PDA

View Full Version : Yahoosports: The top 10 players of the 2010 NBA playoffs

JordansBulls
05-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/The-top-10-players-of-the-2010-NBA-playoffs?urn=nba,242918)

1. Pau Gasol

It might surprise some to note that I don't consider Kobe Bryant to even be the best Laker on his own team so far this postseason, but all-around production matters, and in spite of Kobe Bryant's brilliant scoring exploits, Pau Gasol's in-his-prime versatility vaults him to the top of this list.

Fifty-eight percent shooting, over 21 points per game, 12 rebounds a contest, 3.6 assists, two blocks a game, and just 2.2 turnovers per night. On top of that, Gasol's continually improving defense has been a huge asset to a Laker attack that looks primed to repeat.

2. Rajon Rondo

Rondo earns extra points for his defensive dominance, he's allowed some big quarters against Mo Williams and Jameer Nelson, but by and large he's been a pest. Shutting his man down, always looking for a passing lane to mess with.

Eighteen points and six rebounds per game for Rajon, who has tossed around 10.6 assists in what are mainly slow-down contests, with fewer possessions to work with. Fifty percent shooting and two steals per contest for the Celtics lead guard, who has outright dominated on both ends at times.

3. Kobe Bryant

After a slow (for him) start, Kobe has come on like Kobe over the last couple of weeks, seeing his seven-game streak of 30-point contests end with only a 13-assist night (what a slacker) in Game 2 against the Suns.

Most importantly, after months spent working endless pick and rolls with Pau Gasol during the regular season, Kobe has chiseled out a place inside the Laker offense, getting his looks and doing his damage in a way that kept the ball moving, and his opponents on their heels. His 27.5 points per game isn't that far off his regular-season average, but it's the way that he's getting these points that is leading to Los Angeles' white-hot 105 points per game. Bryant is averaging 5.6 assists, 3.4 turnovers, and 4.1 rebounds per game.

4. LeBron James

In turning in over 29 points, nine rebounds, seven assists, and 3.5 combined steals and blocks per contest over 11 games, LBJ easily has the best stats of anyone who has played in the 2010 postseason.

And yet, it speaks to how great he is, and how disappointing his playoff run was, that he was able to put up those stats while effectively submarining his team's chances at getting out of the second round with a listless performance in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference semis, and a way-too-late barrage in Game 6. James could have done better, which is the reason he can't do better than fourth on this list.

Funny, because for all of Kobe Bryant's last-second theatrics during the regular season, James still scored way more, shot better, rebounded twice as much, and dished three times as many assists than Bryant in the clutch in the regular season. Not sure what the Celtics did to make it all go away, but it worked.

5. Jason Richardson

A bit of a surprise, but when you manage to shoot 52 percent from the field and nearly 51 percent from behind the three-point line after 12 playoff games, this sort of fluke has to be recognized.

That's not a slam. J-Rich was and will continue to be a fine outside shooter, but he's not shooting 50.6 percent from long range for the rest of his career, and that is why this is a fluke. But it's also a fluke that has the Suns in the conference finals, as Richardson's 21.8 points per game average has led the team. Six rebounds per game for the Michigan State product, and he's only turned it over eight times since the playoffs began. Nicely done, my man.

6. Dirk Nowitzki

Had the Mavericks played a little longer, with Dirk no doubt approximating his averages of 26.7 points per game on 55 percent shooting, 8.2 rebounds and just 1.7 turnovers a contest, Nowitzki would probably be duking it out with Pau and Rondo at the top.

As it is, the Mavs were out in the first round, and though Dirk had some chances to aid his Mavericks down the stretch of a few of their losses to San Antonio, the biggest reason they were in those losses to begin with was because of Nowitzki's superb play.

7. Deron Williams

To be sure, Williams faded a bit against the Lakers in the second round. The pairing with Derek Fisher, the supposedly one-sided matchup that could have put Los Angeles on its heels, never seemed to work well for DW.

8. Dwyane Wade

Wade's stats are sublime — 33.2 points on 56 percent shooting, with 12.4 combined rebounds/assists and 3.2 combined blocks/steals — but he had to work in only five games, was given carte blanche in the Miami "offense," and he turned it over 5.2 times a game.

That's 5.2, brothers and sisters. And while there's no good place for a turnover, some happened to come through at the worst times in the first around against Boston.

Get some help, see you next year, D-Wade.

9. Jameer Nelson

A little bundle of awesome, Nelson's 19 points and five assists might not seem like much until you realize that he's turned it over on just 7.7 percent of the possessions he's used up. That's an astonishing rate for anyone, much less a lead guard. Even if the lead guard was guarded by Mike Bibby(notes) for four games.

10. Dwight Howard

Howard's had his issues — the entire first round, Game 1 of the conference finals — but overall he's still found a way to pile up the impact. Pile it up!

He's averaging 16.6 points on 63 percent shooting, 3.6 blocks in only 33 minutes per game, and 11 rebounds. Now, if only he could do something about those four turnovers a game. Or Orlando's 0-2 deficit to Boston.

RadiantShot
05-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Hmm. I agree. I think LeBron would be higher up, had he not lost.

97NYer
05-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Pau....love him but #1?

RadiantShot
05-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Pau's been pretty fundamentally sound in every aspect. I don't know if #1 is correct, but he's sure up in the top 3.

tredigs
05-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Pau....love him but #1?

