PDA

View Full Version : which individual nba award is the best?

kArSoN RyDaH
05-21-2010, 04:07 PM
some people consider the finals mvp greater than regular season mvp. some people consider scoring title better than defensive player of the year. out of all of the awards which one do you consider the best and why?

ballpd05
05-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Finals MVP. That means you were the best player on the Championship Winning team.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-21-2010, 04:38 PM
finals mvp - best player on best team

gmm902
05-21-2010, 04:41 PM
rookie of the year is the best individual award because you only have one chance to get it in your entire career as an NBA player

tredigs
05-21-2010, 04:44 PM
lol @ the Lakers fan making this. Yes, the Finals MVP is obviously the award most players will want, being that it comes with the ring. Although it doesn't mean you're even the best player on the best team -or even had the best playoff series-, it just means that in that particular series you played the best or drew the most recognition for your team. e.g. Tony Parker winning one for SA, and countless others.

tredigs
05-21-2010, 04:55 PM
rookie of the year is the best individual award because you only have one chance to get it in your entire career as an NBA player

A lot of players do say they covet that award a lot for that exact reason, but I still have a feeling that if they took a poll of which one they'd rather have going into summer camp before their rookie season, most would naturally choose finals MVP... I know I would.

That said, you could make the argument that the Finals MVP isn't exactly an individual award, for the fact that you can't be in the place to win it unless your team is the best in the league.

SteveNash
05-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Finals MVP. That means you were the best player on the Championship Winning team.

Not really.

jackdawson
05-21-2010, 05:06 PM
I know why lakers fans are making this but this year it's gonna go to Rajon "The Great" Rondo.

C_Mund
05-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Sportsmanship.

*cough*

tredigs
05-21-2010, 05:22 PM
the top 10 players in history are on that list because of their finals mvps not season mvps. oh and just because a player wins season MVP does not mean your the best player in the league.

So you're going to tell me that when Jordan couldn't quite get the right pieces around him to win the championship in his first six seasons - while being a perennial all star, an MVP winner and averaging 33/6/6 w/ 3 steals a game during that stretch while widely being considered the best in the league- he wouldn't have gone down as a top 10 player of all time had those pieces never came?

Oscar Robertson comes to mind. Most would put him as a top ten ever, but he spent his legacy with sub par teammates and wasn't able to win a ring until he was past his prime and not even the best player on the team - that went to Kareem. No Finals MVP, but definitely top ten all time.

Again, Finals MVP = TEAM award more than anything.

I know why lakers fans are making this? But this year it's gonna go to Rajon "The Great" Rondo.

Truth. 'Cept you got his name wrong - Rajon "The Green Goblin*" Rondo ; ]

GSW Hoops
05-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Probably MVP. We won't remember the Finals MVP 20 years from now, but we will probably remember the regular season MVP.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Probably MVP. We won't remember the Finals MVP 20 years from now, but we will probably remember the regular season MVP.

what:confused:

DMasta718
05-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Finals MVP

kArSoN RyDaH
05-21-2010, 06:07 PM
lol @ the Lakers fan making this. Yes, the Finals MVP is obviously the award most players will want, being that it comes with the ring. Although it doesn't mean you're even the best player on the best team -or even had the best playoff series-, it just means that in that particular series you played the best or drew the most recognition for your team. e.g. Tony Parker winning one for SA, and countless others.

what does me being a laker fan have anything to do with which award is the best? :rolleyes:

GSW Hoops
05-21-2010, 06:10 PM
what:confused:

In 20 years, we will all know how many titles Tim Duncan won. But we won't remember how many Finals MVPs he had. It's a lot like Super Bowl MVP in football.

GSW Hoops
05-21-2010, 06:12 PM
MVP proves you've dominated for 82 games against every team in the NBA. Finals MVP proves that you've played well for a 4-7 game stretch against a single team.

They're both fantastic awards, but I'd take the regular season MVP.

_KB24_
05-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Any individual accolade is a great achievement. It depends on what type of player you are, that determines the award you are eying. I really like the DPOY award because it is the one award which has generally a league wide consensus.

