PDA

View Full Version : Howry Signing Official: Berg to Iowa, Patton DFA'd

Jilly Bohnson
05-21-2010, 02:50 PM
To make room for Bob Howry, #Cubs to option Justin Berg to Iowa. To open spot on 40-man, David Patton designated for assignment

- Muskrat's Twitter

DLEE4MVP
05-21-2010, 02:52 PM
I just threw up the 4 natty lights I had for lunch...

Jilly Bohnson
05-21-2010, 02:55 PM
I just threw up the 4 natty lights I had for lunch...

That's probably because you drank f'ing Natty Light.

Rndy
05-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Ugh hes probably better then Berg, not by much.

gocubs2118
05-21-2010, 02:57 PM
So we had Patton up all of last year just so we could DFA him now?

DLEE4MVP
05-21-2010, 02:58 PM
That's probably because you drank f'ing Natty Light.

I am a broke *** college student, I don't have much of a choice here...

davidfox11
05-21-2010, 02:59 PM
great now grabow had a right handed partner in crime

Jilly Bohnson
05-21-2010, 03:01 PM

Me too. But at least go with Keystone. Or pony up like 3 more bucks for Bud Light. Natty's the worst, except of course for High Life :puke:

thawv
05-21-2010, 03:02 PM
I can't figure out how Homerun Howry is going to help us out much. He sucked before.........and he sucks even more now. He couldn't make the team with the worst pen in all of baseball. What does that tell ya?

redwhitenblue
05-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Christ.

Forget Jay Jackson and the other 2 dozen relievers we have that could post Howry-like numbers, let's just sign this old guy who is going to help this team -0- for the future.

DLEE4MVP
05-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Me too. But at least go with Keystone. Or pony up like 3 more bucks for Bud Light. Natty's the worst, except of course for High Life :puke:

God I ****ing hate Keystone so much, I can't drink that piss...I usually go with Bud Light but I had a few stragglers in my fridge from the party last night. High Life is god awful too...

Ron!n
05-21-2010, 03:05 PM
********. Bull ****ing ****.

You put the guy in the minors first, you dont bring him up to blow games for us.

Stupid stupid move.

scubathreefifty
05-21-2010, 03:12 PM
This guy was washed up when we unloaded him, now he's going to solve all of our middle relief problems??? Give me a break, just another BS Hendry deal on the cheap. Why DFA Patton for Howry??? Howry has no upside as well as no current ability to do anything except suck up a spot in the pen. Why don't they hit the ejection seat on Grabow??? This guy is totally worthless. Why Lou would ever use this jerk in a close game is beyond my comprehension. Sounds like Lou has been told to use him or Lou needs to go. In either case Lou needs to go for not telling Hendry where to park it. Show caseing Grabow in a close game it a fruitcake play.

Marlin Bystro
05-21-2010, 03:12 PM
I guess the Patton expiremenent was an epic failure. It was fun playing with a 24 man roster last year though.

Jilly Bohnson
05-21-2010, 03:15 PM
********. Bull ****ing ****.

You put the guy in the minors first, you dont bring him up to blow games for us.

Stupid stupid move.

The whole idea is that maybe Rothschild can help him. Rothschild can't help him at Iowa.

This isn't a big deal IMO. Everyone's acting like he's going to get the Grabow treatment and be thrown into every tight game, that's clearly not going to happen unless he's fixed.

CubbieSteve
05-21-2010, 03:16 PM
The only way I'll let Natty go down my throat is if I'm shotgunning that ****. Ugh.

Anyways, I'm not looking forward to the 90 mph straight as an arrow fastballs that Howry will feature.

Jilly Bohnson
05-21-2010, 03:16 PM
God I ****ing hate Keystone so much, I can't drink that piss...I usually go with Bud Light but I had a few stragglers in my fridge from the party last night. High Life is god awful too...

I'm the opposite, I think Keystone tastes like water and Natty tastes like piss. But yeah, that makes sense that you'd have Natty's if you had a party last night.

chicagofan71
05-21-2010, 03:20 PM
My only issue with this is it says they think we can still win this division; if they were building for the future IMO we'd be giving Jay Jackson some time.

gocubs2118
05-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Keystone is just the bottom of the barrel from Coors Light. If you can drink Coors Light, you can drink Keystone.

