PDA

View Full Version : Are we the worst team in baseball?

LaToyaHawkins
05-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Wow hard to believe I just posed that question. But at this point it's a pretty legitimate question. I'm sure some apologists on this forum will be out-raged and how ridiculous it was of me to pose this question. But let's be honest with ourselves. We are absolutely horrible. The Pirates beat us 5 times in 6 games (3 of which were at Wrigley).

We are clearly the worst team in the division. The Reds just beat the Cards and are 1/2 game out of 1st. And when the supposed worst team in baseball beats you 5 times in 6 games, does that make us the worst team in baseball?

If you honestly think we are not the worst team in baseball, tell me who we're better than and why.

Jilly Bohnson
05-16-2010, 05:14 PM
:laugh2:

Ron!n
05-16-2010, 05:18 PM
Wow hard to believe I just posed that question. But at this point it's a pretty legitimate question. I'm sure some apologists on this forum will be out-raged and how ridiculous it was of me to pose this question. But let's be honest with ourselves. We are absolutely horrible. The Pirates beat us 5 times in 6 games (3 of which were at Wrigley).

We are clearly the worst team in the division. The Reds just beat the Cards and are 1/2 game out of 1st. And when the supposed worst team in baseball beats you 5 times in 6 games, does that make us the worst team in baseball?

If you honestly think we are not the worst team in baseball, tell me who we're better than and why.
Dude thank god youre not the Royals or White Sox.

LaToyaHawkins
05-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Dude thank god youre not the Royals or White Sox.

lol if i were a white sox fan, i'd kill myself -- regardless of how good/bad they are.

redwhitenblue
05-16-2010, 05:55 PM

Astros

/thread

chicagofan71
05-16-2010, 06:08 PM
:laugh:

WOwolfOL
05-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Astros also beat us in a series...

1908_Cubs
05-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Oh jesus.

d00d
05-16-2010, 06:20 PM
We are the worst team in baseball and the worst baseball franchise in history and the worst sports franchise in the history of sports

CUBDOM4life
05-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Go to hell.

JDIsMyGod23
05-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Chicago. Baseball. Doing things.

d00d
05-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Go to hell.your entire family tree filled it up already. no more room

KOENIG
05-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Not yet, but might be if Hendry doesn't get his head out of the sand.

StrandedCub
05-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Haha Can we say overreacting?

Matchstckman
05-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Yes. Obviously.

d00d
05-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Haha Can we say overreacting?

of course we are. because we shouldn't ***** about the cubs until 2 centuries pass without a world series.

It is just sick that they spent all this money and suck so THOROUGHLY

Silent
05-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Atleast we got the hawks

LaToyaHawkins
05-16-2010, 08:58 PM
i would love to think i'm over-reacting and being overly emotional. but if we can't beat the pirates i dont know who we can beat. even the astro's handled us at wrigley. to say im concerned is an under-statement. i am gravely concerned for the present and future of this franchise.

Cubby
05-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Seriously? We're only five games out? Why are you *****ing? The Cards are slumping as of late, we don't have to face Jimenez or Halladay this week, so really just shut up PLEASE!

Jilly Bohnson
05-16-2010, 11:25 PM
i would love to think i'm over-reacting and being overly emotional. but if we can't beat the pirates i dont know who we can beat. even the astro's handled us at wrigley. to say im concerned is an under-statement. i am gravely concerned for the present and future of this franchise.

CubbieSteve
05-16-2010, 11:50 PM
Answer : No

Tom Servo
05-17-2010, 12:15 AM
Based on the argument he poses, wouldn't that make the Brewers the worst team in baseball? Or the Diamondbacks?

We have winning records against them.

LaToyaHawkins
05-17-2010, 12:49 AM
Based on the argument he poses, wouldn't that make the Brewers the worst team in baseball? Or the Diamondbacks?

We have winning records against them.

yeah those two teams could certainly be part of a small group that we're arguably better than. the others being the royals, baltimore, white sox, and the astros. I could see arguments being made each way for all those teams.and regardless, thats a pretty small group!

