PDA

View Full Version : Are the Conference Finals being overshadowed?

Stuckey#3
05-22-2010, 12:05 AM
I was watching ESPN today and Jeff Van Gundy made a good point: All of the Free Agent speculation is overshadowing the professional basketball that is still being played. Why is so much attention going towards the free agent market when there are four good team still competing for a championship? Not to mention most of the marquee free agents in the pool have never won a ship.

Jonathan2323
05-22-2010, 12:07 AM
I think it has been overshadowing the playoffs ever since LeBron was booted out of the playoffs.

RapOZo
05-22-2010, 12:13 AM
I think it has been overshadowing the playoffs ever since LeBron was booted out of the playoffs.

Agree, lebrons future is now getting more attention than who's getting the championship, and thats just sad

chitownbears89
05-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Well, there is a lot of media in chicago and new york. Plus we all know how much espn is on bron's nuts.

jackdawson
05-22-2010, 12:23 AM
True that. LeBron James is the most interesting thing in Basketball world right now and will be till July.

Reyes6
05-22-2010, 12:24 AM
What's overshadowing the playoffs is the fact that only 1 game has been close and it's practically guaranteed we're getting a rematch of either 2 years ago or last year. It's overshadowing itself.

Has a bit to do with LeBron, but it could gain the spotlight again in the Finals.

Robbw241
05-22-2010, 12:25 AM
Definitely IMO. The whole Lebron sweepstakes has taken center-stage and the lack of competitiveness so far in the series' isn't helping.

0nekhmer
05-22-2010, 12:28 AM
because Kobe has enough rings.
also.. each game is like a blowout, kinda boring to watch

commonsense12
05-22-2010, 12:33 AM
Yeah i agree with most people and the reality is the playoffs this year have been a big bore. Wish the NBA would go to a hard cap so teams would be more interesting.

NYtilIdie
05-22-2010, 12:36 AM
Yeah because this years playoffs have been boring as ****! Nobody wants to watch the Suns get the living **** kicked out of them for two more games. Hopefully the Magic put up more of a fight so I can at least get excited about a game for once in the playoffs.

Aside from the Mavs/Spurs series this years playoffs have been forgetable.

If Lebron and Bosh/Wade join together it changes the whole land scape of the NBA which is why the off-season is a crucial one.

IAmKira
05-22-2010, 12:51 AM
Lebron pulled an A-Rod on us.

GoatMilk
05-22-2010, 01:10 AM
^lol

but i dont think the finals would be overshadowed. Celtics/Lakers is about as good a Final as any sport can give imo

it would take LBJ something crazy to get some more spotlight. (though right now isnt really his fault, just the media being bored)

iggypop123
05-22-2010, 01:29 AM
the competition level is repsonsible for the lack of attention. like many have said just skip to the lakers celtics. magic had tough battles but the suns dont look like they even belong on the same court as the lakers.

ko8e24
05-22-2010, 01:37 AM
The conference finals are dull.

Once the Finals start.......watch out for the media and every nba telecast and nbatv, and abc, and tnt, and espn, espn2, etc. etc.

IT'LL BE HUGE!!!!!!

downsos
05-22-2010, 01:46 AM
It's been boring so far.

Korman12
05-22-2010, 02:01 AM
I was watching ESPN today and Jeff Van Gundy made a good point: All of the Free Agent speculation is overshadowing the professional basketball that is still being played. Why is so much attention going towards the free agent market when there are four good team still competing for a championship? Not to mention most of the marquee free agents in the pool have never won a ship.

Because 2009-10 was (in comparison to others) a very lackluster season, the playoffs have been, at best, so-so and the summer of 2010 has been talked about for years.

itsripcity32
05-22-2010, 02:13 AM
cus the suns are 0-2
cus the magic are 0-2

wileyisTOFU
05-22-2010, 02:24 AM
he should announce where hes going during the finals just to be a dick

NBAfan4life
05-22-2010, 02:49 AM
Yeah i agree with most people and the reality is the playoffs this year have been a big bore. Wish the NBA would go to a hard cap so teams would be more interesting.

I'm not in favor for a hard cap. I like seeing teams stockpile talent.

Yeah because this years playoffs have been boring as ****! Nobody wants to watch the Suns get the living **** kicked out of them for two more games. Hopefully the Magic put up more of a fight so I can at least get excited about a game for once in the playoffs.

Aside from the Mavs/Spurs series this years playoffs have been forgetable.

If Lebron and Bosh/Wade join together it changes the whole land scape of the NBA which is why the off-season is a crucial one.

The Lakers OKC was a great series, my only complaint is I wish they did not play the Lakers so I could of rooted for them and also seen them play in the second round

Iron24th
05-22-2010, 03:03 AM
Don't worry,if the Finals is L.A-Boston,the spotlights will be on again.

Kevj77
05-22-2010, 03:06 AM
My opinion is that there is to much time off. There are to many days off between games. It really shows when there are sweeps like we had this year. A week off between rounds? Why?

LkrLand
05-22-2010, 03:37 AM
As an avid basketball fan, I have been exteremly bored with the playoffs this year. There's no intrigue to most of the series'. I just hope that all the teams step up and make it a good series. We'll see.

