PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson's Comments on Arizona Immigration Law Stirs Rally Outside Staples Center

ko8e24
05-17-2010, 03:57 PM
http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/5195537

Activists planned to gather outside Staples Center Monday before Game 1 of the Western Conference finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and Phoenix Suns to demonstrate against comments Phil Jackson made about Arizona's controversial immigration law.

In comments made to ESPN.com's J.A. Adande on May 4 about state Senate Bill 1070, Jackson said, "Am I crazy, or am I the only one that heard [the legislature] say 'we just took the United States immigration law and adapted it to our state.'"

The Suns drew national attention May 5 for wearing jerseys that read "Los Suns" in Game 2 of their playoff series with the San Antonio Spurs. Suns players and owner Robert Sarver have spoken out against the bill.

"I don't think teams should get involved in the political stuff," Jackson told Adande. "And I think this one's still kind of coming out to balance as to how it's going to be favorably looked upon by our public. If I heard it right the American people are really for stronger immigration laws, if I'm not mistaken. Where we stand as basketball teams, we should let that kind of play out and let the political end of that go where it's going to go."

Rally organizer Mario Gonzalez told the Los Angeles Times: "The way we look at it, Phil Jackson is supporting the Arizona law. That's surprising. It caught us off guard. We want to find out where the team stands on the law."

The law makes it a misdemeanor for immigrants to be in Arizona without proper documents and allows police officers to request proof of status if there is a "reasonable suspicion" that the person is in the country illegally.

In a statement released by the Lakers on Monday, Jackson said, "I have respect for those who oppose the new Arizona immigration law, but I am wary of putting entire sports organizations in the middle of political controversies. This was the message of my statement. I know others feel differently, even in the Lakers organization, but it was a personal statement. In this regard, it is my wish that this statement not be used by either side to rally activists."

DerekRE_3
05-17-2010, 03:59 PM
How is saying that the NBA shouldn't get involved supporting it? And according to polls taken the majority of americans do support the new law, so he's really just stating a fact. Those rally people are idiots.

ko8e24
05-17-2010, 04:01 PM
How is saying that the NBA shouldn't get involved supporting it? And according to polls taken the majority of americans do support the new law, so he's really just stating a fact. Those rally people are idiots.

Just imagine all the rallies outside of the hotel building where the Lakers will be staying at in Arizona when they have road games against the Suns in Phoenix. :pity:

Draco
05-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Rally organizer Mario Gonzalez told the Los Angeles Times: "The way we look at it, Phil Jackson is supporting the Arizona law. That's surprising. It caught us off guard. We want to find out where the team stands on the law."

Because if you're not with us, you're against us.. even though it's not your business.

GSW Hoops
05-17-2010, 04:04 PM
I agree that sports and politics don't mix. Leave political analysis to CNN. With that said, Jackson shouldn't even have commented on it. Doing so just undermines his whole argument.

xBLAMEITON24x
05-17-2010, 04:07 PM

Let me get this right their protesting to see where the Lakers team stand on the immigration law. This why sports and politics shouldn't be mixed, the NBA and it's players are paid to play basketball not involve themselves in political issues.

ko8e24
05-17-2010, 04:12 PM
I think Steve Kerr called the Arizona immigration law and the legislature involved in all of this as "Nazis". Kerr just took it to a whole new level. I too thought that it was not the right way to go about it with the whole LOS SUNS thing during the playoffs. What if some of the fans in that building actually agree with that law? Are you totally ignoring their views by promoting such propaganda and selling all those jerseys and slogans and whatnot.

Kerr and the rest of the Suns organization involved the NBA into this whole political issue, and Phil Jackson is simply stating that it's not right to do so. Hell, Kerr played for Phil and won 3 titles, but still, Phil is speaking out that what Kerr (and the rest of Suns organization as well as the NBA) has done with this whole getting themselves involved in political issues is not a smart thing. Phil is willing to go against one of his former players and anyone part of the NBA who has gotten themselves involved in this whole thing. And now these 2 cent illiterate activisits are taking undue advantage of Phil's comments and are basically gonna **** up these great Western Conference Finals.

RipVW
05-17-2010, 04:14 PM
I agree that sports and politics don't mix. Leave political analysis to CNN. With that said, Jackson shouldn't even have commented on it. Doing so just undermines his whole argument.

Phil didnt do anything wrong.

ko8e24
05-17-2010, 04:15 PM

Thank you!

DerekRE_3
Should we also allow cops to search black ppl's homes and cars to dicrease crime?

That has nothing to do with what I said. To criticize someone for saying the NBA should stay out of politics is ********.

fairandbalanced
Phil Jackson talks too much, he did not need to bring politics into this..........he could have avoided the question but he always have an opinion on everything.

Gibby23

Phil didn't pick a side, he said the right thing.

RipVW
Should we also allow cops to search black ppl's homes and cars to dicrease crime?

What does that have to do with what he said?

Gibby23
05-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Phil Jackson talks too much, he did not need to bring politics into this..........he could have avoided the question but he always have an opinion on everything.

Politics into what? He was asked about the Suns wearing the Los Suns jerseys, they are toe ones who mixed politics into sports and Jackson was asked about it because that is the next team the Lakers play.

goshhhjosh
05-17-2010, 04:17 PM
I am usually not a Phil Jackson fan/supporter/whatever but I do agree with him here. His statements were actually fairly professional and weren't meant to stir up anything. He stated he did not want his comments to be used be either side as well. Why should this cause a rally? The protesters are fairly ignorant to what he really said - sports teams shouldn't be put in the middle of the debate (which I believe is true.) He did not say he supported or disagreed with the law. Mario Gonzalez you are an idiot - he didn't say anything harmful and definitely didn't say anything to harm the Lakers franchise.

He was stating a fact - yes, there are polls that state most Americans want tougher immigration laws. God forbid a state come up with a law to protect itself - after all they have had illegals come in and kill a couple of their citizens. What's so harmful about declaring that it's illegal to be in the state of Arizona illegally? And if a cop or lawman suspects that someone may be an illegal is it really harmful to ask for documentation? What a watered-down and wussified country we've become.

fairandbalanced
05-17-2010, 04:19 PM

Justin Bieber, shouldn't you be on twitter? Most Americans also supported segregation, jim crow laws, no vote for blacks..........if we're to go by polls we might as well call "tyranny of a majority" a myth.

RipVW
05-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Actually when guys like the one leading this rally unfairly attribute positions to people that they havent taken simply because, it really makes me completely unsympathetic to their cause. Its one thing if they feel strongly about this. I can respect that. But theyre kind of bullying people with this, youre either with us or against us nonsense.

masalex1205
05-17-2010, 04:24 PM
As much as I hate the Lakers, Phil didn't even take a stance. Those protestors are idiots and this is a nonissue

SteveNash
05-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Phil's a hypocrite. Remember when the Lakers played the first game back in New Orleans after Katrina and he was joking about them draining the mud from the building? Real classless guy.

Shady66
05-17-2010, 04:28 PM
I think Steve Kerr called the Arizona immigration law and the legislature involved in all of this as "Nazis". Kerr just took it to a whole new level. I too thought that it was not the right way to go about it with the whole LOS SUNS thing during the playoffs. What if some of the fans in that building actually agree with that law? Are you totally ignoring their views by promoting such propaganda and selling all those jerseys and slogans and whatnot.

Kerr and the rest of the Suns organization involved the NBA into this whole political issue, and Phil Jackson is simply stating that it's not right to do so. Hell, Kerr played for Phil and won 3 titles, but still, Phil is speaking out that what Kerr (and the rest of Suns organization as well as the NBA) has done with this whole getting themselves involved in political issues is not a smart thing. Phil is willing to go against one of his former players and anyone part of the NBA who has gotten themselves involved in this whole thing. And now these 2 cent illiterate activisits are taking undue advantage of Phil's comments and are basically gonna **** up these great Western Conference Finals.

They wore the Los Suns jerseys because it was Cinco De Mayo

fairandbalanced
05-17-2010, 04:28 PM
As much as I hate the Lakers, Phil didn't even take a stance. Those protestors are idiots and this is a nonissue

"If I heard it right the American people are really for stronger immigration laws, if I'm not mistaken"

Bringing the American people into it basically reinforces a opinion. You can act naive as if he didn't take a stance but he wouldn't start reading polls for something he does not support.

Iodine
05-17-2010, 04:32 PM
First of all, does anyone who knows how much of a peace and love hippy jackson is actually think he is in favor of the law lol?