I'd have Rondo 1, Pau 2. But the list is pretty justifiable. Pau's been fantastic for them. Every. Single. Game.

PrettyBoyJ
05-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Rondo deserve to be number 1 he is the reason they beat cleveland

_KB24_
05-22-2010, 05:26 PM
1. Rondo
2. Kobe
3. Pau

Rondo has been the best and most consistent player on both ends of the playoffs this year. He's been sensational.

m26555
05-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Rondo should be number one, in my opinion, but Gasol has also been outstanding. I think Nowitzki is too high, also. Having three good games in a first-round loss should not justify him a spot on this list.

Eagles4Lyfe
05-22-2010, 05:30 PM
I agree as much as i hate their team gotta give a guy his due RONDO is a beasstttt definitely has to be number 1..Then gasol for sure and bryant

jackdawson
05-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Pretty good list (1 & 2 are interchangeable imo) but most Laker fans would be upset with the positions of Pau and Kobe. They never like to see Pau on superior position than Kobe on anything.

Ollie Tabooger
05-22-2010, 05:36 PM
1. Rondo
2. Pau
3. Kobe

The argument for having D-Wade as low as he was was he only had to work in 5 games. Well Dirk was out in six, and Wade played better than Dirk. Soo Dirk should be lower. But whatever who cares what yahoo says.

The Final Boss
05-22-2010, 06:01 PM
I've been preaching it for the past 3 seasons, Pau Gasol is the best all-around big man in the game today.

Please name one big man who is a better all-around big than Pau.

He has the best fundamentals.
He has an extremely high basketball I.Q.
He has the best foot work.
He shoots a very high shooting percentage.
He blocks shots.
He rebounds.
He has amazing range.
He runs the floor.
He's a great locker room guy.

He embarrassed Dwight Howard (DPOY) in the gold medal Olympic game and NBA Finals.

KmB728
05-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Hmmm Pau and Rondo have to be 1A and 1B both are having solid playoffs

tredigs
Pretty good list (1 & 2 are interchangeable imo) but most Laker fans would be upset with the positions of Pau and Kobe. They never like to see Pau on superior position than Kobe on anything.

Exactly. Non-Laker fans who actually watch games will pretty much all agree Pau has been their best player the last few months, not just these playoffs. Though Kobe has absolutely stepped it up in the post-season. Looks like he's 100%.

ko8e24
1. Rondo
2. Kobe
3. Pau

Rondo has been the best and most consistent player on both ends of the playoffs this year. He's been sensational.

Pau has been the most consistent player for LA, especially when Kobe was struggling against OKC those first four games. And it was after all Pau who closed out there series @ OKC in game 6 with the game winning bucket off of a Kobe miss. Gotta give the Big Spaniard a lot of credit!

JordansBulls
05-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Also Pau is leading the Lakers this postseason in both PER and Win Shares. Kobe led them in both last postseason.

USMCLaker
05-22-2010, 06:13 PM
I think Russell Westbrook should be on this list. He gave the Lakers more trouble than Deron Williams, Kevin Durant and Steve Nash.

showtym24
05-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Love the Pau love.

The Final Boss
05-22-2010, 06:21 PM
I think Russell Westbrook should be on this list. He gave the Lakers more trouble than Deron Williams, Kevin Durant and Steve Nash.

He had a few good games until Bryant took it upon himself to shut him down and put an end to the series.

I think a similar occurance can happen in the Finals. Bryant can minimize Rondo leaving Fisher to guard an aging Ray Allen with Artest defending the bee bop flop Paul Pierce.

Vidball
05-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Pau has been playing the ball of his life and has been HUGE in almost every game (especially against OKC and Game 2 of this Suns series), but Kobe has controlled the tempo of each of the past 8 games. Pau has been amazing but Kobe is the #1 reason the Lakers have rattled off 8 straight games.

DeyAce
05-22-2010, 06:51 PM
C'mon wheres Nash? He played with one eye and beat the Spurs

daisuke4cy
05-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Rondo was probobly the best player each of the last 2 postseasons. Rondo is a big game player for sure.

jackdawson
05-22-2010, 07:05 PM
I've been preaching it for the past 3 seasons, Pau Gasol is the best all-around big man in the game today.

He blocks shots.
He rebounds.
He has amazing range.
He runs the floor.

He embarrassed Dwight Howard (DPOY) in the gold medal Olympic game and NBA Finals.

While I agree that Pau Gasol is the most efficient big man in the league today, Tim Duncan still takes care of most of the categories you listed above.

jackdawson
05-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Well I have just noticed Steve Nash is not there in that list. That's pretty BS imo.

Kakaroach
05-22-2010, 07:11 PM
I would have put Rondo at 1 and Deron over Dirk but overall these are pretty good.

Nirvanaskurdt
05-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Attaboy J-Rich :clap:

kblo247
05-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Pau has been the most consistent player for LA, especially when Kobe was struggling against OKC those first four games. And it was after all Pau who closed out there series @ OKC in game 6 with the game winning bucket off of a Kobe miss. Gotta give the Big Spaniard a lot of credit!

It's the Kobe and Shaq during the 3 peat playoffs theme this year.

Pau is playing great and most consistent for the first 3 rounds for Kobe to go to the next level in the Finals. I'm proud of Pau and the way that he has stepped it up to a higher level. He deserves to be where he is at and get recognition like Kobe should have for his western conference playoff performances during the 3 peat

SteveNash
05-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Pau's gone up against Green, Boozer, and Amar'e. So don't get too crazy.

