PDA

View Full Version : Garnett said he wished he would have left earlier.

NBAfan4life
05-14-2010, 12:09 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/post/_/id/15905/you-cant-spell-king-without-kg

I know it is another Lebron thread which I'm ashamed of posting, but I found this a good read. Garnett is basically saying loyalty kept him in Mn. He said if he could do it over he would of left sooner

HOZ THE KNICK
05-14-2010, 12:33 PM
can you blame him? winning feels a whole lot better.

Knucklz
05-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Seriously, who would want to play in Minnesota anyway.

jimbobjarree
05-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Its kinda different when you get traded somewhere else though. KG is a Minny icon and is still loved there. If you make the active decision to ditch the place that drafted you and a city that loves you and head to a rival, giving them nothing in return its much difficult to do.

a question to hoz the knick. In your sig you say july 1st the dynasty begins, but cant players only start signing with other teams after the 7th of July?

PC
05-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Its kinda different when you get traded somewhere else though. KG is a Minny icon and is still loved there. If you make the active decision to ditch the place that drafted you and a city that loves you and head to a rival, giving them nothing in return its much difficult to do.

a question to hoz the knick. In your sig you say july 1st the dynasty begins, but cant players only start signing with other teams after the 7th of July?

I'm sure you know this but they can agree to the contracts on July 1st, they just can't make it official until July 8th

hype707
it makes not sense Min went to the Western COnf finals and there team was stacked. Garnett is a punk

king4day
This isn't a Lebron thread even though it's why he said it.
I thought it was a mistake to say that though. Minny fans won't like it.

*Superman*
05-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Can't blame him, wasted his talent and career there. Respect him for not ditching Minny tho.

m26555
05-14-2010, 12:42 PM
it makes not sense Min went to the Western COnf finals and there team was stacked. Garnett is a punk
Stacked? LMAO.

Yeah; it was so stacked that Garnett had to play point guard in the WCF because Cassell and Troy Hudson were both injured. Let's also remember that their frontcourt outside of Garnett consisted of Ervin Johnson and Michael Olowokandi.

Yeah; real stacked. :rolleyes:

jimbobjarree
05-14-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm sure you know this but they can agree to the contracts on July 1st, they just can't make it official until July 8th

nope. Thanks for clearing that up ;)

hype707
05-14-2010, 12:44 PM
they were the NO 1. seed ******* he was the MVP what else do you want? groupie

m26555
05-14-2010, 12:45 PM
they were the NO 1. seed ******* he was the MVP what else do you want? groupie
Yeah, because the fact that he was MVP has EVERYTHING to do with his supporting cast. :rolleyes:

You are clearly no older than 12. Go take your afternoon nap.

hype707
05-14-2010, 12:47 PM
or the fact they had the best record?

m26555
05-14-2010, 12:49 PM
or the fact they had the best record?
They had the best record BECAUSE of Garnett. Yeah, he had Cassell who came up HUGE for them, but he was injured for the WCF and Garnett had to play point guard because of it.

Basically, Garnett had to take on the Lakers with an aging Latrell Sprewell, Ervin Johnson, The Kandi Man (arguably the biggest draft bust in history), and Wally Szczerbiak. You're right; that's a great supporting cast there.

*Superman*
05-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Is he basically telling Lebron to leave Cleveland?

joe j.09
05-14-2010, 12:55 PM
pretty much

Oefarmy2005
05-14-2010, 01:29 PM
I think it was not a nice thing to say, but I understand what he means. I still don't get why everybody talks so much trash about Minnesota. No it's not the free agent hotspot and never will be, but it is a great place to live in. Yes it's cold here in the winter and the night life is almost non-existent, but the life standard, education and medical facilities here are second to none. We also have the nicest population in the whole country, probably 30 fortune 500 companies based here.

tangent12
05-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Hopefully, Lebron listens and takes a look at Garnett's situation so he doesn't face the same fate.

Oefarmy2005
05-14-2010, 01:30 PM
By the way, I was born in Moscow and lived in a city of 10+ million people half of my life, and I like Minneapolis better. It all depends on your taste, and there is no universal truth in this matter.

hugepatsfan
05-14-2010, 01:31 PM

Not telling him to leave exactly. But saying do what's good for you - don't let the CLE allegience he may have force him into a decision he may regret later.

Oefarmy2005
05-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Hopefully, Lebron listens and takes a look at Garnett's situation so he doesn't face the same fate.

