PDA

View Full Version : Is This the Most Powerful Man in Sports?

phlp_bj
05-18-2010, 05:27 PM
In the NBA, all roads lead to one man, whom you’ve probably never heard of: William Wesley—a.k.a. Worldwide Wes—the most connected, most discreet, most influential man on and off the court

Auburn Hills, Michigan, November 2004. William Wesley, a middle-aged mortgage broker, runs onto the court to shield Ron Artest from a uniformed police officer wielding a can of pepper spray. Artest’s teammates are trading haymakers with fans; coaches and referees are struggling to restore order. The mortgage broker lunges forward and throws his hands in the cop’s face, and in the next instant, Pacers teammates Austin Croshere and Reggie Miller rush to restrain Artest. Through a tempest of tossed soda and popcorn, Wesley moves on to shepherding the Pacers’ Jermaine O’Neal on the court. Once in the tunnel, O’Neal breaks free, but Wesley wraps him in a bear hug and drags him to the locker room.

Two years later, when I ask Reggie Miller about Wesley’s presence on the court, he’ll say: “What the hell is he doing out there in the middle of all that? I mean, what is he doing? He has no business out there! He injects himself into the middle of everything!

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/200706/william-wesley-worldwide-wes-nba-basketball

old article, but i thought it was interesting. with all these lebron talks, we hear his name being thrown around. i honestly didn't know he existed. or i've seen him on the court during the pacers brawl, but i never knew who he was.

TheDetroitBlue
05-18-2010, 05:38 PM
I saw that on OTLFR he could be huge in the Lebron deal this summer

tredigs
05-18-2010, 06:46 PM
I vaguely remember reading this piece a couple years ago, it's an amazing story. If you read on to page 5 and correlate that with the success that Rose and Evans have had, it makes it all the more interesting.

I saw that on OTLFR he could be huge in the Lebron deal this summer

I don't doubt that one bit. He'll probably be one of the first to know where Lebron et al are going this summer, and will probably be one of the main choreographers in the deal.

Raoul Duke
05-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Yeah he's some super-secret behind-the-scenes guy that "looks out for players", and gives advice on everything from contracts to counseling. Supposedly he never asks players for money and nobody knows who is paying him.

I dunno man. Even if he's reportedly doing good things, that's pretty shady.