PDA

View Full Version : What should Williams have done?

RipVW
05-23-2010, 08:11 AM
Youve seen the play a million times already: Rondo tracking down a ball that Jason Williams had a clear path to. It was a great play by Rondo. But the suggestion seems to be that it proves the Celtics wanted it more.

But when I think about it, how many times have you seen a player in Jason Williams situation chasing down a ball with a clear path to it, dive for it? It never happens. Yet the suggestion seems to be that he didnt try hard enough. Did Jason Williams really do anything wrong? Did he do anything that a million other NBA players dont do all the time?

I dont think Jason Williams was running full out, but if he'd done a full out sprint, he probably would have over run the basketball...or kick it out of bounds. He was running after it hard but was in control. Whats wrong with that?

There seems to be a suggestion that its indicative of Orlando not wanting it, this play was hardly that. It was just a great play by Rondo.

69centers
05-23-2010, 08:26 AM
I don't think he realized Rondo got so close, so fast.

Montana_Rob
05-23-2010, 08:28 AM
I don't think he realized Rondo got so close, so fast.

exactly thats why people were loving that play so much. Rondo closed sooo fast

69centers
05-23-2010, 08:34 AM
KG called it the best play of the playoffs, and I have to agree. Nothing made me jump up and down more this year. Amazing play.

Sly Guy
05-23-2010, 08:48 AM
you should always be running full-sprint to pick up a ball going out of bounds. No excuse. Also at least making an effort to bend over and pick it up might help in getting possession.

Evolution23
05-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Youve seen the play a million times already: Rondo tracking down a ball that Jason Williams had a clear path to. It was a great play by Rondo. But the suggestion seems to be that it proves the Celtics wanted it more.

But when I think about it, how many times have you seen a player in Jason Williams situation chasing down a ball with a clear path to it, dive for it? It never happens. Yet the suggestion seems to be that he didnt try hard enough. Did Jason Williams really do anything wrong? Did he do anything that a million other NBA players dont do all the time?

I dont think Jason Williams was running full out, but if he'd done a full out sprint, he probably would have over run the basketball...or kick it out of bounds. He was running after it hard but was in control. Whats wrong with that?

There seems to be a suggestion that its indicative of Orlando not wanting it, this play was hardly that. It was just a great play by Rondo.

U really needed to start a thread on 1 play? :facepalm:

Daze9900
05-23-2010, 09:34 AM
I will have to agree it was an outstanding play by Rondo. The final score indicated that Boston wanted it more not just that one play.

Kakaroach
05-23-2010, 09:42 AM
It was an amazing play by Rondo but still, Williams could have easily beaten him to the ball if he ran instead of jogged. When your in a situation like that you have to run cuz you know Rondo will book it to get the ball.

RipVW
05-23-2010, 11:34 AM
I dont think he jogged but if he had done a full out sprint, he could have kicked the ball or missed it when trying to pick it up. I really dont think he was loafing. I think at one point he saw Rondo and tried to shield him, so that slowed him down a little. But Im really not seeing what Williams did wrong or what he did that you dont see all the time.

Becks2307
05-23-2010, 02:14 PM
I like this thread.

Lets say Williams decided to dive for it. Then Rondo would have been over him, held on to the ball and it would have been a jump ball situation. Rondo just made a great play. It wasnt even the fact that he dove. He was somehow able to pull the ball back in one quick swoop with his finger tips (thats ****ing hard to do) and then get up, cross him over and finish. That play would only have been better if Rondo did his patented Rondo layup and made White Chocolate miss.

king4day
05-23-2010, 02:23 PM
I'd think for a thread like this that it would be a good idea to have a link. I have no idea what play anyone is talking about here.

