PDA

View Full Version : Collins V Jackson

JasonJohnHorn
05-21-2010, 08:55 AM
It has always been my opinion that Doug Collins was prematurely fired as head coach of the Bulls and that had he had the added depth and a more experience Pippen/Grant combo, he would have been able to go all the way with the Bulls.

Jackson did no better than Collins his first time out, losing in game 7 of the conference finals (with a deeper team) against the same Pistons team that knocked off Collins and the Bulls.

Had the Bulls not fired Collins, would the Bulls still have one as many titles? And would they have perhaps even gone deeper than they did in Jackson's first year as coach?

RipVW
05-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Would the Bulls have won with Collins? Yes
Was he fired prematurely? Maybe (because he was replaced by a better coach)
Was he better than Jackson? No

RipVW
05-21-2010, 09:05 AM
BTW, does anyone remember when Collins had Jordan playing PG for a stretch of games? He had a lot of triple doubles but one of the issues was Jordan wearing down.

Conversely, you had Phil coming in and wanting to make others more involved in the offense. In the end, Jordan was no less effective.

Pippen not being ready for how the Pistons played was a huge reason for losing to the Pistons. But its not like Collins and Jackson were the same guy. And lets be honest. Those Pistons teams resorted to total goonery. No team in the league has played like that before or since other than maybe the Knicks. With that in mind, its kind of harsh to be critical of Collins for not getting past those Pistons teams. It took the league (and mainly the Bulls) a couple of years to adjust to this. And by adjust, I mean mature in the case of Pippen and Grant.

JasonJohnHorn
05-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Goonery? Oh, no... I'm an old school bad boy fan! Goonery? Really? They were just hard-nosed players ;-) Perhaps we best agree to disagree on this before it gets nasty... lol.