Second of all he's right for the most part, I agree that most of the time sports should stay away from politics, unless the overwhelming majority of the people in the sport both players and management are willing to take a stand

ko8e24
They wore the Los Suns jerseys because it was Cinco De Mayo

True, but the way they were promoting it and all the issues and propaganda going along with it was mostly targeted at that law. And the fact that Kerr called the legislators "Nazis" and how he wanted the whole LOS SUNS slogan on Cinco de Mayo day to represent is how the NBA got involved in all these politics.

Jahari Kavi
If you don't think politics shouldn't be mixed with sports then never mention Jim Brown, Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Jackie Robinson or Muhammad Ali from your lips again...politics "always" mix with sports, because politics is about power and in it is deeply embedded into every fabric of our society....even the sports.

Jahari Kavi
05-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Phil's a hypocrite. Remember when the Lakers played the first game back in New Orleans after Katrina and he was joking about them draining the mud from the building? Real classless guy.

Phil has said a lot of questionable things in the past when it comes to race and social issues.....he's always been suspect to me.

ko8e24
05-17-2010, 04:34 PM

What does the tragedy in Katrina have anything to do with the controversy of the immigration law in Arizona. :confused:

I don't think you read the article correctly. But I can understand Mr. Nash, it's hard to read something with one eye shut. ;)

DerekRE_3
05-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Justin Bieber, shouldn't you be on twitter? Most Americans also supported segregation, jim crow laws, no vote for blacks..........if we're to go by polls we might as well call "tyranny of a majority" a myth.

:laugh2: All I said was that Phil Jackson stated a fact. He also said that the NBA should stay out of politics. The fact is that the majority of Americans do support that law. Did I ever say that it was justified that they think that? No. I, just like Phil Jackson did, stated a fact. Why should Phil Jackson's statement incite any kind of controversy? He didn't even say his own view on the subject.

Jahari Kavi
05-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Phil wouldn't have 10 rings if it weren't for politics mixing with sports.....MJ, Pippen, Rodman, Shaq, and Kobe play because of the Jim Brown's, Jackie Robinson's, and Muhammad Ali's who paved the way for them.....get the F outta here.

DerekRE_3
05-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Phil wouldn't have 10 rings if it weren't for politics mixing with sports.....MJ, Pippen, Rodman, Shaq, and Kobe play because of the Jim Brown's, Jackie Robinson's, and Muhammad Ali's who paved the way for them.....get the F outta here.

To compare the civil rights movement to what's happening in Arizona is a joke.

Jahari Kavi
05-17-2010, 04:41 PM
:laugh2: All I said was that Phil Jackson stated a fact. He also said that the NBA should stay out of politics. The fact is that the majority of Americans do support that law. Did I ever say that it was justified that they think that? No. I, just like Phil Jackson did, stated a fact. Why should Phil Jackson's statement incite any kind of controversy? He didn't even say his own view on the subject.

majority of americans have always supported a lot of "questionable" things....doesn't mean people don't have the right to speak out against them.

Jahari Kavi
05-17-2010, 04:42 PM

civil rights was about politics...no sir, it is not a joke. Phil said teams should stay out of politics....

SteveNash
05-17-2010, 04:43 PM
What does the tragedy in Katrina have anything to do with the controversy of the immigration law in Arizona. :confused:

I don't think you read the article correctly. But I can understand Mr. Nash, it's hard to read something with one eye shut. ;)

Phil's message was basically that sports should stay out of controversial issues.

Total BS by him.

Likely just one of his "mind games" but it's pathetic.

DerekRE_3
05-17-2010, 04:44 PM
civil rights was about politics...no sir, it is not a joke. Phil said teams should stay out of politics....

Right, and they should.

203 Uconn LaL
05-17-2010, 04:44 PM
This is just pathetic,these activists are taking any piece of attention they can get. Phil didn't say nothing wrong,yet they make into this if your not with us your against us type of thing. Like no one can be in the middle. I hope the lakers sweep them just for this.

Jahari Kavi
05-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Right, and they should.

if you believe that then you should never cheer for another black athlete in your life, because that would make you a hypocrite........sometimes I think a lot of fans have amnesia when it comes to race, class, sex, politics, and power in the sports world..........

Jahari Kavi
05-17-2010, 04:48 PM
anyone who supports this law supports racial profiling.

Gibby23
05-17-2010, 04:54 PM
I support it.

magichatnumber9
05-17-2010, 04:55 PM
I'm with Phil Jackson when you talk publicly about politics you are always taking one side. And politics is usually a two sided coin. u do the math

Hawkeye15
05-17-2010, 04:56 PM
politics and sports don't mix.

michelangelo
05-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Phil Jackson is a manipulative bastard. He stirs the pot with every star player and every organization he faces in the playoffs. It disturbs their emotional equlibrium and more often than not, the strategy works. Having the likes of a prime Jordan and Pippen and Kobe and Shaq doesn't hurt, either.

I really don't understand why teams and players fall for this trick year after year. They must have big egos. You think? :facepalm::facepalm:

edit: he's even gotten this board stirred up. Wake up guys!

IAmKira
05-17-2010, 04:58 PM
i actually wrote a paper on this for political science. lol
people bish about how this immigration law is racial profiling but they fail to understand the sheit arizona go through. all police ask is ur green card to show proof. How fhking hard is that? its same as being pulled over and showing ur driver's license.

974life
05-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Seems like its out of context.

PHX2daDEATH
05-17-2010, 05:00 PM
This law isnt going to stop people from getting killed by illegal aliens and i hate when people say that its going to cut crime. it does nothing to keep people from coming in to the united states illegally.

I think athletes should speak up more for what they believe in.. and i feel like they dont do it often enough. My biggest qualm about Jordan was that he never spoke up about issues dealing with African Americans.. if we seperate sports and politics you throw out everything Ali did in his time and what made him great. You forget athletes are people too they arent just here for our entertainment.. They have a platform that most average people don't have and they should use it more often.

The Ooh Child
Phil's comment was politically correct. The rally organizer is getting all pissed, because Phil isn't publically supporting his cause, and he is trying to scew the meaning of Phil's words to create controversy. I don't wholeheartedly agree with the immigration law, but this rally organizer is kind of a dick.

Jahari Kavi
Craig Hodges callin out President Bush to his face = politics and sports

Hakeem Olajuwon criticizing Air Jordan shoes, because of sweatshop issues and overpricing to young kids = politics and sports

Steve Nash criticizing the war in Iraq = politics and sports

The NBA telling athletes to hush up about China and Sudan during the Olympics = politics and sports

Athletes and organizations have the "right" to speak on political subject matter that goes beyond cheesy ***** "NBA cares" commercials.

IAmKira
05-17-2010, 05:02 PM
This law isnt going to stop people from getting killed by illegal aliens and i hate when people say that its going to cut crime. it does nothing to keep people from coming in to the united states illegally.

I think athletes should speak up more for what they believe in.. and i feel like they dont do it often enough. My biggest qualm about Jordan was that he never spoke up about issues dealing with African Americans.. if we seperate sports and politics you throw out everything Ali did in his time and what made him great. You forget athletes are people too they arent just here for our entertainment.. They have a platform that most average people don't have and they should use it more often.

well aleast they are doin something right? Much of it can be blamed at federal gov't, Cough* Bush* Cough*. Obama gotta step his game up. :cool:

magichatnumber9
05-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Phil wouldn't have 10 rings if it weren't for politics mixing with sports.....MJ, Pippen, Rodman, Shaq, and Kobe play because of the Jim Brown's, Jackie Robinson's, and Muhammad Ali's who paved the way for them.....get the F outta here.First off were talking about Basketball, and you need to give credit where credit is due, those basketball players you mentioned above are playing because of Wilt and Bill and Chuck Cooper. With the Boston Celtics drafting the first African American Basketball player. Basketball was one of the last sports to integrate there professional ranks.

Ray_R
05-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Phil Jackson is a NAZI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

magichatnumber9
05-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Craig Hodges callin out President Bush to his face = politics and sports

Hakeem Olajuwon criticizing Air Jordan shoes, because of sweatshop issues and overpricing to young kids = politics and sports

Steve Nash criticizing the war in Iraq = politics and sports

The NBA telling athletes to hush up about China and Sudan during the Olympics = politics and sports

Athletes and organizations have the "right" to speak on political subject matter that goes beyond cheesy ***** "NBA cares" commercials.
Well put.

magichatnumber9
05-17-2010, 05:08 PM
I think Phil's right to remain neutral should be respected. Regardless of the animosity you have towards the Lakers kicking your teams ***.

gcoll
05-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Phil Jackson didn't say anything wrong.

