PDA

View Full Version : If LeBron James leaves then who should the Cavs pick up?

champ101695
05-21-2010, 08:23 AM
If LeBron James leaves then who should the Cavs pick up?
I see them getting
Y.Ming for sure but who else?

RipVW
05-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Luol Deng

pebloemer
05-21-2010, 08:37 AM
I see them getting

Correct me if I'm wrong but if the Cavs lose LeBron, they don't really have any space under the cap to go out and sign someone do they? So replacement would have to be in a sign and trade no?

MacFitz92
05-21-2010, 08:40 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but if the Cavs lose LeBron, they don't really have any space under the cap to go out and sign someone do they? So replacement would have to be in a sign and trade no?

Completely wrong. They obviously have the void cap space that LeBron would've had.

champ101695
05-21-2010, 08:43 AM
they would have room because if they didnt how do they plan on getting lebron?
luol deng would be a good pick up but they are gonna need another big man.

yanks19791024
05-21-2010, 08:46 AM
What!!!!

champ101695
05-21-2010, 08:51 AM
how? Z dnt play D and shaq might go. If he goes then they will need a C so thy do need a big man

Lo Porto
05-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Why would the Cavs take the Bulls worst contract (Deng) just so the Bulls could add more? For example - if the Bulls trade Deng to Cleveland, the Bulls could add Joe Johnson AND Boozer. Why would Cleveland help Chicago like that?

champ101695
05-21-2010, 08:59 AM
i never said it would be the best pick up....i say Y.Ming would be the best for them if Lebron Stays or goes.

bal_ravens
05-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Well they are above $50 million in salary for next season, so how are they going to afford a max contract?

champ101695
05-21-2010, 09:06 AM
they were #2 in selling merchandise. and sell tickets.(playoffs too) they make money. its not a big deal. they offered a min contract extension to lbj at beginning of season so he would decline it then others would think that he wont stay then they will offer a max this off season.

king4day
05-21-2010, 09:14 AM
I don't see any reason Yao would want to come to the Cavs if they don't have Lebron.
But their cap situation will be really tricky. Though I think Shaq ALSO coming off the books would allow them to grab someone. They are in some real trouble if he leaves though because I'm not sure who would want to go there then.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-21-2010, 09:14 AM

helloo???

you know something about bird rights?

king4day
05-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Completely wrong. They obviously have the void cap space that LeBron would've had.

They'd still be over the cap though. You can only resign current players if your over the cap, or sign someone for the midlevel and/or bi annual.

arkanian215
05-21-2010, 09:29 AM
They'd still be over the cap though. You can only resign current players if your over the cap, or sign someone for the midlevel and/or bi annual.

What?

uprightciti
05-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Mike James it is then

arkanian215
05-21-2010, 09:37 AM
If LeBron signs elsewhere, that cap hold comes off the books but they would only be about $6 million under the predicted cap ($56.1 million)

They would've had enough for a max this offseason had they not traded for Jamison should LeBron leave.

RadiantShot
05-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Mmmm. Not sure. Don't know if they need ANOTHER big in Yao Ming. They may take it up, but I don't know if that would be the correct option. Personally, I'd stack up some more guards, or experienced veterans. Joe Johnson isn't that experienced, but he still brings in that scoring threat. If LeBron walks, they'll need to pick up someone who can at least do half the damage LeBron does.

THE_G.O.A.T.
05-21-2010, 09:50 AM
They should sign 3 of the following players if they really want to make up for the loss of Lebron....

1) Darko Milicic
2) Kwame Brown
3) Greg Oden
4) Rafael Araujo
5) Marcus Haislip
6) Eddie Griffin
7) Adam Morrison
8) Zarko Cabarkapa
9) Sheldon Williams
10) Luke Jackson

and they should definitely draft Luke Harangody.

Only with these moves will the Cavs be a better team than if they still had Lebron James

king4day
05-21-2010, 09:50 AM
What?

