PDA

View Full Version : Ref tosses ball at fan. Fan gets ejected... huh?

MoBASS
05-19-2010, 03:37 AM
ORLANDO, Fla. -- The NBA is investigating an incident between referee Joe DeRosa and a fan at halftime of Tuesday's Game 2 of the Eastern Conference finals between Orlando and Boston.

DeRosa was walking to the scorer's table to get the warm-up jackets for his crew, a common practice before the trio of referees leave the floor at intermission. A fan behind the table approached DeRosa, gesturing with his arms and appearing to be shouting at the veteran official.

DeRosa flipped the game ball to the fan, who tossed it back. DeRosa then motioned for the man to be ejected by security.

The NBA had no immediate comment, other than saying it was reviewing the matter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5200347

Surprised no one has brought this up yet. WTF.. DeRosa should be suspended for the rest of the playoffs. :facepalm:

BaustinSali08
05-19-2010, 03:42 AM
Maybe he was giving the ball to him as a gift and was so shocked he gave it back....

tangent12
05-19-2010, 03:46 AM
^ LOL.

Well he got ejected because he was heckling the ref, that's understandable. What has me scratching my head is the fact that the ref threw the ball at the fan. I'm positive the ref should get some kind of fine for that, since it could've instigated a physical confrontation.

tredigs
05-19-2010, 03:47 AM
Depending on what the NBA finds from their investigation as to why he flipped him the ball/kicked him out, I don't see why he would or should be kicked out for the entire playoffs. That's a little overboard.

The officiating of that game was horrible, though. And they showed the incident after halftime - it was odd - so I'm curious to hear what the reasoning behind it all was (I can see him kicking out the fan for being a prick, but the ball toss thing was just odd).

Jahari Kavi
05-19-2010, 04:06 AM
this should be getting much more attention that it is...If this were a player doing the same thing it would be a top headline on ESPN........he should be fined and not allowed to ref the rest of the post season.........

DodgerBulls
05-19-2010, 04:12 AM
I remember in a baseball game, an umpire warned a fan of too much heckling. Later into the game, the umpire tossed him out by calling security. It's funny, but yes I think there is a code of conduct a fan must follow. It's one of those unwritten rules in baseball for fans. Just like when you are at a public place, you can get a ticket for cursing too much since it can bother the people around you.

Jahari Kavi
05-19-2010, 04:27 AM
I understand fans who go over board getting tossed, but a ref shouldn't be throwing balls at fans yelling at them, lol

Jahari Kavi
05-19-2010, 04:29 AM
As far as heckling goes, there is a place for it in sports....I know I heckle at sporting events...but I keep it related to the game and never get into anything personal (because that's not cool).....but telling a player or ref that they suck shouldn't get to a guy...if you can't take that then you shouldn't be in the league.

tredigs
05-19-2010, 04:31 AM
I remember in a baseball game, an umpire warned a fan of too much heckling. Later into the game, the umpire tossed him out by calling security. It's funny, but yes I think there is a code of conduct a fan must follow. It's one of those unwritten rules in baseball for fans. Just like when you are at a public place, you can get a ticket for cursing too much since it can bother the people around you.

Well yeah, that's standard. You can't just accost the refs excessively to their face and expect that there isn't going to be repercussions. They'll get pissed and kicked you out, period.

The weird part of the whole thing is that the ref tosses him the ball, and the fan tosses it right back to him in the exact same manner, then Joe kicks him out of the game (after some more words were exchanged). It was just weird, more than anything. This isn't a big deal, and it didn't happen during the game, so I am not surprised that it isn't being covered, but why the hell did he toss him the ball? That's all I'm curious about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS5e7xRV7JI&feature=player_embedded <- there's the vid of it.

MoBASS
05-19-2010, 04:34 AM
If DeRosa was going to eject the fan for heckling he should have just done that.

The guy didn't say anything after DeRosa threw the ball at him, he just tossed the ball back and was immediately ejected!

No ref should ever throw a basketball at a fan! What was he thinking?

Voodoo Alchemy
05-19-2010, 04:34 AM
Well yeah, that's standard. You can't just accost the refs excessively to their face and expect their not to be repercussions. They'll get pissed and kicked you out, period.

