PDA

View Full Version : Is the 2010 free agency/Lebron talk killing the playoffs?

shep33
05-15-2010, 09:31 AM
This is getting kinda sad, all over ESPN and most sports media, the topic of focus is LBJ and free agency. Problem is the season ain't over yet. Kinda disrespectful to the other 4 teams left, all quality teams that deserve to be there. It honestly seems like free agency has overtaken the playoffs, and its pretty annoying to me. We got all summer to talk about LBJ, but man this is bad for basketball if nobody cares about the final 4.

What do you guys think?

SNYmets86
05-15-2010, 09:46 AM
i think ounce the eastern and western conference starts off .... we are going to here it but not as much ..... i hope so cuz is gettin tiring:facepalm:

Lakers4ItAll
05-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Yes it's all ESPN is going to talk about until he sign's somwhere, it's gna be annoying

m26555
05-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Yes. We have two very exciting series' coming up and are looking at a potential rematch of the 2008 Finals or that of last year's Finals, and all we're hearing about is a guy who was already knocked out of the playoffs. It's pathetic.

_Supreme_
05-15-2010, 10:03 AM
The Lebron talk, and all the 2010 offseason talk in general, has been killing the whole season.

At least on the internet. I try to read as little of it as possible, but yet it is everywhere you look, so it is ultimately unavoidable to get confronted with it.

shep33
05-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Yeah this has been terrible... i mean Boston beats them in 6, and honestly i think the focus in all interviews and on all media stages was on LBJ directly after the game. That's pretty annoying, I'm not a Celtics fan, but man they deserved more for what they did... but LBJ news is dominating everything right now... from the speculation of Mike Brown, to LBJ's elbow, to the whole delonte West thing, this is getting ridiculous, and i didn't really want to start another lebron thread either cause they're all over the place, but like others have said we got 2 very good series that could each go 7 and really are anybody's to win.

JordansBulls
05-15-2010, 10:11 AM
This is getting kinda sad, all over ESPN and most sports media, the topic of focus is LBJ and free agency. Problem is the season ain't over yet. Kinda disrespectful to the other 4 teams left, all quality teams that deserve to be there. It honestly seems like free agency has overtaken the playoffs, and its pretty annoying to me. We got all summer to talk about LBJ, but man this is bad for basketball if nobody cares about the final 4.

What do you guys think?

How so? None of the other series have even started.

arkanian215
05-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Looks like that's the case in this forum. The playoffs aren't over and yet, the boston vs orlando and phx vs la threads are way down on the page.

jackdawson
05-15-2010, 10:13 AM
No. It's usual to talk about him because he is the greatest player on earth and the face of basketball.

jetsforever
05-15-2010, 10:17 AM
No, it's just something else to talk about during the break between games, it will shrink when the games restart.
The offseason on the other hand... That will be lebron watch.

shep33
05-15-2010, 10:18 AM
How so? None of the other series have even started.

Yeah, but i think the series could be analyzed more by media, heck they should even be hyping these series up, but IMO i just think that its gone way too far... if you go to ESPN or NBA.com's NBA page right now, you'll see Lebron as the cover story. It is big news and he is the best free agent maybe of all time, but we got Boston vs Orlando coming up tomorrow and i just hope this doesn't continue into the 2 upcoming series. I think it could continue, particularly if this Delonte West story is true, which i doubt, but if it is it'll bring up a huge storm of media coverage, and cause people to think that its the reason why Lebron played somewhat tentatively in the last couple games. Is there any truth to that still though? Anybody know?

macc
05-15-2010, 10:25 AM
And yet ANOTHER Lebron thread.....really guys, I mean really...

Iodine
05-15-2010, 10:26 AM
PSD tends to over talk everything, so atleast here I have tuned it out

Iron24th
05-15-2010, 10:30 AM
The series haven't even started,so they talk about something to wait,what's wrong?

Mochalman
05-15-2010, 10:32 AM
espn always picks one thing and runs it down everyone's throats. from favre retiring and unretiring to this and any kind of legal situation.