Protesters just like trying to get attention for themselves.

CowboysKB24
05-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Who cares

CowboysKB24
05-17-2010, 05:16 PM
I think Phil's right to remain neutral should be respected. Regardless of the animosity you have towards the Lakers kicking your teams ***.

Shut up loser.

jetsforever
05-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Seems like another overblown issue...

PHX2daDEATH
05-17-2010, 05:19 PM
well aleast they are doin something right? Much of it can be blamed at federal gov't, Cough* Bush* Cough*. Obama gotta step his game up. :cool:

yeah it is the federal governments fault in more ways then one, they've allowed the cheap labor, the refusal to put up a fence, its almost impossible for the people who want to be here legally to get citizenship,

Caps1989
05-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Yes, they want to protest at the Staples Center because the Lakers dont have a side with the Arizona Immigration law. Thats wierd, when was the Staples Center ever part of Arizona. Maybe it would make more sense to protest in the state of Arizona, not the states around it. It would be pretty funny if it wasnt actually so sad. Politics will doom us all.

What they need to do is make a big wall, sorta like the walls leading into Mordor. Next build 3 moats and fill 1 with acid, 1 with lava, and 1 with sharks and make those moats about 300 feet wide and 1000 feet deep. Next they need to build sniper towers every 50 feet along the wall with ten snipers each. After that create another wall 1 mile behind the first wall and cover the entire zone between the two walls with a variety of land mines, spikes, and kittens. After all of this has been done they need to contract 15 dragons to patrol the airways around the border in order to make sure no one tries anything foolish. So to recap, they need 1 wall that looks like the gate leading into Mordor and has three moats filled with acid, lava, and sharks. Followed by a 1 mile no mans land filled with spikes and land mines between the last wall that has 15 dragons partolling. But before i forget, they also should contract an army of giant moles to inhabit underground passageways because people are bound to try to dig under it. These giant moles come with laser guns and feel no pity or remorse for intruders.

DerekRE_3
05-17-2010, 05:51 PM
if you believe that then you should never cheer for another black athlete in your life, because that would make you a hypocrite........sometimes I think a lot of fans have amnesia when it comes to race, class, sex, politics, and power in the sports world..........

anyone who supports this law supports racial profiling.

:laugh2:

CLASSOF72
05-17-2010, 05:51 PM
I support PJ, he's right those are the facts. Not evryone is going to agree on what steps to take, but something needs to be done and like or not the laws are the laws until they are changed. Harassing people for not sharing your views is tyrantical.

rasajr23
05-17-2010, 06:00 PM
As a latino American living in Phoenix Arizona I am all for this bill. I am all for us tightening up our borders and not allowing illegals to come through so easily. Now most of you assume right off the bat Im talking about Mexicans... There are Chinese, Russian, and the list goes on of different nationalities that come through illegaly. The only Issue I have with the bill is that not every police officer is going to abide by the rules set forth by the bill and that is where racial profiling begins.

Then I ask myself as a resident of California for over 30 years racial profiling amongst black and hispanics has gone on for years and years just that it has been under the radar. I guess what Im trying to say that no matter what there are bad apples in the department of every state. Racial profiling will always be apart of our lives when you have bad cops on payroll.

I have been to some of these protests and have interviewed a few of the protestors and guess what? Most of these people are not even sure what SB stands for in SB1070(State Bill)... Some of these people go out and think Equal Rights is spelled "EQWUAL WRITES"... Some of these people wanted Arizona Ice tea drinks to be pulled off the shelves but once they found out it was a New York based company they withdrew the request.

Im tired of seeing stupid people in every race get involved with this bill. There is a very good chance it wont pass even though it was voted in by the majority of Arizonians. This bill was created so that the Federal Government will be forced to act on what Arizona has been asking for quite some time. Phil Jackson is very smart and was right to say what he did. For some of you to want these big name players to get involved and speak there mind are just stupid. Your not in there shoes but you want them to speak out for you is that it?

This is a business... If your a business owner like I am you know that speaking your mind verbally about religion, politics, etc can cause you to lose out on future customers buying your product or future signing of deals. I use this forum to vent but you will never see me speak out unless I am around my own family that knows where I am coming from. I was involved in a head on collision with an illegal. This person was driving a stolen car and slammed head first into my car. My face was burned by the airbag and my back has never been the same since. I am all about tightening our borders but I am also for keeping politics/religion out of sports

plpfctn
05-17-2010, 06:13 PM
shocked that Jax would support this b/c he's very liberal. i just hope we can keep this situation and sports separated. maybe the lakers can wear their "los lakers" jersey to support the countless hispanic Lakers fans. i went to the championship parade last year and i swear to god 75% of the 200K people were mexican.

Kakaroach
05-17-2010, 06:26 PM
I don't agree with most of you, why not have sports and politics mix? Does Jackie Robinson ring a bell?

Anyway, this could just be another ploy on Phil's part to get the Suns riled up, who knows.

rasajr23
05-17-2010, 06:28 PM
shocked that Jax would support this b/c he's very liberal. i just hope we can keep this situation and sports separated. maybe the lakers can wear their "los lakers" jersey to support the countless hispanic Lakers fans. i went to the championship parade last year and i swear to god 75% of the 200K people were mexican.

Should I take offense to your comment? Did you ask each individual person if they were Mexican? Or do you think some of them were Salvadorian, Peruvian, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Nicaraguan, Dominican, Chilean, Costa Rican, etc? See Im just f'n with you but see where this does not belong on the forum. I can take what you say as racial because you grouped all latin people in as Mexicans...

rasajr23
05-17-2010, 06:31 PM
I don't agree with most of you, why not have sports and politics mix? Does Jackie Robinson ring a bell?

Anyway, this could just be another ploy on Phil's part to get the Suns riled up, who knows.

Cmon bro I have already explained it... its about the all mighty dollar. You speak up you lose money... In the Jackie Robinson days it wasnt the same. You played the sport to win... Now its all about the money... Its a business...

CLASSOF72
05-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Cmon bro I have already explained it... its about the all mighty dollar. You speak up you lose money... In the Jackie Robinson days it wasnt the same. You played the sport to win... Now its all about the money... Its a business...

Your right.

CLASSOF72
05-17-2010, 07:22 PM
[/B]

Should I take offense to your comment? Did you ask each individual person if they were Mexican? Or do you think some of them were Salvadorian, Peruvian, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Nicaraguan, Dominican, Chilean, Costa Rican, etc? See Im just f'n with you but see where this does not belong on the forum. I can take what you say as racial because you grouped all latin people in as Mexicans...

Very good analysis and point.

CLASSOF72
05-17-2010, 07:30 PM
As a latino American living in Phoenix Arizona I am all for this bill. I am all for us tightening up our borders and not allowing illegals to come through so easily. Now most of you assume right off the bat Im talking about Mexicans... There are Chinese, Russian, and the list goes on of different nationalities that come through illegaly. The only Issue I have with the bill is that not every police officer is going to abide by the rules set forth by the bill and that is where racial profiling begins.

Then I ask myself as a resident of California for over 30 years racial profiling amongst black and hispanics has gone on for years and years just that it has been under the radar. I guess what Im trying to say that no matter what there are bad apples in the department of every state. Racial profiling will always be apart of our lives when you have bad cops on payroll.

I have been to some of these protests and have interviewed a few of the protestors and guess what? Most of these people are not even sure what SB stands for in SB1070(State Bill)... Some of these people go out and think Equal Rights is spelled "EQWUAL WRITES"... Some of these people wanted Arizona Ice tea drinks to be pulled off the shelves but once they found out it was a New York based company they withdrew the request.

Im tired of seeing stupid people in every race get involved with this bill. There is a very good chance it wont pass even though it was voted in by the majority of Arizonians. This bill was created so that the Federal Government will be forced to act on what Arizona has been asking for quite some time. Phil Jackson is very smart and was right to say what he did. For some of you to want these big name players to get involved and speak there mind are just stupid. Your not in there shoes but you want them to speak out for you is that it?