Chronz
05-21-2010, 07:28 PM
So youd take Cedric Maxwells MVP over Brons?

igPay atinLay
05-21-2010, 07:47 PM
I picked 6th man almost picked citizenship...does the NBA have a comeback player of the year...I saw most improved but if they have comeback player I would have taken that.

igPay atinLay
05-21-2010, 07:53 PM
what does me being a laker fan have anything to do with which award is the best? :rolleyes:

Never thought I'd do this, but I have to agree with you....He asked what award we all think is best being a Lakers fan is irrelevant to his question.

I am seriously thinking of leaving this site at least for a while because so few people actually read posts and respond to what people said.

I can't stand the Lakers and I think Kobe is a horrible human being and the world would be better off if he was never born but people need to actually read posts, understand them, and then respond. Don't bother posting if your going to ignore the point of the post you are commenting on and you just want to give someone a hard time because they like something you don't.

JordansBulls
05-21-2010, 07:55 PM
I voted Finals MVP, but that is only if you have a finals where no one else has a case for Finals MVP. 2008, 2007, 2004, 1981 aren't really examples of good finals mvp winners.

JordansBulls
05-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Overall I think Season MVP as long as you win the title that year is the best.

jackdawson
05-21-2010, 08:01 PM
I voted Finals MVP, but that is only if you have a finals where no one else has a case for Finals MVP. 2008, 2007, 2004, 1981 aren't really examples of good finals mvp winners.

Probably 2006 was the best example of a finals mvp ;)

RapOZo
05-22-2010, 12:00 AM
I know why lakers fans are making this but this year it's gonna go to Rajon "The Great" Rondo.

dude, that thread was brought by one user and you are talking about "LAKERS Fans bringin this..."
:eyebrow: you have issues

RapOZo
05-22-2010, 12:03 AM

bro, you are a freakin hoops'opedia

tr4shb0t
05-22-2010, 02:38 AM
finals mvp - coming through when it matters

GSW Hoops
05-22-2010, 03:05 AM
Of all these awards, coach of the year seems like more of a curse than anything.

Bold = fired

2009-10 Scott Brooks Oklahoma City
2008-09 Mike Brown Cleveland
2007-08 Byron Scott New Orleans
2006-07 Sam Mitchell Toronto
2005-06 Avery Johnson Dallas

LkrLand
05-22-2010, 03:38 AM

I agree

ryder78c
05-22-2010, 03:53 AM
MVP

and finals mvp

i can remember finals mvp then the season mvps i only remember a couple season mvps

Lebron
lebron
Kobe
Nash
Nash
KG
Duncan
Duncan
AI
SHAQ

finals mvps i remember

kobe bryant
Paul Pierce
i think tony parker
Wade
Tim duncan
billups
duncan
shaq
shaq
shaq
duncan
mj
mj
mj
hakeem
hakeem
mj
mj
mj

tredigs
05-22-2010, 04:15 AM
Never thought I'd do this, but I have to agree with you....He asked what award we all think is best being a Lakers fan is irrelevant to his question.

I am seriously thinking of leaving this site at least for a while because so few people actually read posts and respond to what people said.

I can't stand the Lakers and I think Kobe is a horrible human being and the world would be better off if he was never born but people need to actually read posts, understand them, and then respond. Don't bother posting if your going to ignore the point of the post you are commenting on and you just want to give someone a hard time because they like something you don't.

Callm down, Nancy - I read between the lines and poked a little jab at the guy. I'm from the bay, if I don't take at least one jab a day at a Laker fan the world doesn't feel right.

Anyway I'm sticking to finals MVP, for the fact that it comes with that oh-so-sweet jewelry.

JiffyMix88
05-22-2010, 04:40 AM
finals mvp..........:hide:

whats funny is, i bet the only person who voted for defensive player of the year was a magic's fan :p

JiffyMix88
05-22-2010, 04:45 AM

yes because its not asking who was the best player to win such and such award its which award is the best and finals mvp would be the best. would you take steve nash mvp over d-wades finals mvp?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-22-2010, 04:53 AM

Who's Bron??:confused:

And like I said finals MVP=best player on best team

Chronz
05-22-2010, 05:18 AM
Who's Bron??:confused:

And like I said finals MVP=best player on best team

LE BRON

So you think Maxwell was the best Celtic?

ps voted ROY

KG21
05-22-2010, 05:18 AM
Defensive player of the year!!