Jilly Bohnson
05-21-2010, 03:22 PM
My only issue with this is it says they think we can still win this division; if they were building for the future IMO we'd be giving Jay Jackson some time.

Jackson's probably coming up when Zambrano goes to the rotation.

Kirel
05-21-2010, 03:26 PM
So we had Patton up all of last year just so we could DFA him now?
He'll probably pass waivers and be outrighted to AAA. I'm not sure of the issue here.

kyleh1987
05-21-2010, 03:30 PM
ughh high life hangover right here. my insides hate me right now. i knew there was a reason i stopped drinkin the lowest posible grade ****.

duce5858
05-21-2010, 03:36 PM

Keystone Light got me through college.... I don't drink Natty Light because a girl that was known for being promiscuous once told me that Natty Light tasted like a certain male body fluid....

That being said, Berg has nothing except a goofy delivery....I'm not wild about Howry coming back but he cant be any worse than what the Cubs have in the bullpen currently

Kirel
05-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Jackson's probably coming up when Zambrano goes to the rotation.
I dunno, it leaves questions about how Jackson will fit on the roster.

WIth Berg down, unless they get rid of a starter in a trade(that brings back zero major league pieces), Jackson would have to replace Stevens, which likely totally erases wahtever small benefit Howry may bring over Berg.

ReJo
05-21-2010, 03:48 PM
What's the worst that could happen with Howry? Not be able to get anybody out and give up a bunch of runs? Our middle relief does that already. At least we can release him at that point.
And however this thread turned into cheap beer discussion. My vote is for PBR. It is cheap($13.99 for a 30 pack), has great flavor and you don't have to drink 20 of them to get drunk like that watery frat house beer keystone or natty light.

Tehjosha
05-21-2010, 03:49 PM
As I said in the other Howry thread, his peripherals have been steadily declining since he was last the Cubs. I cannot be excited about this move in the least sense.

Hopefully Rothschild can help, but it's not like a drop in velocity is an easy thing to fix. Normally, that means that the dude is done.

Oh well, should be entertaining.

croce_99
05-21-2010, 03:50 PM
I just don't understand why he is immediately on the MLB team. He hasn't pitched well at all this season.
Send him to Iowa for at least a few games to see if he can succeed against the "talent" in the minors.

ReJo
05-21-2010, 03:51 PM
As I said in the other Howry thread, his peripherals have been steadily declining since he was last the Cubs. I cannot be excited about this move in the least sense.

Hopefully Rothschild can help, but it's not like a drop in velocity is an easy thing to fix. Normally, that means that the dude is done.

Oh well, should be entertaining.

Maybe his drop in velocity will result in more fly outs and less home runs?

Kirel
05-21-2010, 03:53 PM
What's the worst that could happen with Howry? Not be able to get anybody out and give up a bunch of runs? Our middle relief does that already. At least we can release him at that point.
And however this thread turned into cheap beer discussion. My vote is for PBR. It is cheap($13.99 for a 30 pack), has great flavor and you don't have to drink 20 of them to get drunk like that watery frat house beer keystone or natty light.
The worst that can happen is that he manages to be just good enoguh to not get released, eating up roster space and development time on a losing team that should be figuring out what next years bullpen is going to look like, not holding on to the idea that it matters if this seasons pen lets in 500 runs or 550.

This is veteran syndrome.

A: "The kids suck!"
B: "Why do you suppose that is?"
A: "Not enough experiance"
B: "So, we need to let them pitch, right?"
A: "No, we need to replace them with veterans who already have experiance!"
B: "So when do we let the kids actually get a chance to pitch?"
A: "When they are veterans!"

Kirel
05-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Maybe his drop in velocity will result in more fly outs and less home runs?
No, more likely it'll result in a lot more hitters seeing the ball raelly well and hitting the ball much, much farther.

Slower does not mean weaker contact. Not in the major leagues.

Matchstckman
05-21-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm not okay with this High-Life bashing. I'm not even a poor college student anymore and I still like High Life.

Mell413
05-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Hopefully Lou avoids putting him in close games. However this is Lou we are talking about. Hopefully Larry sees something he can fix.

scrubs101
05-21-2010, 04:00 PM

PBR dude

mg420
05-21-2010, 04:02 PM
No, more likely it'll result in a lot more hitters seeing the ball raelly well and hitting the ball much, much farther.

