PDA

View Full Version : Yahoosports: Celtics-Cavs clincher draws huge numbers

JordansBulls
05-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AqxQjsGoGD1xC6M1n1.Ly_.8vLYF?slug=ap-cavaliers-celtics-tvratings)

The Boston Celtics’ series-clinching victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference semifinals is the second-most watched basketball game ever aired on ESPN.

The broadcast Thursday night drew a 6.6 rating on the cable network and averaged 6,552,000 households and 8,983,000 viewers. Only Game 4 of last year’s Western Conference finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and Denver Nuggets did better on ESPN, earning a 6.9 rating.

The Celtics-Cavaliers game is the third most-viewed program on the network in 2010. It captured 29.4 rating in Cleveland, giving ESPN its highest-rated NBA playoff game in that market since it began keeping records in 2003.

The rating is the percentage of all homes with TVs, whether or not they are in use.

RipVW
05-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Its not a surprise.

ManRam
05-15-2010, 10:42 AM
I doubt any other game this year gets higher ratings, unless it's like a Boston/Lakers Finals, and it gets to game 7. LeBron is the biggest draw in the game.

avrpatsfan
05-15-2010, 10:59 AM
It could have been the last game ever Lebron plays in a Cavs uniform.

JordansBulls
05-15-2010, 01:41 PM
I doubt any other game this year gets higher ratings, unless it's like a Boston/Lakers Finals, and it gets to game 7. LeBron is the biggest draw in the game.

Phoenix vs Orlando would get a 12.0

Highlight
05-15-2010, 03:12 PM

The article stated that last years Game 4 of the western conference finals between the Lakers and Denver had higher ratings, so what makes you believe the circumstances would have to be that high to outdo this game?

If it's a Lakers Boston series, it'll get better ratings no doubt about it. It doesn't have to get to a game 7...

Lebron is a big draw, but he's not bigger than certain rivalries. He's obviously a bigger draw than he was back when he was in the finals which got some of the poorest views ever, but it just goes to show that rivalries and close games is what makes high ratings.

Tragedy
05-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Obviously a lot of factors here.

-Celtics fans watching.
-Cavalier fans watching.
-Not much else on.
-Celtics bandwagon fans jumping on to see them potentially clinch.
-Possibly LeBron's last game as a member of the Cavaliers.
-A lot of people hate LeBron and wanted to see him lose.

jetsfan28
05-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Anyone know what beat it this year other than the Super Bowl (I'm guessing that was one of the two things)?

RipVW
05-15-2010, 03:37 PM

-Celtics fans watching.
-Cavalier fans watching.
-Not much else on.
-Possibly LeBron's last game as a member of the Cavaliers with two of the top 3 US markets very interested in the outcome.

I added to your list for ya.

RipVW
05-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Anyone know what beat it this year other than the Super Bowl (I'm guessing that was one of the two things)?

U.S.-Canada hockey?

ARMIN12NBA
05-15-2010, 03:51 PM

Lebron is the biggest draw when he is losing.

The 2007 Finals featuring Lebron was the lowest rated Finals in the longest time...while 2008 and 2009 had much, much bigger ratings.

Kobe is the biggest draw in the game. End of story.

ManRam
05-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Lebron is the biggest draw when he is losing.

The 2007 Finals featuring Lebron was the lowest rated Finals in the longest time...while 2008 and 2009 had much, much bigger ratings.

Kobe is the biggest draw in the game. End of story.

That makes no sense. The Cavs got swept in 2007, the definition of losing. So the ratings were low, and he was losing. But they were just low because it was such a lopsided series.

But people do love to see him lose, probably much more so than people loving to see him win.

ARMIN12NBA
05-15-2010, 04:03 PM
That makes no sense. The Cavs got swept in 2007, the definition of losing. So the ratings were low, and he was losing. But they were just low because it was such a lopsided series.

But people do love to see him lose, probably much more so than people loving to see him win.

I know internationally Kobe is a bigger draw. It is probably more about the Lakers, but in effect he is more popular around the world (see: Wade and Lebron talking about how people in China pushed them aside to get to Kobe during the 2008 Olympics).

Geargo Wallace
05-15-2010, 04:07 PM
cool man.

IversonIsKrazy
05-16-2010, 12:52 AM
only on espn? or all nba games? how was one of the games for bulls-celtics last year, like game 6

JordansBulls
05-16-2010, 01:36 AM

-Celtics fans watching.
-Cavalier fans watching.
-Not much else on.
-Possibly LeBron's last game as a member of the Cavaliers.

Yeah, I agree with all of this.

hineswardfan
05-16-2010, 01:44 AM
was an awesome series!