PDA

View Full Version : The move that could have guaranteed it all for the New York Knicks

Boston Faithful
05-23-2010, 04:04 AM
About a year ago, the New York Knicks had the chance to trade Wilson Chandler, Jared Jeffries, and Larry Hughes to the Wizards for the no. 5 pick and expiring contracts.

Donnie Walsh passed.

I honestly don't know why he passed on the deal. Had he done this move, this would have guaranteed LeBron and Bosh or Wade in my opinion.

They would have ended up with the no. 5 and the no. 8 picks with Ricky Rubio, Stephen Curry or Jonny Flynn (their choice) and they wouldn't have had to focus getting rid of Jeffries this regular season with Jordan Hill to the Rockets and giving up even more future draft picks. They could have focused on getting rid of Eddy Curry and with enough effort, probably could have done it.

Let's look at the best case scenario. They pick Stephen Curry and then Brandon Jennings with the no. 8 pick. They're loaded with Gallinari, Curry and Jennings at SF, SG and PG for the future. This team suddenly looks like a contender in the making. Add Bosh and James to that mix and that is probably the top contender for an NBA title.

This was just a typical Knicks move.

SugeKnight
05-23-2010, 04:09 AM
They woulda took rubio and he would have played this season in the NBA

JiffyMix88
05-23-2010, 04:37 AM
if they passed on brandon the first time im pretty sure they would of done it even if they did trade

mvb815
05-23-2010, 04:38 AM
who knows though, rubio could end up being better than jennings. too early to tell

SouljahPhil...
05-23-2010, 04:55 AM
that was a year ago...move on...

francium34
05-23-2010, 05:07 AM
1 Nobody thought Rubio would fall that far.
2 Wilson Chandler is among the only 2 pieces they wanted to keep in future plans (Gallinari is the other)
3 I can't explain why they passed on Jennings, and never played Jordan Hill much, who actually looked decent in Houston

PrettyBoyJ
05-23-2010, 05:10 AM
They woulda passed on Jennings again.. and if they didnt I dont see Jennings and Curry co-existing in the same back court..

Evolution23
05-23-2010, 09:14 AM
I agree they messed up but you can't go around thinking about the past... I mean stephen Curry was almost a Knick until the Warriors "stole" him. Did the warriors really need another small sg? But looking at the future I still think the Knicks can get Rubio because it looks like the Warriors are set with their PG situation and they got another high loto pick. Say they trade Chandler and Curry for Rubio or something along those lines.

Ballin274
05-23-2010, 09:34 AM
I agree they messed up but you can't go around thinking about the past... I mean stephen Curry was almost a Knick until the Warriors "stole" him. Did the warriors really need another small sg? But looking at the future I still think the Knicks can get Rubio because it looks like the Warriors are set with their PG situation and they got another high loto pick. Say they trade Chandler and Curry for Rubio or something along those lines.

WTF do the warriors have to do with the knicks getting Rubio? Minnesota owns Rubios rights, so the fact that Golden State got a high pick makes no difference at all to the knicks chances of getting him... This post makes no damn sense

Ballin274
05-23-2010, 09:35 AM
About a year ago, the New York Knicks had the chance to trade Wilson Chandler, Jared Jeffries, and Larry Hughes to the Wizards for the no. 5 pick and expiring contracts.

Donnie Walsh passed.

I honestly don't know why he passed on the deal. Had he done this move, this would have guaranteed LeBron and Bosh or Wade in my opinion.

They would have ended up with the no. 5 and the no. 8 picks with Ricky Rubio, Stephen Curry or Jonny Flynn (their choice) and they wouldn't have had to focus getting rid of Jeffries this regular season with Jordan Hill to the Rockets and giving up even more future draft picks. They could have focused on getting rid of Eddy Curry and with enough effort, probably could have done it.

Let's look at the best case scenario. They pick Stephen Curry and then Brandon Jennings with the no. 8 pick. They're loaded with Gallinari, Curry and Jennings at SF, SG and PG for the future. This team suddenly looks like a contender in the making. Add Bosh and James to that mix and that is probably the top contender for an NBA title.

I think it was only Chandler for the 5 pick, but if you have a source that proves Jeffries and Hughes were involved then I'd love to see it.