JordansBulls
05-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Pau's gone up against Green, Boozer, and Amar'e. So don't get too crazy.

Boozer, and Amare are allstar players. I think that is impressive especially considering their was a point where Boozer and Amare would be considered better than Gasol was.

Kakaroach
05-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Boozer, and Amare are allstar players. I think that is impressive especially considering their was a point where Boozer and Amare would be considered better than Gasol was. I think he means defensive-wise. All 3 of those guys are pretty horrible on defense. Thats why I think when he meets KG it will be a whole different game.

Still, Pau has dominated so far and he and Rondo are both deserving of #1.

AntiG
05-22-2010, 10:18 PM
While I agree that Pau Gasol is the most efficient big man in the league today, Tim Duncan still takes care of most of the categories you listed above.

Garnett too. Both Garnett and Duncan absolutely destroy Gasol on defense. And Nowitzki is a much better shooter and free throw shooter.

fairandbalanced
05-22-2010, 11:04 PM
1. Rondo
2. Pau
3. Lebron
4. Wade
5. Rose
6. Kobe
7. KG
8. Howard
9. Ray Allen
10. Nash

hugepatsfan
05-22-2010, 11:23 PM
He had a few good games until Bryant took it upon himself to shut him down and put an end to the series.

I think a similar occurance can happen in the Finals. Bryant can minimize Rondo leaving Fisher to guard an aging Ray Allen with Artest defending the bee bop flop Paul Pierce.

Ray would eat Fisher alive (and I love Fish but that spells trouble for the Lakers).

DeyAce
05-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Rondo is the undisputed #1 right now

_KB24_
05-22-2010, 11:27 PM

Yeah, but throughout the playoffs Kobe is completely controlling the tempo of the game. He is the one deciding whether to take the game in his hands and score 1-on-1 or play pick and roll with Pau. Every game Kobe has put up 30+ we have won. And as much as credit Pau deserves, he is playing against some pretty horrid defenses. Green, Amare, and Boozer/that white dude :o ?

I want to see how Pau fairs in the Finals against a much tougher front court, because he didn't show up in the Finals in 08 as we all expected him to do.

kblo247
05-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Yeah, but throughout the playoffs Kobe is completely controlling the tempo of the game. He is the one deciding whether to take the game in his hands and score 1-on-1 or play pick and roll with Pau. Every game Kobe has put up 30+ we have won. And as much as credit Pau deserves, he is playing against some pretty horrid defenses. Green, Amare, and Boozer/that white dude :o ?

I want to see how Pau fairs in the Finals against a much tougher front court, because he didn't show up in the Finals in 08 as we all expected him to do.

Pau deserves the credit as he is playing the most consistent for every game of the playoffs like Kobe during the West for the 3 peat.

That doesn't effect the Finals themselves as that is likely where Kobe much like Shaq will be the guy.

I am pleased that Pau has played so well and give him credit for carrying more weight this year in the postseason that last year as a whole, and I have to say that Kobe did start off slow in the first series

SteveNash
05-22-2010, 11:43 PM
Boozer, and Amare are allstar players. I think that is impressive especially considering their was a point where Boozer and Amare would be considered better than Gasol was.

Amar'e is making Lamar Odom look like an All Star and I don't remember anyone saying Boozer was better than Pau maybe Jazz fans.

Pau plays well when his team is playing well and the pressure is taken off him.

tredigs
05-23-2010, 12:09 AM

A healthy Garnett/Perkins will make every big in the league look lesser than they are. D. Howard looks like a rookie out there. And regardless of who's controlling the pace of the game (Kobe's their leader - no doubt about that), Pau has been the one player they can rely on every game to have a huge night. And I do think he'll have a better series against Boston than he did in '08, he'll definitely play better than Dwight's been also.

_KB24_
05-23-2010, 12:40 AM
A healthy Garnett/Perkins will make every big in the league look lesser than they are. D. Howard looks like a rookie out there. And regardless of who's controlling the pace of the game (Kobe's their leader - no doubt about that), Pau has been the one player they can rely on every game to have a huge night. And I do think he'll have a better series against Boston than he did in '08, he'll definitely play better than Dwight's been also.

I hope he does but it seems they have gotten even better in the post on defense. Perkins has developed along with Big Baby, and Wallace and Garnett are still some of the best defenders at their respective positions. I'm excited because the Celtics don't have a "shutdown defender" at the win position anymore which means Kobe will have his space to work, even with their great defense.

I'm saying this now, this series is going to one for the ages.

robdog_5
05-23-2010, 02:42 AM
I can't wait to watch Pau play against a guy who actually cares about defense and is not 4 inches shorter then him.

JiffyMix88
05-23-2010, 02:52 AM
OMG for nelson even being in the top 10 deserves a facepalm

ARMIN12NBA
05-23-2010, 02:55 AM
Exactly. Non-Laker fans who actually watch games will pretty much all agree Pau has been their best player the last few months, not just these playoffs. Though Kobe has absolutely stepped it up in the post-season. Looks like he's 100%.

Kobe opens up the game for Pau. He has been doing that a lot this post-season especially the last 7 games.