Vandelay16
05-17-2010, 12:58 AM
That honor goes to the Astros. Wait, they took 2 of 3 against us...

Chi City
05-17-2010, 01:09 AM

Are you serious? Oh wait, I bet you are. Yeah, your totally irrational belief is awesome. The fact that you even make a thread like this is ridiculous. LaToya, I really respect the way you keep coming in here and make an *** of yourself.

Fritters54
05-17-2010, 01:15 AM
This thread is the biggest FAIL ever.

The Pirates beat us 5 times in 6 games (3 of which were at Wrigley).

...Because the Cubs only lost two at Wrigley.

ChicagoWind1
05-17-2010, 04:57 AM
We are the worst team in baseball and the worst baseball franchise in history and the worst sports franchise in the history of sportsDood STFU?(If you ever post your overeactions once more)Think fool.

redwhitenblue
05-17-2010, 06:45 AM
Astros also beat us in a series...
They also beat the Cardinals. So I guess you're saying they're better than St. Louis too?

cubs0707
05-17-2010, 06:50 AM
hahaha fail

LaToyaHawkins
05-17-2010, 09:04 AM
oh wow some really insightful responses. i haven't seen one argument made for us being better than anybody! just a lot of "oh God what a moron for posting such a ridiculous question"....if it's such a ridiculous question, why won't anyone step up and make an argument? come on it's not that hard...we're better than the royals because we have better hitting and better starting pitcher.

there....was it so hard?

thawv
05-17-2010, 09:29 AM

Are you looking for a reaction or just need some attention? Don't you have anything better to discuss? The worst team in baseball..........(shaking head) Come on dude, what are you 15?

man man
05-17-2010, 10:25 AM
No. Come on.

BDawk4Prez
05-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Not the worst, but the potential is there.

3Fingers
05-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Are we the worst team in baseball? No.

Are we the worst team in baseball relative to its payroll? A case could sure be made.

RAMIREZ4LIFE
05-17-2010, 11:52 AM
well we swept the brewers in Mil and pretty much man handled them so there you go. we arent the worst team

hoggin88
05-17-2010, 12:05 PM
well we swept the brewers in Mil and pretty much man handled them so there you go. we arent the worst team

And the Brewers completely destroyed the Pirates this year, who as we know beat us 5 out of 6 times.

Uh oh an endless cycle has been created! Could it be that judging a team's ability or talent level based on one or two series is a pretty much useless form of evaluation?

Latoya, give a little thought to what you post. This thread obviously has nothing behind it.

Fritters54
05-17-2010, 12:19 PM

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

poodski
05-17-2010, 12:47 PM
According to SRS we are the 4th worst team in baseball. Ahead of the Dbacks, Astros and Pirates.

BDawk4Prez
05-17-2010, 01:02 PM
According to SRS we are the 4th worst team in baseball. Ahead of the Dbacks, Astros and Pirates.

All of whom have owned us this year. :sigh:

hoggin88
05-17-2010, 01:03 PM

So does that pin us as the 4th worst team in baseball, meaning we will likely finish the season as the 4th worst as well? Or does it just mean right now we are playing like the 4th worst team in baseball? I have seen the formula I just don't know how much it holds up over the course of a season.

poodski
05-17-2010, 01:10 PM
So does that pin us as the 4th worst team in baseball, meaning we will likely finish the season as the 4th worst as well? Or does it just mean right now we are playing like the 4th worst team in baseball? I have seen the formula I just don't know how much it holds up over the course of a season.

Its just how we have played thus far. It will also put the AL as better than the NL due to recent years in IL. So while we are probably better than the Royals and Orioles they get the benefit of the doubt because they are in the better league.

Its not an indication of future success its just on how we have played thus far along with our SoS.