This is a business... If your a business owner like I am you know that speaking your mind verbally about religion, politics, etc can cause you to lose out on future customers buying your product or future signing of deals. I use this forum to vent but you will never see me speak out unless I am around my own family that knows where I am coming from. I was involved in a head on collision with an illegal. This person was driving a stolen car and slammed head first into my car. My face was burned by the airbag and my back has never been the same since. I am all about tightening our borders but I am also for keeping politics/religion out of sports

Thanks for speaking up. I know a lot of people who share your opinion, perspective and expierience. This is not a race issue, it's a legal one and that's it. Your right about the business end of it too.

plpfctn
05-17-2010, 07:53 PM
[/B]

actually, another 10 percent, i think, were non mexican hispanics. btw, most people don't find that offensive.

Raidaz4Life
05-17-2010, 08:08 PM
The ignorance in this thread, the suns organization, and outside of staples center is intolerable. No offense to all of you in here that actually are smart enough to acknowledge that Phil wasn't taking any sort of a hard stance on the issue and only saying it has no place in the NBA.

b0nk
05-17-2010, 08:17 PM
no free tacos for protesters

CLASSOF72
05-17-2010, 08:23 PM
no free tacos for protesters

:clap:

SAM I AM
05-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Phil did nothing wrong! this is just another Democratic/ Anti-Tea Part "race" bating out burst, they need to get over this! i am sick of the dang Race Card!!!! the offended are useing the Race Card way to much. its sicking

Atticus Finch
05-17-2010, 08:50 PM

The case with Robinson is different. The politics of racial segregation were already ingrained in baseball, that's why they had the negro leagues. This illegal immigration issue is completely separated from basketball, so there's no reason for any franchise to get involved. Otherwise where do you draw the line? Should the Lakers or any other team start protesting abortions, the Catholic church scandals, and gay marriages too? All of those issues were just as hot at one time or another, nobody was crying for the Yankees to come out and make a stance. Bottom line is from a business perspective you don't want to alienate half of your fan base by making a strong political stance, and you don't want to alienate your entire fan base by inundating them with head up your @$$ political messages.

smith&wesson
05-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Not cool phil, not cool at all. one day when phils on the rd id like to see a cop ask him for documentation that he is allowed to be in the country legally and if he doesnt have his citizenship card on him, i hope he goes to a holding cell... then he will understand this law. what an insensitive goof. ppl who dont endure the pain dont know the pain.

Raidaz4Life
05-17-2010, 08:54 PM
The case with Robinson is different. The politics of racial segregation were already ingrained in baseball, that's why they had the negro leagues. This illegal immigration issue is completely separated from basketball, so there's no reason for any franchise to get involved. Otherwise where do you draw the line? Should the Lakers or any other team start protesting abortions, the Catholic church scandals, and gay marriages too? All of those issues were just as hot at one time or another, nobody was crying for the Yankees to come out and make a stance. Bottom line is from a business perspective you don't want to alienate half of your fan base by making a strong political stance, and you don't want to alienate your entire fan base by inundating them with head up your @$$ political messages.

Beautifully stated

handbanana55
05-17-2010, 08:55 PM
I am usually not a Phil Jackson fan/supporter/whatever but I do agree with him here. His statements were actually fairly professional and weren't meant to stir up anything. He stated he did not want his comments to be used be either side as well. Why should this cause a rally? The protesters are fairly ignorant to what he really said - sports teams shouldn't be put in the middle of the debate (which I believe is true.) He did not say he supported or disagreed with the law. Mario Gonzalez you are an idiot - he didn't say anything harmful and definitely didn't say anything to harm the Lakers franchise.

He was stating a fact - yes, there are polls that state most Americans want tougher immigration laws. God forbid a state come up with a law to protect itself - after all they have had illegals come in and kill a couple of their citizens. What's so harmful about declaring that it's illegal to be in the state of Arizona illegally? And if a cop or lawman suspects that someone may be an illegal is it really harmful to ask for documentation? What a watered-down and wussified country we've become.

wow bro you pretty much took the words outta my mouth:clap::clap::clap: GO Lakers

DerekRE_3
05-17-2010, 08:58 PM

Thank you, absolutely beautiful. :clap:

fairandbalanced
05-17-2010, 10:00 PM

Those things you mentioned does not divide people along racial lines, the Arizona law does.

Atticus Finch
05-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Those things you mentioned does not divide people along racial lines, the Arizona law does.

So "racial" discrimination is more important? What about discrimination against homosexuals? What about the belief that many people have that abortion is murder? Just because it isn't racial that doesn't mean people aren't affected by it every day. Nobody has had their rights taken away with this law. Legal immigrants have always been required to show a green card (or "documents" as fear mongers would have you believe) and everyone who drives a car is required to carry a driver's license.

Phil said the right thing, he stayed out of the issue itself. He's not a politician, and he's not in a position where his opinion carries any more weight. He's a basketball coach in the middle of the playoffs on a premier team with high expectations, I'm sure he has a lot more to worry about than sharing his opinion on immigration reform in another state.

Brew Crew
05-17-2010, 10:26 PM
The United States of America: Where doing the right thing is slowly becoming the "wrong" thing...and this goes hand in hand with..American Liberals: We will *****, whine, and say you are wrong if you don't agree with us...

**** this country.

DerekRE_3
05-17-2010, 10:28 PM
So "racial" discrimination is more important? What about discrimination against homosexuals? What about the belief that many people have that abortion is murder? Just because it isn't racial that doesn't mean people aren't affected by it every day. Nobody has had their rights taken away with this law. Legal immigrants have always been required to show a green card (or "documents" as fear mongers would have you believe) and everyone who drives a car is required to carry a driver's license.

Phil said the right thing, he stayed out of the issue itself. He's not a politician, and he's not in a position where his opinion carries any more weight. He's a basketball coach in the middle of the playoffs on a premier team with high expectations, I'm sure he has a lot more to worry about than sharing his opinion on immigration reform in another state.

Once again...:clap:

The people that are assuming that Phil is for this/against this/took a stance need reading comprehension lessons. There is nothing controversial about what he said.

RaysFan
05-17-2010, 10:31 PM
If you are legal then you are welcome. If you are not legal, and asked to show your papers, get out. Period. Why is it so hard for people to understand?

Apophis
05-17-2010, 11:15 PM

You do know that what is happening in Arizona , IS a Civil rights issue...

CLASSOF72
05-17-2010, 11:41 PM

:laugh2:

fairandbalanced
05-18-2010, 12:02 AM

Yes it is, and you must be a White American to be asking that question. You're so naive, it's unbelievable. Abortion and homosexuality is what every community, race, gender equally have to deal with, racism is what a minority of people have to protest against. The Arizona law was a reaction against Mexicans working for cheap and coming to have a better life in the U.S, people tend to blame them for all their problems during economic anxiety. What does the U.S exactly stand for? Freedom and human rights but in most cases when those rights are extended beyond the traditional White race it becomes a problem. I think it stems from the illusion that the U.S is a White country based on perceptions of slavery, jim crow laws and the generational discrimination against colored people, which resulted in White Americans blaming blacks for complaining after centuries of racial discrimination that till this day economically deprives them and instead we believe we're making a progress by already locking up more than a million of them and despite making laws that mostly disproportionately affect them and their community, and also blaming latinos during economic distress. The Arizona law is racially motivated, it alarms me that that majority of those who call the Arizona law constitutional also claim that the health-care bill isn't. I did Pre-law in college, the former is rather unconstitutional but popular among the majority race. Tyranny of a majority at it best.

DerekRE_3
05-18-2010, 12:46 AM

Of the same magnitude? God no.

Atticus Finch
05-18-2010, 01:03 AM
Yes it is, and you must be a White American to be asking that question. You're so naive, it's unbelievable. Abortion and homosexuality is what every community, race, gender equally have to deal with, racism is what a minority of people have to protest against. The Arizona law was a reaction against Mexicans working for cheap and coming to have a better life in the U.S, people tend to blame them for all their problems during economic anxiety. What does the U.S exactly stand for? Freedom and human rights but in most cases when those rights are extended beyond the traditional White race it becomes a problem. I think it stems from the illusion that the U.S is a White country based on perceptions of slavery, jim crow laws and the generational discrimination against colored people, which resulted in White Americans blaming blacks for complaining after centuries of racial discrimination that till this day economically deprives them and instead we believe we're making a progress by already locking up more than a million of them and despite making laws that mostly disproportionately affect them and their community, and also blaming latinos during economic distress. The Arizona law is racially motivated, it alarms me that that majority of those who call the Arizona law constitutional also claim that the health-care bill isn't. I did Pre-law in college, the former is rather unconstitutional but popular among the majority race. Tyranny of a majority at it best.

