PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Baker for Mike Lowell?

ReJo
05-21-2010, 12:10 PM
http://cubsrumorsandnews.blogspot.com/
Here's a rumor that might be interesting

- The Cubs have contacted the Red Sox about Mike Lowell according to sources. Lowell recently asked for his release (or was about to). Lowell has lost out on playing time to Youklis, Ortiz, and Beltre. The Red Sox are willing to pay the majority of Lowell's contract just to get him to another team. I am told the trade could be Jeff Baker for Mike Lowell with the Red Sox paying around 10 million of the 12 million left on his contract. The Cubs could be looking for a veteran presence off the bench as well as a spot starter for Lee and Aram. If this deal does go through it could also be insurance in case Aram continues to scuffle or in fact his thumb is worst than we thought.

It also talks about Derrick Lee possibly being traded. Smoak or Pena have been mentioned

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says the Cubs would trade Derrek Lee if the opportunity presented itself. That thought may have changed since the Cubs have just rattled off 4 wins in a row. The Cubs currently do not have a 1st baseman in their farm system so getting a nice 1st baseman prospect back might be in order. The Rangers could use Lee and the Cubs have shown interest in Smoak, so there is a possible deal. I also heard this rumor which is interesting if anything. Carlos Pena for Derrek Lee straight across. There is only a 3.25 million difference in contracts with Lee getting paid more. Both could use a change of scenery. The Rays could look to get better defensively and the Cubs are looking for an impact left-handed bat to balance their lineup. Both have struggled but Lee looks like he maybe coming out of it while Pena still looks lost.

BDawk4Prez
05-21-2010, 12:12 PM
:puke:

THE_G.O.A.T.
05-21-2010, 12:14 PM
If we could get Smoak or Pena straight up for Lee then you have to make that deal in a heartbeat. I don't think its true. It doesn't make sense for the Rangers or the Rays to pull off this trade. They would be trading talent for age, and that is what gets general managers fired.

And as for the Jeff Baker for Mike Lowell....who cares.

windycityD
05-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Lowell is something I would actually pursue, especially if just Baker was the cost.

Lee and Boston make a lot of sense. So do Fielder and Boston. Were I them, I'd wait out the Brewers, who imo, will dangle Fielder for pitching specs. I see no scenario where they can lay down yet another big, long-term deal and not improve their starting pitching and/ or not have the money to do so. They also have a legacy of trading their 1b ala Overbay and Sexon.

Jilly Bohnson
05-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Isn't that the site run by the 12 year old?

Regardless, getting Justin Smoak for Derrek Lee is a joke, not happening. Hell, there's a pretty good chance Smoak is better than Lee THIS SEASON.

Matchstckman
05-21-2010, 12:24 PM
I give him credit, he ALMOST makes this sound believable.

behindmydesk
05-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Put this in your "WHAT?!?!?!" folder. According to a reliable source the Cubs and M's have discussed a Chone Figgins for Aramis Ramirez trade. If Aram is traded his 2012 option is vested which means the M's would be on the hook for 30 million over 2011 and 2012, not only that but they would also be on the hook for a portion of the 15 million he is owed this season. The Cubs would be on the hook for 36 million for 2010 through 2014. So the money is about even. All I can say is interesting and WHAT?!?!?

Until Next Time....

This was also posted. which makes me think this website is a joke.

Ron!n
05-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Yeah no way Smoak leaves Texas, thats a load of ********.

CubbieSteve
05-21-2010, 12:52 PM
I'd probably do Lowell for Baker. Doubt it's true though...

Matchstckman
05-21-2010, 12:54 PM
The thing is, if Lowell is supposedly *****ing about playing time, it's not like he'd be getting a ton here anyway, unless Ramirez went to the DL.

Randall Simon
05-21-2010, 01:21 PM
if boston is that motivated to move lowell why wouldn't they ask for something mildly valuable in return. wouldn't a low-mid level spec be more desireable than baker? what's he gonna do in boston...play RF!?

...if I'm JH I'd sure as hell do it tho!