Reversed86Curse
05-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Just a great play- nothing Williams could have done to stop it

/thread

mikedesi1004
05-23-2010, 02:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjj-YyfKwRE

nyanks79
05-23-2010, 02:35 PM
He should have went to the ref and blown the whistle for him because that was a travel.

shep33
05-23-2010, 02:47 PM
This is my problem with that play... okay obviously Rondo is extremely quick, but Williams i think coulda put in a little more effort to get the ball, but either way great play by Rondo...

What should've happend though after Rondo got the ball, is Williams shoulda hacked Rondo... no layups. I'm not a Magic fan, but if that was Jameer Nelson making that play, the Celtics woulda hacked him, not allowing him to get an easy 2 after that.

Williams looked back to see if someone was behind him too, you can't do that against a pesty player like Rondo, and overall you just shouldn't look back to see whose trailing you... gotta get the ball first before anything happens.

I actually like Jason Williams too, but i think he should've at the very least hacked Rondo.

td0tsfinest
05-23-2010, 03:06 PM
lol Mark Jackson. "Tom Brady outta be proud to be in the same discussion"

RadiantShot
05-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Shouldn't have given up on the play. That's what he should have done.

Shady66
05-23-2010, 03:10 PM
You can tell he was trying to box him out, so Rondo couldnt get around him, but Rondo was just so quick and wanted it more. I like what J will did, its a good idea, but it just didnt work lol

69centers
05-23-2010, 03:17 PM
He should have went to the ref and blown the whistle for him because that was a travel.

Absolute :bs:. He was coming up dribbling as soon as he grabbed it and his first foot took a step. Not even close to a travel bud.

USMCLaker
05-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Rondo's this, Rondo's that, so what if he is a great point guard that doesn't mean you just quit on a play. I have said many times that Rondo is underrated even on his own squad long before this post season but come on, all he did on this play was exactly what he should have done dive for 50/50 balls.

J.Williams had no court awareness on the floor and then once he saw Rondo he just FREAKING looked at him.

How the hell are all of you blowing so much smoke up Rondo's pipe for a typical hustle play. He's a point guard, if anyone is able to dive for loose balls at the very least a point guard should. When do we start giving out brownie points for doing what should be done.

It was a loose ball Rondo went for it. Oh My God play of the century, wow, amazing, give me a freaking break. Good play for Rondo, J.Williams was embarrassing.

69centers
05-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Rondo's this, Rondo's that, so what if he is a great point guard that doesn't mean you just quit on a play. I have said many times that Rondo is underrated even on his own squad long before this post season but come on, all he did on this play was exactly what he should have done dive for 50/50 balls.

J.Williams had no court awareness on the floor and then once he saw Rondo he just FREAKING looked at him.

How the hell are all of you blowing so much smoke up Rondo's pipe for a typical hustle play. He's a point guard, if anyone is able to dive for loose balls at the very least a point guard should. When do we start giving out brownie points for doing what should be done.

It was a loose ball Rondo went for it. Oh My God play of the century, wow, amazing, give me a freaking break. Good play for Rondo, J.Williams was embarrassing.

Typical play? You've got to be joking, right? Even Steve Smith and 3-D on NBAtv were saying how most guys, including themselves would have stopped after grabbing the ball and looked for help to pass to or call a time out. The fact that he hit the deck hard and grabbed the ball in one diving motion, tipped it back toward himself, got up and started dribbling at the same time, put a little crossover on Williams and completed the layup is absolutely amazing. There aren't many in the NBA who could have made this like he did.

DeyAce
05-23-2010, 03:35 PM
There was nothing he can do. Rondo is younger, quicker and better

smith&wesson
05-23-2010, 03:46 PM
i think he could have tried to go to the floor and at least tie up the ball for a jump. put to let rondo dive and get there first and then get up and beat him to the basket. clearly rondo wanted it more.

USMCLaker
05-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Typical play? You've got to be joking, right? Even Steve Smith and 3-D on NBAtv were saying how most guys, including themselves would have stopped after grabbing the ball and looked for help to pass to or call a time out. The fact that he hit the deck hard and grabbed the ball in one diving motion, tipped it back toward himself, got up and started dribbling at the same time, put a little crossover on Williams and completed the layup is absolutely amazing. There aren't many in the NBA who could have made this like he did.