The weird part of the whole thing is that the ref tosses him the ball, and the fan tosses it right back to him in the exact same manner, then Joe kicks him out of the game (after some more words were exchanged). It was just weird, more than anything. This isn't a big deal, and it didn't happen during the game, so I am not surprised that it isn't being covered, but why the hell did he toss him the ball? That's all I'm curious about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS5e7xRV7JI&feature=player_embedded <- there's the vid of it.

ref tosses the ball screaming, less filling!!!

fan tosses back yelling, taste great!!!

ldc62
05-19-2010, 05:24 AM
where amazing happens... the ref throws the ball at the fan, clearly because he got pissed that the fan was yelling at him. They should look into this and suspend him. This is about as close a contact as you will get from a ref vs. fan stand point. If players get suspended for walking into the stands, refs should get suspended for throwing stuff at the buyers (fans, who pay for everything).

Corey
05-19-2010, 06:35 AM
This guy should really get suspended for the playoffs.

Referees have to be more thick skinned, and not let simple heckling get to them. He made a big mistake by tossing the ball at a fan...and he made a worse mistake by getting security to throw him out of the game for no reason.

The guy wasn't a threat.

AI4MVP
05-19-2010, 07:20 AM
if i was the fan i woulda just kept the ball. if the ****in ref is gunna throw it at me, why shud i give it back. whats the ref gunna say "oknow give it back"

derosa's a *****. way to be a professional. if there isnt some kind of punishment for this ima be pissed becuz if a player did that he wud get suspended. lets see if david sterns possy does gets any punishment

Tblaze
05-19-2010, 07:47 AM
lol physical confrontation?? He passed the fan the ball, he didn't throw it at his head or something...

this is being made a bigger deal then it should.. It's probably something like ref: "oh you think you know everything so well you do it yourself" *throws ball* Fan: "No thanks" *throws ball back*

Tossing the fan was justified in my opinion, he was clearly bothering the ref. The passing the ball part was kinda weird, but maybe he just wanted to give him a nice present before the ejection by letting him touch the ball.

jetsfan28
05-19-2010, 07:50 AM
To me, it's unfortunate that this incident is overshadowing the overall terrible quality of the reffing in games 1 and 2. I'm not saying that's why the Celtics won, as it has been horrible for both sides, but it really has been horrible.

zadora5
05-19-2010, 10:09 AM
lmao

NY Till I Die
05-19-2010, 10:18 AM
There is absolutely no reason an NBA ref should throw the ball at a fan. It's not baseball, they usulay only have one ball that is why no fan has ever came from a NB game and had the game ball, or one of the game balls. No one comes to a NBA game with the hopes of leaving with the ball. He should be suspended for the rest of the playoffs. A precedent has to be set hear ala Artest fighting with fans.

Hopefully the NBA gets this right. To be continued......

Wilson
05-19-2010, 10:41 AM
He should absolutely be suspended at least for the remainder of the play-offs. You can't let stuff get to you like that as a ref. Who's to say he isn't going to act out when players complain about calls? That could decide a play-off game, which we obviously don't want.

Plus, from the NBA's standpoint, do they even want us thinking that something like that might change the end of a game? So soon after the gambling scandal?

Assuming he didn't say anything terribly offensive, I hope the fan gets his money refunded or a future ticket for free because that was ridiculous. Play-off tickets cost way too much to be tossed for something like that.

The Ooh Child
05-19-2010, 10:44 AM
OMG this is such a controversy and a big deal!!!!. LOL, get over it

lakersrock
05-19-2010, 10:44 AM
My dad was the best I've ever seen at it. One night he was umping behind the plate and this woman would not shut up and he honestly didn't even flinch. Then she popped off a cuss word in it (this is little league btw) and he turned around, calmly pulled off his mask and said if you talk like that again you'll. That was the point at which she called him a **ckhead. He calmly said you have five minutes to leave or your team forfeits. She sat there cussing up a storm, so he finally walked over to their coach and said she has a minute left to be outta my sight or you lose.

Refs gotta know it's gonna happen and by reacting, it'll make it worse. I can't believe he isn't being blasted on tv right now. If, for example, Ron Artest grabbed ANYTHING and tossed it at a fan like that, he would have been tackled, restrained and banned for life. He threw an object at a fan and should be suspended immediately. Crawford got the whole playoffs for a right call. This should be just as stiff.

BTW, I woulda said thanks and not given it back haha. If they tried taking it, I'd hold it all the way outside and then sue them for another ticket.

smith&wesson
05-19-2010, 10:51 AM
refs make bad calls, fans react to it. its all part of the game. these nba refs are too dam much, the fans pay there salary.