RipVW
05-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Its actually more interesting than the playoffs. The build up to this offseason has been years in the making (whereas this is only one year) and the way things ended for Cleveland have justifiably ratcheted up the interest.

ManRam
05-15-2010, 10:40 AM
You guys can blame the media all you want, but the fact is, the fans eat this stuff up like candy. Just look how many LeBron threads have been made the last 24+ hours. Love him or hate him, you care. Whether it's fueled by hate or love, it is the biggest story in sports right now, and until the games start, it's bigger than the playoffs...and I don't think that's a problem.

When the games start up again, it will return to the back burner.

icon1914
05-15-2010, 10:51 AM
The problem is the weakness of this years playoffs. Other than LA getting a scare from the Thunder and Dallas coming up short once again, there hasn't been much to write home about.

The best series has been the Bucks and Hawks, but how many people outside of those teams home crowds really care about that matchup?

These playoffs have been full of sweeps and let downs. I hope this round is better, but until these playoffs give us something to really talk about, we will talk about the future, and LeBron is a big part of the future if the NBA.

Iodine
05-15-2010, 10:52 AM
You guys can blame the media all you want, but the fact is, the fans eat this stuff up like candy. Just look how many LeBron threads have been made the last 24+ hours. Love him or hate him, you care. Whether it's fueled by hate or love, it is the biggest story in sports right now, and until the games start, it's bigger than the playoffs...and I don't think that's a problem.

ManRamForPrez24=Where being godlike happens

Reversed86Curse
05-15-2010, 11:01 AM

What do you guys think?

PSD, where creating an LBJ thread to talk about how annoying all of the other LBJ talk/threads happens

Big Game Son
05-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Only if you want it to

Rivera
05-15-2010, 11:10 AM
And yet ANOTHER Lebron thread.....really guys, I mean really...

x2

all this lebron talk is making miss brett farve

is brett farve going back to minnesota? or is he retiring?

sep11ie
05-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Wow, it's killing PSD too idiot.

streetballa
05-15-2010, 11:15 AM
It doesn't help he was involved in the only competitive 2nd round series....But it is the most annoying thing in the NBA

JNA17
05-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Fans blaming the media=media saying "like taking candy from a baby".

If you really want to stop hearing the off-season crap, stop making lebron threads or FA threads.

igPay atinLay
05-15-2010, 11:20 AM
I don't think the Lebron talk is killing the playoffs its killed my interest in basketball.

I am just sick of the sport right now (watching not playing).

jdmd3
05-15-2010, 12:02 PM
If the Lebron talks continue despite games being played, then it will definitely be a problem. For now though it's still okay.

ink
05-15-2010, 01:02 PM
I think the 2010 free agency talk has already killed the 09-10 season. Luckily a lot of the free agents are already out of the playoffs so now we won't have to hear about it, at least during the games.

Teeboy1487
05-15-2010, 01:10 PM
x2

all this lebron talk is making miss brett farve

is brett farve going back to minnesota? or is he retiring?
:speechless:

ink
05-15-2010, 01:48 PM

Problem is, it's not sport talk. There's a lot of gossip and bashing in all the threads that were started and it wrecks a forum.

It will be great to get back to games.

RipVW
05-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Problem is, it's not sport talk. There's a lot of gossip and bashing in all the threads that were started and it wrecks a forum.

A week or so ago, I created a poll asking people whether theyre more excited about the offseason or the playoffs. Most people were/are excited about the offseason.

Mr.WhiteSox
05-15-2010, 02:13 PM
known cares about the playoffs. they really arn't that fun to watch if your team aint in it

chonbon
05-15-2010, 02:23 PM
i believe the horrible basketball being played is whats killing the playoffs...hopefully it gets better

njnets
05-15-2010, 02:25 PM
it is DEFINITELY killing the playoffs. the suns-lakers series and the magic-celtic series should be great basketball to watch. instead, people are just concerned about lebrons future (which is understandable). however, nothing will change from now until after the playoffs, so people should enjoy the basketball that is being played now and then turn their attention to lebron's FA status. it is not fair to the 4 remaining teams because they've worked hard, are great teams, and get nothing on espn. its terrible

Draco
05-15-2010, 02:33 PM

And a lot of it is talk about news of three GMs opinion of the Bulls signing Lebron, and ESPN sports writers opinions of where Lebron might go, and news of a phone call made by Lebron to Rose, and so on and so forth.