It's his job to hype up the game so what.

You go ahead and give Rondo brownie points for hitting the deck hard, I will not. I give him credit for his overall post season play but not for being a man and doing what he is suppossed to do. You can color it any way you want but in the end all he did was dive for a loose ball. Nobody is talking about him converting it into a two point layup drill just the dive. Whether he converted it himself or pulled back and waited for teammates to assist it's the dive that everyone seems to be enamored of.

69centers
05-23-2010, 04:06 PM
It's his job to hype up the game so what.

You go ahead and give Rondo brownie points for hitting the deck hard, I will not. I give him credit for his overall post season play but not for being a man and doing what he is suppossed to do. You can color it any way you want but in the end all he did was dive for a loose ball. Nobody is talking about him converting it into a two point layup drill just the dive. Whether he converted it himself or pulled back and waited for teammates to assist it's the dive that everyone seems to be enamored of.

It's the whole play, and the finish that made it so special. Not to mention that being up by 17 points (I believe it was 34-17 at that point) and up in the series 2-0, most max contract guys would not get their hands dirty doing that at that point with that type of lead. That type of play is usually reserved for late 4th quarters of close games.

natelpete
05-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Absolute :bs:. He was coming up dribbling as soon as he grabbed it and his first foot took a step. Not even close to a travel bud.

Good hustle... HUGE travel.

USMCLaker
05-23-2010, 04:10 PM
It's the whole play, and the finish that made it so special. Not to mention that being up by 17 points (I believe it was 34-17 at that point) and up in the series 2-0, most max contract guys would not get their hands dirty doing that at that point with that type of lead. That type of play is usually reserved for late 4th quarters of close games.

That I will give him credit for but this also only seems to bolster my point that JW quit on the play, his *** should have been on the deck fighting for that loose ball since they needed it more.

nyanks79
05-23-2010, 04:19 PM

Im not trying to take away from the play. Great hustle and effort. Shows real good speed also. But thats clearly a travel. He just stood up.

RaiderLakersA's
05-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Are you telling me that Wiliams couldn't have done anything differently to gain the advantage and get possession of the ball? I find that hard to believe.

Sure, Rondo made a great play, but I don't see anything wrong in saying that Jason didn't go all out to get that ball.

What if instead of a ball they were chasing something of supreme value to Jason? Something that he would cut his own mother to possess. Or perhaps something less life and death. What if it was the last seconds of the game and gaining possession meant sealing the win for the Magic? Are you telling me that Jason doesn't dive then?

Jason is an older player, but I remember him from his days in Sacramento...and he had no problems diving for balls and getting grimey back then. What changed?

kurivaimu
05-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Well, the fact is that Williams should have got it.

_KB24_
05-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Sat down and take a **** on Rondo :puke:

How about show some hustle and actually pursue the ball? Not gallantly skip back to the ball? Dumb white boy ;)

69centers
05-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Im not trying to take away from the play. Great hustle and effort. Shows real good speed also. But thats clearly a travel. He just stood up.

check the vid again -- he had a low dribble started before his first foot even got planted to start getting up -- 100% NOT a travel -- in fact not one tv analyst even remotely suggested this and most said it should have been an And 1

Shadee
05-23-2010, 06:38 PM
He should have hustled instead of been lazy.

stawka
05-23-2010, 06:45 PM
For anyone saying "it was a typical play" or it was nothing special... What if that was your favorite player who did that?! Just STFU and appreciate a great play by a great player

Williams couldn't have done a thing. Rondo was too quick and too determined, didn't he grab it from in between Williams' legs?

Although I thought it was a travel, the play and hustle level were ridiculous!

