PDA

View Full Version : Cubs 25-man Trade Value Rankings

Buckcub
05-23-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm bored. If I was the GM of another club (I hear the Pirates are hiring...), how would I rate the trade value of the 25 members of the current Chicago Cubs? This is based on age, contract and ability level as evaluated by me, Buckcub. First is who I would give the most for, and so on. I think this kinda stuff's interesting so I'd love to get some contrary opinions.

Position Players
1. Castro-no doubt he would bring the most back
2. Soto
3. Byrd
4. Colvin
5. Ramirez
6. Lee
7. Fukudome
8. Theriot
9. Soriano
10. Nady
11. Baker
12. Fontenot
13. Hill

Pitchers
1. Marmol
2. Wells
3. Zambrano
4. Dempster
5. Lilly
6. Gorzelanny
7. Stevens
8. Marshall
9. Grabow
10. Russell
11. Silva
12. Howry

I copped out and made two lists... sue me.

Colvin may be too high, but which would you rather have, Colvin for three years at $400,000 (then arbitration) or Ramirez for $15.75 mil this year and a player option for $14.6 mil next?

Stevens is another tough one. He's probably too low, but I can't imagine him going for better specs than an established major league starter (except Silva).

The cubs have quite a few prospects that are more valuable than their highly paid current players, but that would make things too complicated. This was tough enough.

Resources to tell me I'm wrong.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-cubs_112114177768677294.html

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/team/roster_active.jsp?c_id=chc

Jilly Bohnson
05-23-2010, 02:57 PM
I think your rankings are off a bit because of contracts. For instance Soriano, maybe our best player, has an awful contract, so he's probably last. Similar for Zambrano.

Ron!n
05-23-2010, 03:03 PM
I think your rankings are off a bit because of contracts. For instance Soriano, maybe our best player, has an awful contract, so he's probably last. Similar for Zambrano.
Id actually say its the opposite. I could definitely see Soriano getting us something good in return based on his performance.

zambo4president
05-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Id actually say its the opposite. I could definitely see Soriano getting us something good in return based on his performance.

I agree. Soriano's a big name, trade him to a contender and we could get a nice return.

Jilly Bohnson
05-23-2010, 03:09 PM

We'd have to eat a lot of money. If we did, then yes we'd get a lot back, but I think making someone pay the whole 70 something million he's still owed would mean we wouldn't get much in return player-wise. At least that's how I see it.

Buckcub
05-23-2010, 03:24 PM
One of the things that made this list tough is considering that different players have different values to teams based on the size of the market. If Boston or the Dodgers decided that Soriano'd be an interesting pick up they might give something decent to get him, since money isn't an object. If the royals were looking for OF help though, he wouldn't even be considered. If the right team is buying, I think he could net more than Cub fans expect. Exact same argument with Z, but Z's contract isn't nearly as bad and he's younger. If he's on the market I can't imagine that SOMEONE wouldn't bite. Hard.

Buckcub
05-23-2010, 03:40 PM
We'd have to eat a lot of money. If we did, then yes we'd get a lot back, but I think making someone pay the whole 70 something million he's still owed would mean we wouldn't get much in return player-wise. At least that's how I see it.

I know we prolly wouldn't get much back (I mean, I had him 9th) but do you really think we could get more for Baker or Fonty than Sori at this point? The contract isn't forever anymore. It's through 2014 at $18 per. So it's 4 yrs, 72mil after this season. BAD, but he's still a good player (excepting a few months last year). I think he'd net more than Nady would, even if that's not saying much.

I respect your knowledge, but disagree.

CubsFanSwope
05-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Just bring k-wood back as set up

Jilly Bohnson
05-23-2010, 05:22 PM
I know we prolly wouldn't get much back (I mean, I had him 9th) but do you really think we could get more for Baker or Fonty than Sori at this point? The contract isn't forever anymore. It's through 2014 at $18 per. So it's 4 yrs, 72mil after this season. BAD, but he's still a good player (excepting a few months last year). I think he'd net more than Nady would, even if that's not saying much.

Yeah, I mean obviously we can't know, but I think that no one would take Soriano's contract unlesss we either paid for it or all they had to give up in players was minor league roster filler. But I think some of the other guys, while they wouldn't bring back much, they'd bring back something.

Again though you're right this is a definite agree to disagree situation because we just really have no way of knowing.

Kirel
05-23-2010, 05:24 PM

I would guess that, right now, the only way you are getting rid of Soriano without paying his salary is to put him on waivers and hope someone claims him or to trade for an equally risky, bad contract player like Barry Zito or Vernon Wells.

As for Colvin, pretty much any team faced with "Would you rather have crappy Aramis Ramirez or Tyler Colvin at a higher trade price" is going to say "Neither, thanks, we have journeymen of our own." I have a hard time believing Colvins trade value is any higher than Fontenots given his history.

BDawk4Prez
05-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Just bring k-wood back as set up

Why would youy be in favor of making this team worse?

ReJo
05-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Good veteran pitching with reasonable or expiring contracts gets the most return especially at the trade deadline.
I think Lilly and Dempster could get a nice package of prospects come deadline time.

windycityD
05-23-2010, 07:24 PM
two more weeks of these kinda numbers and Soto will be in full free fall. The guy is sinking like a stone of late. His current value is based on OBP, which is not really what we need from him. We need run production & power from his bat.

Buckcub
05-23-2010, 08:47 PM
As for Colvin, pretty much any team faced with "Would you rather have crappy Aramis Ramirez or Tyler Colvin at a higher trade price" is going to say "Neither, thanks, we have journeymen of our own." I have a hard time believing Colvins trade value is any higher than Fontenots given his history.

I guess a list of ANY cubs with trade value would have been shorter... I think someone would give something for Colvin, although with most of these guys we're talking about fair to middling prospects, not anything special.

Kirel
05-23-2010, 09:04 PM
I guess a list of ANY cubs with trade value would have been shorter... I think someone would give something for Colvin, although with most of these guys we're talking about fair to middling prospects, not anything special.
I don't see the value being any different honestly. Same guy would be offered for Colvin that would be for Ramirez.

CubsFanSwope
05-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Why would youy be in favor of making this team worse?

really y would it make it worst? please explain kerry wood has been hurt to start the season and he came back against the reds yesterday and looked pretty damn good so i doubt it makes us worst having a 96mph fast ball in the 8th to set up marmol

Buckcub
05-24-2010, 06:06 PM
really y would it make it worst? please explain kerry wood has been hurt to start the season and he came back against the reds yesterday and looked pretty damn good so i doubt it makes us worst having a 96mph fast ball in the 8th to set up marmol

I think that during the times when he was healthy, he'd be a pretty darn good 8th inning guy, but you know he's going back on the DL. When that happens it's just gonna be a waste of whatever money you're paying him and whatever you gave up to get him... Not worth it in my mind.

toovey107
05-24-2010, 07:53 PM
You do realize that it's 2010 right?

I mean god damn, I love Kerry Wood but no thank you.

Someone needs to assassinate Bob Howry real quick as well.