to manufacture great offense because of the lack of a playmaker. In the first series versus the Bobcats Jameer was killing Felton being the explosive scorer he is, then in the ATL series Dwight was on a different level (all the while the rest of the team is cashing threes). Since no one has shown they can really beat their man or read the pick and roll D the Magic have struggled. That and they are playing suspect D.

RadiantShot
05-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Key words : In this series.