69centers
05-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Again, not even close to a travel. You can get up and establish a pivot or start a dribble from the floor. He was picking it up and establishing possession. Seriously, not even remotely close or even a borderline travel here.

natelpete
05-23-2010, 08:15 PM
People are worshipping this play way too much..
I mean, sure it was a nice play. Does it deserve to be called one of the best plays of all time? No. Does it even its own thread at prosportsdaily.com? No.

Relax people.

nbafan63
05-23-2010, 08:19 PM
I mean, sure it was a nice play. Does it deserve to be called one of the best plays of all time? No. Does it even its own thread at prosportsdaily.com? No.

Relax people.

who are you to say what is worthy of a thread? if you don't care much for the topic then don't read it. Its' like you see a group of 10 ppl in the park discussing something and you walk up and tell them you guys are wasting your breath talking. They would tell you to just get lost loser

tredigs
05-23-2010, 08:20 PM

Relax people.

This play > The Big Bang.

I'm getting it tattooed in storyboard format across my back just to spite you.

USMCLaker
05-23-2010, 08:34 PM
For anyone saying "it was a typical play" or it was nothing special... What if that was your favorite player who did that?! Just STFU and appreciate a great play by a great player

Williams couldn't have done a thing. Rondo was too quick and too determined, didn't he grab it from in between Williams' legs?

Although I thought it was a travel, the play and hustle level were ridiculous!

Telling other posters to STFU for sharing their opinion in an open communication sports FORUM for expressing their opinion is why you shouldn't be whinning but go ahead son.

nyanks79
05-23-2010, 08:53 PM
check the vid again -- he had a low dribble started before his first foot even got planted to start getting up -- 100% NOT a travel -- in fact not one tv analyst even remotely suggested this and most said it should have been an And 1

He got the ball on the ground. Then stood up. Both knees were up and feet were planted. Then he started to dribble. Thats a travel. He didnt start dribbling on the ground, and then gradually stand up. He stood up then dribbled.

Again, not taking away from what he did. Great effort. Great hustle. Real good speed. But a travel.

JimmyMal450
05-23-2010, 09:11 PM
He got the ball on the ground. Then stood up. Both knees were up and feet were planted. Then he started to dribble. Thats a travel. He didnt start dribbling on the ground, and then gradually stand up. He stood up then dribbled.

Again, not taking away from what he did. Great effort. Great hustle. Real good speed. But a travel.

It was not remotely close to a travel. Watch the video again. The ball remained on the floor as Rondo stood up. Rondo then picked up the ball when he was on his feet. It would be exactly the same as a player picking up a ball rolling on the ground. He picked the ball up and began his dribble, no travel there.

nbafan63
05-23-2010, 09:15 PM

Did the ref call a travel? No, so it wasn't a travel.
Did MJ push off on Bryan Russell in the final play to get a shot off? Yes. Did they call an OFoul? No. So was it a foul? No. There you have it buddy.

CowboysKB24
05-23-2010, 09:42 PM
KG called it the best play of the playoffs, and I have to agree. Nothing made me jump up and down more this year. Amazing play.

Best play of the playoffs? Are you joking? The game 34-17 and the series was 2-0... Rondo made a hustle play where Williams didn't realize some one was following him. I am sorry, I am not really impressed by that play. I heard about it and I thought it was going to be an insane play. Rondo has done way way way way way more impressive stuff than that. He is the most exciting player in the NBA right now and that play doesn't even make my top ten Rondo plays. Nice hustle play, but didn't have an impact on the game because it was already over and it just wasn't that nice. He just ran for a loose ball and got it. We all saw the Celtics out hustle the Magic all series.

nbafan63
05-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Best play of the playoffs? Are you joking? The game 34-17 and the series was 2-0... Rondo made a hustle play where Williams didn't realize some one was following him. I am sorry, I am not really impressed by that play. I heard about it and I thought it was going to be an insane play. Rondo has done way way way way way more impressive stuff than that. He is the most exciting player in the NBA right now and that play doesn't even make my top ten Rondo plays.

no one cares about your top 10. rondo make a nice defensive play...just leave it at that.

robdizzle3
05-24-2010, 12:10 AM

Hahah, I was yelling that when he got up from the floor. But this is the NBA, so I guess they dont call travels.