AntwanN21
05-15-2010, 02:38 PM
So i was looking on a couple players twitters and have been noticing a lot of posts about espn, lebron free agency etc. It seems to me a lot of players are getting annoyed by it like some of us fans.

Heres Demar Derozans Twitter:

"I don't get why everybody think LBJ going to NYc. I doubt it. Don't let the media brain wash you.... "

http://twitter.com/demar_derozan

Heres something from Johny Flynn( sorry if i mispelled)

Chris Bosh from a couple days ago

"I almost made it the whole day without anyone asking what I'm gonna do about next year. "

Johhny Flynn's Twitter (not sure if he posted, but was on his page)

"Forget Lebron we might have seen the last of a legend! Shaq!!!!!<--- EVERYBODY is overlooking his situation "

http://twitter.com/j_flynn

So it seems to me like players themselves, and this is just a couple examples are somewhat fed up with all the talka bout this offseason. Im sure everyone will be happy once its over

Thoughts?

Kakaroach
05-15-2010, 02:46 PM
It would be piss me off too if I all I ever heard for the next month and a half was about my impending free agency and that was all people were talking to me about.

Netsfan2010
05-15-2010, 02:57 PM
known cares about the playoffs. they really arn't that fun to watch if your team aint in it

Agreed with 100%. All i can say is right now knicks and nets fans don't care one bit about the playoffs. Right now, its all about the summer of Lebron.

dtmagnet
05-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Are you crazy, it isn't killing the playoffs... it already killed the whole season!

Kingz4L
05-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Personally I dont mind hearing news about Lebrons future but when you got every source saying the same thing every day and ESPN's so called experts voicing their stupid opinions about where he will go, is what makes it so annoying. All I want is *new updates* not possibilties of where he will go.

The playoffs to me suck anyway (this year), I do like watching the Magic though but all of the other teams bore me to death, Suns would be fun to watch if they actually had a advantage against LA but everyone knows they will lose in the end, The only series that will be interesting is Magic/Celtics because of their style of play and star power thats in that series. Lakers and Orlando should be good this time though (if everybody stays healthy), I picked the Magic to win this year once they got Vince and Im sticking with it.

On the side note, is anybody exited about the NBA Lottery, I sure am haha, hope we get top 3 pick!!

ldc62
05-15-2010, 03:26 PM
I feel that Lebron and Bosh actually like being talked about. Lebron because thats who he is and Bosh because he never gets attention (why else would he ask all these questions on Twitter).

Hawkeye15
05-15-2010, 03:30 PM
its beyond annoying. Why can't we wait until the season is over. The Lakers, Magic, Celtics, and Suns should be the only thing we are talking about right now.

thescore53
05-15-2010, 03:42 PM
really? they are getting paid to play a game, they're getting paid more than doctors, lawyers, they are blessed to be in this situation they cant complain

bluefire7002
05-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Its pretty annoying I must say... But then again My team and the suns have been off for over a week I guess they cant talk about them for a week straight. So i guess we will see once they start off in a couple of days. I do think its pretty disrespectful that they dont really talk much about the Celtics having to do anything about ending Lebrons season or how they are going to matchup against the Magic..

I sometimes stay up to watch mike and mike in the morning on TV and literally for a whole hour and a half it was ALL about Lebron... I was like WTF is there anyone other sports that went on that day?

ink
05-15-2010, 05:03 PM
A week or so ago, I created a poll asking people whether theyre more excited about the offseason or the playoffs. Most people were/are excited about the offseason.

Haha, the fantasy transformation is complete. Now people don't even want to watch the sport.

I'm happy to see the free agents get eliminated from the playoffs so we don't have to hear about ANYTHING BUT the playoffs. I mean, what's the point of a sport if all people want to do is fight and gossip about what happens OFF the court? Funny.

RipVW
05-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Haha, the fantasy transformation is complete. Now people don't even want to watch the sport.