WorldChamps1908
05-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Baker for Lowell is nice. I would do that, a reserve corner infielder and veteran/good clubhouse presence

ReJo
05-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Put this in your "WHAT?!?!?!" folder. According to a reliable source the Cubs and M's have discussed a Chone Figgins for Aramis Ramirez trade. If Aram is traded his 2012 option is vested which means the M's would be on the hook for 30 million over 2011 and 2012, not only that but they would also be on the hook for a portion of the 15 million he is owed this season. The Cubs would be on the hook for 36 million for 2010 through 2014. So the money is about even. All I can say is interesting and WHAT?!?!?

Until Next Time....

This was also posted. which makes me think this website is a joke.

I actually wouldn't be shocked to see that trade. If the Cubs get tired of waiting for Ramirez to come around they could trade him for another high priced slumpin third baseman like Figgins or David Wright

jiggin
05-21-2010, 02:44 PM
I don't even need to comment...you guys got it covered

thawv
05-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Don't we have enough overpaid average producing players? I mean.....come on now. WTF!

chi416
05-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Well, let's see. Both Lee and A-Ram have no trade clauses. Don't see Lee wanting to go to Texas but Tampa maybe because they could actually win. As for A-Ram, he also can opt out after this season. Not sure Seattle would dump their big off-season free agent less than 2 months into a 4+ year deal.

I'd file all of this, save maybe Baker for Lowell, in the no ****ing way file.

Kirel
05-21-2010, 03:25 PM
I actually wouldn't be shocked to see that trade. If the Cubs get tired of waiting for Ramirez to come around they could trade him for another high priced slumpin third baseman like Figgins or David Wright
But why in the name of all thats holy would any other team do it?

No one is going to trade a cheaper\better player whos slumping for an older one.

behindmydesk
05-21-2010, 03:31 PM
especially before july 1st, because chone can't be traded prior to july 1st

duce5858
05-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Isn't that the site run by the 12 year old?

Regardless, getting Justin Smoak for Derrek Lee is a joke, not happening. Hell, there's a pretty good chance Smoak is better than Lee THIS SEASON.

Yeah Smoak isn't going anywhere, a young guy with a boatload of talent for an aging slugger who's best days are behind him? I'd do that trade in a heartbeat if I'm the Cubs and never do that trade if I'm the Rangers.

Also Chuck is one of the 3 best shows on TV...I'm just sayin

thawv
05-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Baker for Lowell is nice. I would do that, a reserve corner infielder and veteran/good clubhouse presence

Are you assuming he's a good clubhouse because he's a veteran? One is NEVER related to the other.

ReJo
05-21-2010, 03:35 PM
But why in the name of all thats holy would any other team do it?

No one is going to trade a cheaper\better player whos slumping for an older one.

Change of scenery deal where two high priced players are slumping and falling out of favor with management and fans. Sometimes getting out of one situation and into another could help both players and teams involved.

Mell413
05-21-2010, 03:50 PM
I don't see these deals happening. Assuming this is true I don't see why the Cubs didn't shop Lee during the off-season coming off the year he had. They probably could have gotten a decent package for him and signed someone like Laroche to a 1 year deal.

Kirel
05-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Sure, and that may make sense if hte players are in the same situations, but you are suggesting this about

1 guy who has been on his team less than 3 months
1 guy who was arguably one of the top 10 players in the league at 25, is 27 now, and is playing quite well(.380 wOBA, 137 wRC+)

and suggesting that they should be traded for a 32 year guy who is playing terribly.

Let me put it to you simply: DAVID WRIGHT, RIGHT NOW, IS PLAYING AS GOOD AS ARAMIS RAMIREZ EVER DID AND HE IS 5 YEARS YOUNGER.

Is that clear enough?

Tehjosha
05-21-2010, 03:59 PM
The guy that writes this blog is an absolute moron. I have seen him come up with ideas that rival some of the most ignorant ones proposed here.

Nothing on that site should be taken seriously.

ggross
05-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Just call Millar!!

WorldChamps1908
05-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Are you assuming he's a good clubhouse because he's a veteran? One is NEVER related to the other.