Sixerlover
05-24-2010, 12:14 AM
^ It wasn't a walk.

I'm not going to say that Williams should of dove to the ground or anything because he thought he was alone, BUT put a pep in your step to get the ball and advance it back upcourt. Your down 17, and need a spark don't continue to play like the score is 5-5.

RaptorizedKevin
05-24-2010, 12:14 AM
he should had flopped.

robdizzle3
05-24-2010, 12:28 AM
^ It wasn't a walk.

I'm not going to say that Williams should of dove to the ground or anything because he thought he was alone, BUT put a pep in your step to get the ball and advance it back upcourt. Your down 17, and need a spark don't continue to play like the score is 5-5.

I really dont know hwat people are looking at to not see that it was a walk. He dove on the ground and got control of the ball, then he gets up with the ball and starts to dribble. That is a travel. You cant get up with the ball when you're on the floor. I know you know this, but I just dont get why people are saying it wasnt. i know it wasnt called, but it doesnt mean he didnt travel. The Jordan move has nothing to do with it, because a foul is at the refs discretion, but anybody can see a travel and is a rule.

Cubsfan365
05-24-2010, 12:30 AM
How do people honestly not see that this was clearly a travel? There is no chance he was dribbling before he stood up. He got the ball, stood up on both feet, then took off and started dribbling. That is a travel and always has been no matter what people want to believe.

robdizzle3
05-24-2010, 12:31 AM
how do people honestly not see that this was clearly a travel? There is no chance he was dribbling before he stood up. He got the ball, stood up on both feet, then took off and started dribbling. That is a travel and always has been no matter what people want to believe.

thank you

Cubsfan365
05-24-2010, 12:37 AM
thank you
You're welcome. The first time I saw that play I was sure that an analyst or someone would see it was a travel, but I guess not...

Sixerlover
05-24-2010, 12:39 AM
I really dont know hwat people are looking at to not see that it was a walk.
Which Rule do you think Rondo broke when he made that play. Just curious

NBA
For the 2009-10 season, the NBA modified its rule regarding traveling to update antiquated language.[1]
NBA Official Rules (2009-2010)
Rule 10, Section XIII—Traveling
a. A player who receives the ball while standing still may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot. a1. A player that takes 3 or more steps
b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may take two steps in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.
-A player who receives the ball while he is progressing must release the ball to start his dribble before his second step. The first step occurs when a foot, or both feet, touch the floor after gaining control of the ball. The second step occurs after the first step when the other foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.
-A player who comes to a stop on step one when both feet are on the floor or touch the floor simultaneously may pivot using either foot as his pivot. If he jumps with both feet he must release the ball before either foot touches the floor.
-A player who lands with one foot first may only pivot using that foot. A progressing player who jumps off one foot on the first step may land with both feet simultaneously for the second step. In this situation, the player may not pivot with either foot and if one or both feet leave the floor the ball must be released before either returns to the floor.
c. In starting a dribble after (1) receiving the ball while standing still, or (2) coming to a legal stop, the ball must be out of the player’s hand before the pivot foot is raised off the floor.
d. If a player, with the ball in his possession, raises his pivot foot off the floor, he must pass or shoot before his pivot foot returns to the floor. If he drops the ball while in the air, he may not be the first to touch the ball.
e. A player who falls to the floor while holding the ball, or while coming to a stop, may not gain an advantage by sliding.
f. A player who attempts a field goal may not be the first to touch the ball if it fails to touch the backboard, basket ring or another player.
g. A player may not be the first to touch his own pass unless the ball touches his backboard, basket ring or another player.
h. Upon ending his dribble or gaining control of the ball, a player may not touch the floor consecutively with the same foot (hop).

robdizzle3
05-24-2010, 12:40 AM
You're welcome. The first time I saw that play I was sure that an analyst or someone would see it was a travel, but I guess not...