Let's agree on one thing though. The Cavs have surrounded him with a better cast than Garnett ever had expect for the one year he made it to the WCF. So I honestly think it's all on him. His roster is very comparable to Orlando talent wise.

hugepatsfan
05-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Let's agree on one thing though. The Cavs have surrounded him with a better cast than Garnett ever had expect for the one year he made it to the WCF. So I honestly think it's all on him. His roster is very comparable to Orlando talent wise.

Maybe on fantasy island.

Miltown34
05-14-2010, 01:45 PM
KG i don't know cus I don't know if anybody would have given him all that money unless he took a paycut to play with a good team he makes like 23 mil...thats hard 2 put guys around you unless ur GM is an excellent drafter,but even then

clehmun
05-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Maybe on fantasy island.

why not?
i personally would take:

jamison over lewis

mo will over nelson (they're pretty equal, but i like Mo because i think he's a perfect complement for someone like lebron).

Z + varejao + hickson over gortat + ryan anderson + bass

delonte west over jj reddick

barnes + pietrus is better than anthony parker + moon

and obviously, orlando has VC. and cleveland has shaq. they play different games, but the point is that they complement their star's game. inside/outside.
i guess VC > Shaq, but shaq does have more of an impact than stats sheet suggest.

and even then, the difference between VC and Shaq is made up by the rest of the advantage cavs have on the magic.

i say both cavs and magics supporting cast are equally good.

sep11ie
05-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Seriously, who would want to play in Minnesota anyway.

Rubio is dying to get there!

Hawkeye15
05-14-2010, 02:02 PM
As a Wolves fan, I respect that Garnett put us on the map, and he gave us his best years.
Now, Kevin, how are we to surround you in a small market while you are making $25 million a year? How are we to keep competitive when YOU are the one who wanted Mike James, and the long term extentions of such players as Trenton Hassell, and Troy Hudson, and many more mediocre players because of your irrational loyalty? You had absolutely no problem signing roster hampering contracts, literally causing the lockout in the late 90's nearly single handedly. You had no problem being paid like a superstar, and then disappearing in the clutch.
Kevin Garnett is/was/probably always will be an athletic icon in Minnesota. But he is the one that signed those ridiculous contracts, and influenced management into retaining role players at lots of money. Did the front office have a lot to do with it? The Joe Smith debatacle, the Jaric trade? Yes. But the point is, have some gratitude Garnett. We could just as easily shipped you to a situation where you were not going to win, you didn't have a no trade clause. But we choose to ship you to Boston following the Ray Allen trade, because it was thought that was the best situation to get you what you deserved, which was a ring. You got it. Shut up and thank Glen Taylor and the Wolves for paying you $170 million to be the greatest second banana in history.

Hawkeye15
05-14-2010, 02:03 PM

no way it is.

Corey
05-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Now, Kevin, how are we to surround you in a small market while you are making $25 million a year? How are we to keep competitive when YOU are the one who wanted Mike James, and the long term extentions of such players as Trenton Hassell, and Troy Hudson, and many more mediocre players because of your irrational loyalty? You had absolutely no problem signing roster hampering contracts, literally causing the lockout in the late 90's nearly single handedly.

This is pretty pitiful considering you're criticizing him for taking a contract that got OFFERED TO HIM.

It's not like he sat there and preached: Give me the largest contract of all time or I'm gone!"

You make it sound like it's his fault that Minnesota couldn't put a good supporting cast around him.

mikantsass
05-14-2010, 02:07 PM
why not?
i personally would take:

jamison over lewis

mo will over nelson (they're pretty equal, but i like Mo because i think he's a perfect complement for someone like lebron).

Z + varejao + hickson over gortat + ryan anderson + bass

delonte west over jj reddick

barnes + pietrus is better than anthony parker + moon

and obviously, orlando has VC. and cleveland has shaq. they play different games, but the point is that they complement their star's game. inside/outside.
i guess VC > Shaq, but shaq does have more of an impact than stats sheet suggest.

and even then, the difference between VC and Shaq is made up by the rest of the advantage cavs have on the magic.

i say both cavs and magics supporting cast are equally good.

I completely disagree with most of this.

Rashard is head and shoulders above Jamison. This isnt 5 years ago.

Mo Williams is the most overrated guard in the NBA. Jameer Nelson is better than Mo and it isnt close.

Ilgauskis cant move, Varejao just flops and fouls, but Hickson is good. The combo of Gortat Bass and Anderson is clearly better lol.

