PDA

View Full Version : mark cuban fined 100k for violation of anti-tampering rules

netsgiantsyanks
05-22-2010, 04:44 PM
just found out on espn

arkanian215
05-22-2010, 04:46 PM
NEW YORK -- Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has been fined $100,000 by the NBA for comments made about free-agent-to-be LeBron James that violated the league's anti-tampering rules.

The outspoken billionaire, in an interview this week with CNNMoney.com, said "anybody" would be interested in James. Cuban said it would be tough to sign the two-time defending league MVP in free agency, but a sign-and-trade deal with Cleveland is something he would look at.

Phoenix Suns President of Basketball Operations Steve Kerr has been fined $10,000, also for public comments made in violation of the anti-tampering rules. Kerr's comments were made on a radio show on May 14.

Cuban didn't immediately return an email from The Associated Press.http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5210828

sixerfixer
05-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Fining a team ( owner )..some money for stating he will want, or persue a free agent to be is nothing. If you really wanna keep these owners/GM's totally quiet, then punish them by restricting them from getting the said player in any way...period, done with. Just tell Dallas that under NO WAY are they allowed to EVER have Lebron James on the team. I'll bet THAT type of fine will keep all these guys mouths shut.

clutchski
05-22-2010, 04:51 PM
that's a lot of money.

Reyes6
05-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Mark Cuban fined $0.01 in Cuban Dollars.

boms-4
05-22-2010, 04:54 PM
why was Cubans fine so much bigger than Kerrs?

barreleffact
05-22-2010, 04:57 PM

why was there a fine at all? every team in the nba wants lebron. he didnt say he has been in talks about getting him, he said id like to talk about getting him

RadiantShot
05-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Cuban should learn to b-e quiet.

SundaeBest
05-22-2010, 05:04 PM
why was there a fine at all? every team in the nba wants lebron. he didnt say he has been in talks about getting him, he said id like to talk about getting him

I really hope you aren't that bereft of common sense, as to not realize why anti-tampering rules apply.:facepalm:

And to the person you were answering, Mark Cuban is a billionare/owner. Steve Ker, is just a GM.....and merely a millionare :) .

tredigs
05-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Cuban should send it in pennies.

SundaeBest
05-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Cuban should learn to b-e quiet.

I actually like Cuban, and don't mind his shenanigans at all. The only thing that gets annoying, is when he is at games acting a fool. Cuban, you can go to the games, sit among the fans, cheer and jaw all you want, but sometimes you overdo it.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-22-2010, 05:10 PM

cause he has more money:shrug:

SundaeBest
05-22-2010, 05:11 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

mdm692
05-22-2010, 05:12 PM

kerr said he would offer the mid level contract to lebron if he would take it...jokingly of course

RadiantShot
05-22-2010, 05:13 PM
I actually like Cuban, and don't mind his shenanigans at all. The only thing that gets annoying, is when he is at games acting a fool. Cuban, you can go to the games, sit among the fans, cheer and jaw all you want, but sometimes you overdo it.

Don't you think over-doing it could be counted as shenanigans, as well? Sometimes he get's a bit too excited. :rolleyes:.

barreleffact
05-22-2010, 05:43 PM
I really hope you aren't that bereft of common sense, as to not realize why anti-tampering rules apply.:facepalm:

And to the person you were answering, Mark Cuban is a billionare/owner. Steve Ker, is just a GM.....and merely a millionare :) .

his statements were common knowledge. EVERY team would do a sign n trade for lebron if possible. so a fine is dumb based of it being just a statement. please inform me of why one common knowledge statement is worth 100k? the nba is just money hungry and do a lot of stupid things and make far too many dumb decisions and fines. they fine anyone for any statement that isnt white washed and politically correct and the lack of freedom of speech is disgusting, but i digress.

USMCLaker
05-22-2010, 06:14 PM

haha, or he can write a check on a big fat dirty pig and send it to that hypocrite Stern but I think the pig deserves better.

Aiwokote
05-22-2010, 06:31 PM

Cuban's tampering was very specific compared to Kerr's.

wasome10
05-22-2010, 06:35 PM
that's a lot of money.

not to a billionaire;)

effen5
05-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Both should have not been fined....I always thought tampering was only if they made contact with the actual player....Stern is an idiot.

jackdawson
05-22-2010, 06:53 PM
That's not much for mark cuban but still a lot though. NBA has gone little too hard on Cuban recently.

OA SLAY
05-22-2010, 07:00 PM
I really wonder what the NBA will be like after Stern...something is wrong with that man.