The Lakers have actually changed up their offensive scheme since the first 4 games against the Thunder. They are using Kobe and Pau as decoys for each other. Their offensive positioning allows them more spacing on the floor and opens up the middle of the court for them. These last 6-7 games where Kobe has been averaging 30+, he has been getting a ton of defensive attention thrown at him. If you noticed in Game 2 especially, the Suns doubling Kobe allowed for single man coverage on Pau. Pau chewed the defense up. Could that happen without the PRESENCE of Kobe? No. Presence doesn't show up on stats though, so I don't expect you to see or notice this stuff tredigs.

tredigs
05-23-2010, 03:11 AM
I hope he does but it seems they have gotten even better in the post on defense. Perkins has developed along with Big Baby, and Wallace and Garnett are still some of the best defenders at their respective positions. I'm excited because the Celtics don't have a "shutdown defender" at the win position anymore which means Kobe will have his space to work, even with their great defense.

I'm saying this now, this series is going to one for the ages.

You're right about their D, but Pau and Bynum have come together to be much more formidable down there since his first run. Bynum's development's allowing Pau more space to work -- I'm pretty sure he'll be better for you guys.

And yeah, I think this is going to be one for the ages. Talked about it in the 'in game' thread, the weakness of the playoffs so far is just the calm before the storm.

tredigs
05-23-2010, 03:16 AM
Kobe opens up the game for Pau. He has been doing that a lot this post-season especially the last 7 games.

The Lakers have actually changed up their offensive scheme since the first 4 games against the Thunder. They are using Kobe and Pau as decoys for each other. Their offensive positioning allows them more spacing on the floor and opens up the middle of the court for them. These last 6-7 games where Kobe has been averaging 30+, he has been getting a ton of defensive attention thrown at him. If you noticed in Game 2 especially, the Suns doubling Kobe allowed for single man coverage on Pau. Pau chewed the defense up. Could that happen without the PRESENCE of Kobe? No. Presence doesn't show up on stats though, so I don't expect you to see or notice this stuff tredigs.

haha "ooooh... roasted". I watch all the games too, my friend. To make a long story short, the bottom line is that their presence helps each other.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-23-2010, 03:39 AM

He blocks shots.
He rebounds.
He has amazing range.
He runs the floor.

Don't forget that he's the best passing big man also;)

ARMIN12NBA
05-23-2010, 03:41 AM
haha "ooooh... roasted". I watch all the games too, my friend. To make a long story short, the bottom line is that their presence helps each other.

Eh, one not as much as the other. Helpful, but it is easily seen that one of these players helps the other a lot more (with his ability to make plays on the perimeter, attract attention, and make post entry passes for that other player).

In the end, big men in general are limited in their overall playmaking impact because they don't have the ball often and usually need the guards to set them up in the first place.

Incublime24
05-23-2010, 04:18 AM
Eh, one not as much as the other. Helpful, but it is easily seen that one of these players helps the other a lot more (with his ability to make plays on the perimeter, attract attention, and make post entry passes for that other player).

In the end, big men in general are limited in their overall playmaking impact because they don't have the ball often and usually need the guards to set them up in the first place.

While I do think Kobe creates more for others, I think that Pau is one of the few exceptions to this statement due to his ability to take the ball inside, outside, and pass the ball so well. I'd hardly say his offensive skills are limited compared to the average big man.

JayW_1023
05-23-2010, 07:07 AM

Rondo has proven that putting a larger guard on him to zone him up hasn't worked. Ask Anthony Parker and LeBron James. He will just blow by Kobe or any other SG if he pushes the ball at halfcourt before the D sets. Send another defender and Rondo can make a split second decision with the pass.

Westbrook may be fast, but he doesn't have the court awareness or passing ability on the move that Rajon Rondo possesses. Send a help defender and Rondo finds the open man. Aside from the fact that Rondo is even faster than Westbrook.

kblo247
05-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Rondo has proven that putting a larger guard on him to zone him up hasn't worked. Ask Anthony Parker and LeBron James. He will just blow by Kobe or any other SG if he pushes the ball at halfcourt before the D sets. Send another defender and Rondo can make a split second decision with the pass.

Westbrook may be fast, but he doesn't have the court awareness or passing ability on the move that Rajon Rondo possesses. Send a help defender and Rondo finds the open man. Aside from the fact that Rondo is even faster than Westbrook.

Yet neither of them are as good as defenders as Kobe, and check the LA boxcores since those finals when Kobe is in the game on Rondo if you don't think it works ;)

kblo247
05-23-2010, 08:05 AM
While I do think Kobe creates more for others, I think that Pau is one of the few exceptions to this statement due to his ability to take the ball inside, outside, and pass the ball so well. I'd hardly say his offensive skills are limited compared to the average big man.

Having Lamar on the team kind of makes people ignore his skills in my honest opinion because of how skilled he is with the ball in his hands for his size.

Lil Rhody
05-23-2010, 08:24 AM
Sig says it all for me..... Rondo takes his game up a couple of notches during the playoffs and has been a beast

Montana_Rob
05-23-2010, 08:27 AM
bOOM bOOM Pau!! People say Rondo should be #1 but that is because he is a little guy that makes flamboyant moves. Pau is a PF/C so it dosnt always look like NBA JAMS when he plays but he is having a LARGE impact these playoffs

rjvacad
05-23-2010, 08:48 AM

Wrong!!!!!!!

69centers
05-23-2010, 08:52 AM
I saw another writer's poll before the Magic series that had Rondo at 1. After last night's diving strip on Williams, is there any doubt? Yahoo sports is not exactly the leader in sports reporting.

crossover3
05-23-2010, 09:06 AM
the number1 player in the playoffs is without question rondo.I hate the c's and i sill think they wouldn't have beaten the cavs if it wasn't for him.