You can't sign anyone beyond a midlevel or biannual exception if you are over the cap and they currently aren't on your team.
As long as you're trying to resign players, it doesn't matter because of the bird rights and such.

xbrackattackx
05-21-2010, 09:51 AM
They should sign 3 of the following players if they really want to make up for the loss of Lebron....

1) Darko Milicic
2) Kwame Brown
3) Greg Oden
4) Rafael Araujo
5) Marcus Haislip
6) Eddie Griffin
7) Adam Morrison
8) Zarko Cabarkapa
9) Sheldon Williams
10) Luke Jackson

Only with these moves will the Cavs be a better team than if they still had Lebron James

That's a list of NBA bust wow that's clever.

THE_G.O.A.T.
05-21-2010, 09:56 AM
That's a list of NBA bust wow that's clever.

A list of NBA player busts for the biggest NBA team bust ever The Cleveland Cavs.

Welcome to the Bulls, Number 6 in your program....Lebron James!

ReBirthofNumber81
05-21-2010, 10:06 AM
If lebron goes the cavs need to pick up....

Their Pride..

pebloemer
05-21-2010, 10:10 AM

^^ Wow. You guys should really look into salary cap rules before you publicly tell me I'm wrong, because you both clearly have no clue.

Well they are above $50 million in salary for next season, so how are they going to afford a max contract?

helloo???

you know something about bird rights?

If LeBron signs elsewhere, that cap hold comes off the books but they would only be about $6 million under the predicted cap ($56.1 million)

They would've had enough for a max this offseason had they not traded for Jamison should LeBron leave.

^^ Thanks for clarification, that's what I thought too.

This thread deserves a fail.

arkanian215
05-21-2010, 10:15 AM
You can't sign anyone beyond a midlevel or biannual exception if you are over the cap and they currently aren't on your team.
As long as you're trying to resign players, it doesn't matter because of the bird rights and such.

Oh ok. I got confused because you said "resign" so I thought you were talking about someone who was already on the team.

IAmKira
05-21-2010, 10:22 AM

1) Darko Milicic
2) Kwame Brown
3) Greg Oden
4) Rafael Araujo
5) Marcus Haislip
6) Eddie Griffin
7) Adam Morrison
8) Zarko Cabarkapa
9) Sheldon Williams
10) Luke Jackson

Hes deceased u arse hole. How can u sign a dead man!? He aint the Undertaker. :facepalm::facepalm:

IndiansFan337
05-21-2010, 10:28 AM
I see them getting

They won't have the cap space to make that move. And if LBJ leaves our S&T assets are not enticing enough to net Yao Ming.

kntresistheheat
05-21-2010, 10:35 AM
They should get McGrady, AI, and Yao!...lol

sep11ie
05-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Why do all you idiots with 20 posts make nothing but LeBron threads?

RipVW
05-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Why would the Cavs take the Bulls worst contract (Deng) just so the Bulls could add more? For example - if the Bulls trade Deng to Cleveland, the Bulls could add Joe Johnson AND Boozer. Why would Cleveland help Chicago like that?

Because the Cavs may not want to cut off their nose to spite their face. And Deng is a good player. He's overpaid but he's a good player.

PrettyBoyJ
05-21-2010, 10:47 AM
if lebron goes they gonna have a hard time luring any players.. what makes you think any player wud want to play in a team that LeBron himself couldnt take them over the hump.. Cleveland is goin to lose big time if LeBron leaves not jus the team but the city all together.. I'm tlkin bout like a Cleveland Browns situation.. No Lebron = HARD TIMES

bmac
05-21-2010, 10:59 AM
so if lebron leaves they will only have 6 mill in cap space. i dont know if they could sign an impact player to replace james so i think a sign and trade for deng would be a good option for them. yes he has a long contract that is at a large amount but atleast they will get sommeone who can score 15-20 points. and question if they trade for deng would they still have 6 mill in cap space or would they only have their mid level?