SundaeBest
05-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Don't you think over-doing it could be counted as shenanigans, as well? Sometimes he get's a bit too excited. :rolleyes:.

that was my point...that I don't mind MOST of his shenanigans....the only thing that really makes him look stupid in MY EYES, is when he acts a fool on the bench at games....:rolls eyes right back at you:

GrumpyOldMan
05-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Some of these fines are just crazy. What happens with the money that they collect? I really hope it goes to some of the NBA Cares charities. Does anyone know for sure where the money goes?

juggla53
05-22-2010, 08:15 PM
^im pretty sure all leauge and front office fines go to charity but im not 100% on that i know Rodney harrison once said he never minded getting fined that much because it went to charity's, i know thats the NFL but i assume the NBA and all professional sports have similar rules in terms of fines. But yeah cuban probabley sent them 200k in cash just to cover for the next fine he'll get for something else in the near future, not like he cares he probabley had that in his back pocket.

basketfan4life
05-22-2010, 08:19 PM
these fines are insane...he wants lebron on his team,so what?everybody wants him and he is just stating the obvious...David Stern is a megalomaniac, son of a b.tch...in the nba,talking,just talking deserves fine, that man turned in to a f.ucking adolf hitler.

DeyAce
05-22-2010, 08:33 PM

Ya thats what I didn't get either.

USMCLaker
05-22-2010, 08:34 PM
these fines are insane...he wants lebron on his team,so what?everybody wants him and he is just stating the obvious...David Stern is a megalomaniac, son of a b.tch...in the nba,talking,just talking deserves fine, that man turned in to a f.ucking adolf hitler.

I agree if he requires owners to say no comment when questioned about LBJ than he should have to shut his big damn mouth and not say things like LBJ should stay in Cleveland. Lead by example you little/big douche bag.

kblo247
05-22-2010, 08:39 PM

Owner vs GM (deeper pockets basically)

SundaeBest
05-22-2010, 09:05 PM
his statements were common knowledge. EVERY team would do a sign n trade for lebron if possible. so a fine is dumb based of it being just a statement. please inform me of why one common knowledge statement is worth 100k? the nba is just money hungry and do a lot of stupid things and make far too many dumb decisions and fines. they fine anyone for any statement that isnt white washed and politically correct and the lack of freedom of speech is disgusting, but i digress.

The rule is....if you are asked about a non-free agent, you're supposed to answer, "NO COMMENT". It is as plain as black and white, so it was a VIOLATION and warrants a fine.

We could all sit here and argue, that what he said was technically not a violation since he is only stating what everyone out there believes, HOWEVER, where do you draw the line in what you are allowed to say and what you are not allowed to say? It could get so blurred, people would be tampering left and right, and claim they weren't. That is why the rule states, you must say, "NO COMMENT", so that people don't try to find loopholes into HOW much they can say and what they can't say without tampering.

To your point about the NBA being "white-washed" and too politically correct, I agree to a degree. I miss old style basketball, with more aggression. I wish they would let players actually get into it a little bit. But alas, the NBA (like all other pro-sports leagues), wants to mass market to the mommy and daddy crowds...if you want a simple analogy, just look at what Las Vegas was in the 50s-70s...and what it is now.

To your freedom of speech argument, it's off-base. Freedom of speech has always had a check (think, yelling fire in a crowded theater)....also, the NBA is a private entity, if you wish to willingly participate in such entity, you must oblige by it's rules. For a more-close-to-home example, think PSD; you can't say EVERYTHING you want here, without fearing the repercussions of the often just but sometimes unjust wrath of the moderators. Freedom of speech, is not a privilege you get for participating in the NBA. And although it might be limited speech, I don't think it's nearly as bad as your parabolic argument suggests.

SundaeBest
05-22-2010, 09:08 PM
I agree if he requires owners to say no comment when questioned about LBJ than he should have to shut his big damn mouth and not say things like LBJ should stay in Cleveland. Lead by example you little/big douche bag.

While I am on David Stern's side of this fine (as much as I hate it), you're correct in your assertion, that technically, David Stern tampered first, and therefore, he should fine himself 100k.

drobe86
05-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Wow.... Just more proof that the NBA really hates the mavericks . 100,000 is nothing to Cubes, but cmon man where do we draw the line. Any and everybody who else says anything about it gets swept under the rug. But if it's cuban stern drops the hammer. I'm not sure the Mavs will ever be great because the NBA simply won't allow it.

spoonhoops
05-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Should have been 1MM

ccugrad1
05-22-2010, 09:20 PM

I agree 100%. What team in the NBA wouldn't want to add Lebron James. I don't see what the big deal is. I just think David Stern has it in for Mark Cuban!

SundaeBest
05-22-2010, 11:23 PM

While I am on David Stern's side of this fine (as much as I hate it), you correct in your assertion, that technically, David Stern tampered first, and therefore, he should fine himself 100k.

dtmagnet
05-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Overreaction by the league IMO.

PHX2daDEATH
05-23-2010, 12:59 AM
Is this why Dirk is going to opt out? Dallas can't afford Both James and Dirk.. maybe he took it as a slap in the face..

and as much as I don't like Cuban... I hate Stern more and i think the fine is stupid, I can see if Cuban was making calls to Lebron's agent or something but this was just an interview