Period!

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-22-2010, 05:33 AM
LE BRON

So you think Maxwell was the best Celtic?

ps voted ROY

No, he wasn't, but in the finals he was

But LeBron hasn't won finals MVP!
Or you messed up something or what...:shrug:

rhino17
05-22-2010, 05:50 AM
finals mvp for sure. I'm sure David Robinson would have given up his 1995 MVP for Hakeem's 1995 Finals MVP after he raped him head to head. Regular season MVP means very little if you don't come through come playoff time.

all the regular season awards, especially today is a media popularity contest. Finals mvp is something undisputable that you have to prove legitimately.

Evolution23
05-22-2010, 06:51 AM
MVP proves you've dominated for 82 games against every team in the NBA. Finals MVP proves that you've played well for a 4-7 game stretch against a single team.

They're both fantastic awards, but I'd take the regular season MVP.

How can u say Regular season mvp is better? If you win a Finals MVP, that probably means you won the title so you are the best player in the world already. MVP desn't mean anything without a ring!

ryder78c
05-22-2010, 07:32 AM
finals mvp..........:hide:

whats funny is, i bet the only person who voted for defensive player of the year was a magic's fan :p

yeah most likely..... Ben wallace defensive player more then once camby and artest also not the best at all!

One award i dont see is all star game MVP playing against all the all stars in the nba should get a mention its not the biggest feat but its gotta be one of the hardest to win

Kakaroach
05-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Finals MVP, mainly cuz it means you won a championship.

basketfan4life
05-22-2010, 10:14 AM
of course finals MVP, it means you won it all which is all that matters, sir charles, nash, nowitzki, malone all throw away their regular seasons mvps for one c'ship in a heart beath.

defender4m
05-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Finals MVP

AntiG
05-22-2010, 11:53 AM
obviously finals MVP. the ring is all that matters... and not only that, the MVP of the championship is the player that stepped up biggest at the most important time.

AntiG
05-22-2010, 11:57 AM
In 20 years, we will all know how many titles Tim Duncan won. But we won't remember how many Finals MVPs he had. It's a lot like Super Bowl MVP in football.

I don't know about you, but people remember Joe Montana a LOT more for his Super Bowl MVPs than his league MVPs particularly for his immaculate performances during the biggest games.

Montana_Rob
05-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Finals MVP by a long ways. 95% of the time that means you won the chip

Vidball
05-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Finals MVP because it means a ring comes along with it (unless you're Jerry West) :)

SAiNi_21
05-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Finals MVP because it means that you were the most valuable player on the best team in league

tredigs
05-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Finals MVP because it means that you were the most valuable player on the best team in league

I love these comments in every thread that just echo word for word earlier posts. Very insightful = /

Not calling you out specifically, every single thread has at least 5-10 posts like this. Kind of weak.

Korman12
05-22-2010, 07:25 PM
I'd say finals MVP and MVP are equal.

Like everyone else said, finals MVP means you're the best player on (usually) the championship team, and you're only competing against the (usually) second best team in the league.

However, that's decided over a 4 - 7 game stretch, where doing it over 82 games is usually more of a testament to consistency, rather than being hot at the right time. Plus, the competition for regular season MVP is much larger.

Again: finals MVP - when it counts the most; MVP - all season long.

Reyes6
05-22-2010, 07:32 PM
MVP, because if you are the best player in the league with an awful supporting cast then you have no opportunity to win Finals MVP. You can be the best player on the best team and still not be top 5 best player in the NBA at the time. For example- Chauncey Billups... totally deserved the award but not even close to the best player in the league at the time.

MickeyMgl
05-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Finals MVP is the most overrated award. It does not signify who is the leader of a team, or its best player overall. It is merely the product of matchups in one series against one opponent. It's entirely circumstantial.