nycsports2
05-21-2010, 11:08 AM
i dont think they get anyone

netsgiantsyanks
05-21-2010, 11:08 AM

1) Darko Milicic
2) Kwame Brown
3) Greg Oden
4) Rafael Araujo
5) Marcus Haislip
6) Eddie Griffin
7) Adam Morrison
8) Zarko Cabarkapa
9) Sheldon Williams
10) Luke Jackson

eddie griffins dead(you probably know that but just pointing it out)

oak2455
05-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Hey, if theres a sign and trade, maybe the Knicks can offer the Cavs all 4 players on their roster! That would be excellent. LOL

The sad part is, theyd probably not want it.

you know what the sad part is, when he comes to the Knicks you can save that pic of yours and put it on your cubicle wall:D

bal_ravens
05-21-2010, 11:24 AM
So now that we understand the Cavs can't sign a player to a max deal other than Lebron....

ManRam
05-21-2010, 11:29 AM
You guys are straying a little off-topic here, please keep it civil. Since this is more about the Cavs than LeBron, I'll keep it open for now (not merge it to the LeBron thread), but please stay on topic.

FairWeatherFan?
05-21-2010, 11:43 AM
If LeBron leaves, The cavs shouldn't sign anyone and do not do a sign and trade, please!!!!!. Jamison and Moon will be 15 and 3 million expirings going into the next off season. And even with them on the books, hoopshype shows the cavs having 38.8 million on the cap. With a roster of: JJ Hickson, Varejao, Mo Williams, Moon, Gibson and Jamison.

The team was constructed around LeBron, and not to knock the other guys, but without lebron in the system it does not work. If LeBron leaves, the system leaves with him and it would be in the Cavs best interest to fall back into mediocrity for a season or two in order to shed the payroll and stockpile some nice draft picks, while holding on to Varejao and locking up Hickson, hopefully picking up a big piece with Jamison and Moon's expiring.

Will some fans dissapear, yeah......it happens in every city......even new york

RaiderLakersA's
05-21-2010, 11:46 AM
they were #2 in selling merchandise. and sell tickets.(playoffs too) they make money. its not a big deal.

Actually, that is more a result of the LeBron factor than of actual Cavs fandom. That team won't be in the top 10 in sells of anything if/when LBJ leaves. Bet on it.

It would be in the Cavs best interest to push for a sign & trade. It's the only way they're going to get talent. I would even explore seeing what it would take to get the top draft pick from the Wizards. You're going to need someone who will keep your fanbase recharged.

jrm2054
05-21-2010, 11:54 AM
dude not to insult you but teams can go over the cap to sign there own players so th cavs can offer lebron a max but if he leaves they dont have cap space to make a max offer to anyone else

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-21-2010, 12:20 PM

1) Darko Milicic
2) Kwame Brown
3) Greg Oden
4) Rafael Araujo
5) Marcus Haislip
6) Eddie Griffin
7) Adam Morrison
8) Zarko Cabarkapa
9) Sheldon Williams
10) Luke Jackson

isn't he dead

THE_G.O.A.T.
05-21-2010, 12:39 PM
isn't he dead

Well then replace him with Steve Francis

JOSKOMANG4
05-21-2010, 12:40 PM
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/cleveland.htm

Taking off Lebron's 2010 Player option.. the Cavs will be about 7 million under the cap, meaning they cannot afford to do all that much.

Potential Lineup:

C) Varejao
PF) Hickson
SF) A.Jamison
SG) D.West
PG) M.Williams

Bench:

SG A.Parker
SF/SG J.Moon
PF L.Powe
PG S.Telfair(will exercise player option)
SG/PG Boobie Gibson

As you can see, they need Lebron to resign

champ101695
05-21-2010, 12:56 PM
u just pay a fine if u are over the cap

hugepatsfan
05-21-2010, 01:24 PM

Taking off Lebron's 2010 Player option.. the Cavs will be about 7 million under the cap, meaning they cannot afford to do all that much.

Potential Lineup:

C) Varejao
PF) Hickson
SF) A.Jamison
SG) D.West
PG) M.Williams

Bench:

SG A.Parker
SF/SG J.Moon
PF L.Powe
PG S.Telfair(will exercise player option)
SG/PG Boobie Gibson

As you can see, they need Lebron to resign

:puke:

thescore53
05-21-2010, 01:30 PM

well theres something called bird rights, and a team can go over to retain their free agents

CTown81
05-21-2010, 01:34 PM
As an FYI the Cavs should actually be around 11 million under a 56 million cap next season.