Slower does not mean weaker contact. Not in the major leagues.

it can if it's not thrown at the same speed & location and has some movement. i remember watching rick reuschel make good ML hitters look foolish with an 82mph sinker and a weak slider. livan is doing the same thing with the nats this year and dominating with "below average" stuff.

Tehjosha
05-21-2010, 04:04 PM
it can if it's not thrown at the same speed & location and has some movement. i remember watching rick reuschel make good ML hitters look foolish with an 82mph sinker and a weak slider. livan is doing the same thing with the nats this year and dominating with "below average" stuff.

Howry does not have good movement on his fastball. It has gotten straighter the older he gets.

Decreased velocity and little to no movement increases the opportunity that he gets mashed.

Tehjosha
05-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Oh yeah, and how in the good name of God can anyone drink Natty Light?

Kirel
05-21-2010, 04:05 PM
well no ****.

A pitcher with better control and movement outpitches a guy with velocity but no movement or control over his pitches.

In general losing the ability to throw the ball as fast sa you used to does not mean the pitcher magically gets better at locating his pitch. Infact control wise Howry is lookign much worse this year than any previous year, and I doubt his movement got better.

Beyond that, Livan Hernadez is getting lucky, he's not fooling anyone. He's certainly not dominating anyone. He's got a .193 BABIP, has allowed 7 homers that all miraculously were solo shots, and has allowed like one hit in 45 plate appearences with runners on. He's been awful, the results just aren't showing it yet.

duce5858
05-21-2010, 04:06 PM

We will see what happens with Howry before we start talking about Jackson and possibly Cashner. I personally think Cash needs to be in the big league bullpen right now. He was a closer in college and he doesnt have 3 or 4 pitches then he wont be a good starter.

As far as PBR is concerned I can drink it also, my favorite beer right now is Shiner though

CubbieSteve
05-21-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm the opposite, I think Keystone tastes like water and Natty tastes like piss. But yeah, that makes sense that you'd have Natty's if you had a party last night.

I'm a Keystone Ice fan myself.

But if I'm gonna drink beer, I'm gonna drink something decent. Usually Bud or Coors.

ggross
05-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Memories of the Trachsel move... gotta have those veterans.

Jilly Bohnson
05-21-2010, 04:23 PM
I dunno, it leaves questions about how Jackson will fit on the roster.

WIth Berg down, unless they get rid of a starter in a trade(that brings back zero major league pieces), Jackson would have to replace Stevens, which likely totally erases wahtever small benefit Howry may bring over Berg.

I figure if Howry pitches well, then great, if not, then he'll probably get released/DFA'd at that point. I think we're giving him a shot just hoping that Larry can help him find an extra few MPH's out of nowhere or they can figure out another way for him to get guys out. I don't think they actually expect too much from him and thus in all likelihood he won't be here long.

And yeah, if Howry pitches well then that clouds up the Stevens/Jackson situation. Although I doubt both Stevens and Howry pitch well, so in a few weeks the roster move will probably be pretty obvious. That and also I think we're very likely going to see a starter traded. I think that's why they're moving Zambrano back because they think they have a trade lineup up, hopefully for either Lilly or Silva.

ggross
05-21-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm not okay with this High-Life bashing. I'm not even a poor college student anymore and I still like High Life.

High Life is ok. Sam Adams light is my current favorite.

Jilly Bohnson
05-21-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm a Keystone Ice fan myself.

But if I'm gonna drink beer, I'm gonna drink something decent. Usually Bud or Coors.

I've only had Keystone Ice once, and I don't remember how I liked it. I'm actually starting to turn into a bit of a beer snob myself. But if I just wanna get hammered for dirt cheap I go with Keystone over Busch or Natty or anything like that.

ggross
05-21-2010, 04:34 PM
I was never able to get over the whole Anhueser Busch - cardinals thing. The products never enter my house.

Kirel
05-21-2010, 04:41 PM
I figure if Howry pitches well, then great, if not, then he'll probably get released/DFA'd at that point. I think we're giving him a shot just hoping that Larry can help him find an extra few MPH's out of nowhere or they can figure out another way for him to get guys out. I don't think they actually expect too much from him and thus in all likelihood he won't be here long.