For futures there are a few websites like PECOTA which as us at:

Average wins by position in NL Central: 92.8 84.2 78.7 74.6 70.7 65.5
NL Central W L Pct3 Avg W Avg L Champions Wild Card Playoffs
Reds 21 16 .488 83.0 79.0 16.35526 10.43673 26.79199
Cardinals 21 17 .551 91.7 70.3 77.92146 4.96232 82.88378
Pirates 16 21 .446 72.6 89.4 1.09389 .65924 1.75313
Cubs 16 22 .469 74.9 87.1 2.34490 1.34389 3.68879
Brewers 15 22 .465 74.2 87.8 1.84766 1.11036 2.95802
Astros 13 24 .452 70.0 92.0 .43683 .25275 .68958

And cool standings has us at:

Central W L PCT GB RS RA EXPW EXPL DIV WC POFF
Cincinnati 21 16 .568 - 177 178 85.5 76.5 27.2 5.3 32.5
St. Louis 21 17 .553 0.5 160 134 91.9 70.1 52.7 4.4 57.1
Pittsburgh 16 21 .432 5 131 224 57.5 104.5 0.2 <0.1 0.2
Chicago 16 22 .421 5.5 174 188 77.8 84.2 11.1 2.3 13.3
Milwaukee 15 22 .405 6 199 211 76.2 85.8 8.5 1.8 10.3
Houston 13 24 .351 8 110 170 58.7 103.3 0.3 <0.1 0.3

Jilly Bohnson
05-17-2010, 01:15 PM
oh wow some really insightful responses. i haven't seen one argument made for us being better than anybody! just a lot of "oh God what a moron for posting such a ridiculous question"....if it's such a ridiculous question, why won't anyone step up and make an argument? come on it's not that hard...we're better than the royals because we have better hitting and better starting pitcher.

there....was it so hard?

I'm assuming that's along the lines of RPI?

poodski
05-17-2010, 01:28 PM

I'm assuming that's along the lines of RPI?

I think so. Its basically how many runs above or below per game you are compared to the average given your strength of schedule.

I am fairly new with it though.

I think its more of an advanced pyth record.

windycityD
05-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Hendry is going to play this just like he did in 2005, acting like we were still in it as of late July, despite fielding a flawed team. His argument is going to be that in the second half, we'll face a field of several teams vying for the wild card. That schedule reality will be true. The deeper reality, that we should very likely be sellers at the deadline and bring up/ play some more youth, wont come to pass as long as he's GM.

We're one of the worst teams in terms of RISP and LOB. That's not going to change dramatically imo, at least not until A Ram shows up and the entire middle of our order (Lee and Soriano included) gets very hot. This RISP & LOB issue is not new. It's a carry over issue from 2009, and even in 2007, we had trouble scoring for long stretches. 2008 was an aberration folks.

BDawk4Prez
05-17-2010, 01:40 PM
The real reasoning lies way outside of the fancy smancy SRS, RPI, OBP, SLG, OPP, HIV, AID, etc.

It all lies in the only 3 letters that matter, IGT.

Vote me BDawk as the new IGT spot filler.

Jilly Bohnson
05-17-2010, 01:44 PM
I think so. Its basically how many runs above or below per game you are compared to the average given your strength of schedule.

I am fairly new with it though.

I think its more of an advanced pyth record.

Oh okay. one thing we can hang our hats on is that our offense and defense have both had some bad lucky. We're 4th in the NL in wOBA, almost 20 points ahead of the Cards. We're 8th in the NL in FIP, and 3rd in the NL in xFIP. So while it hasn't translated into runs scored and runs allowed, and hasn't translated into wins, there are signs that we could be a bit of a sleeping giant. Now you can never count on a team pulling a mid 2000's Astros and A's where it seemed like every year they sucked until about this time and then were amazing from now until the end of the season, if you had to put money down on a team doing it this year I think you'd have to assume it's going to be either us or the Braves.

poodski
05-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Oh okay. one thing we can hang our hats on is that our offense and defense have both had some bad lucky. We're 4th in the NL in wOBA, almost 20 points ahead of the Cards. We're 8th in the NL in FIP, and 3rd in the NL in xFIP. So while it hasn't translated into runs scored and runs allowed, and hasn't translated into wins, there are signs that we could be a bit of a sleeping giant. Now you can never count on a team pulling a mid 2000's Astros and A's where it seemed like every year they sucked until about this time and then were amazing from now until the end of the season, if you had to put money down on a team doing it this year I think you'd have to assume it's going to be either us or the Braves.

yeah as big of a pessimist as I am on this team, there are reasons to think it will turn around. Aramis simply cant be this bad, Lee has to hit at some point, Zambrano has to be at least relevent the bullpen is starting to get better. I mean there are reasons to think the team can turn it around. And the NL Central is definitely the division to do it in. The Astros, Pirates and Brewers all suck, and despite how good I may think they are, the Reds actually have a negative run differential.

