PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson 12mil to 5 mil pay cut??!?

nbafan63
05-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Wilson reported 2 days ago that Lakers front office already talked to Phil about a pay cut. He stated an informed source said Phil if he returns will be capped at $5 mill.

Then yesterday after the press conference he was asked if it was true and he said, he had conversations with the front office and if he returns he would indeed be taking a less pay. He didn't deny or confirm the $5 mill amount.

Is it possible to Lakers would slash his salary by that much? And would PJax even take a $7 mill pay cut? I mean, I know the man is getting paid a lot @ $12 mill, but I don't know anyone who would take more than a 50% pay cut and still return to his work. I would give my boss the middle finger and walk out if they told me to take a 50%+ pay cut. Especially if I'm one the best in the world at what I do!!

I'm a Lakers fan, but I'm afraid this little stunt can make Phil leave and go coach a nice assembled team this summer. Lebronze???

camador22
05-20-2010, 11:02 AM
He will coach any team Lebron ends up in. The Cavs would be wise to give him 10M a season.

lakersrock
05-20-2010, 11:02 AM
He's got more money than he could ever need.....especially given he lives out in the middle of nowhere and doesn't spend it like it's out of style. I can definitely see him taking a pay cut if LA wins the title.

nbafan63
05-20-2010, 11:06 AM
He's got more money than he could ever need.....especially given he lives out in the middle of nowhere and doesn't spend it like it's out of style. I can definitely see him taking a pay cut if LA wins the title.

So your saying since he is rich already he can afford to take a $7 million paycut? You cant even use the term "pay cut". A "pay cut" is like $12 million to 10 million. $12 million to $5 million is just straight slap in the face with a Bukkake facial.

GivenGrace
05-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Any chance he goes back to Chicago?

I'm pretty sure I read it was either LAL or nothing.

didn't mean to answer my own question, just thinking with my fingers :)

nbafan63
05-20-2010, 11:16 AM
he isnt going to chicago. he had a fallout with the chicago front office when he left.

clutchski
05-20-2010, 11:21 AM
If he wants to stay with the organization that much he'll take the cut. If it's not a big deal what organization he coaches, he'll leave. I would think a 10 mill contract from another NBA team (obviously double the pay he'd be getting from LA), he'd be nuts to stay.

Dark Donnie
05-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah $12 to $5 million is a little ridiculous.

majmarcus
05-20-2010, 11:41 AM
I don't think ANY pay cut is fair if we win another title! Buss(IMO)is wrong to do this if it happens! It seems that Buss probably have that Jerry Jones Syndrome when he said "Any one of 500 coaches in the nfl can coach that Cowboys team". What happened????....Jimmy left then Boom!!!!! 3peat went up in smoke! Coaches like Phil doesn't come around often! That dude needs to get paid his value! Is 12 millie a bit much?!?!? Yeah! But look at what ur gettin in return: Best coach coachin the best player on a hella talented team workin on a 3rd str8 finals appearance and hopefully 2nd str8 title. Your Lakers has appeared in 6 Finals under his wing and winning 4 of them. I'm certain the things I've mentioned has made the Buss fam a ton of money! Jerry...u ain't starving! Don't start tightnening up ur purse strings now! Lakers are on the brink of some ish...don't phukk it up by being stupid!

hugepatsfan
05-20-2010, 12:00 PM
PJ is too pompous and full of himself to take a pay cut, IMO.

igPay atinLay
05-20-2010, 12:18 PM
They are doing this because his coach in waiting is on the Lakers now. I think the Lakers are saying "hey Phil if you want to stay in LA and win more championships great if not you've been training your replacement for 4 or 5 years now so its up to you."

RaiderLakersA's
05-20-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm not worried.

If the Lakers asked him to take a pay cut to $5M as reported, I bet they probably sweetened the deal by offering him a small percentage ownership stake to help balance out the numbers.

Like it or not, Phil is going to retire, whether it's at the end of this season or the next. No point in shelling out another $12M in a "hired gun on his last hurrah" fashion, when you can have him invested in the team in other ways after he leaves the coach's chair.

Kobe4Life
05-20-2010, 12:57 PM
He will coach any team Lebron ends up in. The Cavs would be wise to give him 10M a season.

And you heard this from who? Yourself? :clap:

spoonhoops
05-20-2010, 01:01 PM
As a person who is not a huge Lakers fan, I hope Jackson leaves where he can get paid so the playing field can get more equal.

THE MTL
05-20-2010, 01:07 PM
He is probably just going to retire. Anyway, watch him find a way to coach Lebron James and company.