Well, most summers there's the draft and a few good players. But its mainly the draft. This summer could bring a seismic shift, depending on what happens.

whitemamba33
05-15-2010, 05:40 PM
What do they expect? It's the biggest free agency...ever.

ink
05-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Well, most summers there's the draft and a few good players. But its mainly the draft. This summer could bring a seismic shift, depending on what happens.

Hope it's a dud. It'll be great when it's done. Major ego-feeding for a few athletes who are going to get paid a lot of money. Otherwise it's just been a 2-3 year long disruption of basketball.

sventhedog
05-15-2010, 05:49 PM
yes. i hope people realize that this is how you'll know how overrated lebron is.

kblo247
05-15-2010, 05:51 PM
What do they expect? It's the biggest free agency...ever.

I seem to remember a free agency with Kidd, Nash, Kobe, and JO.

sventhedog
05-15-2010, 05:56 PM
yes they may be fed up. but not lebron. he's the one who's done every thing in his power to make any nonsense news that has came out. you see him trying to make people guess about him wanting to go to new york. he could've just postponed the talk until summer if he really respected the cleveland organization. but he just can't seem to keep away from his desire for attention. he'd pick any fan's attention over a chance to win a title. it's sad but true.

masalex1205
05-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Of course they are going to talk about this, the playoffs have been SOOOO boring thus far, got to be a record for number of sweeps through 2 rounds

Draco
05-15-2010, 06:17 PM
I'm happy to see the free agents get eliminated from the playoffs so we don't have to hear about ANYTHING BUT the playoffs. I mean, what's the point of a sport if all people want to do is fight and gossip about what happens OFF the court? Funny.

It's ironic that you didn't notice that the extra attention paid to Lebron's future is precisely due to his early playoff exit.

m26555
05-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Agreed with 100%. All i can say is right now knicks and nets fans don't care one bit about the playoffs. Right now, its all about the summer of Lebron.
Yeah, because Knicks' and Nets' fans represent each and every NBA fan across the globe.

"No one" does not equal fans of two teams.

ink
05-15-2010, 06:22 PM
It's ironic that you didn't notice that the extra attention paid to Lebron's future is precisely due to his early playoff exit.

No irony was missed. However Lebron is never hurting for media attention. All we've been hearing about for a few years is this off-season. I'd rather watch basketball.

And someone above said the playoffs have been boring? :shrug: The East has been boring for at least a decade but the West is never boring at all.

OKC-Lakers, Mavs-Spurs, Spurs-Suns, all phenomenal basketball, and even a few of the Jazz-Lakers games were pretty good.

ink
05-15-2010, 06:26 PM

Really? Neither the Lakers or Thunder are my teams but that was one of the most exciting series I've seen in a long time. Very exciting to see a new team like that emerge.

Go Sonics!! LOL.

ink
05-15-2010, 06:34 PM
its beyond annoying. Why can't we wait until the season is over. The Lakers, Magic, Celtics, and Suns should be the only thing we are talking about right now.

:clap:

SA5195
05-15-2010, 06:36 PM
I'm getting more fed up with it.

AirCanada15ORL
05-15-2010, 07:17 PM
WE HAVNT EVEN STARTED THE CONFERENCE FINALS AND THEY ARE TALKING LIKE THE SEASON IS OVER!! GOD DAMMIT SPORTSCENTER IS RIDICULOUS

Through the Sportscenter segmant I watched today was this.
-Baseball highlights
-Lebron Offseason
-LEBRON BIOGRAPHY
-feel bad for the king. It's a shame they didnt win segment. (highlights and stuff)
-Lebron's top 10 plays of his career
-hockey highlights

IM NOT EVEN EXAGGERATING. I got so fricken annoyed!
I havnt even seen a ECF matchup on tv yet. Why isnt their a Celtics or Magic conference finals run review (like highlights from playoffs/season). No Puppet commercials is nice though...

Like It didnt bother me that much until they had a dramatic movie about Lebrons finals run and his "unbelievable" performance to knock off the wizards first round.