JJ is a better shooter and defender than Delonte. JJ is actually playing very well this postseason while West has been invisible.

You are right on with Barnes & Pietrus

Vince clearly has more left in the tank than Shaq does...

Dwight's cast is MUCH MUCH MUCH better

Hawkeye15
05-14-2010, 02:09 PM
This is pretty pitiful considering you're criticizing him for taking a contract that got OFFERED TO HIM.

It's not like he sat there and preached: Give me the largest contract of all time or I'm gone!"

You make it sound like it's his fault that Minnesota couldn't put a good supporting cast around him.

Your gd right he holds some of that responsibility. Anyone who signs a major deal is guilty of this. Especially in a small market. I am not saying for a second that the front office in Minnesota wasn't just as responsible as KG for not being successful. His huge deal, and choking in the clutch was his fault. The front office wasting picks, and losing picks, and giving long term deals to scrubs was theirs.
Pitiful? please dude. I actually have followed his career every single day of his pro life. You were given KG as a present because we wanted to send him to a situation where he could win, and after the Ray Allen trade, it made sense.

zadora5
05-14-2010, 02:17 PM
no way it is.

my wife is way hotter then your girl =p

thescore53
i hope chris bosh isnt reading this

rapjuicer06

Mo Williams is the most overrated guard in the NBA. Jameer Nelson is better than Mo and it isnt close.

Ilgauskis cant move, Varejao just flops and fouls, but Hickson is good. The combo of Gortat Bass and Anderson is clearly better lol.

JJ is a better shooter and defender than Delonte. JJ is actually playing very well this postseason while West has been invisible.

the exact reason why orlando will beat the celtics

Tragedy
05-14-2010, 02:22 PM
can you blame him? winning feels a whole lot better.
Agreed. Minnesota is a beautiful state and all, but if you're not going to win it all, why bother?

shizzle09
05-14-2010, 02:28 PM

so technically since they can still back out no dynasty begins on July 1st. just sayin.

Big Quett
05-14-2010, 02:43 PM
As a Wolves fan, I respect that Garnett put us on the map, and he gave us his best years.
Now, Kevin, how are we to surround you in a small market while you are making $25 million a year? How are we to keep competitive when YOU are the one who wanted Mike James, and the long term extentions of such players as Trenton Hassell, and Troy Hudson, and many more mediocre players because of your irrational loyalty? You had absolutely no problem signing roster hampering contracts, literally causing the lockout in the late 90's nearly single handedly. You had no problem being paid like a superstar, and then disappearing in the clutch.
Kevin Garnett is/was/probably always will be an athletic icon in Minnesota. But he is the one that signed those ridiculous contracts, and influenced management into retaining role players at lots of money. Did the front office have a lot to do with it? The Joe Smith debatacle, the Jaric trade? Yes. But the point is, have some gratitude Garnett. We could just as easily shipped you to a situation where you were not going to win, you didn't have a no trade clause. But we choose to ship you to Boston following the Ray Allen trade, because it was thought that was the best situation to get you what you deserved, which was a ring. You got it. Shut up and thank Glen Taylor and the Wolves for paying you $170 million to be the greatest second banana in history.

But didnt Boston surround him with enough talent to win with him making 25 mil a year? And didnt he ask them before he signed the contract could they stay competitive with him signing the contract and they said yes?

celtisox41
05-14-2010, 03:03 PM

I don't know what you're talking about, minnesota sucked. They made it one year. Garnett was smart to want to leave

clehmun
05-14-2010, 03:06 PM

i can't tell if you're serious or not. if you are, then i guess we'll just agree to disagree.

but those are very biased comments IMO.

Hawkeye15
05-14-2010, 03:10 PM
But didnt Boston surround him with enough talent to win with him making 25 mil a year? And didnt he ask them before he signed the contract could they stay competitive with him signing the contract and they said yes?

