PDA

View Full Version : Mikhail Prokhorov: The Man of the Hour

DevonMSF
05-20-2010, 05:45 PM
This guy claims the Nets will win a ring in 5 years MAX. Crazy? Maybe not.

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2010/05/mikhail-prokhorov-the-man-of-the-hour/#more-14768

Gibby23
05-20-2010, 05:47 PM
I think this is a great start for the Nets. I think this guy will be a sucess. 5 years seems realistic.

ko8e24
05-20-2010, 05:48 PM
If they win the LeBron sweepstakes, then yes, they can win a title in the next 5 yrs. If they don't, then he looks like a fool. Plain and simple.

And for the fact that he was so confident in saying that should tell Nets fans that there is a very good chance they'll land LeBron with that whole LeBron wanting to be a billionaire (now he has a owner in Prokhorov who is worth 15+ billion) and his friend Jay-Z.

DevonMSF
05-20-2010, 05:50 PM
It's all hit or miss with this guy! If he get's LeBron, this thing should be a huge, huge move by him, and the NBA will profit. Don't the Nets have enough money for 2 max players? Imagine Bron, and Wade. Or Wade and Bosh, or Bron and Bosh...

arkanian215
05-20-2010, 05:55 PM
It's all hit or miss with this guy! If he get's LeBron, this thing should be a huge, huge move by him, and the NBA will profit. Don't the Nets have enough money for 2 max players? Imagine Bron, and Wade. Or Wade and Bosh, or Bron and Bosh...

No. Not even losing down to the third spot in the lottery gave us a chance at 2 maxes. We're off by about half a million at best (we don't pick up CDR's option, buyout Dooling and have 500k count against our cap and Hump decides to test FA. maybe that includes trading away the Dallas pick). Those things together eat up about $8 million of our cap. So unless we move one of the other pieces, we can't afford 2 maxes.

Draco
05-20-2010, 05:56 PM
I think this is a great start for the Nets. I think this guy will be a sucess. 5 years seems realistic.

lol

Gibby23
05-20-2010, 06:01 PM
lol

Why are you laughing? They have a young Center anad a PG in place. The Center is a legit 7 footer with post moves. They have money to spend and the 3rd pick. They have a chance to add Lebron, and sign a guy like Joe Johnson with the rest of the cap space they have. They could end up drafting Cousins to put next to Lopez witht the 3rd pick.

A line up of

Harris
Joe Johnson
Lebron
Cousins
Brook Lopez

would be the #1 seed in the east.

ko8e24
05-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Why are you laughing? They have a young Center anad a PG in place. The Center is a legit 7 footer with post moves. They have money to spend and the 3rd pick. They have a chance to add Lebron, and sign a guy like Joe Johnson with the rest of the cap space they have. They could end up drafting Cousins to put next to Lopez witht the 3rd pick.

A line up of

Harris
Joe Johnson
Lebron
Cousins
Brook Lopez

would be the #1 seed in the east.

Don't forget, they also got guys like Courtney Lee and a good defender in Chris Douglas-Roberts.

asandhu23
05-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Lol... just wait for Larry Ellison to buy the Warriors.

ko8e24
05-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Lol... just wait for Larry Ellison to buy the Warriors.

LeBron to the bay area?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :speechless:

DevonMSF
05-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Imagine this:

-Harris
-Wade (if NJ clears space for the second MAX)
-LeBron
-Cousins
-Lopez

...dynasty...

babyshaq87
05-20-2010, 06:47 PM
i don't know if the nets will win a championship in the next 5 years.. i don't know if they can land lebron.. nobody can know what's gonna happen..
the only thing people can say is that this guy wants to spend on the nets, wants to bring the winning mentality he had during his ownership of the CSKA Moscow..
Probably he won't land Bron and won't win a championship anytime soon.. but his nets won't be the old nets.. u can bet ur *** on this..