JordansBulls
05-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Having Lamar on the team kind of makes people ignore his skills in my honest opinion because of how skilled he is with the ball in his hands for his size.

Two things here.

1. Rondo is wayyyyy better now than he was in 2008. It is like comparing Kobe in 1998 to Kobe in 2000. That is the difference in players from 2 years ago until now.

2. Kobe in 2008 was better than Kobe in 2010 and I don't even think that is a debate.

JayW_1023
05-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Yet neither of them are as good as defenders as Kobe, and check the LA boxcores since those finals when Kobe is in the game on Rondo if you don't think it works ;)

In the regular season maybe...I like to see him do it in the playoffs. Rondo has lifted his game to a whole new level in the postseason.

Kobe is a good defender...but he ain't significantly better than Parker and LBJ as an on the ball defender. And he certainly ain't quicker so Rondo will blow by him all the same.

daleja424
05-23-2010, 11:52 AM
huge flaws on this list... HUGE.

Shadee
05-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Jameer was beasting in the first 2 rounds. Not so much against the Celtics lol.

Reversed86Curse
05-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Of course as a C's fan I want to see Rondo at 1, but the list is fine in my opinion

NBAfan4life
05-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Two things here.

1. Rondo is wayyyyy better now than he was in 2008. It is like comparing Kobe in 1998 to Kobe in 2000. That is the difference in players from 2 years ago until now.

2. Kobe in 2008 was better than Kobe in 2010 and I don't even think that is a debate.

If you're trying to make a case for the celtics there are plenty of factors why it could still swing to La's favor.

2010 Kobe might not be 08 Kobe but it is not by much.

Lakers have HCA this time.

Rondo may be significantly better but the big three have declined more drastically than 08 Kobe to 10 Kobe with the exception of maybe Ray allen.

In 08 the Lakers did not have Arizia playing important minutes (was not a proven defender yet) now they have artest to guard one of there wings.

THIS SHOULD BE A GOOD SERIES IF IT HAPPENS

Both teams have played together for a while and really favors neither team significantly. On that note

Lakers FTW

LA_Raiders
05-23-2010, 02:24 PM
1 - Gasol/Rondo are playing amazing
2 - Kobe

I really can't think of a 3 because all lost, I'll go with Ray... losers dont count....

ARMIN12NBA
05-23-2010, 03:24 PM

That is why I said "in general." Pau is still limited in the fact that he doesn't get the ball until a guard can get him the ball. He definitely creates plays, but certainly nowhere near the rate that Kobe does.

JordansBulls
05-23-2010, 06:11 PM
If you're trying to make a case for the celtics there are plenty of factors why it could still swing to La's favor.

2010 Kobe might not be 08 Kobe but it is not by much.

Lakers have HCA this time.

Rondo may be significantly better but the big three have declined more drastically than 08 Kobe to 10 Kobe with the exception of maybe Ray allen.

In 08 the Lakers did not have Arizia playing important minutes (was not a proven defender yet) now they have artest to guard one of there wings.

THIS SHOULD BE A GOOD SERIES IF IT HAPPENS

Both teams have played together for a while and really favors neither team significantly. On that note

Lakers FTW

Yeah I know the HCA is huge. Kobe has only lost 1 series in his career with HCA.

ko8e24
05-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Yeah I know the HCA is huge. Kobe has only lost 1 series in his career with HCA.

And that was 2004 NBA Finals vs Detroit, and in that series, LA lost game 1 of the finals. They can't afford to do that anymore against Boston. I'm sure guys on that team like Kobe, Fish, Phil, (and yes, even Luke) will keep that in mind. That's why experience is so key. And I feel because of that experience of LA and the fact that they know very well Boston split the first 2 games in Cleveland (and game 5 in cleveland) and won both games in Orlando, LA is more fully aware and goes up 2-0, winning both games in LA. It won't be easy by any standard, but they'll get it done.

magichatnumber9
05-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Of course as a C's fan I want to see Rondo at 1, but the list is fine in my opinion
I agree 100%. Pau has been playing great

JordansBulls
05-24-2010, 05:46 PM
And that was 2004 NBA Finals vs Detroit, and in that series, LA lost game 1 of the finals. They can't afford to do that anymore against Boston. I'm sure guys on that team like Kobe, Fish, Phil, (and yes, even Luke) will keep that in mind. That's why experience is so key. And I feel because of that experience of LA and the fact that they know very well Boston split the first 2 games in Cleveland (and game 5 in cleveland) and won both games in Orlando, LA is more fully aware and goes up 2-0, winning both games in LA. It won't be easy by any standard, but they'll get it done.

I totally agree. I believe if the series is split after LA that Boston will be up 3-2 by the time they get back to LA.

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-25-2010, 03:21 AM

No, Kobe has not lost any series with home court advatage. Those were Shaqs Lakers. Kobe had nothing to do with winning or losing Finals. Shaq gets all the credit, Shaq gets all the blame. So Kobe's record is still unblemished in that respect.

knickfan4life
05-25-2010, 03:44 AM
come onn, you dont even have Steve Nash on the list. OK, Richardson is player stellar ball, but if not for Nash penetrating and breaking down the defense, Richardon could not do these things. Richardson is more of an X-factor than a top 10 player. this list lost all credibility because Nash is not on it

knickfan4life
05-25-2010, 03:47 AM
No, Kobe has not lost any series with home court advatage. Those were Shaqs Lakers. Kobe had nothing to do with winning or losing Finals. Shaq gets all the credit, Shaq gets all the blame. So Kobe's record is still unblemished in that respect.

than y is it that when people say he won those rings b/c of Shaq, people say no, shaq could not do it alone, bla bla bla, they were equal, i will take shaq 65, kobe 35, but still, kobe is unblemished? come onn

_KB24_
05-25-2010, 03:54 AM
than y is it that when people say he won those rings b/c of Shaq, people say no, shaq could not do it alone, bla bla bla, they were equal, i will take shaq 65, kobe 35, but still, kobe is unblemished? come onn

He was being sarcastic.