Boston was a cellar dweller that accumulated a ton of young players, and were able to totally luck out timeline wise, and get two superstars at the beginning of their decline of their careers from teams that just couldn't get over the hump with them as the #1 guy. Ainge didn't all of a sudden become a top GM. He acquired assets in many young players and a high pick, and came from the most storied franchise, and capitalized on great, great timing.
And wouldn't you say yes? The Celtics didn't have the time for Jefferson/Telfair/Gomes/Green, etc to develop around Pierce, and the Wolves and Sonics didn't have the talent around their guys to do anything, and needed to rebuild. I wouldn't exactly credit Boston's front office on anything more than their great timing and luck

surf and turf
05-14-2010, 03:53 PM
What he said was if he knew then what he knows now about the Celts and their orginazation he would have made the move sooner. But where has he been for the last 60 years??? Who did he think they were....THE LAKERS...LOL...JUST KIDDING.

cwilson21
05-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Even as T'Wolves fan, it's easy to see where KG is coming from. Winning feels much better than losing and I'm sure he feels that he had a chance at a ring earlier in his career if he left. However, there's no way if he would've left in his prime, that he would've fallen in the great situation in which he was traded to. He could've left in free agency but like most other FA's, would've sought that huge payday and went to a mediocre team. He was lucky to be traded to a team with 2 perennial All Stars in Pierce and Allen that was ready to win year in and year out.

It's not like Minnesota was a terrible team when he was there. He was never in a situation like Roy Halladay was in Toronto. We made the playoffs 8 straight years with him including a WCF appearance which went south because of an untimely injury to Cassell who was playing incredible that year. I could see a little better where Garnett was coming from if he was like Halladay; a situation where you're one of the best players in the game but have never made the playoffs but Garnett made it most years he was in Minnesota.

As Hawk pointed out earlier, some of the faults management made was because of Garnett. Mike James, Hudson, Hassell, and Marbury is just as much the team's fault as KG's. We could've had Ray Allen but instead traded for Marbury since he was an electric PG and best friends with Garnett. If he didn't turn into a whiny little ***** who wanted to be the star of his own team, I believe him and KG would've won a couple rings in Minnesota (which would've ultimately made this new story by KG void). Marbury and KG were 19 and 20 years old respectively when they started playing together as T'Wolves and if anybody remembers, they were about as electric as any duo in the NBA. However, Marbury did turn into a whiny little ***** and ruined that plan. I don't blame KG for McHale's horrible drafting, the Joe Smith fiasco, etc. but he shoulders some blame when it comes to how the team was assembled. The Wolves tried to put pieces around KG (and did have some success doing so) but had to do so with one of the most inept GM's of all time and a massive contract that stood in the way.

Garnett could've left for another team earlier in his career but I guarantee he would've been in a similar situation where the team was left somewhat hampered by his outrageous contract and would've had to been perfect come draft time. Garnett was loyal to us but who isn't going to be loyal when you're handed $126 million? The Wolves were just as loyal to him as he was to them.

NetsPaint
05-14-2010, 04:06 PM
LeBron should sign with Minnesota to be their biggest star ever making KG cry.

ANKUSH
05-14-2010, 04:21 PM
"James is already way ahead of Garnett by 25, an age at which Garnett was still two years away from winning his first playoff series. James has won at least one playoff series for five consecutive years (the longest active streak in the league) and reached the conference finals twice and the NBA Finals once. "

It's statements like this one where I wonder if writers scour for hours for the most inane possible stats...just to make up for the fact that Lebron James has not won anything of any serious regard.

Hawkeye15
05-14-2010, 04:24 PM
LeBron should sign with Minnesota to be their biggest star ever making KG cry.

this is the best idea in the history of PSD

RaiderLakersA's
05-14-2010, 04:25 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/post/_/id/15905/you-cant-spell-king-without-kg

Garnett is basically saying loyalty kept him in Mn. He said if he could do it over he would of left sooner

One of the most honest assessments that I've heard from a player in a long, long time. This is the Garnett that fans like, not the one taunting other players from the sidelines.

thescore53
05-14-2010, 04:30 PM
guess bosh should get out before it's too late

Draco
05-14-2010, 04:45 PM

Depends on where you're going. It wasn't difficult for Shaq who said he felt like a big fish in a little pond in Orlando.

Oefarmy2005
05-15-2010, 12:48 AM

I disagree with almost everything besides Carter and Shaq. Also, I would say Lebron is better than Dwight, and that also balances it out a bit. You can say what ever you want, but we are talking about 2 60 win teams here. This is my opinion, the talent on the rosters is pretty even, but Orlando plays better team basketball and have better fitting players. Talent vs talent, I think they are on par. And I, by the way, picked Orlando to come out of the east after their first series. Now, if Rondo plays the way he's been lately, Orlando may also see an early exit.

MaHaRaJaH
05-15-2010, 12:52 AM
guess bosh should get out before it's too late

Read The Sig.

