PDA

View Full Version : NBA suspends referee who threw ball at fan

Kakaroach
05-20-2010, 06:58 PM
The NBA has suspended referee Joe DeRosa one game for throwing a ball at a fan during Game 2 of the Celtics-Magic series.

The fan in question obviously got under DeRosa's skin, and was promptly thrown out of the arena. This is a strange footnote but obviously won't affect the trajectory of the series.http://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/14387921128

Expected as much

ko8e24
05-20-2010, 06:59 PM
He had it coming. Joey Crawford got suspended because he challenged Tim Duncan's manhood, and now, this DeRosa guy for challenging a fan's manhood.

What up with these ****** refs nowadays, :laugh2:

RipVW
05-20-2010, 07:06 PM
He had it coming. Joey Crawford got suspended because he challenged Tim Duncan's manhood, and now, this DeRosa guy for challenging a fan's manhood.

What up with these ****** refs nowadays, :laugh2:

Stern needs to break their union.

barreleffact
05-20-2010, 07:13 PM
really? one game??? the fans pay for everything and you challenge a fan with enough money for a premium seat and all you do is give the ref one game? BS. the ref obviously proved he cant handle himself properly. how do you know that it didnt transfer over at all to his officiating?( logical question, but I have not looked at HIS specific officiating of the game)

Caps1989
05-20-2010, 07:40 PM
really? one game??? the fans pay for everything and you challenge a fan with enough money for a premium seat and all you do is give the ref one game? BS. the ref obviously proved he cant handle himself properly. how do you know that it didnt transfer over at all to his officiating?( logical question, but I have not looked at HIS specific officiating of the game)

Almost on the ball but not quite.
"the fans pay for everything". Thats true but it doesnt give fans a free pass to do what ever they want. If you think it does i dare you to go on live tv and do what he did. That fan, probably drunk, had just as much to do with the incident as the ref did. Your argument is only valid because he payed for a ticket, thats all.

barreleffact
05-20-2010, 07:50 PM
"the fans pay for everything". Thats true but it doesnt give fans a free pass to do what ever they want. If you think it does i dare you to go on live tv and do what he did. That fan, probably drunk, had just as much to do with the incident as the ref did. Your argument is only valid because he payed for a ticket, thats all.

In no way am I trying to imply that fans should get the right to say or do whatever we want for purchasing a ticket. However, fans should have the right to say pretty much whatever they want unless its a threat. The refs should grow some thick skin and drive on because the fans have every right to be upset or convey their opinions. Should fans act like drunken idiots? Hell no! But fans should be able to tell a ref he sucks while standing 4 feet behind the announcers table!

Plus the guy threw the ball back with the same gesture as it was thrown to him, without any signs of ill intent or malice. If I was him, I would have just run with the ball and sold it on Ebay or kept it. Apparently the ref wanted him to have it

Raph12
05-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Should be more than a 1gm suspension IMO

Cromedome
05-20-2010, 08:34 PM
If the ref throws a ball at me...i'm either throwing it right back or dribbling my way out of the arena.

Crossing over the security guards, spinning around the other fans right out the door.

Jahari Kavi
05-20-2010, 08:36 PM
In no way am I trying to imply that fans should get the right to say or do whatever we want for purchasing a ticket. However, fans should have the right to say pretty much whatever they want unless its a threat. The refs should grow some thick skin and drive on because the fans have every right to be upset or convey their opinions. Should fans act like drunken idiots? Hell no! But fans should be able to tell a ref he sucks while standing 4 feet behind the announcers table!

Plus the guy threw the ball back with the same gesture as it was thrown to him, without any signs of ill intent or malice. If I was him, I would have just run with the ball and sold it on Ebay or kept it. Apparently the ref wanted him to have it

i agree....he should've gotten more than one game

BaustinSali08
05-20-2010, 08:39 PM

It's hard to judge the fan not knowing what he said. Fans can heckle and taunt all they want, it's home court advantage. But if he was using foul language or obscene gestures it would be justified he was thrown out. My guess is he didn't really say anything that warranted an ejection and was annoying the ref to the point where the ref threw the ball at him.

97NYer
05-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Someone post a link to the video.

Corey
05-20-2010, 09:40 PM
:laugh:

I still say that if I was the fan, I'd be walking away with that ball.

Wilson
05-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Absolutely ridiculous. I wonder how many games the ref gets when he gets upset again, but this time decides to throw players out for no reason?

I bet if he'd thrown out Kobe, LeBron, Howard or some other star instead of the fan, Sterny definitely would have come down harder...

b0nk
05-20-2010, 09:49 PM
was more like a pass. lol
its not like he beaned him in the face

avrpatsfan
05-20-2010, 09:52 PM
He deserved it.

fadedmario
05-20-2010, 10:05 PM
That fan should have kept the ball. He was the CEO of some company down there. Good suspension handed down by the league.

Double_R
05-21-2010, 09:41 AM
That ref shouldn't be allowed to officiate for the rest of the playoffs and that fan should get his money back for his ticket. Another dbag move by a ref in the playoffs.

RadiantShot
05-21-2010, 09:42 AM
That 'fan' was actually a CEO of some major hotel-line, and apparently had relations with Doc Rivers. Haha.

Double_R
05-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Here's the link of the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppxKf6N_8-g

yea Radiant shot I agree, the better team usually wins regardless of the reffing, like last year we proved that against Cleveland, but it's still ridiculous how one bad official can have such an effect on a game's outcome...

spoonhoops
05-21-2010, 09:48 AM
He should have been suspended for the rest of the playoffs and the first 10 games of next season. Teach the man a lesson.

RadiantShot
05-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Here's the link of the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppxKf6N_8-g

yea Radiant shot I agree, the better team usually wins regardless of the reffing, like last year we proved that against Cleveland, but it's still ridiculous how one bad official can have such an effect on a game's outcome...

Yeah, definitely. Like I said, reffing could be terrible, but if you are truly better than the other team, the reffing wont make a difference, in the sense of winning or losing.

And I've seen the video, the referee seems a bit immature. Teach him a lesson. Leave him out the rest of the Playoffs. Throwing a ball at a fan? Very unprofessional.

xbrackattackx
05-21-2010, 09:55 AM
"the fans pay for everything". Thats true but it doesnt give fans a free pass to do what ever they want. If you think it does i dare you to go on live tv and do what he did. That fan,probably drunk, had just as much to do with the incident as the ref did. Your argument is only valid because he payed for a ticket, thats all.

Assumption?

lakersrock
05-21-2010, 10:52 AM
:laugh:

I still say that if I was the fan, I'd be walking away with that ball.

I would have to. If they had to drag me outside holding it, that's what they would have done and then I would have called a lawyer to get me free tickets to the next game haha.

I do think it's douchey that Joey got suspended an entire playoffs for correct calls (Tim whines more than anyone...even Kobe) and this jerk gets one game for throwing something at a fan. Had Artest done this, he woulda been banned for life.

xbrackattackx
05-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Only one game suspension?

J-Relo
05-21-2010, 11:19 AM
He should have been suspended for the rest of the playoffs and the first 10 games of next season. Teach the man a lesson.

are you the one he threw the ball to?

xbrackattackx
05-21-2010, 11:27 AM
are you the one he threw the ball to?

lol.

ugafan
05-21-2010, 11:37 AM
He is the CEO of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyndham_Worldwide

Not just some small company.

hugepatsfan
05-21-2010, 01:47 PM
The ref was way out of line. The NBA is a disgrace w/ their double standards - if Sheed or Artest did exactly that the league would kick them out.