PHX2daDEATH
05-22-2010, 06:19 AM
The whole damn playoffs have been boring, one game 7 in the first 3 rounds.. and that was a blowout of course..how many sweeps have we had? the most exciting series was really the Lakers and Thunder and that didnt even go 7 games.. The NBA should really think about contraction

FilthyGene
05-22-2010, 07:12 AM
The reason is because the conference finals this year is a wash on both sides. LA is too big for Phoenix and Boston is too experienced for the Magic. I'd rather see Boston and LA again anyways. Orlando would roll over and die again like last year if they faced LA. Yup, like K.G. says..."It feels like 08' again"

Sportfan
05-22-2010, 08:22 AM
Because everyone who has a chance in FA, isn't in the Conference finals. 26 teams are getting prepared for the offseason

RipVW
05-22-2010, 08:43 AM
1. The much anticipated 2010 FA class is at hand, especially LeBron
2. Too much time between games
3. Lack of competitive games

JordansBulls
05-22-2010, 09:20 AM

Yes they are. More are concerned about the FA class. Only thing that will keep their mind off of them is a BOS vs LA Finals.

OT Thriller
05-22-2010, 02:09 PM
1. The much anticipated 2010 FA class is at hand, especially LeBron
2. Too much time between games
3. Lack of competitive games

Boom, boom, and boom.

fadedmario
05-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Biggest free agaent class ever. Of course it will overshadow CF. If Kobe wins another ring that will get the media talking about him for awhile

Wilson
05-22-2010, 03:59 PM
It doesn't help that there's been such a long time between games two and three.

For what it's worth though, it may end up helping the quality of the games. All this extra time and little attention may help the Suns and Magic get re-focused, which could mean closer games this week.

JasonJohnHorn
05-22-2010, 04:15 PM
I think part of the reason that the conference finals are not as interesting as they could potential be is because the suns, as of yet have no answer for the Lakers and Boston has already won two on the road, making both series look like a formality and most people are just waiting for the Boston/LA rematch.

Also...when there is three or four days between games, people have nothing else to talk about!

Perhaps if there was a game last night, people would be talking about it!

And yes, free agency is a big looming shadow, but it has been all season.

drobe86
05-22-2010, 09:46 PM
The playoffs are just plain boring. Its the same teams year in year out, no parity. whatever team lebrons on, the lakers, and magic stockpile their teams. It's really become like college basketball. Same teams unc, duke, kansas, or ucla will win it always....

Sixerlover
05-22-2010, 10:02 PM
They aren't all that exciting right now. There's two sweeps brewing everyone is either waiting for the championship, waiting for the draft or waiting for Free Agency.

D-Will4Prez
05-22-2010, 10:03 PM

Because nobody cares if the Lakers or Celtics win ANOTHER championship :rolleyes:

Illa215
05-22-2010, 10:13 PM
The NBA playoffs as a whole is being overshadowed due to it being the NBA. The NHL is getting more coverage at this point, to go along with MLB. The NBA is just rapidly decreasing, and it is really worrysome. More than half of the league has a terrible attendence percentage. We just need to face it... The NBA is rapidly falling. :(

Oh, and I am not watching basketball if a team like New Jersey or the Knicks pulls off a way to get two of the top Free Agents. The talent distribution in this league is atrocious. That's why no one is watching or paying attention. There is NEVER a huge upset, ala the Canadiens(8 seed) defeating the Capitals (1 seed) in the NHL playoffs.

Illa215
05-22-2010, 10:15 PM
The playoffs are just plain boring. Its the same teams year in year out, no parity. whatever team lebrons on, the lakers, and magic stockpile their teams. It's really become like college basketball. Same teams unc, duke, kansas, or ucla will win it always....

Exactly. The only upset has been the Celtics over the Cavs, and imo that's not much of an upset. Both are very good teams.

There just isn't any talent distribution. Until that happens, the NBA is going to be in the back of America's minds, as hockey is quickly rising due to the great Olympic run by the USA.

iggypop123
05-22-2010, 10:17 PM
about half of the people will just hate on the lakers or celtics. but the real reason its being overshadowed is the competition level. boring basketball. the only good basketball during the playoffs was the utah laker game 3. and that only lasted 4 min. so all we have are 4 exciting minutes of basketball.

Jaji
05-22-2010, 10:19 PM

There are only 2 teams actually competing right now. And this is the best FA class since the 96 class that featured MJ and a young Shaq. This offseason will totally reshape the face of the NBA. That's pretty big IMO. Meanwhile, another Lakers-Celtics Finals? For what, the 100th time? :yawn:

PHX2daDEATH
05-22-2010, 10:47 PM
7 out the 57 playoff games were decided by 3 points or less.. there were a few games decided by 4 but still.. Im sure this is frightening to the powers that be in the nba offices .. they need to cut some of the bad teams that aren't winning and aren't making any money and have little to no fan base (ahem Minnesota) at this point i almost want to see a Lakers-Celtics finals..no im not going to root for the Lakers to beat my Suns but I see a potentially great series that would make up for the crap thats been displayed in these playoffs (minus the Suns sweeping the spurs.. Outside fans will say that was boring but for a suns fan it was pure heaven)