I've got 2 degrees in sociology in college. Does that mean my opinion means more now?

And you've done nothing but further prove my initial point, which is that sports and politics shouldn't be mixed in this scenario. This is a sports forum, the topic of this thread was the comments Phil Jackson made regarding politics, but let's not forget that discussion relating to sports is first and foremost, and all of the discussion about politics dilutes the rest of the thread. Now if you have an opinion about Phil Jackson, the Lakers, or the Suns in regards to the Arizona law, then let's hear about it. If you want to further discuss the law and why you think it's wrong then take it to a politics forums, where it belongs.

FYI - Homosexuals and women are minorities/2nd class citizens, so I don't know what you're trying to say about everyone having to deal with the problems they face. It's extremely prejudice to assume that racial issues are more important than issues of homosexuality or gender. They are all problems that have to be dealt with.

LA_Raiders
05-18-2010, 01:15 AM
oh boy, let it go already, Arizona will be ****ed up because of this law...Let the state fall by itself...

jmtapia
05-18-2010, 05:58 AM
I agree with Phill the NBA shouldnt get involved in politics.....

myqntab
05-18-2010, 11:13 AM

you mean it is to you.....and obviously, if it isnt as important to someone else, then they are wrong/biased/nazi...etc....

oak2455
05-18-2010, 11:37 AM
I agree with what they are doing in Arizona.......how many more people do we need in this country who do not belong:eyebrow: Listen I live in New York and pretty much seen it all..... This is why two weeks ago they did all those raids in New York and found that a lot of people who were here illegally and part of the messed up car Bombing in Times Square:mad: There are too many bad people sneaking in this country everyday and it needs to stop at some point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oak2455
05-18-2010, 11:39 AM
The United States of America: Where doing the right thing is slowly becoming the "wrong" thing...and this goes hand in hand with..American Liberals: We will *****, whine, and say you are wrong if you don't agree with us...

**** this country.

Is this your belief then leave:clap:

td0tsfinest
05-18-2010, 11:51 AM
he is right in some sense. The nba shouldn't get its hands into politics, you're always going to upset somebody. Just play ball. Players should be allowed to express their opinions but an entire organization should not get involved in supporting one movement.

MassoDio
05-18-2010, 12:02 PM

I was going to stay out of this because I live in Arizona, and if I say that I am for the bill, I automatically get labeled a racist, which in itself is ignorant. But the statement I made bold really pisses me off because it shows just how ignorant you and all other people who have a blanket opinion on the law without actually reading it, or understanding what is going on in this state.

For those of you who just skimmed over what Phil Jackson said, and of course that is what everyone is doing with this bill in general, the law mirrors a law that IS ALREADY IN PLACE AT THE FEDERAL LEVEL. The only reason that the state made the law on the state level is because they are no receiving the help they have been promised for the last decade from the federal government. This issue has been an ongoing discussion between the state government and the federal government for 20 years, and the federal government made promises of help but have never delivered. The state made this bill on the state level so that they had some recourse without having to wait on the federal government to do anything.

This has nothing to do with the economy, cheap labor, or any other nonsense you self righteous people want to place on the people and government of Arizona, without actually looking into the issue and only parroting what you hear on the news, from government officials in other states that are only speaking up to get re-elected or look good to their minority communities, or the public figures that want to make a statement to make themselves look good. No one can speak out for the bill in a public forum because they are immediately labeled a racist by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

I grew up in a Mexican community. My Father was a police officer for 20 years in a city who's population was 97% Mexican. My babysitter when I was a child was from Mexico. I have no issues with immigrants. I have issues with anyone here illegally. For one, it is a crime in itself to be here ILLEGALLY. Two, there is a large amount of crime that is being brought into this state because of the illegal immigrants. Drug smuggling, Social Security Fraud, and Identity theft. There are thousand of uninsured drivers in this city that make the citizens car insurance go higher because they end up having to pay for accidents that was an uninsured driver's fault. It has happened to be 4 times in the last 8 years. There have been an increase in murders where illegal immigrants have been found to be the guilty party. My Father, the 20 year police office in a 97% Mexican community that I told you about, was shot and killed by an illegal immigrant during a routine traffic stop. Why? Because the man was already wanted for murdering his own cousin over drug money. Drug money of which he had transported the drugs across the Arizona border. That same man had been deported 6 times. At the time my Father pulled the man over, the police were not allowed to ask for documentation of citizenship, only a driver's license. Guess what, the man had someone else's license. A lot of good that does right?

I do not think the bill is perfect. I think it will lead to a very, and I mean very, slight increase in racial profiling by police officers. Racial profiling already exists. It is not right, but there will always be racial profiling because people are not perfect, they have fears, they have hate, and they have learned biases. This law is not going to cause officers who have never been prone to racial profiling before, start to racially profile people all of a sudden. The thing is, they can't ask for documentation without already having detained someone, either for a traffic stop, or some other illegal activity.

I just really wish people would actually look into the language of the law, understand that it is already a federal law, and actually do a little research on what is going on in this state before they go labeling people racists for wanting to do something about a major problem.

69centers
05-18-2010, 12:05 PM

Sure he did. He's Phil Jackson -- and there should be protests outside every arena just for that. :laugh2:

DubiousCustomer
05-18-2010, 12:28 PM
If I heard it right the American people are really for stronger immigration laws, if I'm not mistaken.

Well you are mistaken, Phil. The American People aren't some homogeneous group that all think the same thing. When people make comments like this, they are simply trying to put their opinion forward as the one and only correct opinion.

The American People are not in favor of one particular issue because - listen carefully - they aren't only one person. Lots of people ARE NOT in favor of stricter immigration laws because they see it as a pointless waste of time and a harm to the US's historically labor poor economy. So he's wrong. "The American People" don't simply think we need tougher immigration laws. Some Americans do, and that's it.

Atticus Finch
05-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Well you are mistaken, Phil. The American People aren't some homogeneous group that all think the same thing. When people make comments like this, they are simply trying to put their opinion forward as the one and only correct opinion.

The American People are not in favor of one particular issue because - listen carefully - they aren't only one person. Lots of people ARE NOT in favor of stricter immigration laws because they see it as a pointless waste of time and a harm to the US's historically labor poor economy. So he's wrong. "The American People" don't simply think we need tougher immigration laws. Some Americans do, and that's it.

...really? They're called polls. They are done all the time to determine how the majority of the country feels. And every single credible poll done has shown around 60% of the country supports it, while around 30% doesn't. That's a 2:1 ratio, or what we call a landslide in politics. Phil wasn't stating his opinion, he was stating fact.

CLASSOF72
05-18-2010, 12:58 PM

Most Americans do want something done and it's not tougher laws they want it's stricter inforcement of existing laws. It wouldn't be a waist of time to secure our borders and i don't here anything about reducing the number of workers coming in it's about the lawlessness of what is the currant situation. We need to reform our laws and make it easier for workers and people desiring citzenship to get here. In the mean time these same people who come to work often commit what they see as harmless crimes of identity theft I work with a guy who has used 4 or 5 diferent names and cause he's my friend he tells me to call him something different than any of those. I also have a friend who's being sued by the IRS for taxes owed on a job in a state he's never even been to. PJis not an idiot I would asume any American who is on the wrong end of this Lawlessness would want something to change.

Caps1989
05-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Only in America will you see people protesting at an organization that has no position on an issue.

Priceless

fairandbalanced
05-18-2010, 01:27 PM
I was going to stay out of this because I live in Arizona, and if I say that I am for the bill, I automatically get labeled a racist, which in itself is ignorant. But the statement I made bold really pisses me off because it shows just how ignorant you and all other people who have a blanket opinion on the law without actually reading it, or understanding what is going on in this state.

For those of you who just skimmed over what Phil Jackson said, and of course that is what everyone is doing with this bill in general, the law mirrors a law that IS ALREADY IN PLACE AT THE FEDERAL LEVEL. The only reason that the state made the law on the state level is because they are no receiving the help they have been promised for the last decade from the federal government. This issue has been an ongoing discussion between the state government and the federal government for 20 years, and the federal government made promises of help but have never delivered. The state made this bill on the state level so that they had some recourse without having to wait on the federal government to do anything.

