PDA

View Full Version : The Celtics Have Proven: You Can Only Coast In Regular Season If You're In The East

ko8e24
05-14-2010, 02:42 AM
The #4 seed in the East, 50-32 Boston Celtics (aka, if in the West, and they had the record, they would be fighting w/ Portland, San Antonio and Oklahoma City for one of the final 3 spots in the West).

They have proven that you can basically coast through the regular season. You can have peaks, but you can also have many many valleys, still manage to get one of the top 4 seeds in the East (to at the very least have HCA in the 1st rd).

Kevin Garnett was on one knee, Paul Pierce's knees and shoulder were mest up, Big Baby missed the first 21 games of the season, there were chemistry issues with Rondo running the point, Ray Allen had lost his shooting touch, etc. etc.

Even Doc Rivers said that the Celtics only needed one of the top four seeds in the East, and everyone healthy to make a title run.

If you were in the West, you have to be on your heels 95% of the time (the other 5% of the time you're playing scrubs), and you cannot afford to coast through the season, no matter how talented you are in the West. You have to fight, claw, scratch your way to the best seed that you can. You will be lucky to have 50 wins and make the playoffs. It's ridiculous out West.

While the West teams are healthy to begin the season and as the season progresses, they get physically weaker and weaker and there is barely any time or afford for injured players to rest or takes games off in the West. When they don't rest, they aggravate injuries or build on them with newer injuries, and by the time the playoffs roll around in the West, everyone is too banged up or are missing key components on their team to make a serious run at a championship.

It's the total opposite in the East. You can have hurting all-stars from the season prior or during the offseason, or have your star players get hurt early on in the season, and they can take nights off in the less competitive Eastern Conference because their schedule and difficulty level of competition is significantly lower than the West and it allows them to take that necessary rest to prevent from aggravation of injuries. They're banged up in the regular season, but they have enough time and opportunities throughout the season to heal and when the playoffs roll around in the East, it's as if they have been given NEW LIFE.

What we are seeing in the NBA playoffs with close to 100% healthy East teams as opposed to depleted 75-85% healthy West teams is what the nature of the NBA has become unfortunately.

Thoughts.

ldc62
05-14-2010, 02:48 AM
Cavs coasted in the regular season too.

ko8e24
05-14-2010, 02:54 AM
Cavs coasted in the regular season too.

Yeah, because they are in the East. Am I missing something here?

RipVW
05-14-2010, 02:54 AM
Wow, again with the Celtics. Why dont we dig uo that thread about how the Celtics suck at closing out a series.

ko8e24
05-14-2010, 02:58 AM
Wow, again with the Celtics. Why dont we dig uo that thread about how the Celtics suck at closing out a series.

:confused::confused::confused:

I created that thread because it was an interesting statistic on these Celtics the last 3 seasons.

I created LeBron threads that one day and I got crucified. Then, I decide to create a non-LeBron thread for once because everyone else was creating 15 LeBron threads. And now, for the non-LeBron thread, I'm being crucified.

Damn, now I know how Kobe Bryant feels with the amount of shots he shoots.

You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't.

**** yall.

Sadds The Gr8
05-14-2010, 03:03 AM
okay...point?

_KB24_
05-14-2010, 03:08 AM
The East has been a joke the last 10 years with the exception of maybe this year. The Western Conference seems to always have 10 COMPETITIVE teams who can all end up anywhere from 1-8.

Lindystud36
05-14-2010, 03:11 AM
I see his point, the Eastern teams have a greater advantage when it comes to the playoffs. Its like having two baseball teams, team A has to pitch their ace on three days rest for his last five starts just to make the playoffs, but team B has the ability to rest their ace for one of his starts, then only let him go 6 innings in his last start. Even if team A's pitcher is that much better, and considering the elite are al pretty elite, the advantage goes to the player with rest, therefore creating a greater advantage for the east.

Sadds The Gr8
05-14-2010, 03:11 AM
The East has been a joke the last 10 years with the exception of maybe this year. The Western Conference seems to always have 10 COMPETITIVE teams who can all end up anywhere from 1-8.

Okay but that's nothing new. Basketball fans, especially on NBA forums, already know that...

THE MTL
05-14-2010, 03:12 AM
I wouldnt say coasting cause the Celtics have still beaten Western conference teams time and time again.

But certain teams are built for playoffs like Celtics and Spurs

_KB24_
05-14-2010, 03:13 AM
Okay but that's nothing new. Basketball fans, especially on NBA forums, already know that...

It kind of goes hand-and-hand with the title? Lackluster conference from 4-8 in the East=Coasting :eyebrow:

ko8e24
05-14-2010, 03:16 AM

If you take into account of everything that I wrote, and really look at it objectively (I don't know if you're a fan of a West team or an East team), you will realize the argument I am making about the whole "injury thing" and where you can afford to take nights off in the East as opposed to the West, which has an overbearing effect on those injuries in the long-run (aka the postseason, especially when you go deep into them).

iggypop123
05-14-2010, 03:18 AM
the thunder were an 8th seed. they probably are light years ahead of atlanta a 3rd seed. thats the east for you

Sadds The Gr8
05-14-2010, 03:24 AM
It kind of goes hand-and-hand with the title? Lackluster conference from 4-8 in the East=Coasting :eyebrow:

If you take into account of everything that I wrote, and really look at it objectively (I don't know if you're a fan of a West team or an East team), you will realize the argument I am making about the whole "injury thing" and where you can afford to take nights off in the East as opposed to the West, which has an overbearing effect on those injuries in the long-run (aka the postseason, especially when you go deep into them).

Are you trying to say that it's easier to win the title if you're in the East because your team gets more rest due to coasting? Because if that was the case, then wouldn't the Eastern teams have won the last several titles, instead of it goin back and forth?

...Did you guys just find out that the East has sucked for the last several years today?:confused:

Boston Faithful
05-14-2010, 03:30 AM
This is a pointless thread.

The East dominated the 90's and the West dominated the 2000's. Big deal. It's a new decade. The 5th and 6th seed in the East won 47 and 46 games. The Bobcats won 44 and Chicago 41.

That's pretty normal. The West just happened to have 8 50 win teams, which is unheard of. But nobody cared, because the Lakers were far and above better than all of the other 7. At least in the East you had three interesting teams (Magic, Celts, Cavs). The West has had no storylines in the playoffs besides the Lakers dominating everyone.

The original poster is just trying to rag on the Celtics, I wonder why.

PatsSoxKnicks
05-14-2010, 03:30 AM
The #4 seed in the East, 50-32 Boston Celtics (aka, if in the West, and they had the record, they would be fighting w/ Portland, San Antonio and Oklahoma City for one of the final 3 spots in the West).

They have proven that you can basically coast through the regular season. You can have peaks, but you can also have many many valleys, still manage to get one of the top 4 seeds in the East (to at the very least have HCA in the 1st rd).

Kevin Garnett was on one knee, Paul Pierce's knees and shoulder were mest up, Big Baby missed the first 21 games of the season, there were chemistry issues with Rondo running the point, Ray Allen had lost his shooting touch, etc. etc.

Even Doc Rivers said that the Celtics only needed one of the top four seeds in the East, and everyone healthy to make a title run.

If you were in the West, you have to be on your heels 95% of the time (the other 5% of the time you're playing scrubs), and you cannot afford to coast through the season, no matter how talented you are in the West. You have to fight, claw, scratch your way to the best seed that you can. You will be lucky to have 50 wins and make the playoffs. It's ridiculous out West.

While the West teams are healthy to begin the season and as the season progresses, they get physically weaker and weaker and there is barely any time or afford for injured players to rest or takes games off in the West. When they don't rest, they aggravate injuries or build on them with newer injuries, and by the time the playoffs roll around in the West, everyone is too banged up or are missing key components on their team to make a serious run at a championship.

It's the total opposite in the East. You can have hurting all-stars from the season prior or during the offseason, or have your star players get hurt early on in the season, and they can take nights off in the less competitive Eastern Conference because their schedule and difficulty level of competition is significantly lower than the West and it allows them to take that necessary rest to prevent from aggravation of injuries. They're banged up in the regular season, but they have enough time and opportunities throughout the season to heal and when the playoffs roll around in the East, it's as if they have been given NEW LIFE.

What we are seeing in the NBA playoffs with close to 100% healthy East teams as opposed to depleted 75-85% healthy West teams is what the nature of the NBA has become unfortunately.

Thoughts.

This is all true. And no offense but it is sort of obvious.

PatsSoxKnicks
05-14-2010, 03:35 AM
This is a pointless thread.

The East dominated the 90's and the West dominated the 2000's. Big deal. It's a new decade. The 5th and 6th seed in the East won 47 and 46 games. The Bobcats won 44 and Chicago 41.

That's pretty normal. The West just happened to have 8 50 win teams, which is unheard of. But nobody cared, because the Lakers were far and above better than all of the other 7. At least in the East you had three interesting teams (Magic, Celts, Cavs). The West has had no storylines in the playoffs besides the Lakers dominating everyone.

The original poster is just trying to rag on the Celtics, I wonder why.

I don't know if he's trying to rag on the Celts, at least I didn't see it.

But it does seem like a pretty pointless thread, it's no secret the East is worse, its been that way for awhile.

Chronz
05-14-2010, 03:43 AM
In the end what matters is the playoff road, you can slack off in the east but only because you NEED to be healthy to take on the EAST BIG 3. Think about the road the C's have to take to get to the title. They have to beat Bron, Dwight and Kobe. Whereas Kobe takes on an infant Thunder squad, broken down Jazz, and a depleted Suns squad.

ko8e24
05-14-2010, 03:47 AM
This is all true. And no offense but it is sort of obvious.

No offense taken.

MaHaRaJaH
05-14-2010, 03:57 AM
I think this just shows having the best team isn't enough any more.

Hellcrooner
05-14-2010, 04:06 AM
i say lets wait to say these kind of things until our players have their gold rings and are parading at figeroa.

Otherwise if we end up screwing against suns or east finalist we are going to be hearing mockery until june 2011

Adzman
05-14-2010, 04:37 AM
The record books only care who wins the championship. East/West, who cares.

Rings are all that matters. Never discredit a championship team, no matter what conference they come from, or your opinion on the supposed strength of a conference.

sventhedog
05-14-2010, 07:29 AM
:confused::confused::confused:

I created that thread because it was an interesting statistic on these Celtics the last 3 seasons.

I created LeBron threads that one day and I got crucified. Then, I decide to create a non-LeBron thread for once because everyone else was creating 15 LeBron threads. And now, for the non-LeBron thread, I'm being crucified.

Damn, now I know how Kobe Bryant feels with the amount of shots he shoots.

You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't.

**** yall.

but you can live and die with kobe's shots. you just die with lebron's shots. lol.

surf and turf
05-14-2010, 07:50 AM
i say lets wait to say these kind of things until our players have their gold rings and are parading at figeroa.

Otherwise if we end up screwing against suns or east finalist we are going to be hearing mockery until june 2011

It wouldnt be screwing up if you faced the Celtics it would be the continuation of destiny. Which is why most Celtic fans are pulling for the Lakers. Besides Magics Baby hook they just cant seem to beat the Celtics in the big show.

Aar684
05-14-2010, 07:57 AM
This is terribly pointless. Are you really complaining because the Lakers are in the west?

The Celtics are a veteran team that knew what they needed to do to make the playoffs. Once a team like that gets there, things change. Stop crying.

magichatnumber9
05-14-2010, 07:57 AM
What's the point of this failed thread. C's were not healthy, oh well. The timing just seems off for this.

PrettyBoyJ
05-14-2010, 07:59 AM
evryone knows the east is weak.. and if the playoff was jus the best 16 teams prob be jus the top 4 in the east..

surf and turf
05-14-2010, 08:04 AM

Thoughts.

Are you seriously making excuses already. Or is this a excuse for the the last time the Celts beat up on the Lakers in the Finals. Or is it a excuse for everytime the Celts beat up on the Lakers in the Finals?? Boston went 25-5 before the injury bug set in. Their only intentions were to coast to home court through out. Do you think they enjoy playing on the road when their homecourt reputation is iconic to say the least.

R. Johnson#3
05-14-2010, 08:07 AM
I hope whoever makes it to the finals in the east sweeps the series.

JordansBulls
05-14-2010, 08:09 AM

Thoughts.

I'm sure the Lakers wouldn't had wanted to play the Celtics in round 1 either.

kozelkid
05-14-2010, 08:11 AM
the thunder were an 8th seed. they probably are light years ahead of atlanta a 3rd seed. thats the east for you

Definitely disagree. I'd say they were fairly equal. People love to hate Hawks for their awful series against Orlando, but they played well in the season. Season and playoffs are completely different situations and people need to realize. I don't think people really take into account how big of a role a coach has in the playoffs, for one. And how certain players can't stand the pressure in the offseason. I have no doubt in my mind that the top 4 seeds in the East would be competing and MAYBE one of the teams wouldn't make it.
And besides ONLY Boston coast in the season? Spurs are pretty much the greatest example of such, except for maybe this year.

surf and turf
05-14-2010, 08:14 AM
You could also make a case that because of their tinsle town charecter if the Lakers played in the East they would be pretty banged up right now from its physical nature. It has never been easy to get throught the East. I dont care how bad the teams are, your going to get the hell beat out of you all year. Kobe wouldnt be able to wear makeup because it would run all over the court and that would ruin his confidence.

VivaLaShark
05-14-2010, 08:18 AM
Agreed pointless.

The C's didn't coast... They Struggled, the entire regular season... They didn't beat the Cavs, LeBron beat his own team by playing aloof and indifferent. The Celtics are going to get swept by a younger, more athletic and better Magic team and I am going to love every second of it.

surf and turf
05-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Agreed pointless.

The C's didn't coast... They Struggled, the entire regular season... They didn't beat the Cavs, LeBron beat his own team by playing aloof and indifferent. The Celtics are going to get swept by a younger, more athletic and better Magic team and I am going to love every second of it.

The entire regular season? Im not sure when you started watching the season but the started 25-5. Im no genius but that is not how i would define struggling. Could you explain what part of 25-5 you consider a struggle.

RaysFan
05-14-2010, 08:39 AM
This is a dumb thread.

VivaLaShark
05-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Sorry. They struggle 60% of the season.

surf and turf
05-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Sorry. They struggle 60% of the season.

and you see no coincidence that they declined when injuries started...interesting.

VivaLaShark
05-14-2010, 08:55 AM
When do they not have injuries? They are old.

Steveoknox24
05-14-2010, 09:25 AM

I would have totally disagreed with you at about 3/4 through the season. The Hawks were beasts there for a while. After that pitiful breakdown, the Nets could have given them a run.

The only thing is, you can't knock the East. It really isn't the teams' fault. No team wants to be bad (this year is the exception with the FA class). The last three years and four out of five, the #1 went to West teams. That's why so many people suggest the draft and the lottery are fixed. David Stern loves him some west coast. I don't want to bring up the Stern the Corrupt but its definitely relevant. We'll see come June though I guess won't we.

Steveoknox24
05-14-2010, 09:29 AM
When do they not have injuries? They are old.

Hahaha, this reminds me of something Charles Barkley said. He was saying how he didn't think there was any way the Celtics got past the Cavs (sorry Charles). The reporter said that all season the Celtics were hurt and it was in everyone's minds that now that they were healthy again, they'd get better and be able to make a run. Charles:
"Old people don't get healthy. They die!"

I was almost on the floor.

J-Relo
05-14-2010, 09:34 AM
let's wait for an upcoming sweep

jetsRsnitchaz
05-14-2010, 09:44 AM
You could also make a case that because of their tinsle town charecter if the Lakers played in the East they would be pretty banged up right now from its physical nature. It has never been easy to get throught the East. I dont care how bad the teams are, your going to get the hell beat out of you all year. Kobe wouldnt be able to wear makeup because it would run all over the court and that would ruin his confidence.

hahahaha

Pierzynski4Prez
05-14-2010, 10:02 AM
weren't the spurs the 7th seed? I think they are better than that.

Ishkabibble
05-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Th West is clearly deeper but I'd take the Top 3 in the East ANYTIME against the West's Top 3. Talk about your Dog Shows: Denver & Dallas? Orlando, Boston and Cleveland can hang with (or are probably better) than any threesome you can present from the West.
Also, what was Houston seeded when they won the 2nd of their back-to-back titles in the mid-90's? I think 6th. Bottom line: they could've cared less about their regular season record....exactly like this years Celtics.
The Celtics are suddenly looking like a team that could run the table and win it all. No remaining playoff team has a deeper bench and Rondo has become a dominant player, not just a terrific PG. But the most important change of all; their confidence level. They're finally healthy and seem to have done a 180-degree, postseason turnaround in their confidence level. Brace yourself, Orlando.

Double_R
05-14-2010, 10:39 AM
this is a dumb thread.

+1

I'd still take the Cavs over any team in the West besides the Lakers...

3 of the top 4 teams in the NBA are in the East... This thread is pointless... The West is only harder for the top teams in the 1st round of the playoffs, after that the East is tougher... This thread is a Laker fan trying to make himself feel better about going 6 games against the Thunder, then beating up on a weak and injured Jazz team...

mikantsass
05-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Its funny how the OP is ragging on the East when 3 of the top 4 teams in the league come from the east. And you could make an arguement that 4 of the top 5 teams come from the east. Yes the West is better top to bottom, but the East has the better teams at the top. IMO only the Lakers can compete with the Cavs Magic and Celts.

And I also think it was pretty evident the Spurs cruised in the regular season. Parker missed time. Ginobilli has been banged up. Pop rested Duncan some nights. And all they did in the playoffs was beat Dallas, who, according to PSD was the best team in the 2nd half of the regular season. So what does that tell you?

DenButsu
05-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Not sure if this really fits in perfectly here or not, but I thought this was an interesting little factoid tweeted by johnhollinger

This is the seventh time in eight years that East's No. 1 seed has failed to make Finals. '08 Celtics were only exception.

clutchski
05-14-2010, 11:37 AM

They haven't 'proven' that just based on one series :rolleyes:

magichatnumber9
05-14-2010, 11:55 AM
The entire regular season? Im not sure when you started watching the season but the started 25-5. Im no genius but that is not how i would define struggling. Could you explain what part of 25-5 you consider a struggle.If you watched every one of those 30 games like I did you would understand. I just have better things to do today then explain it to you.

Raidaz4Life
05-14-2010, 11:58 AM
The Lakers had coasting tendencies all season, as well as the spurs... what's your point?

Hitman21
05-14-2010, 12:02 PM
is there any team in the west ..besides the lakers, that can take the celtics, cavs, or magic in a 7 game series? i dont see it happening

Raph12
05-14-2010, 12:25 PM
The top of the West is very weak, LA has no competition out there, but from 4-10, the East is much weaker.

DenButsu
05-14-2010, 12:34 PM
The top of the West is very weak, LA has no competition out there, but from 4-10, the East is much weaker.

If Denver hadn't lost their coach and gotten hit by injury troubles in the 2nd half of the season, I think the Nuggets could have played a very competitive series with the Lakers. Prior to the ASB, that's the direction things looked to be heading in.

Sadds The Gr8
05-14-2010, 12:47 PM
I don't know if he's trying to rag on the Celts, at least I didn't see it.

But it does seem like a pretty pointless thread, it's no secret the East is worse, its been that way for awhile.

What's the point of this failed thread. C's were not healthy, oh well. The timing just seems off for this.

This is exactly what I was saying. I don't get why this is thread was made. It's pretty much just stating the obvious.

Raph12
05-14-2010, 12:59 PM
If Denver hadn't lost their coach and gotten hit by injury troubles in the 2nd half of the season, I think the Nuggets could have played a very competitive series with the Lakers. Prior to the ASB, that's the direction things looked to be heading in.

Agreed, Denver, Dallas and San Antonio matchup well with LA, all 3 teams were eliminated before they got a shot, if the Spurs finished 8th and coach Karl was healthy, LA would actually have fought hard... I actually think that whoever comes out of the East will beat LA.