GrumpyOldMan
05-19-2010, 10:58 AM
How much do you think the guy paid for that particular seat? There better be good reason for tossing him (tossing the ball back doesn't qualify IMO). I do think fans should be held to a reasonable standard of conduct, but unless this guy went into an obsenity laden tirade that I didn't see I didn't see him do anything terrible.

redsox0717
05-19-2010, 11:16 AM
That ref and the fan had better ball movement there than the Magic have had all series...

magichatnumber9
05-19-2010, 11:30 AM
If Derosa is suspended the level of officiating drops considerably. He ****ed up big time, but I agree with the commentators that fans think they are way to entitled, especially these spoon fed millionaires who have never heard the word NO in there life. Derosa is a great ref. I think in the case of Basketball fans are way to close to the players and officials. There is a reason this doesn't happen in other sports, there seated further back.

GSW Hoops
05-19-2010, 11:35 AM
NBA refs seem to be very cocky in general.

THE_FLASH_21
05-19-2010, 11:43 AM
The Guy is dumb (The Fan) shouldnt have caught the ball.. He should have let the ball hit him, and he should of feel and acted. He would have got paid pretty good.. lol

THE_FLASH_21
05-19-2010, 11:44 AM
That ref and the fan had better ball movement there than the Magic have had all series...

LOL :speechless:

ballpd05
05-19-2010, 11:46 AM
He should absolutely be suspended at least for the remainder of the play-offs.

Assuming he didn't say anything terribly offensive, I hope the fan gets his money refunded or a future ticket for free because that was ridiculous. Play-off tickets cost way too much to be tossed for something like that.

I totally agree with this. I don't have too much of an issue with the rest of the way the games were called. The officiating isn't the greatest, but I don't mind as long as it is equal. Don't call ticky tack fouls on one team and let the other team clobber guys.

But the biggest thing that I feel this is is an abuse of power. You are referee in a game where the home team being pushed around and banged up and these are the biggest games of the year for each team.

When the game is going bad especially if some questionable plays didn't go the home teams way you should expect to have some fans get on you. It comes with the territory. You know as long as it isn't overly offensive like coming at your in a real personal matter (like if you had a child with disabilities and someone poked fun or something like that) or getting in his face with a threat you think is legit.

The fact of the matter is that fan paid good money to be in that seat, and the ref gets paid good money to make sure that the game is played on an equal playing field and managed according to regulations. You cannot throw a ball at a fan and get pissed because he threw it back. If what he said was that offensive then just let someone give him a warning and then if he persists throw him out. I think by throwing the ball he acted childishly and used his power to waste some guys money.

The NBA should definitely reimburse that guy, in my opinion using a fine against the ref to do it.

DMasta718
05-19-2010, 02:16 PM
I would've kept the ball.

junion
05-19-2010, 05:56 PM
out of everyone in the whole building, the refs should be the ones that keep their cool all the time. they can't go punish players, fans, coaches, etc for losing their cool, and just turn their head when a ref loses his cool!

if it's a big deal, suspend the ref without pay for a game or two.

if it's not a big deal, then the fan (who is ceo of wyndham), should not be tossed or fined, or anything.

Kakaroach
05-19-2010, 07:19 PM
This really was a weird situation. But if your the ref you gotta keep your cool, I mean its a fan.

Cromedome
05-19-2010, 08:12 PM
I just saw this on epsn. Wow! The guy is passionate about his team so he calls out the ref for being blind ...and the ref throws the ball towards his head?

IF THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN ME..I would have thrown the ball back at him, jumped over the score table and proceed to knock this joker OUT!

You don't throw a ball at someone like that..and the fan would have had EVERY RIGHT to fight the ref.

ko8e24
05-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Maybe he was giving the ball to him as a gift and was so shocked he gave it back....

Yup that's exactly what happened! :laugh:

blams
05-19-2010, 08:32 PM
The Fan was clearly heckling the ref, and the ref said that he could ref the game and do better. The fan is an idiot, the ref did nothing wrong, period.

Cromedome
05-19-2010, 08:47 PM
The Fan was clearly heckling the ref, and the ref said that he could ref the game and do better. The fan is an idiot, the ref did nothing wrong, period.

The ref threw the ball towards the guys' head...and he did nothing wrong? If the fan didn't catch the ball..it would have bounced off his face.

I'm talking trash to you and you throw a ball at my head? Ref or no ref..IT'S ON!

Montana_Rob
05-20-2010, 12:16 AM
wow way to set a good example for the players ref