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-25-2010, 05:46 AM
He was being sarcastic.

Thanks. I heard some people put the sarcastic stuff in green. Maybe Ill try that next time

jackdawson
05-25-2010, 06:41 AM
Can't wait for the finals! Hope it doesn't get boring and ends by 4/5 games. Two teams with best all the big men in the league. Key will be Kobe and Rondo imo. Celtics have no one to stop Kobe and Lakers have no one to stop Rondo.

knickfan4life
05-25-2010, 06:56 AM
Can't wait for the finals! Hope it doesn't get boring and ends by 4/5 games. Two teams with best all the big men in the league. Key will be Kobe and Rondo imo. Celtics have no one to stop Kobe and Lakers have no one to stop Rondo.

nah man, its alllll about the big men. kobe and rondo gonna get their numbers, kobe more so than rondo, but the big men are gonna decide this series. the same way they did last time. in 08, the celtics herbed the lakers, they were herbin them like denzil did to young ray allen in he got game, like their lil sons. bynum and pau gotta step up and man up. lakers are a better team, they only way they lose is if they give it up.

with that being said, dont count orlando out of this series man... i have a feelin we watchin history in the makin'

knickfan4life
05-25-2010, 06:59 AM
Thanks. I heard some people put the sarcastic stuff in green. Maybe Ill try that next time

i cant see ur facial expressions in a forum llol, i thought u was bein serious man...guess it was kinda late too

hans dolo
05-25-2010, 08:01 AM
it disgusts me to say but rondo has been thee absolute best player in the playoffs this year, hands down!

Chronz
05-25-2010, 11:40 AM
good list

DengelBerry
05-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/The-top-10-players-of-the-2010-NBA-playoffs?urn=nba,242918)

Russell Westbrook should be up there before Dirk.

JordansBulls
05-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Russell Westbrook should be up there before Dirk.

Wade should be top 5.

DengelBerry
05-25-2010, 02:35 PM
So far in the NBA Playoffs who do you think has done the best for their team.

I think it has been Rajon Rondo so far. He has been the complete PG for them.

sixers247
05-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Totally agree. He makes that team.

BAMF
05-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Kobe

DengelBerry
05-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Kobe

Pau's done better than Kobe for the Lakers this Post Season

BAMF
05-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Kobe had a wet knee

Raph12
05-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Rondo (runs their offense), Dwight (anchors their defense/leading scorer), Kobe (Pau has also done a lot) and then Nash (Stat has also done a lot).

LTS
05-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Rondo deserve to be number 1 he is the reason they beat cleveland

Not even a big Rondo fan but he is the Celtics this year and the playoff story consistant and best player so far.

I think Nelson needed some more love and I like the J Rich acknowledgement
but Pau is to high for my likes.

Dwayne and lebron can put up numbers but losing does hurt there cases

daleja424
05-25-2010, 10:37 PM
wade has been the best in the playoffs... not his fault the rest of the team was bad. Looking at the numbers though... wade should be top 3 (if not the best)

33 ppg on 56.4% FGs + 7 assists + 1.6 blocks + 1.6 steals + 5.6 rebounds

Thats wet... and he did it against double teams from the Celts defense...

J$mo0th_3o5
05-25-2010, 10:50 PM
Wade did it against the Godly Celtics defense by himself!!!!!:speechless:

JordansBulls
05-25-2010, 11:19 PM
wade has been the best in the playoffs... not his fault the rest of the team was bad. Looking at the numbers though... wade should be top 3 (if not the best)

33 ppg on 56.4% FGs + 7 assists + 1.6 blocks + 1.6 steals + 5.6 rebounds

Thats wet... and he did it against double teams from the Celts defense...

:nod:

BkOriginalOne
05-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Rondo should be number one because he's doing it against Wade, Lebron, Howard,
Pau has faced KD, D will and now Nash.

Sorry, but Rondo has it tougher, especially being a guard and rising his play much more than Pau did. Isn't Rondo leading the post season in triple doubles (this year and last)

kArSoN RyDaH
05-26-2010, 01:15 AM
rondo 1.
kobe 2.
pau 3.

despite kobes "slow start" hes really picked it up. gasol has been amazing though too.

tredigs
05-26-2010, 01:24 AM
rondo 1.
kobe 2.
pau 3.

despite kobes "slow start" hes really picked it up. gasol has been amazing though too.

hah, even though I disagree with 99% of your posts, definitely agree here. He's been huge for them since the end of the OKC series.

JordansBulls
05-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Rondo should be number one because he's doing it against Wade, Lebron, Howard,
Pau has faced KD, D will and now Nash.

Sorry, but Rondo has it tougher, especially being a guard and rising his play much more than Pau did. Isn't Rondo leading the post season in triple doubles (this year and last)

Don't you mean against Arroyo, Mo and Jameer?