This has nothing to do with the economy, cheap labor, or any other nonsense you self righteous people want to place on the people and government of Arizona, without actually looking into the issue and only parroting what you hear on the news, from government officials in other states that are only speaking up to get re-elected or look good to their minority communities, or the public figures that want to make a statement to make themselves look good. No one can speak out for the bill in a public forum because they are immediately labeled a racist by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

I grew up in a Mexican community. My Father was a police officer for 20 years in a city who's population was 97% Mexican. My babysitter when I was a child was from Mexico. I have no issues with immigrants. I have issues with anyone here illegally. For one, it is a crime in itself to be here ILLEGALLY. Two, there is a large amount of crime that is being brought into this state because of the illegal immigrants. Drug smuggling, Social Security Fraud, and Identity theft. There are thousand of uninsured drivers in this city that make the citizens car insurance go higher because they end up having to pay for accidents that was an uninsured driver's fault. It has happened to be 4 times in the last 8 years. There have been an increase in murders where illegal immigrants have been found to be the guilty party. My Father, the 20 year police office in a 97% Mexican community that I told you about, was shot and killed by an illegal immigrant during a routine traffic stop. Why? Because the man was already wanted for murdering his own cousin over drug money. Drug money of which he had transported the drugs across the Arizona border. That same man had been deported 6 times. At the time my Father pulled the man over, the police were not allowed to ask for documentation of citizenship, only a driver's license. Guess what, the man had someone else's license. A lot of good that does right?

I do not think the bill is perfect. I think it will lead to a very, and I mean very, slight increase in racial profiling by police officers. Racial profiling already exists. It is not right, but there will always be racial profiling because people are not perfect, they have fears, they have hate, and they have learned biases. This law is not going to cause officers who have never been prone to racial profiling before, start to racially profile people all of a sudden. The thing is, they can't ask for documentation without already having detained someone, either for a traffic stop, or some other illegal activity.

I just really wish people would actually look into the language of the law, understand that it is already a federal law, and actually do a little research on what is going on in this state before they go labeling people racists for wanting to do something about a major problem.

Haha, have you read the law? because I have. The only reason you're not sympathetic against those profiled is because you are not them, it doesn't affect you. So stop trying to say "Racial profiling already exists. It is not right, but there will always be racial profiling because people are not perfect, they have fears, they have hate, and they have learned biases. This law is not going to cause officers who have never been prone to racial profiling before, start to racially profile people all of a sudden" because you're partially accepting it despite how it ruin families, create more problems for communities both economically and mentally. Another 2 or 3 generations of mexicans will have to keep living below normal human standards because of laws like this. Crimes would go unreported, Latinos would be subjected to slavery-like working conditions because they've got no where to go but jail and everyone knows it. 12 yrs ago during the economic boom, everyone looked away when they were coming in and doing jobs no one wanted, now 8 years after Bush destroyed everything, those same fools that voted for him twice are now taking out their anger out on everyone else but themselves, they protest against things such as tax increases when their tax actually went down, we can see a pattern of racial animosity in things they do under the camouflage of legit issues such as cutting the deficit, that animosity eventually led to the Arizona law. Most are mad that they're paying for school and other govt programs for illegal alliens but that's selfishness because they forget that those people picking apples, working the farms and doing jobs no one wanted during the economic boom of the 90's also have kids, their kids are in school now.....instead of holding the responsibility of sharing the budden of the wealth they racked up in the 90's they now mad that they have to pitch in illegal Mexican kids.

Ironman5219
05-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Phil has an opinion, WHO CARES. That being said sports and politics should never mix. What good does it do to protest NBA games for political gain? I hated it when we boycotted the olympics to make a political statment. For those olympians it cost them the opportunity of a lifetime. Why are we making the illegal immigration issue an NBA issue. Yes protesters have there right of freedom of speech but so do I. So I"m going to use it and call all of the protesters MORONS!! GET A LIFE POEPLE and don't let your political views get in the way of sports.

thunderforce
05-18-2010, 01:52 PM
This is just my view as a canadian but if you dont care how many people from other countries go into your country and dont get control of your borders , you are going to loose your country period . Every country should have control of their borders this is just common sense . Even though we share the longest unprotected border in the world with the us , all borders should be protected , ours , yours and every country .

Ironman5219
05-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Haha, have you read the law? because I have. The only reason you're not sympathetic against those profiled is because you are not them, it doesn't affect you. So stop trying to say "Racial profiling already exists. It is not right, but there will always be racial profiling because people are not perfect, they have fears, they have hate, and they have learned biases. This law is not going to cause officers who have never been prone to racial profiling before, start to racially profile people all of a sudden" because you're partially accepting it despite how it ruin families, create more problems for communities both economically and mentally. Another 2 or 3 generations of mexicans will have to keep living below normal human standards because of laws like this. Crimes would go unreported, Latinos would be subjected to slavery-like working conditions because they've got no where to go but jail and everyone knows it. 12 yrs ago during the economic boom, everyone looked away when they were coming in and doing jobs no one wanted, now 8 years after Bush destroyed everything, those same fools that voted for him twice are now taking out their anger out on everyone else but themselves, they protest against things such as tax increases when their tax actually went down, we can see a pattern of racial animosity in things they do under the camouflage of legit issues such as cutting the deficit, that animosity eventually led to the Arizona law. Most are mad that they're paying for school and other govt programs for illegal alliens but that's selfishness because they forget that those people picking apples, working the farms and doing jobs no one wanted during the economic boom of the 90's also have kids, their kids are in school now.....instead of holding the responsibility of sharing the budden of the wealth they racked up in the 90's they now mad that they have to pitch in illegal Mexican kids.

So the latinos problems all come from Bush, and white people, so you are infavor of protesting NBA games??? HUH???????
Lets do a quick fact check. If an Officer pulls over someone #1 they can't see the person's skin color most of the time, they pull them over BECAUSE THEY DID SOMETING WRONG.

#2 Ever person pulled over has to show and drivers license or ID WHAT EVER COLOR OF SKIN THEY HAVE

That means if the latino, asian, white boy, russain, marshain- what ever has proper ID they are ok. And this does not target mexicans it targets EVERYONE who is here illegally. If an Officer racially profiles or illegally stops someone because of skin color, or any other bias then you can sue the hell out of them in court.

Yes I'm a proud supporter of the Arizona law along with 70% of the rest of the country. We don't hate mexicans, we just want our laws enforced. We welcome those comming into our country that do it the right way LEGALLY.
I could go on and on about the social problems that illegals cause but for goodness sake this is a sports forum, lets talk sports and leave the politial garbage for the CNN threads.

Ironman5219
05-18-2010, 02:04 PM

Its not about making tougher laws, we just want the government to enforce the one's we have.

fairandbalanced
05-18-2010, 02:13 PM
So the latinos problems all come from Bush, and white people, so you are infavor of protesting NBA games??? HUH???????
Lets do a quick fact check. If an Officer pulls over someone #1 they can't see the person's skin color most of the time, they pull them over BECAUSE THEY DID SOMETING WRONG.

#2 Ever person pulled over has to show and drivers license or ID WHAT EVER COLOR OF SKIN THEY HAVE

That means if the latino, asian, white boy, russain, marshain- what ever has proper ID they are ok. And this does not target mexicans it targets EVERYONE who is here illegally. If an Officer racially profiles or illegally stops someone because of skin color, or any other bias then you can sue the hell out of them in court.

Yes I'm a proud supporter of the Arizona law along with 70% of the rest of the country. We don't hate mexicans, we just want our laws enforced. We welcome those comming into our country that do it the right way LEGALLY.
I could go on and on about the social problems that illegals cause but for goodness sake this is a sports forum, lets talk sports and leave the politial garbage for the CNN threads.

You agree with a law you haven't read based on your ideology. Who told you officers do not see skin color? Do you live in America? I support the cops pulling people over if they did something but the reality is that they often pull people over because of the color of their skin. Now the Arizona law mandates that police pull people over if they fit the description of an illegal alien....and who beside Mexicans fit that description? I am not surprised that you're one of the 70% because odds are that you also supported Jim crow laws/segregation along with the Majority of the people. Kudos, you've a track record you can be proud of.

goshhhjosh
05-18-2010, 02:19 PM

Sorry to hear about your father. There are a lot of detrimental things that occur when immigrants are here illegally - like you stated. It's easy for someone to state that there's nothing wrong with illegal immigration when they aren't living near the issue. What's wrong with a state trying to protect its borders? Nothing! If you are here legally you have nothing to worry about, if you're here illegally then you shouldn't be here. Why is it so hard to comprehend that they are here illegally? You know illegal - not legal - law is broken. Everyone wants this perfect utopian society where everyone is happy, they rely on the government for everything, and no one is ever offended. It's not racist to have a state try to protect itself from illegal immigration.

goshhhjosh
05-18-2010, 02:20 PM
You agree with a law you haven't read based on your ideology. Who told you officers do not see skin color? Do you live in America? I support the cops pulling people over if they did something but the reality is that they often pull people over because of the color of their skin. Now the Arizona law mandates that police pull people over if they fit the description of an illegal alien....and who beside Mexicans fit that description? I am not surprised that you're one of the 70% because odds are that you also supported Jim crow laws/segregation along with the Majority of the people. Kudos, you've a track record you can be proud of.

