PDA

View Full Version : How Important is a Team's Bench in the Playoffs?

GSW Hoops
05-17-2010, 04:34 PM
In the regular season, a good bench is needed to give the starters a breather and contribute as a second unit. Thus, 9-12 guys may play each game, with a regular rotation set.

In the playoffs, though, where most teams have a shorter rotation, I think the most important part of having a good bench is match ups. Some players, like Shaquille O'Neal, won't play much in one series but will play 30+ minutes in the next series.

I think the team whose bench plays the best will probably win each of the Conference Finals series.

MTone8788
05-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Very important.

/thread

CowboysKB24
05-17-2010, 05:14 PM
In the regular season, a good bench is needed to give the starters a breather and contribute as a second unit. Thus, 9-12 guys may play each game, with a regular rotation set.

In the playoffs, though, where most teams have a shorter rotation, I think the most important part of having a good bench is match ups. Some players, like Shaquille O'Neal, won't play much in one series but will play 30+ minutes in the next series.

I think the team whose bench plays the best will probably win each of the Conference Finals series.

You must not know much about basketball or watch much of it.

superkegger
05-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Depends on the team.

Generally your top 8 guys are what matter come playoff team.

But there are exceptions. Like in the Orlando/Boston series. The Celtics are going to play 3 guys on Dwight, and their depth at Center (or whoever they play at C) is very important. (Not to say that who they play at the other positions is unimportant, but their C rotation is key). So really, like the playoffs in general, bench depth is dependant upon matchups.

GSW Hoops
05-17-2010, 05:18 PM
You must not know much about basketball or watch much of it.

Why, because I said the team whose bench performs the best will probably win each series?

If Phoenix's bench outperforms L.A., they have a good shot at winning.

If Boston's bench outperforms Orlando's, they have a great shot at winning.

Caps1989
05-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Its a huge importance. If they wern't there who would suck up and brown nose all the starters for making simple plays look difficult.

Lil Rhody
05-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Bench play is a big part in winning it all

ryder78c
05-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Shaq could play 20mins every game mike browns just a bad coach

but look at the playoff lineups it is very important season or playoffs but these lineups boston will most likely win it all if everyone performs suns could beat the lake show

Perkins Howard
Garnett Lewis
Pierce Barnes
Allen Carter
Rondo Nelson
Wallace pietrus
Davis
Robinson
Daniels
Allen

bynum Lopez
gasol Amar'e
Artest hill
Kobe richardson
Fisher Nash
Odom Frye
Farmar Barbosa

Kakaroach
05-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Not a very deep bench, but 2 or 3 guys that can come in and be impact players are very important in the playoffs. They keep the intensity, scoring, and defense up while giving your starters rest.

still1ballin
05-17-2010, 06:13 PM
very!

GSW Hoops
05-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Lakers probably have the worst bench of any remaining team. With that said, their starting 5 (6 if you count Odom) is great.

Raph12
05-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Very important, Boston's that lethal because they could afford to use fouls between their big men, they have Perk, Sheed, Davis, KG and Williams who they could throw at any big in the league, play them extremely physically, frustrate them and still afford to let them pick up fouls.

Bench play is huge between about the first 8-9 guys, you don't need much more than that really.

tdunk21
05-17-2010, 06:52 PM
uhhhh.....very important...my spurs struggled against the suns without good bench players.......

tdunk21
05-17-2010, 06:53 PM
i think celtics have the best bench players so far in the playoffs....

RadiantShot
05-17-2010, 06:54 PM
..Very..
That should be the end of it.

Iodine
05-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Case by case clearly. The opposite ends of the spectrum IMO are the Lakers and spurs
Spurs heavily relied on their Bench during the regular season, so if anything they needed the reserves even more in the playoffs, while the lakers only have one really good reserve, and other erratic ones so it doesnt really matter

leftymo
05-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Bench means essentially nothing. Because the starters log such heavy minutes in the playoffs, you really don't need a deep bench for the playoffs. The rotation shortens in the playoffs. The best example are the 2002 Lakers who had no bench and swept the Nets in the finals.