West is most likely going to be bought out.

No backup plan is Lebron James but I have heard that they might try to target David Lee.

Starting lineup would be.

Mo Williams
Anthony Parker
A. Jamison
JJ Hickson
David Lee

Varejao, Boobie, Moon, Powe off bench...

Obviously no longer a title contender... Probably a 7 seed. Then after next year they would shop Mo and Jamison to actually rebuild completely around Hickson, Lee, Varejao. Again nothing that special...

pebloemer
05-21-2010, 01:42 PM
u just pay a fine if u are over the cap

Again, not at all true. You really should read through the salary cap rules before you make statements about it...

A site for you:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

CTown81
05-21-2010, 01:43 PM
^ Agreed. Its not rocket science here folks...

hugepatsfan
05-21-2010, 01:43 PM
If Lebron goes...

CLE will suck for the next 3 years. They need to NOT take back a Deng-like contract and totally rebuild.

thescore53
05-21-2010, 01:54 PM
As an FYI the Cavs should actually be around 11 million under a 56 million cap next season.

West is most likely going to be bought out.

No backup plan is Lebron James but I have heard that they might try to target David Lee.

Starting lineup would be.

Mo Williams
Anthony Parker
A. Jamison
JJ Hickson
David Lee

Varejao, Boobie, Moon, Powe off bench...

Obviously no longer a title contender... Probably a 7 seed. Then after next year they would shop Mo and Jamison to actually rebuild completely around Hickson, Lee, Varejao. Again nothing that special...

7th seed really,.... looks more like a lottery team to me

CTown81
05-21-2010, 01:57 PM
If Lebron goes...

CLE will suck for the next 3 years. They need to NOT take back a Deng-like contract and totally rebuild.

I agree the Cavs SHOULD just blow it up but the issue will be we really can't this season since Jamison and Mo have 2 more years left on their deal so they will be hard to trade this upcoming season.

After the 2010 - 2011 the Cavs would be able to sell Mo and Jamison off and would also have Parker and Moon off the books with just Hickson as the only relevant FA to resign.

I agree they are not taking a ridiculous contract back from Lebron unless it is the same length as Jamison and Mo and Gilbert thinks it will allow them to slip into the playoffs next year and thus give him a few extra games of revenue/try to keep fan morale up.

CTown81
05-21-2010, 01:59 PM

You could be right but in the East you never know. I think that team would be right there as the 7th-10th best team in the East... All of those teams are normally within 5-6 games of each other.

Without LeBron unless we landed some crazy sign and trade in which we could actually still compete id be ok with them completely sucking to start the true rebuilding process a year early with at least a good draft pick.

abe_froman
05-21-2010, 02:42 PM
no one,even through all the talk of s+t's,i still firmly believe that if lebron leaves,they'll go into fire sale mode,tank..until they get another number 1 pick

igPay atinLay
05-21-2010, 03:03 PM
If I'm Cleveland I have a better idea than just letting him walk.

I'd talk to Lebron's agent and say did you hear Mark Cuban's comment about possibly being interested in a sign and trade, we'd even be willing to work out a deal that lets Lebron play with Dirk.

Then call Dallas and make a sign and trade happen, it puts Lebron on a good team in the west and you could get a good young player or two so you get something.

Kevj77
05-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Completely wrong. They obviously have the void cap space that LeBron would've had.Wrong they wouldn't have much cap space if LeBron leaves. They still own a lot of money to some of their players that puts the close to the cap without James. They can sign James even if it puts them over the cap because he is their player already. Just because he leaves them doesn't mean they can spend the money they would have gave him on someone else.

OT Thriller
05-21-2010, 04:10 PM
If Lebron goes, Cleveland is pretty screwed lets be honest.