JordansBulls
05-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Where does Amare rank on this now?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-28-2010, 03:15 PM

Someone is defending Rose:whistle:

sean17c
05-28-2010, 03:16 PM
the list is bs

rose averaged 28 11 and 6

WITH NO CALLS

JordansBulls
05-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Someone is defending Rose:whistle:

And Jameer is starting to dominate Rondo. As Mo did late in the series against the Celtics.

kblo247
05-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Kobe has leapfrogged Rondo and Pau as of late

Since he got that 3 day rest before game 5 he has been by far the best player in the playoffs

bigsams50
05-28-2010, 05:23 PM

You act like rose doesnt gaurd the opposing teams point guards.

tredigs
05-28-2010, 05:28 PM
And Jameer is starting to dominate Rondo. As Mo did late in the series against the Celtics.

Your bias is bleeding through again, Mo didn't dominate a thing - even late in the series. Rondo's game 6 = 21pts (60% FG) / 12ast / 3reb / 5stls. Mo had a good first half, then went completely silent. And Mo was non-existent in games 4 and 5.

Jameer has had a couple great games, and Rondo's having trouble finishing at the rim with the best post defender in the league camped out there, but it's a far stretch to say that Jameer is dominating Rondo.

The best left overall have probably been:

1> Kobe

2a and 2b: Pau/Rondo

3a and 3b: Dwight/Jameer

Dwight's been a lot more aggressive and it's helping them, but his rock hands leave a lot to be desired on the ol' assist/turnover ratio.

edit: Paul Pierce has finally shown up in full force as well. He's been solid this series.

JordansBulls
05-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Your bias is bleeding through again, Mo didn't dominate a thing - even late in the series. Rondo's game 6 = 21pts (60% FG) / 12ast / 3reb / 5stls. Mo had a good first half, then went completely silent. And Mo was non-existent in games 4 and 5.

Jameer has had a couple great games, and Rondo's having trouble finishing at the rim with the best post defender in the league camped out there, but it's a far stretch to say that Jameer is dominating Rondo.

The best left overall have probably been:

1> Kobe

2a and 2b: Pau/Rondo

3a and 3b: Dwight/Jameer

Dwight's been a lot more aggressive and it's helping them, but his rock hands leave a lot to be desired on the ol' assist/turnover ratio.

edit: Paul Pierce has finally shown up in full force as well. He's been solid this series.

What bias? I haven't even mentioned any Bulls player being here.

http://blogs.bulls.com/chicago_bulls_blog/2010/05/cavs-out-of-playoffs-lebron-headed-to-bulls.html

Forget positions. He can play anywhere, and probably one of the bigger issues with the Cavs is he has monopolized the ball too much. That took Mo Williams, for instance, out of games, and I thought the first half Thursday for the Cavs was better because Williams plays better with the ball. When James took over more after halftime, Williams became more a standstill player, which is when hes not at his best.

That is why Mo became ineffective.

td0tsfinest
05-28-2010, 06:56 PM
I think Rondo has been the best player so far. Gasol has been a good choice but I've started to hear people start whispering "soft" since game 3 and 4 of the WCF.

kArSoN RyDaH
05-28-2010, 07:04 PM
as of right now kobe bryant is number one.. he put up 30+ in 8 of the last 9 games i believe. he was one assist shy of a triple double last game and hes been close to a triple double the last couple of games..

kobe

pau
rondo

SteveNash
05-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Gasol was soft against the Thunder. He was just lucky he had Boozer to out soft him. Gasol is certainly a player that's been putting up empty stats during the playoffs.

shep33
05-28-2010, 07:12 PM
I think #1 is between Kobe and Rondo... they've both been terrific.

kArSoN RyDaH
05-28-2010, 07:16 PM
I think #1 is between Kobe and Rondo... they've both been terrific.

rondo was absent in both those losses. kobe has had his presence felt every game putting up amazing numbers.

kobe

rondo/pau

JordansBulls
05-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Gasol was soft against the Thunder. He was just lucky he had Boozer to out soft him. Gasol is certainly a player that's been putting up empty stats during the playoffs.

Empty???

SteveNash
05-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Empty???

Less meaningful.

JNA17
05-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Right now, the way kobe has played the last 10 games, 9 out of ten of them scoring 30 points, almost got a triple double 4 times by being 1 shy while scoring either 38, or 32, 30, it's gotta be him. Yes im a lakers fan but it's not like it's a totally outrageous pick, he's been just downright amazing the past 10 games.

2nd is rondo even though he has been declining but same thing with pau, and either dwight or jameer nelson. Nelson has been the xfactor in most of the magic vs celtics series so it's a hard pick.

_KB24_
05-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Kobe has to be number one right now. He is playing the best basketball of his career, no one is in a good a zone as him right now. Best player in the world.

Jenceman
05-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Less meaningful.

You serious? Gasol averaged 18, 12, 4 assists and a block in the first round and he's averaging 22, 7, 4 assists, and 2 blocks in the conference finals. Not exactly terrible.

Jenceman
05-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Kobe's averaging:

33 points
9.6 assists
7.4 rebounds
1.4 bpg
53% FG
44.4% 3PFG
2.6 TO

That has got to be one of the greatest playoff series performances ever, if not the best. I'd like to see anyone who has put together a better playoff series.