These current lakers don't have a bench and have made their third successive conference finals. The Celtics and Magic are great b/c of their starters. Not their bench.

RadiantShot
05-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Haha..Funny man above me. ;)

leftymo
05-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Haha..Funny man above me. ;)

truth hurts. nba fans put so much in a bench, when at most one player off the bench contributes.

8 man rotation in the playoffs of most good teams. Big Baby Davis and Sheed aren't the reason why the Celtics are so good.

I can't think of a bench player that won MVP of a finals.

I can't think of a team that won a playoff series strictly b/c they had a better bench.

The Suns have the better bench in this series, but most writers in LA think its going to take 5 games to dispatch the Suns? Why would they say that? Because the Lakers starters are far superior.

The Finals will come down to the matchups of the starters. Not the bench.

Orlando has the deepest team in the league, yet they were outscored in the eastern finals by a measly point. (meaning the bench had NOTHING to do with that game).

if you want to laugh, at least bring a tangible or plausible argument to the contrary supported by fact. at least you'd have a chance then. ;)

RadiantShot
05-17-2010, 07:41 PM
I still disagree. Bench plays a big role in deciding a series.

Tell me something. Starters out-score the other team's starters by 15.

The bench's come in, and the bench of the team that's down makes a run, and cuts it to within 5; What's to say they aren't a big part of the reason they aren't down 15, now?

;)

It's not a 5-Man game.
There are up to 15 people in a team for a reason.

leftymo
05-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Case by case clearly. The opposite ends of the spectrum IMO are the Lakers and spurs
Spurs heavily relied on their Bench during the regular season, so if anything they needed the reserves even more in the playoffs, while the lakers only have one really good reserve, and other erratic ones so it doesnt really matter

While I agree the Spurs relied on their bench, its clear Duncan, Parker, and Manu weren't good enough to beat the Suns. Yes Phx's bench outplayed the heavily relied upon bench for SA (but bench players are there for a reason. it's because they aren't good enough to start, sans Ginobli). Your best players play the bulk of the game, and SA's best players were not better than Phx's.

leftymo
05-17-2010, 07:46 PM
I still disagree. Bench plays a big role in deciding a series.

Tell me something. Starters out-score the other team's starters by 15.

The bench's come in, and the bench of the team that's down makes a run, and cuts it to within 5; What's to say they aren't a big part of the reason they aren't down 15, now?

;)

It's not a 5-Man game.
There are up to 15 people in a team for a reason.

If the bench had as much impact as you suggest, there would be no need for the starters to return. Especially if they cut the lead down to 5!

They are vastly over-rated and particularly by fans. Coaches, GM's know this. Fans think a deep bench gets you far. The deepest bench the Lakers have had in the last 20 years was a team that got swept and didn't even make the finals. The team that had Derek Fisher, Robert Horry, and Rick Fox coming off the bench! (that team had four guys go to the allstar game)

bench didn't mean squat come playoff time.

RadiantShot
05-17-2010, 08:02 PM
If you really think it doesn't mean "Squat," you haven't been watching Basketball correctly. It does make a difference, maybe not as big as everyone says, but it DEFINITELY makes a difference.

CowboysKB24
05-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Why, because I said the team whose bench performs the best will probably win each series?

If Phoenix's bench outperforms L.A., they have a good shot at winning.

If Boston's bench outperforms Orlando's, they have a great shot at winning.

Lakers bench hasn't played that well all playoffs. They have been winning. I am hoping the bench picks it up now and in the finals (Assuming they make it,I think they are going to take the Suns out in 5 games. 6 at most.) Bench play is really important, that is a huge part of a team. Lakers biggest problem right now is Bynum. If the Lakers play the Celtics in the finals, I don't think they can get through them without him.

Toenail Clipper
05-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Not that important.