And yeah, if Howry pitches well then that clouds up the Stevens/Jackson situation. Although I doubt both Stevens and Howry pitch well, so in a few weeks the roster move will probably be pretty obvious. That and also I think we're very likely going to see a starter traded. I think that's why they're moving Zambrano back because they think they have a trade lineup up, hopefully for either Lilly or Silva.
It still remains to be seen what comes back. People seem to expect a RP, which further clouds the situation since that RP would need the traded starters roster spot.

jiggin
05-21-2010, 04:49 PM
league min right?

can't be worse than our current situation...right?

ehhh....

Jilly Bohnson
05-21-2010, 04:51 PM
It still remains to be seen what comes back. People seem to expect a RP, which further clouds the situation since that RP would need the traded starters roster spot.

That's a good point. I guess we'll have to wait and see how all this plays out.

windycityD
05-21-2010, 05:22 PM
league min right?

can't be worse than our current situation...right?

ehhh....

Yeah, it way could if BH and Grabow both get the ball late in games.

Every season Hendry goes to the scrap heap, so this is nothing new. I see no Dempster situation here, though.

jiggin
05-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Chad Gaudin and Josh Towers were just released...

...Roy Oswalt asked for a trade away from Houston...

just sayin'

:)

Jilly Bohnson
05-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Chad Gaudin and Josh Towers were just released...

...Roy Oswalt asked for a trade away from Houston...

just sayin'

:)

How long before Minaya breaks down overpays for Oswalt? A month? That's going to be a fascinating story to follow later this year.

poodski
05-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Ugh not really a fan of this, but Howry might be better than Berg.

Not real happy to see Patton by DFA'd I sure hope he isnt picked up by another tem.

1908_Cubs
05-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Ugh. I don't like Berg but I really hate this signing.

ReJo
05-21-2010, 07:29 PM
How long before Minaya breaks down overpays for Oswalt? A month? That's going to be a fascinating story to follow later this year.

I'd love to get Oswalt but I'm sure the Stros don't want to trade him within the division

stuart04
05-21-2010, 07:31 PM
to make room for bob howry, #cubs to option justin berg to iowa. To open spot on 40-man, david patton designated for assignment

- muskrat's twitter

what the ****!

1908_Cubs
05-21-2010, 07:33 PM
I'd love to get Oswalt but I'm sure the Stros don't want to trade him within the division
Not I. Astros will want a kings ransom from anyone considering how bad they are. I don't love him going forward. His K/9 rate is higher than his career numbers and his BABIP lower than normal. I think he's begging for normalization soon, and he's getting up there in age. I wouldn't touch him.

stuart04
05-21-2010, 08:26 PM

Wasn't Larry the pitching coach when he was with us before and we let him go because he stunk so bad?

1908_Cubs
05-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Wasn't Larry the pitching coach when he was with us before and we let him go because he stunk so bad?

No. We let him go because his contract was up. He pitched quite well.

However he's old and his velocity is crap now.

toovey107
05-22-2010, 12:36 AM
Busch light , by far the best cheap beer.

Dfan25
05-22-2010, 12:40 AM
I don't like this move at all. I think Howry is done. He doesn't have movement and the last time i saw him pitch he was throwing nothing but 87-88- 4 seam fastballs and getting hammered. Would have like to see a young arm from Iowa come up insteed. I don't think i can handle Grabow and Howry taking the ball for us in the late innings. I won't watch much from this point on due to work and all i can say is Thank God.

toovey107
05-22-2010, 12:44 AM
Berg sucks.
Howry sucks.

Still a shame that Guzman went down once again, got to feel bad for the guy.

Jilly Bohnson
05-22-2010, 03:28 AM

Two of his three years with us he was outstanding.

Yagyu+
05-22-2010, 04:14 AM
You see what you get when YNH joins the rotation with a sub-par PPV/K (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13382772&postcount=165)!

Milnertime
05-24-2010, 03:43 AM
Ugh not really a fan of this, but Howry might be better than Berg.

Not real happy to see Patton by DFA'd I sure hope he isnt picked up by another tem.
It is even more upsetting that we wasted a roster spot on Patton all last year just to watch him A) not pitch well, and B) be more or less dumped for nothing.