Stop race-baiting and twisting people's statements.

fairandbalanced
05-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Sorry to hear about your father. There are a lot of detrimental things that occur when immigrants are here illegally - like you stated. It's easy for someone to state that there's nothing wrong with illegal immigration when they aren't living near the issue. What's wrong with a state trying to protect its borders? Nothing! If you are here legally you have nothing to worry about, if you're here illegally then you shouldn't be here. Why is it so hard to comprehend that they are here illegally? You know illegal - not legal - law is broken. Everyone wants this perfect utopian society where everyone is happy, they rely on the government for everything, and no one is ever offended. It's not racist to have a state try to protect itself from illegal immigration.

He's lying, there's no where in Arizona with 98% Mexicans and can he name his father? Stop falling for people that will stoop so low to use family tragedy to make a case.

MassoDio
05-18-2010, 02:22 PM

For one, stop assuming you know me and what affects me. This issue has affected me on both sides. This issue affects me on a day to day basis, on both sides. I may be white, but assuming because of that, that this does not affect me in any way makes you look even more ignorant. I have family FROM MEXICO. I grew up in a Mexican community. Most of my life long friends are Mexican and have family that are from Mexico. And on the other side, my Father was murdered by an illegal immigrant while trying to do his job. So yes, it does affect me. You are being rude and disrespectful by saying that it does no affect me. It has affected more of my life than you can possibly imagine. Don't assume you know your head from your *** when you are talking about someone else that you do not know.

If you have read the law, then you don't understand it, or are making LARGE assumptions about it. I am personally not for the law, because it does not help the major issue. I am not against the law though, because it gives the state some sort of recourse.

All of this political bleeding heart nonsense that you are spewing has nothing to do with the reason the law is being put in place. Once again, you are showing that you have no idea what is actually going on here. I understand that the Mexican immigrants are hurting financially. I understand that they have been taking jobs that no one else wanted for a long time. What you fail to realize, is that the Arizona government has been trying to find a solution for at least 20 years, and trying to get the federal governments help so that it could be done in the best manner. The federal government has hemmed and hawed for over a decade. The longer there was no help, the more ILLEGAL, which is the word that people want to keep pretending is not part of the equation, immigrants came into this state.

So because the federal government has done nothing, and according to you, it is all Bush's and white people's fault, we should now do nothing to rectify the problems that have steadily increased as the illegal population has increased. Now, we as a state, one of the states impacted the most by crime due to the situation, should just sit on our hands. People like to complain about Arizona trying to help the situation, but they offer no solutions. Letting the illegal immigration population continue to be here...again ILLEGALLY, and doing nothing to keep more from coming in ILLEGALLY, is not a solution.

Like I said, the law isn't perfect, but it mirrors a Federal law. There is a reason that the Arizona government did that. That is to be sure that they are in line with what is already in place at the federal level. No one complains about the federal law though, only the one that Arizona passed. Which by the way, there are 11 other states already getting ready to put forth the same or similar law. So it isn't just Arizona.

CLASSOF72
05-18-2010, 02:27 PM

You really like to make ignorant assumsions don't ya. You must think white people are realy terrible. I know a coouple of law enforcement guys in AZ and there of Latino descent and have no problem with the law. I read it and it in no way supports racial profiling wich is not legal. Your assumsions and subsequent fallaciuos conclusions make you apear to be uneducated and unable to understand the law, if you realy read it. Not all illegals are the color or have the appearance of latin Americans and most of them actively participate in crimes like identity theft and driving without insurance. I know people on both side of this story and we need to reform it. Have you ever heard accounts of the journey from places like Peru to the US are like? We need to discourage people from participating in this activity until we can put reforms into place that protect everyone from this problem including the emmigrant workers and those trying to become US citizens.

MassoDio
05-18-2010, 02:28 PM
He's lying, there's no where in Arizona with 98% Mexicans and can he name his father? Stop falling for people that will stoop so low to use family tragedy to make a case.

My father's name is Ronald Eugene Kelley. He was shot and killed November 20, 1995 by Alberto Salazar Hernandez. And yes, during the 80's and early 90's El Mirage, Arizona was 97% Mexican.

Try not being an ignorant piece of **** when someone is actually bringing personal examples to a conversation rather than spewing old, tired, political rhetoric instead of having an informed opinion.

MassoDio
05-18-2010, 02:34 PM

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Da Knicks
05-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Doesnt surprise me Phil Jackson using mind games to bring more flare to the series sad sad sad. Now everyone can take time to look at the series but who knows if this actually backfires and takes away from the series the bill is a complete joke almost as bad as the league. We really have to be forced to go through all these big market teams in the playoffs? This is one of the main reasons Lebron has a chance to go to new york at the end of the day it is a business...Would Laker fans be around if the lakers sucked where are the raiders you have to be good in L.A. or no one will show up the big wigs know this. All the big sports entertainment was made so people wouldnt concentrate on the govt anyways so bringing a rally could make the series relevant to non laker fans but, it could also backfire lets wait and see...

fairandbalanced
05-18-2010, 03:24 PM
My father's name is Ronald Eugene Kelley. He was shot and killed November 20, 1995 by Alberto Salazar Hernandez. And yes, during the 80's and early 90's El Mirage, Arizona was 97% Mexican.

Try not being an ignorant piece of **** when someone is actually bringing personal examples to a conversation rather than spewing old, tired, political rhetoric instead of having an informed opinion.

I know you're lying, because you're overstating the percent of mexicans....the town had 66 percent Hispanics or latino of any race but you seem to single-out Mexicans. The town is also 66% white which means that there is no way it was majority Mexicans. Stop lying.

RapOZo
05-18-2010, 03:32 PM
I can't take how some say we should not mix sports with politics, this is not about politics, is about people, sports is for people by people, and everybody should take a side when it comes to big issues involving peoples rights as human being.
and again
ironic how "americans" came and invaded native americans, all the way to the west coast and also invaded territories that belong to mexicans and forced them south out and now is a big deal that some of them try to do what all of "americans" ancestors did.

I recognize illegal immigration is a problem, but it should be treated correctly, just enforcing the borders, and controlling new illegal from immigrate, but pursuit a whole race as criminals is not the way.

MassoDio
05-18-2010, 03:37 PM
I know you're lying, because you're overstating the percent of mexicans....the town had 66 percent Hispanics or latino of any race but you seem to single-out Mexicans. The town is also 66% white which means that there is no way it was majority Mexicans. Stop lying.

You can look up my Father. I am not lying.

And as far as those statistics, there were a lot of white home owners, but the actual residents were 97% Mexican. And I single out Mexican, because that is what they were. My Father was a police officer there. The community was small in those days. Everyone new everyone else. My family was friends with the City Counsel and the Mayor. There were many counsel meetings about the Mexican population, as all but one member of the city counsel was Mexican, the Chief of Police was Mexican, and the Mayor was Mexican. You can continue to not believe me. It makes no difference to me. I was there. And using that to say that I am lying about my Father, which I would never do, my Father was and still is my hero, is childish and disrespectful.

Atticus Finch
05-18-2010, 03:55 PM
You can look up my Father. I am not lying.

And as far as those statistics, there were a lot of white home owners, but the actual residents were 97% Mexican. And I single out Mexican, because that is what they were. My Father was a police officer there. The community was small in those days. Everyone new everyone else. My family was friends with the City Counsel and the Mayor. There were many counsel meetings about the Mexican population, as all but one member of the city counsel was Mexican, the Chief of Police was Mexican, and the Mayor was Mexican. You can continue to not believe me. It makes no difference to me. I was there. And using that to say that I am lying about my Father, which I would never do, my Father was and still is my hero, is childish and disrespectful.