They were to busy getting caught up in all the excitement. They were with the crowd. I also was trying to hear Mike Breen or somebody say that was a travel, but theyw ere to busy praising his "hustle", which he did, but he just happened to travel during that hustle.

DodgerBulls
05-24-2010, 12:40 AM
it was a great play by Rondo.. and it doesn't help Williams since Rondo kinda got his foot/leg when he dove for the ball.

dodie53
05-24-2010, 12:56 AM
no hussle by J-will

stawka
05-24-2010, 05:58 AM
Telling other posters to STFU for sharing their opinion in an open communication sports FORUM for expressing their opinion is why you shouldn't be whinning but go ahead son.

What if it were Kobe instead of Rondo??? There would be 50 threads about "Kobe having the heart of a warrior"... But it's Rondo -- so it was nothing special... SON!!

This is coming from a guy that doesn't like Boston at all -- just enjoy great basketball by a player that was "only good coz of the big 3"

69centers
05-24-2010, 08:02 AM
I really dont know hwat people are looking at to not see that it was a walk. He dove on the ground and got control of the ball, then he gets up with the ball and starts to dribble. That is a travel. You cant get up with the ball when you're on the floor. I know you know this, but I just dont get why people are saying it wasnt. i know it wasnt called, but it doesnt mean he didnt travel. The Jordan move has nothing to do with it, because a foul is at the refs discretion, but anybody can see a travel and is a rule.

If players weren't allowed to pick a ball up off the floor to start a dribble, every ball that was lying on the ground would be a dead ball. C'mon now, you don't know your rules. Players are allowed to get up from the ground and pick up a ball, and either start a pivot, or start a dribble. He started a dribble. It's legal.

Raoul Duke
05-24-2010, 09:12 AM
He shoulda kept it all bottled up inside, and then flipped out on an unsuspecting journalist after the game.

Y'know, try something new.

ballpd05
05-24-2010, 11:38 AM
I think the refs saw J-Will jogging because he thought no one was behind in and when Rondo made a great hustle play (that was a travel) the officials were like look at this dumb@$$ jogging we ain't calling that *******.

J-Will should've ran full speed to get the ball. Even Rondo didn't beat him to it the shot clock is winding down.

By the way, Kobe traveled the other day when he fell and rolled from the free throw line to the block and then got to call a timeout afterward. No travel there either.

USMCLaker
05-24-2010, 11:39 AM
What if it were Kobe instead of Rondo??? There would be 50 threads about "Kobe having the heart of a warrior"... But it's Rondo -- so it was nothing special... SON!!

This is coming from a guy that doesn't like Boston at all -- just enjoy great basketball by a player that was "only good coz of the big 3"

You make false assumptions without knowing anything about me but I'm not surprised that's the most short sighted Laker Hater assumption there is.

I appreciate his game but I'm hardly a Kobe fan, don't dislike him either I just don't care one way or the other, the Laker team will always be bigger than any one player.

Now back to what was and should be the topic at hand. I have posted praising Rondo since the beginning of this season hoping that the Celtics would trade him when the talk of team chemistry was an issue because I thought he was underratted and undervalued on his own team. If you had read my entire original post than you would understand that but all you could focus on was that I thought the play was a 'typical' hustle play. Diving for a loose ball in a conference final playoff game is hardly amazing yes even if Kobe had done it. Rondo has made much more impressive plays than diving for a loose ball and a subsequent layup on a sleeping Magic player. If you want to be so amazed by it then you do that but don't be a keyboard coward and come on a sports forum to tell people to STFU on the internet because you don't agree with what is being said.

beasted86
05-24-2010, 01:13 PM
At the very least he should have jumped on Rondo and either caused a jump ball or a foul to put a bad free throw shooter on the line.