JiffyMix88
05-15-2010, 01:02 AM
i think he is telling lebron to leave so he can play for his home town team(chicago) which i hopE doesnt happen but anyways a lot of ppl respected KG because of this and i wonder what they would of said had he left....

Bulls_fan90
05-15-2010, 01:43 AM
i think he is telling lebron to leave so he can play for his home town team(chicago) which i hop doesnt happen but anyways a lot of ppl respected KG because of this and i wonder what they would of said had he left....

You obviously don't know a thing about basketball.

JiffyMix88
05-15-2010, 02:47 AM
You obviously don't know a thing about basketball.

sure because me not wanting my favorite team's rival's best player to join ours makes me no nothing about basketball :rolleyes:....sry but i would like to continue hating lebron and sry im not like you and go from hating a guy to grinding on his nuts

Bulls_fan90
05-15-2010, 02:53 AM
sure because me not wanting my favorite team's rival's best player to join ours makes me no nothing about basketball :rolleyes:....sry but i would like to continue hating lebron and sry im not like you and go from hating a guy to grinding on his nuts

That makes no sense. How can you not want the best player in the NBA on your team? You argument is even more pathetic than i thought.

JiffyMix88
05-15-2010, 03:00 AM
That makes no sense. How can you not want the best player in the NBA on your team? You argument is even more pathetic than i thought.

sry that i hated him for getting ***** calls and arguing with the refs to force them to call little touch fouls and his dancing and his arrogance and everything about him and i dont want him to bring that to my favorite team. idc if he is the best player and its not an argument its my opinion i dont want that on my favorite team the only thing i will argue with you about is me not knowing basketball because i dont want the nba historys biggest duesch. and what ur telling me is just because hes the nbas best player we need to have him on our team? how has that worked for cleveland? we can still become a powerhouse with the other max fas this summer

Korman12
05-15-2010, 03:06 AM
Man this makes complete sense.

Korman12
05-15-2010, 03:07 AM
sry that i hated him for getting ***** calls and arguing with the refs to force them to call little touch fouls and his dancing and his arrogance and everything about him and i dont want him to bring that to my favorite team. idc if he is the best player and its not an argument its my opinion i dont want that on my favorite team the only thing i will argue with you about is me not knowing basketball because i dont want the nba historys biggest duesch. and what ur telling me is just because hes the nbas best player we need to have him on our team? how has that worked for cleveland? we can still become a powerhouse with the other max fas this summer

You already had Rodman, I think you'd be fine.

dodie53
05-15-2010, 03:07 AM

ding
ding
winner!

Bulls_fan90
05-15-2010, 03:09 AM

Ok fair enough, and i apologise for saying you don't know a thing about basketball. I also agree that he is a cockhead BUT so was Jordan. Jordan may have been the most arrogant player in the history of the game. But im sure every other fan would have given anything to have him on their team. That's how i feel about Lebron. He's a great player and i hate him on the Cavs...but if he puts on a Bulls jersey we become instant contenders for the next decade. So that's my opinion anyway.

JiffyMix88
05-15-2010, 03:17 AM
Ok fair enough, and i apologise for saying you don't know a thing about basketball. I also agree that he is a cockhead BUT so was Jordan. Jordan may have been the most arrogant player in the history of the game. But im sure every other fan would have given anything to have him on their team. That's how i feel about Lebron. He's a great player and i hate him on the Cavs...but if he puts on a Bulls jersey we become instant contenders for the next decade. So that's my opinion anyway.

respect. if he did come it would take me a while to start rooting for him but if he just came in and just PLAYED basketball i think it would be easier for me to root for him but it still hard for me to vision how things would work out with him and rose in our lineup cause everyone knows lebron likes to run the point forward but hopefully we get a good enough coach who can make a great scheme to work for those two

iggypop123
05-15-2010, 05:05 AM
KG forgot to mention the part where he had the biggest contract at the time period and got paid well. that made him stay. but mchale took care of him in the trade

JiffyMix88
05-15-2010, 05:09 AM
KG forgot to mention the part where he had the biggest contract at the time period and got paid well. that made him stay. but mchale took care of him in the trade

if kg realistically wanted out he could of gotten out

alencp3
05-15-2010, 06:40 AM

Dude what happened to the previous signature this one seriously sucks,Drogba is the biggest cheater and diver :pity:

magichatnumber9
05-15-2010, 07:54 AM
Garnett is wooing Lebron to Boston. He just might do it now that he realizes how healthy KG is and how efficient Rondo can be. Take the mid level and we will surround you mayne

thescore53
05-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Read The Sig.

too lazy to put the link,

JasonJohnHorn
05-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Well, the T-Wolves woes were not all a result of Garnett's contract (bad drafting, bad free agent signings and bad trades until the Spreewell/Cassell season). But lets face it, Garnett's only reason for staying in Minny wasnt loyalty: it was money!