Its not that I didn't believe you, but I went ahead and looked up your father and everything you said is 100% true. Im truly sorry for what happened, nobody should have to go through that, and its especially awful that idiots have to call you a liar because you didn't agree with him.

MassoDio
05-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Its not that I didn't believe you, but I went ahead and looked up your father and everything you said is 100% true. Im truly sorry for what happened, nobody should have to go through that, and its especially awful that idiots have to call you a liar because you didn't agree with him.

Thank you. I do not mind so much that he disagrees with my view of the immigration situation. Many people are in disagreement on the issues, the law, and proposed solutions.

I do take offense to being called a liar.

I appreciate the sentiment.

Atticus Finch
05-18-2010, 04:15 PM
O
I can't take how some say we should not mix sports with politics, this is not about politics, is about people, sports is for people by people, and everybody should take a side when it comes to big issues involving peoples rights as human being.
and again
ironic how "americans" came and invaded native americans, all the way to the west coast and also invaded territories that belong to mexicans and forced them south out and now is a big deal that some of them try to do what all of "americans" ancestors did.

I recognize illegal immigration is a problem, but it should be treated correctly, just enforcing the borders, and controlling new illegal from immigrate, but pursuit a whole race as criminals is not the way.

Read the bill

knickfan4life
05-18-2010, 04:16 PM
my family is originally from afghanistan and everytime i go to the airport, i have to go through triple security compared to the next guy. i am not complaining, do you know why? because there are ****s from the same country as i am who do dumb shyt. i do nothing wrong, therefore i have nothing to be worried about. if they are illegal immigrant, do it properly, get a visa. there are lots of crimes by these hispanic illegal immigrants who damage a lot in the state of arizona and im SURE if it wasnt necessary, the law would not be passed. well if this law is overturned, than they have NO REASON to overcheck me in security, but honestly, i like feelings safe when i board a plane and i think a lot of arizonians feel safer at home.

SteveNash
05-18-2010, 04:42 PM
So MassoDio, even if you are telling the truth, what does the murder being considered an illegal immigrant have to do with anything?

fairandbalanced
05-18-2010, 04:58 PM
my family is originally from afghanistan and everytime i go to the airport, i have to go through triple security compared to the next guy. i am not complaining, do you know why? because there are ****s from the same country as i am who do dumb shyt. i do nothing wrong, therefore i have nothing to be worried about. if they are illegal immigrant, do it properly, get a visa. there are lots of crimes by these hispanic illegal immigrants who damage a lot in the state of arizona and im SURE if it wasnt necessary, the law would not be passed. well if this law is overturned, than they have NO REASON to overcheck me in security, but honestly, i like feelings safe when i board a plane and i think a lot of arizonians feel safer at home.

LOL and Afghani even endorses the Arizona law, talk about Change we can believe In.

ChiSox219
05-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Phil has said a lot of questionable things in the past when it comes to race and social issues.....he's always been suspect to me.

They are only questionable because Phil is a lot more educated then you.

fairandbalanced
05-18-2010, 05:59 PM

Haven't you realized that several people have been claiming that either their dad or uncle was killed by an illegal to make a case for Arizona law? Don't fall victim to their lies, he is lying Which is why he was trying his best to make up things about Mexicans. This not the first time I came across someone claiming that their dad was killed by an illegal in Arizona to get emotional reactions towards their ignorance. He's a liar.

CLASSOF72
05-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Haven't you realized that several people have been claiming that either their dad or uncle was killed by an illegal to make a case for Arizona law? Don't fall victim to their lies, he is lying Which is why he was trying his best to make up things about Mexicans. This not the first time I came across someone claiming that their dad was killed by an illegal in Arizona to get emotional reactions towards their ignorance. He's a liar.

You do realize that the basis for your entire position is based on the assumsion that a person who has sworn to uphold the law and goes out every day risking their lives to fullfill that oath is going to break the law themself by resorting to racial profiling? If you read the law and I doubt you did or you simply couldn't understand the leagal language it was written in you would know that racial profiling is not a part of it in any way. AZ has the right to protect it's citizens. You ignorance is the only reason you are speaking out against the law. Try having a lawyer read and interpret the law for you.Informing yourself properly on what is obviously an important issue for you would help protect you from being manipulated into serving the interests of those who do know the truth behind their intiatives.

ryder78c
05-18-2010, 07:26 PM

you must not watch GANGLAND there is some mexican gang killing people out there
but still its not every mexican its one out of alot of people

i think they should be able to get a thing like a work visa or the US should just buy mexico and build it up down there then the country would be huge hahaaa

Tony_Starks
05-18-2010, 07:42 PM
You do realize that the basis for your entire position is based on the assumsion that a person who has sworn to uphold the law and goes out every day risking their lives to fullfill that oath is going to break the law themself by resorting to racial profiling? If you read the law and I doubt you did or you simply couldn't understand the leagal language it was written in you would know that racial profiling is not a part of it in any way. AZ has the right to protect it's citizens. You ignorance is the only reason you are speaking out against the law. Try having a lawyer read and interpret the law for you.Informing yourself properly on what is obviously an important issue for you would help protect you from being manipulated into serving the interests of those who do know the truth behind their intiatives.

You get the award man. I've read some pretty funny stuff on here but that by far was the most amusing! So police don't racial profile because its illegal? Its not in the law book right? Aww man I'm just going to assume you're being sarcastic because I know that nobody is gullible enough to really believe that.

That reminds me of that scene in "A Few Good Men" when they were trying to convince the jury there's no such thing as a code red because it wasn't in the manual.....

CLASSOF72
05-18-2010, 07:56 PM
You get the award man. I've read some pretty funny stuff on here but that by far was the most amusing! So police don't racial profile because its illegal? Its not in the law book right? Aww man I'm just going to assume you're being sarcastic because I know that nobody is gullible enough to really believe that.

That reminds me of that scene in "A Few Good Men" when they were trying to convince the jury there's no such thing as a code red because it wasn't in the manual.....

So you fit in the I haven't read the bill and just want to take the opputunity to play the race card and acuse innocent people(law enforcement) of commiting crimes, catagory. Next you'll rag me for my spelling and tell me I'm a racist.

save the knicks
05-18-2010, 08:13 PM
You do realize that the basis for your entire position is based on the assumsion that a person who has sworn to uphold the law and goes out every day risking their lives to fullfill that oath is going to break the law themself by resorting to racial profiling?

and a catholic priest would never touch a little boy right?

and your government wouldn't run drugs or work with street dealers like freeway ricky ross?

Go do a google search on no knock raids and inform yourself and maybe look up Iran contra while you're there

that being said i agree that racial profiling isn't the issue here and mostly agree with your stance.

slack_justin
05-18-2010, 08:45 PM

AWESOME,, and good work

and BTW im for also putting businesses out of business if they allow illegals to be hired, NOT FINES BUT SHUT DOWN.

Theyre called ILLEGALS for a reason its ILLEGAL

CLASSOF72
05-18-2010, 08:45 PM
and a catholic priest would never touch a little boy right?

and your government wouldn't run drugs or work with street dealers like freeway ricky ross?

Go do a google search on no knock raids and inform yourself and maybe look up Iran contra while you're there

that being said i agree that racial profiling isn't the issue here and mostly agree with your stance.
As much as Mr Starks would like to desieve you into believing I never said profiling don't happen. I would never be foolish enough to believe there's no such thing as corruption, but since I believe corruption is all encopassing I was sticking to the objective aspect of this. I never said profiling don't exist my budy is a deputy in Lenox CA and he's of African descent and if he see's white 20 year old kids in new cars cruzing the BLVD he pulls them over cause he knows they're looking for drugs. Profiling is the battle cry of the uninformed media modivated people in this debate not mine. I'm just saying I'll go with the profesional law enforcements(wich includes people of most races) judgment on the ground before I would support someone who is willfuly breaking the law.

TheTakeOver24
09-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Best way to get publicity, attack one of the most famous brands in the world: The Los Angeles Lakers.
I disagree with the law but Phil Jackson said nothing wrong...

iggypop123
09-29-2010, 06:01 PM
why bump this?

Gators123
09-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Your a little late, buddy.

Rafer17
09-29-2010, 06:52 PM
Huh?

Raidaz4Life
09-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Most random bump in history

OG "Dee" LOCc
09-29-2010, 07:11 PM
wow phil j ur suppose to be the master of zen damn u messed up this time

Super.
09-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Dammit Phil...Wait a second. Phil Jackson is right.

As is Arizona

bahama0811
09-29-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm not sure why this was bumped.