Raoul Duke
05-20-2010, 01:31 PM
...but I don't know anyone who would take more than a 50% pay cut and still return to his work. I would give my boss the middle finger and walk out if they told me to take a 50%+ pay cut. Especially if I'm one the best in the world at what I do!!

Yeah, but you have to put that in perspective. If you got a raise and you made 12 million dollars next year, and the following year your boss said "hey we can only afford to pay you 5 million this year", would you honestly give him the finger and walk out?

It's not the same to ask someone who makes $50k if they'd accept $25k, or whatever.

nbafan63
05-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Yeah, but you have to put that in perspective. If you got a raise and you made 12 million dollars next year, and the following year your boss said "hey we can only afford to pay you 5 million this year", would you honestly give him the finger and walk out?

It's not the same to ask someone who makes $50k if they'd accept $25k, or whatever.

Well, if the company was losing money and everyone across the board is taking a pay cut then I would. Now lets put this in perspective as you call it. Is the Laker losing money next year? No, in fact Lakers is one of the most profitable NBA teams. Is Kobe taking a paycut? What about Luke Walton who does absolutely nothing...does he take a pay cut too? No, they don't. Am I defending that PJax deserves 12mill? Probably not, but that's his market value, and he has done nothing but good for this team. So why should he be the one taking the pay cut? And not a small pay cut by any means.

If I was him, I'd leave and go coach another team to take down the Lakers for revenge.

ko8e24
05-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Look, when the Lakers repeat, Phil is coming back. The one thing that Kobe said last yr was that these current group of Lakers is very easy for Phil to navigate and he can pick and choose his spots on how to approach certain things of the team. The only thing that would hinder him from coming back is his health, but his health is way better than what it was 2-3 yrs ago. Phil has already admitted that a paycut is going to be necessary if he wants to come back, but he said it's still a lot of money he will be offered (I'm assuming it's going to be maybe around 9 mil a yr from the 12.5 he's currently getting). They are currently talking about a new deal, and once they've agreed on the new deal, all that will be pending is Phil's physical examination that he'll have after the Lakers parade.

ko8e24
05-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Well, if the company was losing money and everyone across the board is taking a pay cut then I would. Now lets put this in perspective as you call it. Is the Laker losing money next year? No, in fact Lakers is one of the most profitable NBA teams. Is Kobe taking a paycut? What about Luke Walton who does absolutely nothing...does he take a pay cut too? No, they don't. Am I defending that PJax deserves 12mill? Probably not, but that's his market value, and he has done nothing but good for this team. So why should he be the one taking the pay cut? And not a small pay cut by any means.

If I was him, I'd leave and go coach another team to take down the Lakers for revenge.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

How can Luke Walton take a paycut? He's under contract. You can't mess with contracts that are still going on, that is breach of contract and the Lakers ownership could get sued for that. Phil signed a 3 yr contract in the summer of 2005, and then signed a 2-yr extension in the middle of the 07-08 season, so his contract ends at the end of this yr. Phil is like a "free agent coach". Luke Walton is still under contract for the Lakers until the end of the 2011-2012 NBA Season. He signed a 5 yr deal with the Lakers in the summer of 2007 after he had his best yr of his career (06-07, aka, contract yr).

CowboysKB24
05-20-2010, 03:14 PM
He is going to retire or stay with the Lakers.

He isn't going to a team where he might not know if they will make the finals or have a great chance. He almost left the Lakers a few times over the past couple years due to medical conditions. IMO the only reason he is still coaching is because the Lakers won the championship last year.

Phil said the pay cut doesn't bother him because he is going to get paid a "ridiculous" amount either way. It is whether he wants too coach or not coach. He has plenty of cash and that is not a the issue at all.

Penetra8r
05-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Thats a huge slash in pay... I cant see Laker top brass taking it to the coach

TheWatcher34
05-20-2010, 05:24 PM
it's not enough to provide for the family..c'mon! retirement calling! :rolleyes:

Kevj77
05-20-2010, 07:42 PM
He is probably just going to retire. Anyway, watch him find a way to coach Lebron James and company.Seriously doubt it. He may retire though. Ask yourself this if you're a team would you hire a coach that will probably retire in the next two seasons and pay him 12 mil per year? Phil is 65 with a bad back and hips. He will retire soon and go fishing in Montana.

He will probably either retire or coach the Lakers next season if they repeat so he can get a 4th 3 peat. The guy thought about retirement last year after the Lakers won a title with a season left on his contract at 12 mil.