I'd say there best bet is to sign Tracy McGrady to a mid level contract and hope there is something left in the tank.

blastmasta26
05-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Cleveland should definitely look to rebuild if LeBron is gone. The team needs to get young and they will need to change the roster to adapt to whatever system the new coach will have.

SouljahPhil...
05-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Rebuild...suck for 2-3 years and gain a top 5 pick every year...

trade Jamison for picks..same for varejao and mo williams...

Continue to build on Hickson and Boobie...

hugepatsfan
05-22-2010, 11:14 AM
One thing the Cavs have is a very good option as a defensive C (Vareajo) and a potentially very good scoring PF in Hickson. Their bigs seem to be a strong point going forward.

SouljahPhil...
05-22-2010, 11:45 AM
One thing the Cavs have is a very good option as a defensive C (Vareajo) and a potentially very good scoring PF in Hickson. Their bigs seem to be a strong point going forward.

agree...plus they should trade jamison and mo for picks..

Ad most importantly S&T bron if garbage and fat contracts are the return..

They need to finish 3-5 in the loss column for 2 years 2 make the rebuilding faster if indeed james leave..

Robbw241
05-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Rebuild IMO. Get as many first round picks as they can.

igPay atinLay
05-22-2010, 12:03 PM

They are in the East and that team isn't much worse than Atlanta or Miami was this year. The problem in the East (and this coming from a Sixers fan) is that bad teams can and will make the playoffs until they get more talents in the the middle of the conference.

The top 2 or 3 teams this year in the east are as good if not better than the top 2 or 3 in west but below that is garbage.

Hawkeye15
05-22-2010, 12:07 PM

not entirely. They would still have nearly $50 million guaranteed, so they would only have around $6-7 to use. If LeBron leaves them outright, Cleveland goes straight back to the lottery and there isn't much they can do about it.

SouljahPhil...
05-22-2010, 12:11 PM
not entirely. They would still have nearly $50 million guaranteed, so they would only have around $6-7 to use. If LeBron leaves them outright, Cleveland goes straight back to the lottery and there isn't much they can do about it.

yup...

they should also trade mo and jamison to add some picks to their rebuilding..

Hawkeye15
05-22-2010, 12:31 PM
yup...

they should also trade mo and jamison to add some picks to their rebuilding..

well, its a no brainer that they would want to start an actual rebuild. Moving Jamsion should be no problem. Mo, may be harder
But I agree, they would need to start over.

Ray_R
05-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Rebuild...suck for 2-3 years and gain a top 5 pick every year...

trade Jamison for picks..same for varejao and mo williams...

Continue to build on Hickson and Boobie...

THis.

NBAfan4life
05-22-2010, 12:43 PM
I only read pages 1, 4, and 5 but if James leave they will have very little cap space. Without the cash cow that is Lebron James Dan Gilbert will want no part of the luxury tax. With James he can afford to without him he is still a small market without LBJ.

Montana_Rob
05-22-2010, 12:51 PM
trade James to Washington for Arenas and #1 pick (aka John Wall)

Montana_Rob
05-22-2010, 12:54 PM
oh and to comment on the salary cap debate:

If you are over the cap you can sign a player to the Mid Level Exception (MLE) which is up to $6 a year

Pierzynski4Prez
05-22-2010, 12:56 PM
lol at all the dumb**** people on the 1st page who think they know how the NBA salary cap works

fadedmario
05-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Without Lebron, who would want to play for Cleveland? Seriously...

vasjr
05-22-2010, 02:01 PM
trade James to Washington for Arenas and #1 pick (aka John Wall)

Why would the cavs trade for Gilbert Arenas when they would draft John Wall and already have Mo:confused:

Montana_Rob
05-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Well you could argue that Arenas is a 2 guard trapped in a PG's body so he could be the scoring guard while Wall D's up the 2 guard on most teams. Mo or Gilbert could be moved after the trade

gmm902
05-22-2010, 04:08 PM
they do need a big man like yao but they would need a big time scorer

Sixerlover
05-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Why would the cavs trade for Gilbert Arenas when they would draft John Wall and already have Mo:confused:

Because Wall is a once in a while talent. You make room for wall, not deny him because Mo Williams is on the team :laugh2:

But if Cleveland loses LeBron, they lose the franchise essentially. They should look for options for Mo + Jamison, then build around whoever they draft

igPay atinLay
05-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Because Wall is a once in a while talent. You make room for wall, not deny him because Mo Williams is on the team :laugh2:

But if Cleveland loses LeBron, they lose the franchise essentially. They should look for options for Mo + Jamison, then build around whoever they draft

I think John Wall and Evan Turner could and probably will both be perennial all stars, I'm glad the Sixers most likely have Turner but you don't win with 3 point guards.

If you trade for the first pick you don't take Arenas, and I don't think you can win a championship with Arenas ever. There are reasons that the Randy Moss superbowl lost the superbowl, and Terrel Owens never won a championship. Some guys are amazing talents but are losers and they never win championships for a reason. Arenas is one of those guys, he is a bad person, an arrogant person, a criminal, and cares more about himself than winning.

Jeremy Roenik (don't know or care how to spell the name) once said during and interview "I play as good as I do because I love winning, but I hate losing more"

Arenas and Mo Williams both need minutes and ad John Wall to the mix and you have 3 guys that need to play the same position at the same time. As good as Wall is he's not Lebron.

drobe86
05-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Doesn't matter who Cleveland gets. If Lebron leaves Cleveland might as well just stop playing nba basketball. Bron Bron is the only reason that Cleveland is relevant to the world anyway.

cubulls
05-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Doesn't matter who Cleveland gets. If Lebron leaves Cleveland might as well just stop playing nba basketball. Bron Bron is the only reason that Cleveland is relevant to the world anyway.

Exactly :clap:

effen5
05-22-2010, 09:58 PM

Very sad but very true

Sixerlover
05-22-2010, 10:01 PM
I think John Wall and Evan Turner could and probably will both be perennial all stars, I'm glad the Sixers most likely have Turner but you don't win with 3 point guards.

If you trade for the first pick you don't take Arenas, and I don't think you can win a championship with Arenas ever. There are reasons that the Randy Moss superbowl lost the superbowl, and Terrel Owens never won a championship. Some guys are amazing talents but are losers and they never win championships for a reason. Arenas is one of those guys, he is a bad person, an arrogant person, a criminal, and cares more about himself than winning.

Jeremy Roenik (don't know or care how to spell the name) once said during and interview "I play as good as I do because I love winning, but I hate losing more"

Arenas and Mo Williams both need minutes and ad John Wall to the mix and you have 3 guys that need to play the same position at the same time. As good as Wall is he's not Lebron.
They aren't going to "win" next year anyway if LeBron isn't on the team, so if you can get Wall then you should do so. Let one superstar go for the other, then once you have him build around that. Mo is expendable, if anybody will take Arenas fine, etc but get the young stud first IMO.

blacknell
05-22-2010, 10:07 PM
they can get almost anybody they want

Jaji
05-22-2010, 10:10 PM
A lottery pick in the 2011 draft.

PHX2daDEATH
05-22-2010, 10:29 PM

yeah this... The Franchise might as well fold or move to seattle or somewhere.. If Lebron leaves who is going to want to play for that team.. without Lebron that team is in the lottery ..if Lebron leaves its far more hurtful then Ernest's fumble, Elways drive or the Indians blowing game 7 in the world series

hugepatsfan
05-22-2010, 11:48 PM

Moss scored a go-ahead TD w/ under 3 minutes to go and TO carried his team (I thought he was MVP of the game even though he lost).

I understand your point though. There are some guys who are losers (Arenas is one of them).

shep33
05-23-2010, 12:05 AM
nobody...

Cleveland IMO is done for a long long time without LBJ, which is likely the unfortunate reality. All these great free agents want to play with other great players or in a sexy place... It's sad that one player's presence can change an entire franchise... Cleveland isn't a Chicago or New York where all the glamour is, and it sucks that this is what players look for now.