I almost threw up. ESPN has a goal. Talk Lebron up as much as possible. And once they lose, just act like it had nothing to do with Lebron sucking, and instead show biographys to remind you how he's the king. So They talk lebron up, then once he loses they move on to whats next for lebron?
ssickening

AirCanada15ORL
05-15-2010, 07:23 PM
why cant they just wait till AFTER the playoffs is over.

I have a feeling after whichever team wins the Finals. ESPN will just have a short segment, like a recap of the final's game highlights. then quickly switch over to Lebron is king biography.

Oh and if LEBRON won the Finals. You would not here the end of it!

it's b.s

Draco
05-15-2010, 07:34 PM
We've got some time in between games so why not... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT0ofNU1NzA)

BAMF
05-15-2010, 07:41 PM
I seem to remember a free agency with Kidd, Nash, Kobe, and JO.

Kobe was never gonna leave, everyone knew that :D

MaHaRaJaH
05-15-2010, 10:22 PM
really? they are getting paid to play a game, they're getting paid more than doctors, lawyers, they are blessed to be in this situation they cant complain

And I'm fed up with people assuming money can solve any problem. Because their problems are CLEARLY not money related.

iFYouSeekAmy
05-16-2010, 12:23 AM
If I'm a player going through free agency, I would be annoyed.

I'm on an average player on an average team, I would hope for a gree agent to land on my team.

MaHaRaJaH
05-16-2010, 12:32 AM
why cant they just wait till AFTER the playoffs is over.

I have a feeling after whichever team wins the Finals. ESPN will just have a short segment, like a recap of the final's game highlights. then quickly switch over to Lebron is king biography.

Oh and if LEBRON won the Finals. You would not here the end of it!

it's b.s

Because apparently people care more about where Lebron will go.

Becks2307
05-16-2010, 12:36 AM
The 2 time reigning MVP and most amazing physical specimen EVER in the NBA, not even mentioning the youngest to break a load of records AND the potential to be the best ever is about to be the subject of a bidding war in some of the major cities in the league, and you guys are shocked he is getting so much coverage?

hugepatsfan
05-16-2010, 12:36 AM
Seriously. I saw one short feature on the ECF tonight. I've seen 0 coverage of the WCF. Evrything is about that arrogant douche bag.

hugepatsfan
05-16-2010, 12:38 AM
WE HAVNT EVEN STARTED THE CONFERENCE FINALS AND THEY ARE TALKING LIKE THE SEASON IS OVER!! GOD DAMMIT SPORTSCENTER IS RIDICULOUS

Through the Sportscenter segmant I watched today was this.
-Baseball highlights
-Lebron Offseason
-LEBRON BIOGRAPHY
-feel bad for the king. It's a shame they didnt win segment. (highlights and stuff)
-Lebron's top 10 plays of his career
-hockey highlights

IM NOT EVEN EXAGGERATING. I got so fricken annoyed!
I havnt even seen a ECF matchup on tv yet. Why isnt their a Celtics or Magic conference finals run review (like highlights from playoffs/season). No Puppet commercials is nice though...

Like It didnt bother me that much until they had a dramatic movie about Lebrons finals run and his "unbelievable" performance to knock off the wizards first round.

I almost threw up. ESPN has a goal. Talk Lebron up as much as possible. And once they lose, just act like it had nothing to do with Lebron sucking, and instead show biographys to remind you how he's the king. So They talk lebron up, then once he loses they move on to whats next for lebron?
ssickening

In the next 2.5 weeks (because the NBA playoffs take forever) I'm sure we won't be too friendly. But this is one of those time where we feel the same way.

Becks2307
05-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Seriously. I saw one short feature on the ECF tonight. I've seen 0 coverage of the WCF. Evrything is about that arrogant douche bag.

Well the west finals honestly looks like a done deal...NO team this year was as good as the lakers imo. Next year will be alot more interesting with the Thunder emerging.

DeyAce
05-16-2010, 12:46 AM
The biggest news since Shaq went to L.A.