MrFastBreak
05-17-2010, 09:36 PM
It's essential to a team's success to a certain extent. The Cavs' bench got outplayed, but still had many other faults. The Suns prolly have a better bench than the Lakers and what do you think their chances of winning are?

tdunk21
05-17-2010, 11:18 PM
While I agree the Spurs relied on their bench, its clear Duncan, Parker, and Manu weren't good enough to beat the Suns. Yes Phx's bench outplayed the heavily relied upon bench for SA (but bench players are there for a reason. it's because they aren't good enough to start, sans Ginobli). Your best players play the bulk of the game, and SA's best players were not better than Phx's.

dude...u r makin urself look like a clown with ur lame explanations.....

RaiderLakersA's
05-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Its a huge importance. If they wern't there who would suck up and brown nose all the starters for making simple plays look difficult.

In the playoffs, the starter minutes go up, the rotations decrease, and the only way your bench really matters is if your starters aren't getting the job done or you have a special niche player coming off the bench who poses match-up problems for your opponent.

For the most part, if you're hanging your hat on winning a conference championship or an NBA title based on bench play, you've already lost before the opening tip-off.

ManRam
05-18-2010, 12:35 PM
I started typing up my response to this yesterday, but didn't ever finish it. I'm sure I'm regurgitating stuff now.

Basically, a deep bench in the playoffs isn't always a luxury and certainly isn't a necessity. Every team has at least 2-3 players coming off the bench that are as good most every other teams first 2-3 guys off the bench. The Lakers got knocked all year for having a weak bench, but in reality, it is a great bench but it just isn't deep. In the playoffs, especially when you have guys who can play 2 or even 3 positions, a deep bench isn't needed. The Laker have heavily concentrated talent (AKA, little depth), which is probably more of an asset than anything in the playoffs. Kobe, Fish and Pau can play 40 minutes. That leaves about 120 minutes for 4 or 5 guys to eat up, which is definitely doable, and definitely keeps the amount of talent on the court as high as possible.

Most teams have knocked their benches down in size in the playoffs. The Magic are playing 4 guys instead of 5-6. LA is really only playing 2 guys at a time, instead of 4-5. Boston is playing 3 guys instead if 5-6. And Phoenix is still using 5 guys. They might be deep, but their depth, when on the court opposing only 2 bench players, is just outmatched.

The Magic bench probably won us a large amount of games this year, but in the playoffs, it's rarely going to be the difference maker in all honesty. Starters play more, the benches thin out and the impact overall lessens. A deep bench might not even be an asset at all in a 7 game series. It might give you 5-10 good minutes, or keep a lead, or go on a tiny run, but it isn't going to win a ton of games.

If Odom keeps playing like he did yesterday, even though the Laker bench really is only at 2 people right now, it might be the most productive one in the playoffs, just because there is never really a scrub on the court at any time.

Sadds The Gr8
05-18-2010, 12:57 PM
It helps if you have a good/deep bench (like Boston in 08 with Posey, PJ, House, Powe, etc...) but you can succeed with only 1 or 2 good bench players. (like LA with Odom.)

magichatnumber9
05-18-2010, 01:19 PM
You must not know much about basketball or watch much of it.What are talking about? How is that a relevant answer to the thread? Do just have that ready on the copy and paste.

Raidaz4Life
05-18-2010, 02:46 PM
I think the bench is pretty overrated.

heathonater
05-18-2010, 02:56 PM
you dont necessarily need a 10 man deep rotation in the playoffs, but you do need at least one guy off the bench that can get boards or put up points quickly.

Kevj77
05-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Lakers probably have the worst bench of any remaining team. With that said, their starting 5 (6 if you count Odom) is great.Phil has gone down to a eight man rotation. The only bench players to get real minutes are Odom who is like a starter, brown and farmar. If they win it won't be because of their bench it will be because of their starting 5 and 6th man LO.

nbafan63
05-18-2010, 04:37 PM
If you really think it doesn't mean "Squat," you haven't been watching Basketball correctly. It does make a difference, maybe not as big as everyone says, but it DEFINITELY makes a difference.

Most teams play 8 man rotation in the Playoffs. So when you say a "deep" bench, how deep are you refering? Celtics is basically playing 8 players right now as well. And I would really only consider 6 of those players being really important. Tony allen is playing amazing, but you can find tony allens anywhere. Big baby is playing well, but he can be replaced as well.