Evolution23
05-23-2010, 11:09 AM
WTF do the warriors have to do with the knicks getting Rubio? Minnesota owns Rubios rights, so the fact that Golden State got a high pick makes no difference at all to the knicks chances of getting him... This post makes no damn sense

I meant the Knicks can still get Rubio from the Timberwolves.. typo lol

RadiantShot
05-23-2010, 11:11 AM
You can't really rely on "What-If." Just saying. We all would change something in hind-sight, but, that's life, you move on, and you don't think about it.

spoonhoops
05-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Rubio would be a stud in NYC. Jennings wouldn't have been picked there though.

RaptorizedKevin
05-23-2010, 11:16 AM
They would had taken curry. curry wanted to be a knick and it would had lured lebron. rubio can pay off but you never know. so taking curry would had been sensible

artest_kobe
05-23-2010, 11:23 AM
how can you say oh rubio or curry plus bosh or lebron equals championship contenders, they are first year players, and these guys don't want to play with rookies or second year players, they want to win

kurivaimu
A backcourt of JEnnigs and Curry would have been killed on defense by opposing teams stronger guards.

arkanian215
I think it was only Chandler for the 5 pick, but if you have a source that proves Jeffries and Hughes were involved then I'd love to see it.

I don't think it ever got far enough to include Jeffries. From the looks of this "report" the Knicks wanted to get rid of Jeffries in the deal but couldn't get it done. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/204927-knicks-and-wizards-talking-trade

The New York Knicks are currently discussing a blockbuster draft trade with the Washington Wizards. Rumors have swirled that the Knicks would acquire the Wizards' fifth pick and while being able to keep the No. 8 pick as well.

The Knicks covet Stephen Curry and there is no guarantee he will be there at eight. Wilson Chandler, would likely be involved in the deal as he has showed his potential last season. The 6′8″ swing-man had a breakout season averaging 14.4 points, 5.4 rebounds and 0.9 blocks. Chandler is just 22 years old and is under contract for the next three seasons.

However, the Knicks would rather trade ex-Wizard players Larry Hughes and Jared Jeffries. This past season the Wiz tried to trade for Hughes, then on the Bulls, for Mike James and Etan Thomas.

Looks like the OP's post is wrong.

RaptorizedKevin
05-23-2010, 11:29 AM
donnie should had done it. idk w hy the hell he didnt ..

ecorrea
05-23-2010, 11:32 AM
how can you say oh rubio or curry plus bosh or lebron equals championship contenders, they are first year players, and these guys don't want to play with rookies or second year players, they want to win

+1, that squad is not hands down best in the nba... lol

arkanian215
05-23-2010, 11:35 AM
A lot of professional scouts were wrong. They thought this would be a deep draft but overall a weak one. No one really knew how Curry would play in this league.

5+7=DYNASTY!!!
05-23-2010, 11:48 AM
The deal never included Jeffries

MSG34
05-23-2010, 11:55 AM
I thought the 8th pick was included as well but I could be mistaken. I thought we didnt want to use Chandler to move up 3 spots. Whatever, that deal should have be done with or without jeffries if the 8th pick wasnt included

hgtiger32
05-23-2010, 12:18 PM
even if all that were to happen and there would be a lineup of

Jennings
Curry
Gallinari
James
Bosh

that lineup wouldn't do crap. curry is a pg/sg tweener. lebron james would play the 4? i think not...and bosh at the 5? i think not. that team would get broken in half by a big magic, celtics, lakers teams...

$KnicksAndKobe$
05-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Jeffries was never included, move on instead of making some stuff up from the past.

jeter 2
05-23-2010, 12:21 PM

Donnie Walsh passed.

There is no truth to that. The T-Wolves offered them a good deal as well.

HouRealCoach
05-23-2010, 12:26 PM
They would have drafted Hill and Curry...

Lo Porto
05-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Whats worse is the deal at the 2009 trade deadline when they could have traded Nate Robinson and Jeffries to Sacramento for Kenny Thomas who would have expired this summer. That's the worse trade the Knicks passed on.

At least the Knicks would still have Jordan Hill and future picks.

AddiX
05-23-2010, 12:50 PM

Donnie Walsh passed.

Are you nuts? If walsh had a chance to get a 5th and get rid of jared jeffries and hughes (2 players they never wanted), just by getting rid of Chandler you think they wouldn't of done it?

I'm sick of people in these forums running with ******** rumors, no way that trade was ever offered, and no way anyone would of turned it down.

Sports Illustrator
05-23-2010, 01:20 PM
This thread has been closed because there was no truth to the knicks being offered that kind of deal.