CowboysKB24
05-28-2010, 11:40 PM
If Kobe doesn't deserve #1 than he is definitely #2. Gasol is playing great, but he isn't playing better than Rondo and Kobe. Kobe's numbers in the WCF are absolutely ridiculous for him. I know LeBron puts those numbers up every night (almost), but Kobe is averaging 6 more points a game, 6 more assists a game than his season average. His shooting percentage across the board is up than average. That is impressive. Talk about stepping it up in the playoffs, that is incredible. I know I sound like the biggest homer, but this ^^^ is true.

Rondo has been the vocal point for the Celtics and the biggest reason for their success.

Kobe and Rondo are tied at #1.

tredigs
05-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Kobe's averaging:

33 points
9.6 assists
7.4 rebounds
1.4 bpg
53% FG
44.4% 3PFG
2.6 TO

That has got to be one of the greatest playoff series performances ever, if not the best. I'd like to see anyone who has put together a better playoff series.

Those are damn impressive for Kobe, but Lebron averages similar numbers in the playoffs virtually every year.

In 08-09 he averaged 35pts / 9reb / 7ast with a PER of 37.4 over three different series.

Also, Michael Jordan is on line 2.

Edit: As a rookie: Kareem averaged 35pts 17rebs 4ast in the playoffs.

Shaq averaged 30pts 15rebs 3asts in back to back years, throughout the entire playoffs, on route to their
championships.

I could probably do this all night. Suffice to say... he's been great, but there's been better.

Jenceman
05-29-2010, 12:06 AM
You're right, but Kobe's still done it more efficiently.

tredigs
05-29-2010, 12:24 AM
You're right, but Kobe's still done it more efficiently.

Not really. Jordan and Lebron have had series with as good or better efficiency while putting up those numbers. Lebron's 35/9/7 last year over three series he was shooting 51%. Shaq and Kareem were obviously highly efficient. I'm sure there have been plenty others, those are just the first four people I double checked on.

Series isn't over, though. Excited to see what he's got left and how he'll fair in the finals against a team that actually plays defense...

Lakersfan2483
05-29-2010, 12:40 AM
This is the best all around perfomance from Kobe that I have seen playoff wise since his 01 perfomances against the Spurs and Kings. He was brilliant against Denver and Utah in 08 and 09 as well.

In terms of playmaking and rebounding, etc., Kobe has never played this great in a series. He's had better scoring series' but his floor game has never been better. His efficiency is off the charts.

JordansBulls
05-29-2010, 12:41 AM
Kobe's averaging:

33 points
9.6 assists
7.4 rebounds
1.4 bpg
53% FG
44.4% 3PFG
2.6 TO

How about we keep the thread topic on guys who played in this year's playoffs since that is what the topic is about?

_KB24_
05-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Is their any doubt left now? Rondo has slipped a little and I knew it in my heart, that the C's would need Pierce to be at his best to make them serious in the Finals. I think by the end of the Finals, this is how it will look like:

1. Kobe
2. Pierce
3. Rondo
4. Gasol
5. Wade/Dwight

Bruno
05-30-2010, 11:22 PM
How about we keep the thread topic on guys who played in this year's playoffs since that is what the topic is about?

haha, common JB. Jordan has to have at least one series with better numbers than that...

IDB Josh M
05-31-2010, 12:01 AM
After the outting Gasol did in Game 6 of the WCF, I'm surprised he's number one. Rondo has been a super star consistently.

CowboysKB24
05-31-2010, 12:34 AM

Your quote is great. Russell is overrated.

PHX2daDEATH
05-31-2010, 01:12 AM
Yahoo sports is a joke... Deron and Dirk over Nash? please

jbeezy
05-31-2010, 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by Raph12
Dwight is better than Russell and any other center not named Chamberlain...Russell was overrated.

:laugh:

evadatam5150
05-31-2010, 05:02 PM

FAIL..!!! :facepalm:

Kobe has been stellar and Pau has been absolutely solid and consistent and the Lakers struggle to win without him.. I, and most Lakers fans, would absolutely have to agree with this slotting..

tredigs
05-31-2010, 05:06 PM
FAIL..!!! :facepalm:

Kobe has been stellar and Pau has been absolutely solid and consistent and the Lakers struggle to win without him.. I, and most Lakers fans, would absolutely have to agree with this slotting..

Did you miss the last series? At the time this thread was made Pau had been better. But at this point? It's Kobe. He absolutely killed it the last two series. And really ever since the end of the Thunder series.

Chronz
05-31-2010, 08:52 PM
Kobe's averaging:

33 points
9.6 assists
7.4 rebounds
1.4 bpg
53% FG
44.4% 3PFG
2.6 TO

Make a thread on it

Jenceman
05-31-2010, 08:54 PM
Not really. Jordan and Lebron have had series with as good or better efficiency while putting up those numbers. Lebron's 35/9/7 last year over three series he was shooting 51%. Shaq and Kareem were obviously highly efficient. I'm sure there have been plenty others, those are just the first four people I double checked on.

Series isn't over, though. Excited to see what he's got left and how he'll fair in the finals against a team that actually plays defense...

Yeah, I saw that. Kobe still did it more efficiently, so far at least.

JordansBulls
06-21-2010, 12:59 AM
How would this list look now?

Tony_Starks
06-21-2010, 01:28 AM
I think its still pretty close. I'd probably have to move Howard up though. That was made when they were 0-2 but the rest of the series he really manned up and played IMO the best ball I've even seen him play.

Also I'd probably drop off Nelson and put KG in his place. He seemed to play a lil better as the playoffs wore on....