The RISP hitting is going to get better, the one run games are going to start going our way. We just need something. I dont know. Something has to happen.

The only thing that scares me is that I think Fukudome, Soto and Soriano are playing well above their heads. Byrd and Theriot too a little bit. So while yes our two anchors have been bad almost every other spot has been above what you would expect, and thats not good.

Jilly Bohnson
05-17-2010, 02:03 PM
yeah as big of a pessimist as I am on this team, there are reasons to think it will turn around. Aramis simply cant be this bad, Lee has to hit at some point, Zambrano has to be at least relevent the bullpen is starting to get better. I mean there are reasons to think the team can turn it around. And the NL Central is definitely the division to do it in. The Astros, Pirates and Brewers all suck, and despite how good I may think they are, the Reds actually have a negative run differential.

The RISP hitting is going to get better, the one run games are going to start going our way. We just need something. I dont know. Something has to happen.

The only thing that scares me is that I think Fukudome, Soto and Soriano are playing well above their heads. Byrd and Theriot too a little bit. So while yes our two anchors have been bad almost every other spot has been above what you would expect, and thats not good.

Yeah, I agree. Lee and Ramirez will probably rebound, but at the same time the other guys are going to come back to earth. We have to hope they stay at a level such that there's either very little dropoff or that they hold steady enough that Lee and Ramirez rebound by more than the other guys fall off. I think the place that's going to happen is the pitching though. I think we're going to get to a point soon that instead of losing all our games 4-2, we start winning most of them 4-2. I feel like the bullpen's starting to come together. Once we send down Berg and call up Jackson, I'm going to feel good about everyone in the bullpen. That, along with our starting pitching, is going to really give us a damng strong pitching staff.

BDawk4Prez
05-17-2010, 02:07 PM
IGT presence. Don't ignore it's power.

Ron!n
05-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I agree. Lee and Ramirez will probably rebound, but at the same time the other guys are going to come back to earth. We have to hope they stay at a level such that there's either very little dropoff or that they hold steady enough that Lee and Ramirez rebound by more than the other guys fall off. I think the place that's going to happen is the pitching though. I think we're going to get to a point soon that instead of losing all our games 4-2, we start winning most of them 4-2. I feel like the bullpen's starting to come together. Once we send down Berg and call up Jackson, I'm going to feel good about everyone in the bullpen. That, along with our starting pitching, is going to really give us a damng strong pitching staff.
Another good sign is Grabow's been pitching well ever since he got his knee taken care of.

Jilly Bohnson
05-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Another good sign is Grabow's been pitching well ever since he got his knee taken care of.

Grabow's not worth the money we gave him, but he's not a bad pitcher either. He was definitely a good bet to come around.

redwhitenblue
05-17-2010, 03:18 PM
All of whom have owned us this year. :sigh:
Umm....what?

You're watching too many Pirates games, apparently you missed the Cubs/DBacks series.

BDawk4Prez
05-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Umm....what?

You're watching too many Pirates games, apparently you missed the Cubs/DBacks series.

I remember a time in the year where I tried to put myself into an alcohol induced coma. That may have been the series in question.

THE_G.O.A.T.
05-17-2010, 04:13 PM
John Grabow is terrible. Worst FA deal ever...

LaToyaHawkins
05-17-2010, 04:24 PM
here is my concern offensively: soriano, byrd, fukudome, and soto have been hitting at a torrid pace. no way it continues. so while aramis and d-lee will start hitting better, it's just as likely that the other four's hitting starts to decline.

regardless of whoever's hitting improves/declines, overall our timely hitting has to improve. that's the key factor...

scrubs101
05-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Not the worst, but the potential is there.

This is the correct answer.