I do realize the difference. I meant A. he is a veteran. B. He would be a good presence in the clubhouse.

jiggin
05-21-2010, 04:53 PM
cubs haven't been playing well as a whole so far this year...the natives are getting restless. I would imagine there will be more and more of these types of "reports" to give cubs fans something to click on and drive traffic to sports sites. No one wants to read, "cubs bullpen blows it again"...that isn't going to produce traffic.

eriod
05-21-2010, 05:14 PM
if boston is that motivated to move lowell why wouldn't they ask for something mildly valuable in return. wouldn't a low-mid level spec be more desireable than baker? what's he gonna do in boston...play RF!?

...if I'm JH I'd sure as hell do it tho!

The Red Sox aren't really in much of a position to ask for something for Lowell. They had their chance with Texas and that fell through, now nobody is going to give up much of anything for him, even if they are paying almost all his salary. They're pretty much going to have to take whatever they can get. But if the Cubs want him I think they would be better off waiting until Boston releases him, which is bound to happen unless Ortiz goes back into crappy mode.

windycityD
05-21-2010, 05:29 PM
The Red Sox aren't really in much of a position to ask for something for Lowell. They had their chance with Texas and that fell through, now nobody is going to give up much of anything for him, even if they are paying almost all his salary. They're pretty much going to have to take whatever they can get. But if the Cubs want him I think they would be better off waiting until Boston releases him, which is bound to happen unless Ortiz goes back into crappy mode.

I bet they would ask for Fontenot before Baker. The fact that Nady is nowhere near ready to play/ throw from RF means Baker has roster "value." Do not put it past Hendry to trade the Little Lord, nor assume Jimbo would have leverage here.

Randall Simon
05-21-2010, 05:32 PM

except if Lowell is released he can sign wherever he wants...ie...somewhere he could start, or at least somewhere that has some real question marks at 3b.

If this deal were actually discussed I'd say pounce! Baker's role on this team is almost zippo now that Castro is up to stay.

Randall Simon
05-21-2010, 05:34 PM
I bet they would ask for Fontenot before Baker. The fact that Nady is nowhere near ready to play/ throw from RF means Baker has roster "value." Do not put it past Hendry to trade the Little Lord, nor assume Jimbo would have leverage here.

a 6th OFer/3rd 2nd baseman = value!?

windycityD
05-21-2010, 05:37 PM
a 6th OFer/3rd 2nd baseman = value!?

Note the quotes around value. Also note that Hendry is the GM. If Fukudome got hurt, your only real option in RF from the right side would be (drum roll)...Jeff Baker. Nady cannot play the position, period.

eriod
05-21-2010, 05:51 PM
except if Lowell is released he can sign wherever he wants...ie...somewhere he could start, or at least somewhere that has some real question marks at 3b.

That would have to be a HUGE question mark at 3rd base. Lowell's defense is gone. His best hope to get playing time would be for somebody with a question mark at DH.

If this deal were actually discussed I'd say pounce! Baker's role on this team is almost zippo now that Castro is up to stay.

Agreed. I'd take Lowell for Baker. I'm just saying that all Lowell is really going to give the Cubs is someone who can back up Lee every once in a while and a good pinch-hitter. But I think if they want a 3rd base backup they'd be better off looking elsewhere or just keeping Baker.

I bet they would ask for Fontenot before Baker.

Maybe, but at least Fontenot is a decent LH bat, which seems to be of a little more value to the Cubs right now than Baker.

Dfan25
05-22-2010, 12:48 AM
I don't think this is a good idea. Lowell Not enough playing time with the cubs and he won't be happy. He needs to go to a team where he can play everyday.

ggross
05-22-2010, 01:59 AM
I don't even need to comment...you guys got it covered

Thank God for small favors.

Randall Simon
05-22-2010, 03:34 AM
you'd think seattle could find some AB's for lowell somewhere in their dried up carcus of a lineup!

Reese's
05-23-2010, 07:43 AM
Don't really trust the source but both deals make a lot of sense for both teams really and they make a lot of sense together.