Lakersfanla24
05-20-2010, 06:47 PM
LMFAO at the nets even being contenders in 5 years. all of you who think lebron will bring a title wherever he goes make me laugh. How many has he brought to cleveland with a great supporting cast???? oh yah thats right he made it to the finals once in 7 years and got swept.
Everyone needs to get off his nuts and realize hes nothing more then a guy who puts up great numbers. I could be wrong, hell i hope i am, but to me hes just not a winner in this league, he cares more about money and fame than he does about winning.

asandhu23
05-20-2010, 06:59 PM
LeBron to the bay area?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :speechless:

hey man, there are articles about this lol.... http://bleacherreport.com/articles/393766-lebron-james-coliseum-much-love-could-lure-him-to-warriors

I will boycott games again if they do bring him there but they won't so its all good.

njnets
05-20-2010, 07:03 PM
he sounds cocky sometimes but i think it just reflects how much he wants to win. there are many owners in basketball, baseball, etc, that only care about racking in money. he has the money, now he wants the championship. 5 years, should the nets not land lebron, might be a tad early. but its not unrrealistic at all. lopez is a legit 7 footer and will get even better. i think within the next 2 years he can be a top ten center at worst, i think he will become top 5. harris a pretty damn good pg. has some problems but his supporting cast aint great either. Twill has a lot of upside, progressed a lot in the end of the year. C lee is a proven defender and role player should the nets sign a lebron/wade type player who is first option. their PF position is a mess. yi is not that good, favors would fill in pretty good. i personally want david lee bc he would compliment lopez pretty decently and run the floor. the draft is first though. bench needs a little depth. also, coaching is overlooked. last years team was not a 12 win team with a better coach. many games kiki screwed up in the end in my mind. a new coach with a fresh start should be nice.

thats my take on the whole situation lol (alot of stuff i just wrote)

ULT WARRIOR408
05-20-2010, 07:08 PM
With all the $$$$ he's got I could see it happening.But realistically I say they when at the very least 1 as long as he's their majority owner but in 5 years I'm not so sure but I wouldn't rule it out.

arkanian215
05-20-2010, 08:08 PM
he sounds cocky sometimes but i think it just reflects how much he wants to win. there are many owners in basketball, baseball, etc, that only care about racking in money. he has the money, now he wants the championship. 5 years, should the nets not land lebron, might be a tad early. but its not unrrealistic at all. lopez is a legit 7 footer and will get even better. i think within the next 2 years he can be a top ten center at worst, i think he will become top 5. harris a pretty damn good pg. has some problems but his supporting cast aint great either. Twill has a lot of upside, progressed a lot in the end of the year. C lee is a proven defender and role player should the nets sign a lebron/wade type player who is first option. their PF position is a mess. yi is not that good, favors would fill in pretty good. i personally want david lee bc he would compliment lopez pretty decently and run the floor. the draft is first though. bench needs a little depth. also, coaching is overlooked. last years team was not a 12 win team with a better coach. many games kiki screwed up in the end in my mind. a new coach with a fresh start should be nice.

I think it's also to assure the fan base that he is here to fund a winning team and isn't going to be like Ratner or his predecessors. He expects this investment to be profitable in the future and a big part of that has to do with expanding the fan base.

We're already off to our best start in franchise history in new season ticket holder sales (yes even better than after the year after the two finals appearances).

jkiddvc20
05-20-2010, 08:13 PM

Lopez is already top 5, possibly even in the top 3

USMCLaker
05-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Ownership makes a big difference (Thank you Dr. Buss) 5 years is not out of the realm of possiblity. He has put it out there now I would give him a chance to back it up, if I was a Nets fan no one elses opinion would matter.

vash9
05-20-2010, 08:27 PM
Ownership makes a big difference (Thank you Dr. Buss) 5 years is not out of the realm of possiblity. He has put it out there now I would give him a chance to back it up, if I was a Nets fan no one elses opinion would matter.

:clap:

USMCLaker
05-20-2010, 08:30 PM
:clap:

:rock:

njnets
05-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Lopez is already top 5, possibly even in the top 3

i never liked to be accused of being a homer. thats why i left room for debate. i do agree that he is top 5. i dont like to say something that confident about my team bc many people see that as homerish.

