PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Hawks fire Mike Woodson

king4day
05-14-2010, 12:07 PM
"The Hawks have parted ways with Mike Woodson. Official announcement will come this afternoon."

http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

The Hawks parted ways with Mike Woodson Friday morning, ending his coaching tenure with the franchise after six seasons.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/05/14/hawks.woodson.out/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

EDIT: Adding NBA.com link

beasted86
05-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Makes sense.

Next up... Mike Brown.

DenButsu
05-14-2010, 12:08 PM
After six seasons on job, Woodson done as Hawks' coach

By Sekou Smith, NBA.com
Posted May 14 2010 11:52AM - Updated May 14 2010 12:05PM

ATLANTA -- The Hawks parted ways with Mike Woodson Friday morning, ending his coaching tenure with the franchise after six seasons.

Woodson was informed in a Friday morning meeting with Hawks' management that that he would not be offered a new contract after leading the Hawks to three straight playoff appearances in his final three seasons.

The team is expected to make an official announcement this afternoon.

Woodson's contract expired Monday, forcing the Hawks to make a quick decision. Woodson is now free to explore his options with a half dozen coaching vacancies around the league, while the Hawks embark on a search of their own for his replacement.

Woodson led the Hawks to 37, 47 and 53 wins in his final three seasons and back-to-back appearances in the Eastern Conference semifinals, where they were swept both times. The Hawks won just 13 games in his first season, 2004-05, but improved their record in each of his five seasons after that. He finished with a 206-286 record (.419).

Woodson's 11-18 postseason record, though, is what ultimately cost him his job with the Hawks. He guided the Hawks to their first playoff appearance in more than a decade three seasons ago, when the Hawks pushed the eventual champion Boston Celtics to seven games in a first-round series.

The Hawks continued to improve in each of the next two seasons, snagging top-four seeds in the Eastern Conference playoff chase and the home-court advantage that comes with it.

But they had to win Game 7s both times, against Miami in 2009 and Milwaukee this season, before being swept in the conference semifinals by Cleveland in 2009 and Orlando earlier this week.

Complicating matters for the Hawks is the impending free agency of four-time All-Star and team captain Joe Johnson, who will join LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh in the celebrated summer class of 2010.

Johnson has already stated that he will explore his options this summer, with a potential return to the Hawks being one of them. It was under Woodson that Johnson blossomed from a fourth option in Phoenix and into an All-Star anchor for the Hawks, grabbed Johnson in a sign-and-trade deal in the summer of 2005.
nba.com (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/05/14/hawks.woodson.out/)

fairandbalanced
05-14-2010, 12:10 PM
lol........He's an idiot, they offered him an extension and totally dissed management by rejecting it.

MJ-BULLS
05-14-2010, 12:11 PM
He's one bad coach.

His x's and o's are terrible.

DMasta718
05-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Had to happen.

Jetsguy
05-14-2010, 12:14 PM
They will regret that decision. Woody is a GREAT coach and took that franchise from the Clippers of the East into a serious contender over the last 5 years.

beasted86
05-14-2010, 12:15 PM
lol........He's an idiot, they offered him an extension and totally dissed management by rejecting it.

I think you have it mixed up. The Hawks reportedly refused to offer an extension to him or his staff, and that's what had him upset the whole season.

DenButsu
05-14-2010, 12:16 PM
They can have Adrian Dantley, if they want him.

fairandbalanced
05-14-2010, 12:17 PM
I think you have it mixed up. The Hawks reportedly refused to offer an extension to him or his staff, and that's what had him upset the whole season.

Thanks for correcting me, he never said that....I must have been thinking about someone else. Thanks.

Raidaz4Life
05-14-2010, 12:17 PM
I've always thought he was a pretty poor coach.

*Superman*
05-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Lol about time. Him and Mike Brown would put Lil Jon's hype down.

Sly Guy
05-14-2010, 12:19 PM
They will regret that decision. Woody is a GREAT coach and took that franchise from the Clippers of the East into a serious contender over the last 5 years.

but a player development coach isn't always the right choice to win a championship. Sometimes it takes a new voice to turn development into dominance.

Raph12
05-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks for correcting me, he never said that....I must have been thinking about someone else. Thanks.

You were thinking Joe Johnson, he was offered a 4yr/$60mil contract and he turned it down.

Mike Woodson may not be an elite coach, but now they'll definitely fall back into mediocrity again.

*Silver&Black*
05-14-2010, 12:22 PM

Dude I watch Woody I guess what you like to call "coach" 82 games a year, and what he does is not coach. I feel for him, but time to finally get a coach who would light a fire under Josh Smith.

*Silver&Black*
05-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Lol about time. Him and Mike Brown would put Lil Jon's hype down.

This. :D Heck Mike Brown has more than Woody. Mike Brown jumps up and down, while Woody shaves his eyebrows. Nice coaching.

GSW Hoops
05-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Not too surprising.

HOZ THE KNICK
05-14-2010, 12:27 PM
i saw this coming

king4day
05-14-2010, 12:33 PM
That same twitter says Dan Majerle might be a sleeper candidate for the hawks. "Rick Sund is impressed with him"

Carey
05-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Hopefully whoever they get to coach next will insire them to play with more fire and run some sets to better utilize their talent on offense.

king4day
05-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Looking at the team, I think D'Antoni would be a great coach for the Hawks.
He has young athletic players. Bibby can still distribute. Though, if they could trade JJ for Tony Parker, then they'd really fit that style well.
Pipe dream.

DMasta718
05-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Hawks needs a coach that is tough. If a player makes a mistake or you are down, yell or something. Hawks never really ran a set offense.

Jetsguy
05-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Dude I watch Woody I guess what you like to call "coach" 82 games a year, and what he does is not coach. I feel for him, but time to finally get a coach who would light a fire under Josh Smith.

Josh Smith is one of the most un-coachable players in the league you cant blame his struggles on Woodson

*Silver&Black*
05-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Josh Smith is one of the most un-coachable players in the league you cant blame his struggles on Woodson

Well Woody isn't a good coach, so wait until a coach who could light fires under people coach Smith before you go on saying stuff like that. Woody was a friend coach to them.

Raph12
05-14-2010, 12:57 PM

Get Larry Brown and he becomes coachable, if you can get juice out of Tyrus Thomas, you can definitely get it out of Josh Smith.

GSW Hoops
05-14-2010, 12:58 PM

Agreed. Not sure many coaches could light a fire under that guy's butt.

tdunk21
05-14-2010, 12:59 PM
bad decision....fire josh smith for runnin his mouth in the bucks series and fire joe johnson for ripping the fans...

crazygolucky
05-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Hawks never really ran a set offense.

this is true. Hawks just ran isolation plays over and over.... you cant run an offense strictly on iso's.

Jetsguy
05-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Well Woody isn't a good coach, so wait until a coach who could light fires under people coach Smith before you go on saying stuff like that. Woody was a friend coach to them.

Get Larry Brown and he becomes coachable, if you can get juice out of Tyrus Thomas, you can definitely get it out of Josh Smith.

Can you show me how Woody isnt a good coach? or just because they got crushed by Orlando? Woody has improved that team EVERY year for 5 years straight how many others have done that?

I am not just saying that, I know it to be fact. And Larry Brown is no different than Woodson, as a matter of fact Woody is a Larry pretege and you heard it here first if Larry Brown takes an executive role with the sixers (Gm/pres etc.) then mark my words Mike Woodson will be the next HC of the 76ers.

If any of you think that without Joe (who by the way has told Woody that if he is gone now way is he coming back) and Woodson the Hawks are going to be any better you are crazy. They have a Gm in Sund who is a horrible drafter and an organization that refuses to sign quality FA's in the offseason.

Raph12
05-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Can you show me how Woody isnt a good coach? or just because they got crushed by Orlando? Woody has improved that team EVERY year for 5 years straight how many others have done that?

I am not just saying that, I know it to be fact. And Larry Brown is no different than Woodson, as a matter of fact Woody is a Larry pretege and you heard it here first if Larry Brown takes an executive role with the sixers (Gm/pres etc.) then mark my words Mike Woodson will be the next HC of the 76ers.

If any of you think that without Joe (who by the way has told Woody that if he is gone now way is he coming back) and Woodson the Hawks are going to be any better you are crazy. They have a Gm in Sund who is a horrible drafter and an organization that refuses to sign quality FA's in the offseason.

I never said he was a bad coach, I was the one who said the Hawks would fall back into mediocrity now that he's been fired... I just said Larry was better at getting the most out of his guys.

zadora5
05-14-2010, 01:28 PM
although i don't like woody i blame the hawks managment... it's time to blow up there roster and let joe johnson go....

tangent12
05-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Can't say i didn't see it coming. Mike had no control over that team whatsoever.

ugafan
05-14-2010, 01:33 PM
While he's not a terrible coach, he's not the right coach for the Hawks personnel. It had to happen and it's best for both sides.

GoatMilk
05-14-2010, 01:35 PM
they didnt fire him, they just won't retain him. his contract expired

you don't cut a player once his contract expires, you just don't re-sign him
same thing

abe_froman
05-14-2010, 01:36 PM
no surprise here

Trouble87
05-14-2010, 01:52 PM
I always admired what Mike Woodson has done in Atlanta

Hawks will regret this decision

AI4MVP
05-14-2010, 02:21 PM
mike woodson was a TERRIBLE coach. with all that talent, if bogut wasnt hurt the bucks wouldnt ****ed them up

Iodine
05-14-2010, 02:26 PM
He is a middle of the pack coach, but he isnt someone who will light the fire under anyone and be assertive to boneheads when they lose due to stupid plays

Iodine
05-14-2010, 02:30 PM

You should pray that Derek does not see that

DerekRE_3
05-14-2010, 02:36 PM
You should pray that Derek does not see that

I saw it.

1. It's protege, not pretege.
2. The only difference between the two is I dunno...an NBA Championship, an NCAA championship, one is a coaching legend, the other isn't, and one is a HOF-er, the other one isn't. Besides that, yeah, they are pretty much the same. And just because Woodson learned under Brown doesn't mean that he is as good as Brown. Using that logic Kurt Rambis is as good of a coach as Phil Jackson. Ruh oh.

Larry Brown is one of the best teachers of the game of basketball. To compare him to Mike Woodson is disgusting.

Iodine
05-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Dooooouuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrreaak!

ripjhb18
05-14-2010, 02:39 PM
I saw it.

2. The only difference between the two is I dunno...an NBA Championship, an NCAA championship, one is a coaching legend, the other isn't, and one is a HOF-er, the other one isn't. Besides that, yeah, they are pretty much the same. And just because Woodson learned under Brown doesn't mean that he is as good as Brown. Using that logic Kurt Rambis is as good of a coach as Phil Jackson. Ruh oh.

Larry Brown is one of the best teachers of the game of basketball. To compare him to Mike Woodson is disgusting.

What he said.

What a huge insult to Larry Brown. Brown is more on a level with Jackson than Woodson.

mavwar53
05-14-2010, 02:53 PM
There's a difference in being fired and not getting an extension

SoloDolo
05-14-2010, 02:53 PM

I really don't think its worth arguing w/ you about it because you haven't had to endure watching Woodson's coaching, if you wanna call it that, over the past 5 years. to your credit we have seen a steady increase in wins every year but still have consistently had one the worst half court offenses in the league. We have a coach who relied on JJ to just run an iso and score on his own. And it worked well when your playing in the regular season. But Woodson's true colors have shown the past two playoff runs when Joe is shooting 37% and we have the worst series sweep in playoff history. We have reached are peak with him and it was time for him to leave....thank goodness!

RadiantShot
05-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Hahah.

Jetsguy
05-14-2010, 03:19 PM
I saw it.

1. get real with the spelling correction
2. I am not saying they have the same credentials I realize Brown has a ring although if you want to get technical so does Woody since he was an assistant on that team. I am saying particularly regarding motivating Josh Smith which is what the original conversation was about they are no different. The original argument of mine was that the Hawks will regret this move he is a good coach.

No one care about your Larry Brown nuthugging dude

Iodine
05-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Wow your hardcore!
I mean being proven your point was very wrong means he is a nut hugger
and yeah dude spelling isn't important when your point is idiotic

cmellofan15
05-14-2010, 03:53 PM
2. I am not saying they have the same credentials I realize Brown has a ring although if you want to get technical so does Woody since he was an assistant on that team. I am saying particularly regarding motivating Josh Smith which is what the original conversation was about they are no different. The original argument of mine was that the Hawks will regret this move he is a good coach.

this sentence makes no sense.

and yes they will regret not doing this sooner. they were just victimized by the Magic (most lopsided playoff series ever) and barely beat the Bucks without their best player on the court.

cmellofan15
05-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Wow your hardcore!
I mean being proven your point was very wrong means he is a nut hugger
and yeah dude spelling isn't important when your point is idiotic

don't forget about his terrible grammar.

"no one care about your Larry Brown nuthugging dude"

DerekRE_3
05-14-2010, 04:07 PM

I doubt it, I'm sure Woodson did a good job with Smith but Brown is the best teacher in the game, just ask Chauncey Billups. Give Brown 2 years with Josh Smith and...wow. In two years he turned Gerald Wallace into an all star and 1st team all defensive player, think of what he could do with Smith, who is an even bigger freak of nature than Wallace.

infamouskrs
05-14-2010, 04:11 PM
LISTEN~ Woodson WAS NOT the reason for the Hawks yearly increase in wins...RAW TALENT WAS. when you have the kind of athletes this team has...you are bound to get better the longer the team stays together...especially in the Eastern Conference. :eyebrow:

JUST IMAGINE how good they would have been with a coach that understands your starters can't always play 45+ minutes a game every night, you have to develop your bench. a coach who actually has had HEAD COACHING EXPERIENCE before accepting a head coaching job. a coach that understands "isolation" basketball is for AND1 street teams and should only be used when mismatches happen on the pro level....not 3.5 quarters of every game.

this Hawks team needs a GENERAL. a guy who demands respect....gives respect...and who knows how to utilize the team's strengths ! you know what's funny....JJ carried himself as a player the EXACT same way Woody coached...quiet, calm, and unable to perform under pressure. WE MIGHT BE ALOT BETTER WITHOUT BOTH OF THEM~ :shrug:

Jays Claw
05-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Mike Woodson may not be an elite coach, but for now they'll definitely fall back into mediocrity again.

I agree.

Mike Woodson is a coach built for the regular season. He wasn't very sharp in the playoffs as his team barely got past round one. The Hawks will fall back next season because Mike Woodson and Joe Johnson won't be there.

Mike Brown on the other hand, is a product of LeBron James.

td0tsfinest
05-14-2010, 04:59 PM
With how things ended, I'd be surprised if Joe Johnson resigned with the team. So if he does leave, it makes the coaching position less attractive.

MrFastBreak
05-14-2010, 05:43 PM
I always thought Woody was a good coach and also thought he had his flaws. The Hawks never finished better than 12th in the league in defensive efficiency largely because Woody was most comfortable turning the offense over to veteran point guards. Since the Hawks are known to switch on almost every screen, opposing teams took advantage of this defensive predictability to create whichever matchup they wanted and/or to pull Smith and Horford away from the basket. It proved just as damaging as the isolation-heavy offensive sets which too often failed to trouble sound defensive clubs in the postseason. Throughout his tenure with ATL, Woody was quite capable of installing a gameplan but he has failed to make successful adjustments when teams nullified that plan and that, right there is the cause for the Hawks unproductive play in the playoffs and Joe Johnson sure didn't come to aid.

Kakaroach
05-14-2010, 06:43 PM
I support this firing, he just wasn't good. One key thing was what Charles Barkley said after that embarrassing Game 1 loss to the Magic. Mike Woodson didn't seem mad at all. If your a coach, you have to get pissed off and expect more of your team.

Voodoo Alchemy
05-14-2010, 06:56 PM
now he can grow his hair back.