Lee for Pena

Least likely to happen but both are struggling and could probably use a change of scenery. Plus it's hard to think that Lee would continue to struggle like this while playing for Tampa. They'd be getting back probably the same compensation for losing Pena and it'd be easier to let Lee go than Pena. Not likely to happen at all, but if some prospects or some major league guys were involved the likelyhood of the deal goes up some.

Baker for Lowell

Lowell wants out of Boston, Boston wants to get rid of Lowell. They're willing to take a big chunk of his salary to get rid of him. We're looking for a 3B/1B sub for Lee and A-Ram since they're sucking. This is the last year on Lowell's contract so it wouldn't be a big financial take on for us. Boston would get a fairly young utility guy for their team. Win-win.

Lee for Smoak

1B has been a problem for the Rangers all year and they need to get an upgrade there if they wanna seriously compete this year. Davis wasn't getting the job done and neither is Smoak now. They've been rumors that the Rangers are in fact willing to deal Smoak if they can get a good 1B back. So why would the Rangers take Lee, who's struggling for one of their best prospects? For one, he still plays a great 1B. Second, it's really not likely he's gonna struggle this bad all year long and Third, even if it doesn't work out for them and Lee doesn't play that well for them they're gonna get a draft pick from losing him in FA. Lee might be a Type A but more likely Type B FA and in either case you're pretty much getting a 1st Rd pick for losing him. Fourth, the Rangers are deep at 1B can afford to lose Smoak without hurting the team too much going forward. We could add a prospect to the deal as well to "protect" the Rangers as well.

So how it works out well is say we get Lowell and Smoak. We can play Lowell everyday or platoon with Nady at 1B until later in the season when hopefully we trade Fukudome (in which then Nady can platoon with Colvin in RF) and we can call up Smoak to get some ABs at 1B with Lowell.

Helps us stay competitive now and sets us up with a very good 1B for the future.

Ron!n
05-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Nice post. I agree with the first two scenarios but I really really doubt the Rangers move Smoak. Why would they take a chance on Lee when they can take that chance on Smoak but have alot higher reward.

If im not mistaken Smoak was a top 15 prospect so i really doubt they want to move him.

Buckcub
05-23-2010, 08:31 AM
I hope we can get something for Baker or Fonty, but I don't think Lowell's the answer. If we're looking for an experienced vet backup at 3rd/RF/LF, well, Chad Tracy is tearing AAA to shreds. It's a small sample size, but here's his line with Iowa.

Chad Tracy - .514/.564/.714/1.278 1 HR (35 AB)
(thanks to Stranded in the MiLB thread)

Let's trade Baker for a middling A prospect instead of adding a redundant older fellow.

dyceman
05-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Seems to me that they have been showcasing Baker an awful lot (even given the lefties they've been facing); hope this means a trade is in the works. He is not impressive at all...IMHO

Silent
05-24-2010, 02:24 AM
wtf are the cubs waiting for

poodski
05-24-2010, 07:46 AM
I have heard rumblings of a Lee for Votto deal as well.

cowboydoc45
05-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Honestly, if Lowell could play 3b, I would probably jump on this in a heartbeat.

mg420
05-24-2010, 09:32 AM
I have heard rumblings of a Lee for Votto deal as well.

i hope this is this a joke. why would a 1st place team want to trade a cheap, young .950 ops hitter for an expensive, old .664 ops hitter?

poodski
05-24-2010, 10:05 AM
i hope this is this a joke. why would a 1st place team want to trade a cheap, young .950 ops hitter for an expensive, old .664 ops hitter?

Yes it was a joke, just like the Lee for Smoak is a joke, and the Aramis for Wright nonsense.

This entire thread is full of jokes.

Grifter
05-24-2010, 10:13 AM
For what it's worth, they just mentioned on XM that there are rumblings of a Smoak for Oswalt deal. I still don't think it would get done for Lee, but at least it does looks like Smoak may be on the block.

poodski
05-24-2010, 10:21 AM
For what it's worth, they just mentioned on XM that there are rumblings of a Smoak for Oswalt deal. I still don't think it would get done for Lee, but at least it does looks like Smoak may be on the block.