I think it's also to assure the fan base that he is here to fund a winning team and isn't going to be like Ratner or his predecessors. He expects this investment to be profitable in the future and a big part of that has to do with expanding the fan base.

We're already off to our best start in franchise history in new season ticket holder sales (yes even better than after the year after the two finals appearances).

i saw that too. that extra revenue from tickets sales helps alot for the new building and other things for the team. just watched part of an interview with him. the guys wants to win badly

Raoul Duke
05-20-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm happy for Nets fans. You're about to find out how nice it is to have a passionate and engaged owner, and with deep pockets to boot.

JOSKOMANG4
05-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Imagine this:

-Harris
-Wade (if NJ clears space for the second MAX)
-LeBron
-Cousins
-Lopez

...dynasty...

It's gonna be..

C) Lopez
PF) D.Favors(3rd overall pick, G.Tech)
SF) CDR4
SG) Lebron
PG) D.Harris

Bench:

C/PF J.Boone
PF/SF Yi
PF/SF Humphries
SG C.Lee
SF/SG T.Williams
SG L.Stephenson(Projected 2nd rd pick)
PG) W.Warren(Projected 27th overall pick)

Not to mention their no longer playing in that ******* hole in East Rutherford.. their moving to newark next city at the Prudential Center(Arena is gorgeous).

njnets
05-20-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm happy for Nets fans. You're about to find out how nice it is to have a passionate and engaged owner, and with deep pockets to boot.

ratner's short pockets KILLED us sometimes. last few years especially. this guy is no limits. love it.

Chill_Will_24
05-20-2010, 10:05 PM
On behalf of Net fan i appreciate all the love. The Nets have been the butt of joke all year and it not everyday that fans of other teams refrain from dissin us. I dont know about all the Lebron talk but i know that this franchise is headed the right way.

sargon21
05-20-2010, 11:11 PM
i like this guy

lakersrock
05-20-2010, 11:19 PM
Devin Harris
Courtney Lee
LeBron James
Derrick Favors
Brook Lopez

That's actually pretty good looking. You have a defensive PG that can do all kinds of things, a smaller defensive/3P Shooting SG, LeBron, a young PF, that is insanely athletic and appears to like playing defense and a young C who can score, rebound and defend.

If Favors plays out, I could easily see that team contending for a title given Boston is close to over, Orlando will always choke and Cleveland would obviously be done.

Draco
05-20-2010, 11:23 PM
i like this guy

I like him too. I'm not sure he really believes half of what he says. If I were a billionaire, NBA owner I'd probably answer all my press questions in the same way lol

Asked if he would be starting a trend of Russian billionaires stealing our pro teams, he deadpanned, “America, I come in peace.”

But pressed for concrete answers about how he plans to deliver on this promise of winning a championship — “minimum one year, maximum five years,” he keeps saying — the responses were vague.

The first time he answered “if I tell you, I will have to kill you,” it was laugh-out-loud funny. But the next dozen or so times he answered questions referring to his “top-secret” plans for the team that he would not reveal, it seemed less like a wisecrack and more like a crutch.

Kakaroach
05-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Bold statement, but it all depends on their off-season this year. The draft and free agents they get.

MJ-BULLS
05-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Bold statement, but it all depends on their off-season this year. The draft and free agents they get.

Agree, imo its the draft mostly then the offseason moves they make.

Wilson
05-20-2010, 11:49 PM
It's not that unrealistic. As some people have already mentioned, starting off with Devin Harris, Brook Lopez, Chris Douglas-Roberts and Courtney Lee isn't bad at all. They also have a high draft pick and cap space. That sets them up perfectly for this year, then they'll just need to find chemistry, the right coach and the right collection of role players in the next five years, which is extremely possible.

In my opinion the only danger they're in is of having too many guys. If you have a team with a lot of great players and big egos, chemistry can easily be compromised because roles are unclear and/or some players may feel that they're bigger than their role asks them to be.

If nothing else, the Nets should at least be a very interesting team to keep an eye on in the near future...

DMasta718
05-20-2010, 11:51 PM
Crazy statement? Yes. At least it shows he wants this franchise to be a winner.

This guy is awesome.:laugh2: