PDA

View Full Version : Team President & GMs

nbafan63
05-21-2010, 10:40 AM
News is Kiki was let go as GM of the nets, and President of operations Rod Thorn is to take over GM duties. My question is, does every NBA team have a President of operations that manages the GM? I was under the impression that GM is the head huncho of a team and report directly to the owner of the team. GM picks the coaches, trade players, they basically run the team. So if that's the case then what does the President of operation do?

Rod Thorns name come up with regards to the future of the Nets. So who's the president of teams like the Lakers? Celtics? Knicks? We only hear about their GMs, but how come I never hear about their President of operations?

Or is nets one of the only teams with both a GM and a President of Operations?

arkanian215
05-21-2010, 11:27 AM
News is Kiki was let go as GM of the nets, and President of operations Rod Thorn is to take over GM duties. My question is, does every NBA team have a President of operations that manages the GM? I was under the impression that GM is the head huncho of a team and report directly to the owner of the team. GM picks the coaches, trade players, they basically run the team. So if that's the case then what does the President of operation do?

Rod Thorns name come up with regards to the future of the Nets. So who's the president of teams like the Lakers? Celtics? Knicks? We only hear about their GMs, but how come I never hear about their President of operations?

I'm pretty sure Joe Dumars is still holds GM responsibilities in Detroit.

Iodine
05-21-2010, 11:38 AM
They have different responsibilities but can be acted out by the same person. It's a weird thing to describe by myself, ill try to find an article that explains it

nikeking711
05-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Pat Riley

td0tsfinest
05-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Bryan COlangelo does both.

Back to the nets, supposedly Prokhorov is bringing over a Russian Executive (former GM of CSKA) to take Thorn's old position.
Probably just the first step in preparing the guy to become the next NBA GM.

abe_froman
05-21-2010, 02:50 PM

they arent the only team,but some gm's or owners will assume the title president(or vp) of basketball operations as well as the title they have as gm or owner.

you didnt hear about it because you probably werent interested in finding out about the f.o.'s of different org's

Draco
05-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Here's an explanation about how it worked for the Bulls and Bobcats a year ago.

In a scenario relayed by a few of his peers, Paxson would move into a still-to-be-defined role as a top adviser to Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, with director of player personnel Gar Forman taking over as the every-day personnel chief.

Such an alignment -- similar to Michael Jordan's arrangement in Charlotte, where Rod Higgins handles the daily duties -- would allow Paxson to continue to participate in the major trade and draft matters he enjoys while relinquishing the management headaches that have increasingly unsettled him. Shifting those duties to Forman would continue the expansion of a role that began to take shape last summer when Forman was asked by Reinsdorf to step in for Paxson on a good chunk of the Bulls' negotiations to re-sign forward Luol Deng.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=Chatter-090424