His contract restricted who they could bring in. If Garnett hadnt been so "loyal", he wouldnt have made nearly as much money anywhere else. I dont know any other team's with cap space that would have signed him.

bottom line is: any team spending half their payroll on one player, is not going to be able to afford to bring in any other real talent.

If a guy like James, or Garnett, or a top tier all-star wanted to take a pay cut, then they could hop on to a contender and play for a title. Otherwise you have to wait and be patient and build through the draft.

and just like Garnett said his loyalty didnt pay off, we could also imagine how things would have turned out if some other players were loyal: McGrady? Had he stayed in Toronto he would have been playing with Carter in a his prime on a team that pushed the 76ers to game seven, and with McGrady would have been too much for the 76ers to handle, and would have provided match up problems for LA in the finals since they would have had 2 wing players (Carter and McGrady) and only Kobe to defend them. And had he been loyal for Orlando, he would be playing with Howard right now.

Kobe was loyal, no? and what did he get? Four rings. Duncan was loyal, what did he get? 4 rings. Dumars? Thomas? 2 rings. Jordan? 6 rings. Pippen? 6 rings. And how many rings did the two of them win when they left Chi-town? Zero.

sure, Stockton, Reggie Miller, these guys retired without winning, but ring chasers who traded loyalties for championships hopes ended losing out on both ends: Karl Malone, McGrady, and many others have missed out.

Garnet's personal experience is one example. Winning a title is as much about chance as it is about talent an work ethic. There is no set rule. Garnet's situation is not proof that loyalty is wrong, loyalty has paid off for guys like Kobe, Magic, Worthy, Bird, Jordan, Pippen, duncan, Dumars, and jumping ship has paid off for Shaq, Kareem, and other.s And yes loyalty has not paid off for Dirk, Miller and Stockton, but jumping ship didnt help Gervin, Malone or McGrady.

Every situation is differnet, and Garnet wanst complaining when he was cashing those huge checks.

As for me, I'd rather be mention along with: Russell, Duncan, Bird, Magic, Jordan, Bryant, Robinson, Pippen, Dumars and Thomas than just about anybody else. That is some pretty good company. And I know I would rather be mention alongside: Stockton, Miller and Dirk than McGrady and Carter.

Big Game Son
05-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks Kevin for stating the obvious.

P.S. Again Kevin is stabbing the Timberwolves in the back considering they treated him great in his tenure there, but Kevin being a knob isnt something to be shocked about.

NBAfan4life
05-15-2010, 11:37 AM

Not exactly telling him to leave just not to stay because it is his hometown, or any sense of loyalty

It kinda was that was not the only reason Mn could not compete but it def played a big part

Boston was a cellar dweller that accumulated a ton of young players, and were able to totally luck out timeline wise, and get two superstars at the beginning of their decline of their careers from teams that just couldn't get over the hump with them as the #1 guy. Ainge didn't all of a sudden become a top GM. He acquired assets in many young players and a high pick, and came from the most storied franchise, and capitalized on great, great timing.
And wouldn't you say yes? The Celtics didn't have the time for Jefferson/Telfair/Gomes/Green, etc to develop around Pierce, and the Wolves and Sonics didn't have the talent around their guys to do anything, and needed to rebuild. I wouldn't exactly credit Boston's front office on anything more than their great timing and luck

The only thing besides great timing and luck that was super smart about those Ainge deals was him refusing Rondo. It we could of gotten Rondo and Jefferson it is possible we would not be so terrible

MJ-BULLS
05-15-2010, 12:15 PM
hmm.....

lebron should take it as advice. :rolleyes:

Hawkeye15
05-15-2010, 03:42 PM
The only thing besides great timing and luck that was super smart about those Ainge deals was him refusing Rondo. It we could of gotten Rondo and Jefferson it is possible we would not be so terrible

Obviously getting Rondo would have been great. However, I don't think Rondo develops on a bad team like he has with the Celtics.
And I still think Minnesota got a good deal. It took them 3 steps back, but they are full of assets, money, picks, and young talent now. If they held onto KG, they would be a 40 win team destined to mediocracy for years. At least they have an upside now.