Once you get to the Finals, it's all about winning, and you exploit whatever matchup you have to in order to win. Often, it's a star, but it may also result in an occasional role player winning the Finals MVP.

I chose season MVP because it's usually earned (when it's not Iverson or Nash) over the course of a season against all teams.

Many people choose Finals MVP based on the mistaken assumption that it necessarily means you won a championship. Although it's only happened once, the test of how overrated Finals MVP is lies in separating it from the championship. Ask Jerry West which is better. Finals MVP and no championship, or a championship and no Finals MVP? Then you see how pointless Finals MVP is.

MickeyMgl
05-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Finals MVP because it means a ring comes along with it (unless you're Jerry West) :)

So, since a ring doesn't necessarily come with it, then that's not a strong argument, is it? I mean, what do you suppose West's opinion is on this question?

Vidball
05-22-2010, 07:51 PM
So, since a ring doesn't necessarily come with it, then that's not a strong argument, is it? I mean, what do you suppose West's opinion is on this question?

A ring coming along with Finals MVP about 98% of the time is a pretty strong argument. Do you have a better argument for any of the other awards? Would LeBron trade his 2009-2010 Finals MVP for a shot at a ring/Finals MVP? I think so.

MickeyMgl
05-22-2010, 07:52 PM

More like, it means you had the best series against one opponent.

Burkey3472
05-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Finals MVP means your walking away with jewelry so i'd lean that way.

MickeyMgl
05-25-2010, 07:54 AM
A ring coming along with Finals MVP about 98% of the time is a pretty strong argument. Do you have a better argument for any of the other awards? Would LeBron trade his 2009-2010 Finals MVP for a shot at a ring/Finals MVP? I think so.

He'd trade it for a ring. He could probably care less about the Finals MVP. If we have to slash it together as "ring/Finals MVP", or say "as long as a championship comes with it", then that weakens the argument for the award. Does it have merit in and of itself, without a championship (which it is not necessarily attached to)?

The season MVP is self-explanatory. No such explanation is necessary. It's an individual award, simple as that. Not a team achievement masquerading as an individual award, which is what the Finals MVP does. Teams win in the Finals.

MickeyMgl
05-25-2010, 07:57 AM
Finals MVP means your walking away with jewelry so i'd lean that way.

It doesn't always mean that. Even if it's only happened once, what if it happens again? Would you still lean that way?

Chronz
05-25-2010, 11:30 AM
yes because its not asking who was the best player to win such and such award its which award is the best and finals mvp would be the best. would you take steve nash mvp over d-wades finals mvp?
Id take Wades because of how he won it, but your Nash example isnt very telling. Atleast Nash is one of the best players in the league. Cedric was like his teams 4th best player.

No, he wasn't, but in the finals he was

But LeBron hasn't won finals MVP!
Or you messed up something or what...:shrug:

So if you dont even have to be the best player on your team to win the award in 4-7 games, why should I consider it more impressive than a guy who had to PROVE he was the best for an entire season?

The fact that a guy like Cedric Maxwell could win the award is why its not as impressive......

Chronz
05-25-2010, 11:33 AM
finals mvp for sure. I'm sure David Robinson would have given up his 1995 MVP for Hakeem's 1995 Finals MVP after he raped him head to head. Regular season MVP means very little if you don't come through come playoff time.

all the regular season awards, especially today is a media popularity contest. Finals mvp is something undisputable that you have to prove legitimately.
Its indisputable because there is not much competition for the award. Its pretty much cut and dry aside from a few instances (Manu/Duncan, TP winnin it, Maxwell etc...) the only great players who can compete for that award are usually those who were blessed with dominant teammates.

DengelBerry
05-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Finals MVP because Lebrick will never get that.

It doesn't matter what you do in the regular season, all that matters is in the Playoffs.

ShockerArt
05-25-2010, 12:31 PM
It seems pretty simple to me. You have to be the best player over the course of a season (or at least viewed as such by the voting panel) to win the MVP. You don't even have to be the best player on your own team to win the Finals MVP. The regular season MVP has to have a dominant season from start to finish, against all opponents. The Finals MVP has to have one good series against one team.