SA5195
05-16-2010, 12:46 AM
The 2 time reigning MVP and most amazing physical specimen EVER in the NBA, not even mentioning the youngest to break a load of records AND the potential to be the best ever is about to be the subject of a bidding war in some of the major cities in the league, and you guys are shocked he is getting so much coverage?

No one's shock, IMO people are just sick and tired of hearing about Lebron and the 2010 FA talk.

hugepatsfan
05-16-2010, 12:47 AM
Well the west finals honestly looks like a done deal...NO team this year was as good as the lakers imo. Next year will be alot more interesting with the Thunder emerging.

So did the ECF last year. Everyone on ESPN picked LAL over BOS in the finals in 2007-08.

Becks2307
05-16-2010, 12:49 AM
So did the ECF last year. Everyone on ESPN picked LAL over BOS in the finals in 2007-08.

you dont get what im saying...it LOOKS like a done deal so people are ignoring it. It doesnt mean that it will turn out that way but as of right now it LOOKS like it so people dont talk about it.

hugepatsfan
05-16-2010, 12:56 AM
you dont get what im saying...it LOOKS like a done deal so people are ignoring it. It doesnt mean that it will turn out that way but as of right now it LOOKS like it so people dont talk about it.

Yeah, I guess. But PHX is a very exciting team to watch and the Lakers are a popular team. It seems to me like it is a very exciting series to watch (I actually am picking PHX).

NYtilIdie
05-16-2010, 01:02 AM
Yeah, I guess. But PHX is a very exciting team to watch and the Lakers are a popular team. It seems to me like it is a very exciting series to watch (I actually am picking PHX).

Nothing exciting about a series thats going to end in a sweep.

hugepatsfan
05-16-2010, 01:03 AM
Nothing exciting about a series thats going to end in a sweep.

I disagree that it will be a sweep.

PrettyBoyJ
05-16-2010, 01:25 AM
even tho we may not wanna hear it a lot of other ppl do.. and the more Lebronn tlk the more ppl tune in cuz evryone wants to know what's his next move goin to be.. and there ratings is prob up since lebron tlk started

Fireworld
05-16-2010, 01:29 AM
Yes. poor guy, people should leave him alone. He's only 25 and has a long career ahead of him.

JSK
05-16-2010, 05:26 AM
Blame it on the NBA for their ridiculously delayed playoff schedule. There is no reason PHX/LA couldn't have started their series yesterday. The East could have started today. How in the hell is the West starting after the East when they have been sitting idle even longer?

Stupid. A series should never have more than a day between games either but the NBA is all about the revenue and scheduling when they can make the most money.

ldawg
05-16-2010, 09:43 AM
ESPN/NBA ETC.. STFU WITH ALL THIS LlEBRON BS HE IS FISHING DO YOUR JOBS AND COVER THE THE F-ING PLAYOFFS STOP PUTTING TO MUCH STOCK IN ONE PLAYER. WHAT IF HE CAN'T PLAY BBALL NEXT SEASON OR ANYMORE? THEN NBA WILL BE DUMB WAITING TEN YEAR LOOKING FOR ANOTHER LEBRON WHO HAS DONE NOTHING?

Raoul Duke
05-16-2010, 10:00 AM
It's pretty sad. Kobe is fixin' to try and win his fifth ring, and all the talking heads want to talk about is what Lebron James had for breakfast or how much corn was in John Calipari's poop, and how it all means that the two of them are conspiring to steal the statue of liberty.

AirCanada15ORL
05-16-2010, 01:35 PM
In the next 2.5 weeks (because the NBA playoffs take forever) I'm sure we won't be too friendly. But this is one of those time where we feel the same way.

Yeah we might be hating eachother when this is over. But Right now, Idk if this is selfish but I want to see some damn ECF previews. Some Orlando/Boston season reviews. Some hype for them.
I mean why not they fought and worked hard and reached to the ECF. Why should they not be rewarded? Why should Lebron who just took a 2nd round exit be rewarded, but not the team that advances?

I didnt care that much until the Lebron biography came up. That set me off, and not one mention of the ECFs sunday. Not a single section I mean wtf? Could you imagine if the Cavs were in the ECF? :facepalm:

w.e I'm still excited for today.