Smoak might be and he might be for pitching, there is just no conceivable way Smoak is traded for Lee straight up. Oswalt is a bit better than Lee and has a contract that lasts past this year.

Grifter
05-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Oh, I agree. I'm just throwing that out there for the folks that find it inconceivable that the Rangers would trade Smoak for anyone.

poodski
05-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Oh, I agree. I'm just throwing that out there for the folks that find it inconceivable that the Rangers would trade Smoak for anyone.

Got ya. I mean no one should be untouchable, if the right deal came along we better trade Castro's ***.

**Not saying I want him traded, but if say the Padres wanted Castro for A-Gon I would do it in a heart beat.**

cowboydoc45
05-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Smoak might be and he might be for pitching, there is just no conceivable way Smoak is traded for Lee straight up. Oswalt is a bit better than Lee and has a contract that lasts past this year.

If they are looking for pitching in return, we have 6 starting pitchers, a couple of whom might be expendable. I wouldn't mind seeing a package around Gorzo for him, use Lee as bait in another trade, or let Smoak learn under him for a bit before trading Lee...

The big upside that I am seeing in Smoak is that he is a rookie, does he have a high upside, or is he projected to be at or just above replacement

poodski
05-24-2010, 11:46 AM
If they are looking for pitching in return, we have 6 starting pitchers, a couple of whom might be expendable. I wouldn't mind seeing a package around Gorzo for him, use Lee as bait in another trade, or let Smoak learn under him for a bit before trading Lee...

The big upside that I am seeing in Smoak is that he is a rookie, does he have a high upside, or is he projected to be at or just above replacement

Fangraphs ranked him as the 16th best prospect in baseball going into the season.

He is better than any prospect we have. We are probably talking something like Lilly + Cashner or Vitters in order to get Smoak. Possibly throw in Lee and get a decent spec back as well. Smoak is supposed to be really good.

behindmydesk
05-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Fangraphs ranked him as the 16th best prospect in baseball going into the season.

He is better than any prospect we have. We are probably talking something like Lilly + Cashner or Vitters in order to get Smoak. Possibly throw in Lee and get a decent spec back as well. Smoak is supposed to be really good.

I could see, Lilly, Gorzy, and a cashner for Smoak. And i'd probably make that deal.

poodski
05-24-2010, 11:57 AM
I could see, Lilly, Gorzy, and a cashner for Smoak. And i'd probably make that deal.

Maybe, I think we would get another spec back though.

I probably wouldnt do it, but I am pretty high on Cashner.

Jilly Bohnson
05-24-2010, 01:40 PM

Yeah, Smoak was maybe the best pure hitting prospect coming into this year aside from obviously Heyward. Montero was guilty of ridiculous Yankee hype, Stanton had way too many contact issues. And the other couple prospects ahead of him were pitchers or guys who won't hit as well but have better positional value.

Having Smoak as our long term 1b has potential to drastically change our organization's look going forwad, since at least right now we look destined to throw 130 million at a first basemen in a year and a half.

Ron!n
05-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Maybe, I think we would get another spec back though.

I probably wouldnt do it, but I am pretty high on Cashner.
I just think its pretty funny that adding Lee and getting Soria back would make you super excited about that same deal. ;)

poodski
05-24-2010, 02:01 PM
I just think its pretty funny that adding Lee and getting Soria back would make you super excited about that same deal. ;)

I do really like Soria though. I mean he is a top 5 reliever in baseball. He is probably better than Marmol.

Ron!n
05-24-2010, 02:23 PM
I do really like Soria though. I mean he is a top 5 reliever in baseball. He is probably better than Marmol.
That could be it, i think you're overvaluing Soria. We already have a very effective Set-Up guy in Marshall and i dont think Soria is worth the money hes being paid nor the money thats hes likely to make.

Jilly Bohnson
05-24-2010, 02:39 PM
That could be it, i think you're overvaluing Soria. We already have a very effective Set-Up guy in Marshall and i dont think Soria is worth the money hes being paid nor the money thats hes likely to make.

Soria's actually got a very nice contract. If all his options get picked up he can't make over 10 million until 2015.